F/L/R speakers behind Stewart Screenwall Electrimask - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2001, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I' already to move forward with a 16:9 100" wide Stewart Deluxe Screenwall (1.5 gain Ultramatte, microperf), but I can't help but feeling that I *really* want the horizontal Electrimask version.

I will have my 3 fronts behind the fixed screen (Aerial LR5s and a CC5) and was wondering if there would be any interference from the masking system--the LR5s will be pushed close to the outer edge(s) of the screen (as far to the edge as I can get them without putting the woofer/tweeter behind the fixed screen frame), and even in 2.35 mode, the 30" tall LR5s shouldn't have any "clearance" issues with the 40"+ tall (I think at 2.35, with a 100" width, the height is like 42").

So, anything I'm missing (besides the added cost)? Yes, I know some people think microperf is the work of the devil, but I don't want to get into that.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2001, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, microperf is the work of the devil...ok, so it's not that bad. But the Stewart Horizontal Electrimask Screenwall is one awesome screen. I can personally attest that masking makes for a much more enjoyable viewing experience. Here's a couple of pics of my Stewart Horizontal Electrimask Screenwall...

http://www.digitaltheater.com/pictur.../screen178.jpg

http://www.digitaltheater.com/pictur.../screen235.jpg
Old 12-06-2001, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I guess I'll have to break open the piggy bank...I really, reall want one of these. DMan, that's a nice looking screen...curse you for making me spend more money! :)

Alex doesn't live here anymore
Old 12-06-2001, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

<drool> That's a nice screen you've got there :D
Old 12-08-2001, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I came across the exact problem in designing my theater!

If you move the masking in for 4:3, the side speakers would be eclipsed. Moreover, with lesser screen widths, even some other aspect ratios would impinge on the L and R speakers.

I moved the R and L LCRs out to the sides and forward of the screen and had them hidden in a false wall, cloaked by fabric.

This way all speakers are hidden, the center is still behind the screen and I was actually able to increase the overall screen size (125" wide, 2.35). It is a better speaker arrangement, too, as the LCRs are not all in the same plane.

Instead of the DMan's awesome electromask, I will have an electric curtain / drape do the horizontal masking with the velvet curtains acting as the masking.

Good Luck

Jeff

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009