Poll - Are there wrinkles in tensioned roll-up Stewart screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2001, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
SFC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in the Stewart Grayhawk screen but need to have it roll up on the ceiling. I know they have several tensioned roll-down screens, but wanted to know how 'flat' (i.e., lack of wrinkles) they really are when lowered. Do they look good immediately, or do they require some time to smooth out?

Thanks in advance!

SFC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2001, 12:57 PM

They are very flat and require no smooth out time, in my experience. The cylinder appear to be about 3" in diameter which helps prevent any waves.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2001, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

They'd better not wrinkle, if it does you have a problem and should contact Stewart! :) The screen should unroll flat right away.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #4 of 5 Old 12-07-2001, 07:43 PM

Caution,
I have an electrimask 2.0 close to a year old. This screen is a Steward (electrimask and very expensive) and I do have wrinkle problems. When I let it down for full 4:3 I have to let it sit awhile for the tension tabs to begin to work. This is after about an hour or so. Also when screen is being lowerd wrinkles come in and go out as the screen drops, but for 2:3:1 it just happens to be in the wrinkle now begins area. When watching a 2:35:1 I really have problems with the wrinkles. While watching Pearl Harbor tonight (example,which is 2:35:1) there was a very previlent wrinkle at the left of center 3/4 up from the bottom, and believe me they do show while watching. I have contacted Steward but they want me to cut the side tension tab area and relocate the side tabs in further, there's not much material there and I really am not qualified to do this. They sent me a kit for this work but I didn't want to be cutting on the blackout areas (tab locations) at the side of the screen. The dealer that I purchased through was no help so I began to deal with Steward on my own. I am very frustrated with this condition and I have nowhere to turn. I have been using rubberbands to take out the wrinkles by going from the drop down electrimask over to the tensioner line at the side of the screen. For what this screen and installation cost me I really feel kinda upset at my purchase. I believe that the arch from the top of the side tab area on the side of the screen down to the weight bar at the bottom should have been more aggressive more of and arch. This would have possibly put more side pull on the tension line in any screen position and for the small amount more of tension required to remove the wrinlkles the greater side pull would have possibly performed this task. I am not slamming Steward, I like the product but there are some hiccups that need to be addressed. I have been talking with one of the reps at Steward and he is very kind but I still have no resolution. Oh yes by the way, I have turned the tensioner tab screws at the lower outside ends to see if that would correct the problem and that to was no help. My warranty runs out this December and now I guess that I am on my own. My wife thought I was nuts to spend what I spent on this screen but you have to take a chance. I didn't know any one else who had experience with the electrimask Steward screens so I stepped out because of their great reputation listening to the dealer and reading the web and so I made the purchased. All that I can say is continue to ask around and then decide.
Greg
:(
post #5 of 5 Old 12-07-2001, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

If this is a problem that has been bothering you for a while, running out of the warranty period doesn't mean you're on your own. The problem I see here is your dealer, he's not supporting you as well as he should, which is really a shame. Have you considered sending the screen back to Stewart to be repaired? Obviously they would have a lot more experience with it, especially if you don't want to cut into the blackout area. The problem doesn't sound unfixable, and it's certainly not something you should live with considering how much you paid for it.

Good Luck!

Kam Fung
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page