Purchased screen has waves, need advice for new screen... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, I need some serious help/advice

I am looking for a 120 electric projection screen for my newly purchased Mitsubishi HC4900. The projector is installed in the basement with good light control. I will be installing the screen inside a dropped ceiling (I have about 4 between the studs and the dropped ceiling). I'd like a screen with a small case that could fit inside the dropped ceiling, but if it sticks out, that is okay too. The screen does not have to have a case for a recessed ceiling.

I just purchased and received an Elite Screens Vmax2 120 screen. After installing it (it fit beautifully), and dropping the screen, the screen displayed many waves (see picture). This bugged the heck out of me, and so I just sent it back. I don't know if it was just a defective screen or they are all like that.

In any case, I have been looking for screens, and these are some of the options:

Replacement Elite Vmax2 - fits perfectly, but who knows if I will have the same problem
Elite Cinetension 2 121
Optoma Graywolf II 120
Da-Lite Cosmopolitan 119

I also just discovered Vutec screens, which seem pretty nice and reasonably priced.

I'd like a screen that has a wireless remote or a 12V trigger device. It seems like the Cosmopolitan does not come with anything standard.

I don't want to spend more than $1000, can I please get some recommendations?

Also, can I get some recommendations about which material would work best for me?

Thanks,

Alex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
The only way to avoid the waves is to get a tab tensioned screen. The only tab tensioned screen in your price range is the Elite CineTension screen.

Based on reviews of the HC4900 being a tad weak in the black level and a very bright projector a gray screen was suggested in the review at Projector Reviews.

Here is a link to a review on the CineTension.

There is also an Elite Screen thread that has many personal reviews on the CineTension screens.

There is another solution to screen waves that I have employed. Actually I have done two things. The first is to fill the bottom bar with lead bird shot. The second is to paint the screen with a matte paint, or someone else has applied a flat clear coat to kill the gain and restore the viewing cone. Both solutions have been quite successful. I do not know if the manufacturer's matte screens are also good at hiding waves though.

Many people ave reported that the Da-Lite High Power material does not reveal waves also. It does however have it's own pros and cons so you should look into that carefully.

In your case if you are happy with the white screen with the HC4900 then you may be interested in the solution HDholic employed to tame the gain on his screen. The product he used was Valspar Clear Protector "Flat" that is available at Lowes.

If I was starting over again and knew about the Elite CineTension then that is what I would buy.

Finally I have to say, looking at your photos, I must wonder why you would not be installing a fixed screen? I know a remote control retractable is cool and all, but for best image quality nothing can beat a perfectly flat fixed screen surface.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried to solve the problem of the waves on the screen I had by pulling on the bar in various ways, but nothing alleviated the problem completely. The only thing that did work was me pushing up in the center on the roller inside the case. That is obviously what is sagging in the middle, causing the screen to sag as well.

I am mainly looking for an electric screen because I want to make it completely invisible when not in use, and I am considering putting an LCD on the wall right behind the screen for regular viewing when there is light on.

I considered a fixed screen, but it seems like I drop down screen should work fine for me, as long as it doesn't have these mad waves. A friend of mine bought a cheap 120" electric screen off ebay (even cheaper than Elite, lol), and he has no waves or wrinkles. That is what pisses me off the most!

Anyway, I've been looking at the Cinetension 2 screen. Does anyone have this screen and/or can give me some info about how good it is?

Thanks,

Alex
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sashok View Post

I have tried to solve the problem of the waves on the screen I had by pulling on the bar in various ways, but nothing alleviated the problem completely. The only thing that did work was me pushing up in the center on the roller inside the case. That is obviously what is sagging in the middle, causing the screen to sag as well.

I am mainly looking for an electric screen because I want to make it completely invisible when not in use, and I am considering putting an LCD on the wall right behind the screen for regular viewing when there is light on.

I considered a fixed screen, but it seems like I drop down screen should work fine for me, as long as it doesn't have these mad waves. A friend of mine bought a cheap 120" electric screen off ebay (even cheaper than Elite, lol), and he has no waves or wrinkles. That is what pisses me off the most!

Anyway, I've been looking at the Cinetension 2 screen. Does anyone have this screen and/or can give me some info about how good it is?

Thanks,

Alex

I just received mine it is a cinetension 2 120 inch from the projector people who had a very good price and cheap shipping.I will have it up this weekend so i will post comments
wayne
post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You are correct. The waves are caused by the bowing of the roller which then does not allow the screen to hang straight down. To fix this, you need side-to-side tensioning. Some folks try hanging weights, etc. from the batten bar, but this does not help the bowed roller.

Quote:

There are a lot of Cinetension owners in here that might have more info for you too:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=585554

Marc Rumsey
Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
877-823-4452 x106 (Toll-Free)
marc@avscience.com
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Wayne - That would be awesome if you could post your impressions after you install it. I am really looking into getting one of the Cinetension screens...

I sent this screen back, and I need to talk to where I bought it from to get a full refund.

Marc - Thanks for the link, I've been reading through the thread to get an idea of what people think of the screen.

I see you work for AV Science, I've seen numerous posts where people reccomended calling up the store for information, I think I'll have to do that as well...
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page