Better Screen for Sharp LCD Projector?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2001, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first post to AVS Forum: Screen upgrade?

I see a lot of discussion about Stewart Greyhawk, Da-Lite, hi-gain, glass bead, etc. It sounds like a lot of you have a lot of experience with different applications. So now I'm thinking maybe I can improve the performance of my Sharp LCD Projector (1000 lumen, 400:1 contrast ratio) with a better screen?

I currently use the Sharp XS-106AMGR glass bead screen, purchased with the projector. Its a 16x9 electric rollup, 52" x 92" viewing area. Can anyone comment/recommend a screen that will improve black level and shadow detail without losing significant brightness (Greyhawk? Firehawk?)

Thanks for all replies.
:confused:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-06-2001, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

What model of projector are you using?

Anyways, if you currently have a glass bead screen you will likely have to sacrifice a little brightness to move to another screen (it shouldn't be noticeable). You should gain much better image uniformity from this, though (the corners should be as bright as the centre of the screen). With the screen size you have you could go well with a Greyhawk if you have some light control (i.e. can shade some windows, turn off lights). You will probably find that the image is not as bright as it used to be, but your black level should get much better. The upcoming Firehawk may be a better fit for you, it should give you a brightness closer to what you have now and it will still improve your black level, although your absolute black level may not be as low as with the Greyhawk.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #3 of 4 Old 12-06-2001, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kam. I'm using the Sharp XV-DW100U. In spite of a lot of negative criticism I've read about the unit (value vs. price, etc.) its actually a very good LCD projector. It exhibits very good and even brightness across the entire screen and color rendition is excellent. Its pixel size is small enough to not be distracting when sitting 12 - 14' from the 106" screen. Its only drawback is less than optimal black level which is basically inherent in most reflective light projectors (correct?). Do you know when the new Stewart Firehawk screen is supposed to be available? That sounds like an interesting candidate.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2001, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

I have no idea when the Firehawk will be released, but the beta doesn't start till the new year. Release should be soon after the results of the beta are in.

Regards,

Kam Fung
Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page