Sony G70 Screen Recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-10-2001, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to install an electric roll down screen, probably 45 by 80, possibly a wee bit larger. Still debating about Microperf or not.

What do people recommend? What gain? I can control the light in the room. May be up for the Stewart screens, if they are significantly better.

jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-11-2001, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Crt's should use a low gain screen 1 to 1.3. IMO Stewart screens are way overpriced.
Look at the Draper Dalite line. I chose the M1300 Cineperm mat'l because you can easily clean it. I have a 1272 Sony.
Also ask in the Crt forum, alot of G70 owners there, and dealers.

True bravery is arriving home late after a boy's night out, being assaulted by your wife with a broom, and still having the guts to ask: Are you still cleaning, or are you flying somewhere?
post #3 of 3 Old 12-12-2001, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Jim,

As is often the case in this world, you get what you pay for. Yes Stewart screens are indeed expensive but I would not use the term "overpriced". Is a Teranex overpriced? I guess it all depends on what it does. Stewart does what it does the best!

Last year, I worried that I might have gone over the top buying a Studiotek 130 electric tentioned screen instead of opting for the cheaper Da-lite model. Having not seen the Da-lite screen, I suspected that just maybe I wasted my money. I was wrong.

I recently did an install using a new Barco Cine 7 and Da-Lite 1.3 Gain (I think it was called cinemavision) Tab Tentioned screen. For the price, it was fine. However, every single aspect of the Studiotek was superior. Most importantly the screen area itself. Contrast, colours and everything else you care to mention look superior on this material.
I use a Barco 808s (8" CRT) and I must tell you, it suits CRT's beautifully. My screen is 87"x49" 1.78-1 which is the exact size (and screen) that fellow forum member TK Chan uses over in Hong Kong. I have seen his G70 throwing onto the Studiotek and it looks even better than mine. (TK uses amongst other things a Fara 3000).
You wont be dissapointed with Da-Lite, but if you want the best, you have to pay up.

Eric

ISF, THX & HAA Certified
AV Talk Founder
Closed Thread Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page