Black Diamond from Screen Innovations? - Page 94 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #2791 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
With my 0.8 3D works just fine, but as mentioned, I have an LCD projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
3Z3VH;

are you talking about active 3d or passive?
the BD has known issues with screen artifacts with passive 3D.
post #2793 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 92
^^^

active here, lcos... si is aware of it, they knew right away what I was calling about when I told them what pj I have...

they were very helpful, and I would buy their product again. just doesn't work for me now.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #2794 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What exactly is the problem with the BD and LCOS? I had been imagining a BD G3 1.4 in my theater with a Sony 95es driving it. I thought I read other people using the same with fantastic results.
post #2795 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

afaik, it's JUST the sony and the mits (which uses the sony panels)... it is possible that the 95 has changed something, i'm going on what blake at screen innovations told me...

with the mits glasses... if you do not hold your head at precisely the correct angle (slightly cocked to one side), you get blue and white streaks from the top to the bottom of the screen.. if you are so much as one degree off, these show up, and it is not insignificant (imagine looking through a very dirty streaky window)...

with the monster glasses... same issue as above, plus a massive blue push...

if considering either of these pj's with a 1.4 screen, i'd suggest giving si a call first... they are very helpful and honest...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #2796 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
You should have got a 2.7 gain screen
post #2797 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

if i had the ability to look in the future, there's many things i should have done...

hint: i had the screen BEFORE i bought this pj...

edit: got any other brilliant advice, newbie?

- chris

post #2798 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

i have a 1.4 g3, not .8, so it may be different... however, on the 1.4, the screen artifacts are the same whether using a dlp or a lcos...

a heads up to those with a 1.4... if you purchase a mits or sony lcos pj, don't plan on using 3d with it... due to the polarization method of the sony light engine (which mits also uses in the hc900d), it does not play nice with the screen... i love my bd screen, but it is going bye-bye because of this...

don't know if that applies to the .8 as well...

Actually, those projectors with mismatched polarization on the green will not work with ANY screen if you attempt dual projector polarized stereo. However, will still work with single projector active stereo.

Now for those using dual JVCs for polarized stereo, only the BD II 2.70 will work properly, as the coating on the .8 and 1.4 will break the polarization. But for active stereo with a single projector there is no issue.
post #2799 of 3727 Old 12-15-2011, 11:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

3Z3VH;

are you talking about active 3d or passive?
the BD has known issues with screen artifacts with passive 3D.

I am using the Active 3D offered by the Panasonic AE7000U. I was under the impression BD screens did not maintain proper polarization for passive 3D, no matter what projector is used. Am I wrong in that aspect ? I would love to find out that in the future I could use my screen for passive 3D as well !
post #2800 of 3727 Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post

I am using the Active 3D offered by the Panasonic AE7000U. I was under the impression BD screens did not maintain proper polarization for passive 3D, no matter what projector is used. Am I wrong in that aspect ? I would love to find out that in the future I could use my screen for passive 3D as well !

Yes the BD 1.4 and .8 will break polarization - but they rectified that with the 2.70, which is designed for passive 3D.

I sold my 1.4 to a friend without the frame and just rolled in a 2.70 panel instead. Very happy with it.
post #2801 of 3727 Old 12-16-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Actually, those projectors with mismatched polarization on the green will not work with ANY screen if you attempt dual projector polarized stereo. However, will still work with single projector active stereo.

Now for those using dual JVCs for polarized stereo, only the BD II 2.70 will work properly, as the coating on the .8 and 1.4 will break the polarization. But for active stereo with a single projector there is no issue.

gotcha... good to know, just in case...

i very briefly considered purchasing 2.7 material to replace the 1.4 material... but more screen artifacts/hotspotting wasn't going to get it done for me... so i ended up ordering a da-lite hphc from avs which should be here shortly...

we shall see how that works out... hopefully i won't have 3 screens for sale instead of just the 2 i have now...

- chris

post #2802 of 3727 Old 12-16-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Black Diamond Zero Edge video FWIW:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6aj...m6pvq-07nbE8xT
post #2803 of 3727 Old 12-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Liked: 14
Ok, so do I understand this correctly? For passive 3D, BD won't work except for the new 2.7. For active 3D any BD will work, albeit the old and new 0.8 will be a bit too dark

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #2804 of 3727 Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

close. check my posts again.

before purchasing a .8 or 1.4 for use with 3d, I would call si and talk to them. they are very helpful and shoot straight.

ps. mine is for sale...

- chris

post #2805 of 3727 Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 PM

Liked: 14
Thanks but still confused... I already have a BD 0.8 Gen 1 with my Pioneer FPJ-1. Eventually I will replace the PJ and would probably get another JVC d-ila projector, but most likely that would probably include 3D capability. Just so I know what to except, would I need a new screen at that point.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #2806 of 3727 Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

well... you will likely need a new screen for 3d anyway, as it would be intolerably dim on a .8 screen... keep in mind that active 3d eats up about 75% (or more) of your lumens... even on my 1.4, it was quite dim, and that was with a brand new lamp in the mits... i likely could have lived with it (at least for awhile) if i hadn't had the polarization issue...

and as a reminder, 2d isn't an issue... the mits throws a wonderful picture in 2d on my 1.4 g3...

don't know anything about the g1 screens though vis a vis polarization, sorry...

- chris

post #2807 of 3727 Old 12-20-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan View Post

Thanks but still confused... I already have a BD 0.8 Gen 1 with my Pioneer FPJ-1. Eventually I will replace the PJ and would probably get another JVC d-ila projector, but most likely that would probably include 3D capability. Just so I know what to except, would I need a new screen at that point.

This depends on more than just whether the screen retains polarization.

Not sure what size your current screen is, or whether you intend to go larger.

I have a 133 inch 2.40 aspect ratio screen, and even with the 1.4 gain, my old JVC 550 was plenty bright, even more so with the RS40s that I have now.

However, I replaced the fabric with the 2.7 specifically just to get passive 3D.

If you are not sure you'll be doing passive 3D you can always stick to your current .8 screen until you get a new projector and see how it looks. The .8 does have the advantage of much better performance in a room that is not totally dark.

No sense in popping for a new screen before trying the new pj on the existing one, unless you have decided you definitely want passive 3D.
post #2808 of 3727 Old 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:

If you are not sure you'll be doing passive 3D you can always stick to your current .8 screen until you get a new projector and see how it looks. The .8 does have the advantage of much better performance in a room that is not totally dark.

No sense in popping for a new screen before trying the new pj on the existing one, unless you have decided you definitely want passive 3D.

Good advice. I have a 100" .8 gain BD that I use with an Epson 5010 and the 3D picture is more than bright enough.

Karl S.
post #2809 of 3727 Old 12-25-2011, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Got my 120" BD 0.8 curved screen (2.40) up on the wall yesterday. It throws a stunning picture. The black level details are incredible. I have a Infocus 8602, but will get a Sim2 Lumis 3D-S soon.
post #2810 of 3727 Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM

Liked: 45
Does anyone here have a 2.7 gain BD in their house yet? If so, how's it working out for you?

I'm looking to "future proof" my screen as much as possible (4K ready and good for 3D). I like my projected image with "pop," but don't know how sensitive I'd be to hotspotting and visible texture. Currently, I'm using an absurdly crappy 135" Elite Screens fixed frame and I just want something that doesn't flood my room with light. The screen has also started to "streak" for lack of a better term, and there's about three or four vertical lines that run the height of the screen and are very visible in any light scenes. I only paid about $500 for the screen, but the quality is absolutely awful. However, it was my first foray into projection and I had a minuscule budget. Thankfully, it's time to upgrade!

Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin, and to my knowledge, there's nowhere to see a Black Diamond in person. I requested a sample from SI, but I know it won't be a good representation of the final product. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a good idea of the visible texture, however.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in hotspotting/texture visibility between the Zero Edge (the rigid material) and the regular fixed screen? I really like the look of the Zero Edge, but I don't know if I'd be able to actually get it downstairs to the theater.

Also, would increasing the distance of the projector to the screen improve the visible texture/hotspotting at all? Right now, I'm at about a 25-foot throw distance with my 8500UB.

And finally, is SI planning on introducing Gen IV of the material anytime soon?

As an aside, I have to say that the customer service so far has been great. Very prompt turnaround time for questions, very polite and informative.

When I inquired about the 2.7 gain screens, they did try to push me to the 1.4 automatically (without knowing the intended application)... not sure why. Maybe some people aren't satisfied with the 2.7?
post #2811 of 3727 Old 12-31-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:

well... you will likely need a new screen for 3d anyway, as it would be intolerably dim on a .8 screen... keep in mind that active 3d eats up about 75% (or more) of your lumens... even on my 1.4, it was quite dim, and that was with a brand new lamp in the mits... i likely could have lived with it (at least for awhile) if i hadn't had the polarization issue...

Well, my experience with the BD 1.4 G3 has been very positive for 3D. I've got a RS40 projector + JVC glasses and got away with using Anime mode for most of the 3D titles I've seen. I haven't noticed that much of light loss when using 3D. Its mostly attributed to the fact that the screen retains most of the polarization, so there isn't much loss from the 3D glasses. Plus, the screen gain is rather accurate (as opposed to many other screen brands). However, I never watch 3D with the lights on.
post #2812 of 3727 Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Yes - the 1.4 is very bright with most material I tried - I only replaced it because I needed passive 3D polarisation retention.

@Brian - I love the 2.7 - but be aware you will need to be able to control the light in your room to get the best out of this screen. It cannot block light the same way that the .8 and 1.4 do.

Ideally, you should be 12 feet away or more so as not to notice the screen structure. Distance of the projector is not going to make much difference - it is more down to the distance of the viewer. However, as a rule, I would mount your projector as far away as possible, and as close to the center of the screen as possible.

I haven't had any issues with hotspotting. If you are too far off to the sides, you will be able to "objectively" discern dimming at the far corners (narrow viewing cone), but "subjectively" this is not something you notice during regular viewing.
post #2813 of 3727 Old 01-02-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Yes - the 1.4 is very bright with most material I tried - I only replaced it because I needed passive 3D polarisation retention.

@Brian - I love the 2.7 - but be aware you will need to be able to control the light in your room to get the best out of this screen. It cannot block light the same way that the .8 and 1.4 do.

Ideally, you should be 12 feet away or more so as not to notice the screen structure. Distance of the projector is not going to make much difference - it is more down to the distance of the viewer. However, as a rule, I would mount your projector as far away as possible, and as close to the center of the screen as possible.

I haven't had any issues with hotspotting. If you are too far off to the sides, you will be able to "objectively" discern dimming at the far corners (narrow viewing cone), but "subjectively" this is not something you notice during regular viewing.

Thanks a lot for the reply and insight!

If all goes according to plan, I should have 100% light control in the home theater. I gave my fiancé permission to do the interior design for the upstairs portion of the house, if I could have total control over the home theater design. Compromise is always good!

The main reasons I'm considering a BD 2.7 is threefold. First, I'd like a 4k ready screen. Second, my next projector will definitely be 3D, and with the current limitations of mid-priced projectors, I'll need all the brightness I can get. Third, I would like to be able to host football parties and keep the lights up a bit-- no serious movie-watching with the lights up.

Hopefully, they'll send out that sample soon so I can test it out!
post #2814 of 3727 Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

Does anyone here have a 2.7 gain BD in their house yet? If so, how's it working out for you?

I'm looking to "future proof" my screen as much as possible (4K ready and good for 3D). I like my projected image with "pop," but don't know how sensitive I'd be to hotspotting and visible texture. Currently, I'm using an absurdly crappy 135" Elite Screens fixed frame and I just want something that doesn't flood my room with light. The screen has also started to "streak" for lack of a better term, and there's about three or four vertical lines that run the height of the screen and are very visible in any light scenes. I only paid about $500 for the screen, but the quality is absolutely awful. However, it was my first foray into projection and I had a minuscule budget. Thankfully, it's time to upgrade!

Unfortunately, I live in Wisconsin, and to my knowledge, there's nowhere to see a Black Diamond in person. I requested a sample from SI, but I know it won't be a good representation of the final product. Hopefully, I'll be able to get a good idea of the visible texture, however.

Does anyone know if there's a difference in hotspotting/texture visibility between the Zero Edge (the rigid material) and the regular fixed screen? I really like the look of the Zero Edge, but I don't know if I'd be able to actually get it downstairs to the theater.

Also, would increasing the distance of the projector to the screen improve the visible texture/hotspotting at all? Right now, I'm at about a 25-foot throw distance with my 8500UB.

And finally, is SI planning on introducing Gen IV of the material anytime soon?

As an aside, I have to say that the customer service so far has been great. Very prompt turnaround time for questions, very polite and informative.

When I inquired about the 2.7 gain screens, they did try to push me to the 1.4 automatically (without knowing the intended application)... not sure why. Maybe some people aren't satisfied with the 2.7?

Take a tape measure and stretch it out to the same length as the screen. Then take two people and see if you can get the tape down the stairs with out bending it. Keep in mind that you can only fit the tape through in a way that allows for the height of the screen.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2815 of 3727 Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Take a tape measure and stretch it out to the same length as the screen. Then take two people and see if you can get the tape down the stairs with out bending it. Keep in mind that you can only fit the tape through in a way that allows for the height of the screen.

Haha, probably should have mentioned I don't have the house (or home theater) yet! Planning on buying a new house in spring, and a space for a dedicated home theater is a must. I just know that a lot of the houses in the area are laid out similarly, and most of the time (every house I've seen, at least) the basement door is always very inconveniently located.

But, that's good advice for when I eventually do buy a house!
post #2816 of 3727 Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post

Black Diamond .8 and 1.4 work great with the Panasonic 7000 in 3D.
post #2817 of 3727 Old 01-05-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

Thanks a lot for the reply and insight!

If all goes according to plan, I should have 100% light control in the home theater. I gave my fiancé permission to do the interior design for the upstairs portion of the house, if I could have total control over the home theater design. Compromise is always good!

The main reasons I'm considering a BD 2.7 is threefold. First, I'd like a 4k ready screen. Second, my next projector will definitely be 3D, and with the current limitations of mid-priced projectors, I'll need all the brightness I can get. Third, I would like to be able to host football parties and keep the lights up a bit-- no serious movie-watching with the lights up.

Hopefully, they'll send out that sample soon so I can test it out!

All Black Diamond materials are rated at 4K. You can do one of the new JVC e-Shift projectors in both 4K mode and 3D mode on all of our BD materials. We have a video with myself and Dan from JVC showing the JVC and BD together.
post #2818 of 3727 Old 01-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post

All Black Diamond materials are rated at 4K. You can do one of the new JVC e-Shift projectors in both 4K mode and 3D mode on all of our BD materials. We have a video with myself and Dan from JVC showing the JVC and BD together.

Hi Blake,

I saw the video on the site, and I was very impressed. In fact, that's the reason I started to look at BD products-- I loved the look of that Zero Edge used in the video. I requested a few samples and can't wait to test them out.

At this point, I would be sold (love the aesthetic, comparatively wide viewing angles, improved contrast, brightness, etc.) but I'm worried about the visible screen texture which others have reported. But, we'll see how sensitive I am to it.
post #2819 of 3727 Old 01-07-2012, 02:01 PM

with the borders included?

Quote:

^^^

close. check my posts again.

before purchasing a .8 or 1.4 for use with 3d, I would call si and talk to them. they are very helpful and shoot straight.

ps. mine is for sale...

post #2820 of 3727 Old 01-08-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

sent you a pm...

- chris

Reply Screens

Tags
Projection Screens , Pure Acoustics Supernova C 250 Watt Center Speaker , Speaker Systems , Screen Innovations

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page