BenQ PE8720 flashing LED indicator codes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to the higher end video equipment scene and just installed a new BenQ PE8720 on a ceiling mount.

Okay, I probably should have powered it up before mounting it to make sure it worked, but I didn't. After ceiling mounting it and connecting the HDMI, S-Vid and power cables I turned the unit on for the first time and it doesn't power up.

The three indicator lights all flash orange at the same time and flash rate while the power button flashes blue. Does anyone know what this might indicate?

I called BenQ tech support and they said I should take it down from the ceiling and place it on a level surface (bottom side down) and try to start it up. Why would a projector not work when ceiling mounted (bottom side up) and then work when it is sitting on a stand with the bottom side down?

Any insight would be appreciated before I take it all down from the ceiling.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I don't have the manual (here at the office), but does the manual address this light seq

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #3 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
For some reason I'm not able to edit my post...so let me retype

I don't have the manual (here at the office), but does the manual address this light seqence in the troubling shooting portions towards the back of the manual? Sorry for stating the obvious, but you'd be surprised the number of folks that don't actually read the manual. I include myself at times too.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #4 of 21 Old 04-07-2008, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

For some reason I'm not able to edit my post...so let me retype

I don't have the manual (here at the office), but does the manual address this light seqence in the troubling shooting portions towards the back of the manual? Sorry for stating the obvious, but you'd be surprised the number of folks that don't actually read the manual. I include myself at times too.

Already checked ... there is only one page (page 34) with LED indicator status with minimal information. The manual does not provide an explanation for all three LED (Power, Temp, and Lamp) flashing orange at the same time. The manual only provides guidance on the Temp and Lamp LED when Off, Red, or Flashing red.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Hello Rboster,
I have the same problem ; flashing orange all 3 annd no fan nothing starting up so I am wondering if you were able to solve the problem although this is sometime ago... Please share the sollution with met if you found any.

Thanks in advance!!!
Greetz.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccardi View Post

Hello Rboster,
I have the same problem ; flashing orange all 3 annd no fan nothing starting up so I am wondering if you were able to solve the problem although this is sometime ago... Please share the sollution with met if you found any.
Thanks in advance!!!
Greetz.

Maybe try cleaning the air filter?
post #7 of 21 Old 11-16-2012, 03:52 PM

The filter is not the problem. I took it out and made the switch believe thee is a filter in it.smile.gif
At startup nothing happens, only the 3 LED's are flashing orange.mad.gif
post #8 of 21 Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 AM

I have the exact same problem! Tried to start up the PJ, three orange flashing indicators (Power, Temp, Lamp) and a purple flashing power button.

I tried to remove the lamp and use a multi-meter to see if I could get a reading, but there is no direct connection between the two power cables on the lamp. Is the problem simply a blown lamp?
post #9 of 21 Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 AM

I checked the lamp, and it was OK. So I guess there is something wrong with the projector itself. Any suggestions? I noticed that the blinking stops when the button under the lamp cover is pushed. Is that a lead in any way?
post #10 of 21 Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did you call Benq support?
post #11 of 21 Old 11-21-2012, 08:47 AM

A bit more information here.. I called BenQ, and the only reply was that it might be anything from the power supply to main board, ballast or temperature sensor. As it is an old projector, they told me that it was not likely worth it to repair.

So I tried to remove the covers and do a tiny bit of low-tech troubleshooting... As you can see on the picture below, the blinking and sounds from the power supply stopped when I removed a connector called J17 on the board (see red straight arrow). The problem is to find out what the function this plug and board have. Any ideas? I struggled to dismantle more of the projector, any ideas on this as well?

I also noted that one of the components on this board had a smelly component, looked like some sort of transformer. See bending arrow and detail pic below...

Click on picture to enlarge!

Closeup of "smelly component":
post #12 of 21 Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 AM

A new update! I decided to continue the disassembly of the projector, and on the underside of the main board (the one which connects to the inputs) there was a very clearly blown component (see detail picture and bottom right on overview picture for details). I suppose this is a capacitor or maybe a diode? These SMD-codes appear to be quite random, the text on the component says "100 16k". Any ideas on this, anyone? If they are capacitors, I may try to solder off the blown one, rinse the PCB and try to start the projector again to see what happens...as they are in parallel and probably for protection only, I think this could work. I have also had the projector in a drying cabinet for the past days to dry off any potential moisture that could have led to this failure. My projector has been in storage for some time in a basement while building my home theater you see...

post #13 of 21 Old 11-29-2012, 06:57 AM

Update: Replaced all five 100 uF 16 V capacitors. Result:
post #14 of 21 Old 12-01-2012, 01:37 PM

I will open the projector again and see if I have the same problem over here, didn't find it when I looked without this info so a second search will be performed.
Thanks for the advise!!!! Hope this is it!
post #15 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 AM

Good luck smile.gif It will surely save you a lot of money to fix it yourself!
post #16 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Thank you Man!!!
Got the same Projector with the same problem.........
and the same component blown!!!
Will change all the five capacitors, hope to get the same result!!!!!!!!

Thank you
post #17 of 21 Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 PM

Great! Really glad I could be of help biggrin.gif

Be sure to dry the projector if it has been in any kind of cold, raw air or in high humidity environments. My projector had signs of humidity, maybe the cause of the blown capacitor (?)....

Just a couple of tips if you're not to familiar with soldering:
- Don't heat the capacitors with the soldering iron for too long as it can break the components (5-10 seconds only)
- The first line of text on the capacitors refers to the capacitance in micro Farad (100 uF) and the lower one refers to the voltage (16 V). The letter on the last line (K in my example) is just a production code referring to the month and year of production.
- These are tantalum SMD capacitors and have a polarity marking; the shot edge with the white stripe is the positive side.

GOOD LUCK!! I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed smile.gif
post #18 of 21 Old 12-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Hmm, I opend the eamer and had a good look at the capacitors, however in mine beamer they are okay.
So there must be another probm. Any other suggestions?
Btw I checked all print boards, nothing burned out as far as this can be judged by naked (magnified) eye.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 AM

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, my own projector is my only reference, thus I don't have much experience with other problems. However, the lamp, the switch on the lamp cover, the air filter cover (has a switch that does not allow you to power up the projector if there is no filter), and the fan next to the lamp are common problems that I investigated on my projector.

Hope these suggestions might help you!
post #20 of 21 Old 11-25-2013, 12:24 PM

to get to the capacitors how do u get the cover off. I have removed the screws around the side and popped off the clips in the front but i can only get the cover up about an half an inch. There seems to be 2 post holding it down in the middle of the cover. How do i get to these posts...if thats what is holding it from coming off?
post #21 of 21 Old 11-26-2013, 10:29 PM

There are two very long screws that goes inside the posts. You have to loosen them from the bottom plate, they look a bit strange in the head, not your typical philips head, but still a "cross". They're black if I remember correctly.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page