STEWART VS. DA-lITE SCREEN? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-10-2001, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any real difference between Stewart Greyhawk and the Da-Lite Da Mat High Contrast. I've sold my Greyhawk and am going to new screen with 16:9 ratio. The difference in price between the two (92 x 52 16:9 electric tab tensioned) is about $900-$1000 which could buy a scaler or HTPC! Please help!

Thank you, Dave

PS: Dam Mat 0.80 gain, Greyhawk 0.85 - is image quality presentation of contrast, build quality similar or a big difference. I loved my Stewart before but it is the most pricey!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-11-2001, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Were you one of the beta testers? Those screens were 0.85 gain, I believe the release version was 0.95 gain. What projector are you using?

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #3 of 16 Old 12-11-2001, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Dave,
I am also going to purchase a Da-Lite screen. I am going to go with the Da-Lite CinemaVision 1.3 after talking to Rice Rocket and viewing his screen shots (view them here ). His quote was: "I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between an image projected on a DaLite 1.3 screen versus a Stewart 1.3 screen which costs about twice as much."

Now I know some may disagree with this, but for the difference in the money and after viewing his screen shots, I don’t see where I could be unhappy. Rice Rocket is using the same projector as I will be using and he also uses a Rock+ processor. The processor I decided against since most on the forum has assured me that I will get just as good of picture quality with a HTPC as an expensive processor.

Don
post #4 of 16 Old 12-12-2001, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys, i was not a BETA tester. I just sold my 100" electric Greyawk 4:3 and have been very happy with it. I have been using a Infocus LP350 DLP but am soon to switch to probably the Sanyo PLV60. The screen savings is killing me, I do not want to second guess not owning another Greyhawk but $800-$1000 savings can go a long way toward either a HTPC or new scaler.

Any Da-Lite electric screen users out there - please advise your level of contentment!

thanks again, Dave...
post #5 of 16 Old 12-12-2001, 05:29 PM

Hi Dave,

I'm very happy with my Da-Lite HC Tensioned Cosmopolitan Electrol. I'm using it with a DILA . I purchased a 10' wide hdtv version and I believe I saved about $1000-1300 over the Stewart. My friend has a Greyhawk which I auditioned a few months prior to getting the HC. I don't think there is a significant difference in PQ but I did not do a side by side comparison. The Greyhawk is made with a slightly thicker material whereas the HC is a vinyl material. I also purchased the IR low voltage controller and everything was very easy to install. When I installed the HC, I noticed a slight blemish on the screen which could not be removed so Da-Lite sent out another screen within 7 working days to replace it so customer service has been excellent. Maybe the build quality is better with the Stewart but at a significantly higher price.

No regrets on my end,

Rick
post #6 of 16 Old 12-12-2001, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

Just make sure that you do get the tensioned screen, it's worth the extra money. The differences are there between the Greyhawk and the HC DaMat, most noticeably the higher gain of the Greyhawk. You probably don't need the higher gain in this case as your screen size is pretty reasonable for the projector you're getting. A good HTPC is a really good idea, if it's the difference between having one and not, I would say get an HTPC. If you're willing to fiddle with the PC a little more, it's every bit as good as a Rock+ for film-source DVD, although the Rock+ will do interlacing of many other sources like cable and satellite.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #7 of 16 Old 12-13-2001, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Kam , thanks to all of you I think i will save the dollars and go with Da-Lite. Am I wrong to go with the 1.1 gain matte white screen , instead of their .80 gain high contrast screen? Room is family room, muti-purpose, ambient light pretty well controlled during day and well controlled at nightime.

$$$ saved will be used for HTPC or maybe the new 16:9 chip quadscan.

Dave
post #8 of 16 Old 12-16-2001, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

With a PLV-60, you would probably want to go with the HC Da-Mat. It will give you better results, better dynamic contrast and blacker blacks, but with a proportional reduction in white level.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #9 of 16 Old 12-17-2001, 04:38 PM

I've been watching this conversation with interest as I am at the same point in my screen selection process and am also leaning towards the Da-Lite high contrast screen material. My situation is complicated in that the only place I could mount my Cinema Experience 13HD is on the ceiling 20 feet from the screen. This results in me needing a much large screen than I had intended, but the image is still looks good on the temporary screen I've set up. Does this long distance projection require a higher contrast screen material due to a less illumination reaching the screen?
post #10 of 16 Old 12-17-2001, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

hmmm, how large a screen?

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #11 of 16 Old 12-18-2001, 09:55 AM

The 16x9 format screen would be 65" x 116" with a diagonal of 133". The seating area is about 15 feet back from the screen so I don't notice any screen door effect on the temporary screen I have set up, but I can see that I need more contrast in the black areas. Would I notice a loss in overall brightness if I went with a 0.8 gain material?
post #12 of 16 Old 12-18-2001, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

To Kam and the others: Well I've changed my mind again. Projector will be either Sanyo PLV60/SE13HD, or the new Hitachi. As for screen, I was so impressed with the electric tensioned 4:3 100" diag. Greyhawk now sold, that I feel I have to go with Don S. again! The question is; get a 16:9 92" x 52" (throw distance 15') electric tensioned Greyhawk - OR wait a few more weeks and get the new FIREHAWK? 0.95 gain vs. 1.3 gain, in a multi-purpose family room as mentioned above. With either projector I may be "too bright" with the FIREHAWK, but I could always tune down the brightness and achieve a little more contrast! Maybe this is a good problem?

Of course someone might say Dave get the Sharp 9000 with the Firehawk - that sounds at like a great combination of lumen count incredible contrast and with 1.3 gain great brightness?

any thoughts,

Dave
post #13 of 16 Old 12-18-2001, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Dave,

If you are choosing between the Firehawk and the Greyhawk, I would say go with the Greyhawk with a PLV-60. You should have enough brightness because your screen is not overly large and the Greyhawk will give you blacker blacks, even in ambient light. The Firehawk's black will naturally be lighter because of it's higher gain.

The Sharp 9000 is a killer projector, just make sure the slight rainbow doesn't bother you. The screen door will be much improved, the colour is great, and the black level is stellar. It's something you should consider, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

I don't know too much about the Hitachi and how good it's black levels are, but it probably has enough light output that you wouldn't need the extra gain of the Firehawk.

SRogers,

If you find your temporary screen is bright enough right now and it is not looking anywhere close to dim, you should be OK with a 0.8 gain screen. There will be a loss in brightness, but it should not be visible unless the screens are side-by-side. You do have a rather large screen, so brightness may be an issue, I couldn't tell for sure though. You could try zooming the image out a little more to simulate the loss in brightness that you would get. If you have a larger budget, the Greyhawk (0.95 gain) will have similar brightness, but all the advantages of a grey screen.

Regards,

Kam Fung
post #14 of 16 Old 12-19-2001, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

I too have the LP350 right now projecting onto DaLite HC 80x45 PermWall 0.80 gain screen
I only like the PQ under absolute light control (OK-dark)
The other day I saw a Yamaha -> Stewart 100in 16x9 1.5 gain screen (or so the salesman said)
The PQ with some ambient room lighting was much better than mine, it popped.
I am thinking the lumens are close [Yamaha=800, LP350=~900/1000 in video mode]
Accordingly if I went to a 1.3 gain screen that would give me a calculated 50%+ increase in ft/lamberts
See Screen Dimension Calculator http://www.teamzim.com/augie/screen_...calculator.xls
According to Don Stewart this would put my screen output up there with Tube TVs
as opposed to where I am now right in the middle between Cinema and TVs {24 ft/lamberts}
Blake over at Da-Lite is sending me some samples so I can see 4:cool:
post #15 of 16 Old 12-19-2001, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mmcdlc
OR wait a few more weeks and get the new FIREHAWK? 0.95 gain vs. 1.3 gain, in a multi-purpose family room as mentioned above.
The Firehawk does sound like it will be a great screen, but it won't start Beta testing until January and will be release later. So the wait will be more than a few weeks.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-19-2001, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
and love it. I've been auditioning DLP projectors for a few months now. It's 80x45 (HDTV type) with a custom (longer) drop to cover my HDTV. Bottom line: there's no way I could justify the price difference between the Stewart and Da-Lite products (especially with the remote control, etc.). My screen was shipped on time in perfect condition. Now if those 16:9 projectors would just drop in price!

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page