Rgb Grey Paint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-27-2001, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for a way to create a painted effect that will not only improve blacks and whites but color as well. Colors on a white screen are good (blacks are rubbish) but not on a gray screen (blacks are great, whites I have created thus far are good, but not great yet).

So I thought the gray must have the RGB colors in it as well to compensate for the gray effect gray has on colors. Does anyone have ideas how to create a smooth colored effect?

I was thinking of painting a layer of gray with a little blue, one with a little green, and one with red, giving a reddish gray, bluish gray and a greenish gray. I am not sure yet how I can achieve being able to indirectly see all three layers. Does anyone have experience on achieving this kind of painting effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-02-2001, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Well I guess no one has had any experience with this.

I halted my experiments on trying for RGB paint as although I saw colour improvements there were to many problems, which are beyond non automated industrial/printing techniques.

In the meantime I can see that changing your screen colour you can colour correct your PJ in a very easy and cheap way. for the VW10 I can see that a red gray (or red white if you prefer) would give great colour inprovement over pure gray (if there is such a thing ofcourse). I have the vw11 which does not seem to require the red colour correction.

My latest experiments (NB: i watch movies during this, not merely burning the lamp) are concentrating on grays for the VW11 and thus far I noticed BLUE GRAY :) is the best for the VW11. I have just completed 6 different versions of this, and will see the result of what I have created during the coming week. On my first gray blue test (pre the 6 new versions) without gain I saw that not only did all colours improve (no tweaking or smart done to the pj) the contrast and details improved dramatically hence I am continuing along these lines. I do still believe gain is a requirement (136 inch) which could be seen next to the same patch but with gain (altho too much gain).

If there is anyone who has made similar conclusions what are your experiences? My blue grays are now from lighter to darker blue gray and one patch with silver paint added (probably not enough added tho, as i noteced as the paint dried.)

Mo
post #3 of 5 Old 12-03-2001, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Mo,

Color-correcting with screen paint is both simple and complicated at the same time.

It is simple in the sense that a pink screen (which is a color selective gray screen) will reduce blue, green thus increasing the relative amount of red in the image. This rather simple solution can make a 9000K+ projector closer to 6500K without losing any contrast ratio.

It is complicated because we are dealing with non-ideal blackbody radiators that don't give out a uniform spectrum. The UHP, NSH, etc's blotchy spectrum is often reflected in poor CRI numbers which isn't a problem with normal white screens. But, as soon as colorant is added the exact results will be rather unpredictable unless spectography is done of both the bulb and the paint's transfer function characteristics. If there is an odd ball emission from the bulb that is keeping the projector from outputting a solid image, a pigment could be added to the paint to squelch the offender. However, we only have three color sensors in our eyes that can't distinquish the all the nuances or the various wavelengths of light.

I personally have done pink screens for my friends with good success; but those were pretty much eye-balled guesses. Also, my friends miss out on the benefits that the gain of professional screens have to offer. (Until a Pinkhawk comes out, I think I will be giving up the pink screen thing.)

Bottom line: to do really good exact work will require really good measurement equipment and the appropriate paint, but the idea is sound and decent results can be had with a little trial and error.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. I am very suprised to here that the blue gray screen is working so well for your 11HT. The 11HT has a blue shift like 99% of the digital projectors out there. A blue screen should only further cool the image.

The Mothership is now boarding.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-03-2001, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

... to be continued as paint vw11 as this topic name is no longer applicable
post #5 of 5 Old 12-08-2001, 05:04 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
"Ahem."

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page