Large Screen Samples - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-19-2001, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a way to get hold of usable screen samples instead of these little 10"x10" swatches?

It is extremely hard to determine what the end result of the image will truely be. It would be nice if screen companies sent out a 4ft.x4ft. sample to compare with other 4ft.x4ftsamples to see the true end result will be instead of guessing. They could then be set up for more accurate comparisons.

I figure 4 ft is large enough to make a true result determination yet small enough to not want to keep it as a "free" screen. Even if you could put a deposit on a credit card and get the $$ back after the sample is returned would work for me.

Does anyone do something like this?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2001, 11:55 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Nope. Not to my understanding. I was looking at creating dealer 'kits' for those who carry my product, where they are sent large sample pieces to lend out to their customers. They might last a couple of weeks.

One huge problem, I would probably end up replacing the 'kits' CONSTANTLY. Customers have a tendacy to handle borrowed product like ****, and I mean exactly that. So, you might say that's true ... but this is not everyone, that's for sure. Most will treat it well. then along comes the idiot, who thinks he deserves special treatment. One day selling high-end audio will tell you that.

So, it may not be the average consumer's behavior at all, but... with a solid lack of familiarity of screen material handling on the consumer's side (as well as not taking the time to make SURE the product is not compromised by others in a given household, protected from 'accidents', etc.), well, it's only a simple matter of time until each and every sample is ruined to a point where they are beyond any usefulness.

Once a item has been lent out a few times, especially something like a screen sample which is floppy, and hard to handle, well, you can see where the problem begins.

Just being honest.

Although, I will STILL give it a shot, and see how it turns out.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
Old 11-20-2001, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I understand.

Just venting a bit.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2001, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Jeff,

I don't know about 4' * 4', but you should be able to get samples larger than the regular size for a projection test. You might have to call the companies directly, but they should be able to accomodate you if they think you are serious about buying a screen.

Regards,

Kam Fung