I need a starting point - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-17-2001, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a new house and setting up a dedicated home theater. I will be sitting approximately 10 feet from the speakers. This would be 13 to 15 feet from the screen if I used a rear projection system with the screen at the wall and the main speakers set up in the room. I have also looked at the Mitsubishi 65 Projection Television WS 65869.

What are the advantages of using a rear projection system over a Mitsubishi?

What size screen is optimal? How much do they cost?

With a rear projection system does the color of the walls in the theater make a big difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-17-2001, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Welcome to the forum James. I think you're having the same confusion on rear vs. front projection that a lot of people have. When the light from the projector hits the back of the screen and shines through, that's rear projection (like the Mits). If the projector is firing at the viewing side of the screen, it's front projection.

If you have good light control, front projection is the way to go in my opinion. It's the only to get a theater size image. You can easily get a 7- or 8-foot wide screen, which would work good from your distance. I found that getting the front of the room opened up by removing the TV and associated furniture really improved the sound too.

From your seating postion, the screen should take up about 30 degrees of your field of vision. The size of the screen is also limited by the projector you choose. CRT projectors do not have enough light output to drive really big screens, and they need total light control. Digital projectors will drive a larger screen, and still put out an enjoyable picture with some ambient light.

Cost is all over the map. I'm out of touch with the latest in projectors since I bought my Sony VPL-VW10-HT a year ago. I think digital projectors run from about three grand up to about $15,000. CRT's go from two or three grand to $35- or $40,000. The experts on the projector forums are the ones to ask. I love my Sony. I paid about $6,000 for it, although I think they're less expensive now. The screen will range from $100 for a home-made one to $1500 for a top-of-the-line fixed, and up from there for motorized screens.

Dark colored walls and ceiling will enhance the picture quality. My living room has off-white finishes, and it does reduce the contrast somewhat.

Good luck with your project. You'll find tons of great information here.

Pete

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #3 of 4 Old 11-18-2001, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply. This is my second try at putting together a home theater. This time from the ground up. The sound of the room has been my primary concern up to this point. I don't want to put a large TV up front for this reason but I like the price point. What would be the throw distance for a 7-8 foot wide screen?
post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-2001, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Throw varies considerably between different projectors. My HT10 is 11'6" from lens to screen, and I can zoom my image from about 79" to 90" wide. I think digital projectors designed for business use need to be further from the screen.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page