JVC DLA-HD1 Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anyone has experienced the following issues with their JVC DLA-HD1 and has found a fix, please let me know:

After about 1 hour of operation (right at the good part of the movie), the projector stops projecting an image. The Warning LED flashes Red and the On/Standby LED is Red. The fan continues to run for several minutes then the entire unit shuts down. After another 15 minutes the On/Standby LED comes back on Green. I can resume projecting but for only 40 minutes of so, getting less after each shutdown. The unit does not appear to be overly hot, has good airflow without restrictions and has proper clearances.

I set my Anthem AVM-50 video output to 1920x1080p/60 and I get a "Resolution Out Of Range" error message. This appears to be more of a nuisance than anything, but DLA-HD1 literature claims this to be a compatible setting.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-01-2008, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sounds like a serious problem...call JVC...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if it is overheating? That would explain why it works for a period of time, and then stops. It would also explain why after it cools it goes back to green to allow you to use it. As Vigga said, I would contact JVC for service.
post #4 of 22 Old 07-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Kelster,

If you have the unit ceiling mounted, make sure the mounting bolts are not extending too far inside the unit. Using long bolts or the bolts that are part of the feet with the plastic foot removed will deform some of the internal ducting and cause the unit to exhibit the symptoms you describe.

To confirm, take the unit down and operate in table top mode and see if it does the same thing. If not, replace the mounting bolts with shorter ones and re-install. You should not experience any permanent damage if the long bolts were causing your problem.

Also, make sure the air filter is not clogged, this can cause the same symptoms.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Stites
"Speaking only for myself...."
post #5 of 22 Old 07-02-2008, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with Jason. Its almost certainly heat related. If you are sure that the airflow is fine and there are no filter blockages or restrictions then the the actual temp sensor itself may be the issue.

If there is a fan or sensor issue, they are usually simple to diagnose and inexpensive to rectify.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #6 of 22 Old 07-02-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not to mention it is probably under warranty.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent feedback guys, thanks a Ton.

The filter is like New. Literally.

As it would happen, I took the projector down this morning and when I was replacing the lens cover and placing some of that pink foam packing around the lens and I noticed the lens was slightly off kilter relative to the opening in the casing. I suspect the bolts may be longer than what's required.

I dropped the unit off with the local JVC service rep whose receptionist it 'Totally HOT' so it wasn't an entirely unpleasant trip after-all. It's stil under warranty,,, thankfully.

Any thoughts on the "resolution out of range" issue??
post #8 of 22 Old 07-03-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelster View Post

Excellent feedback guys, thanks a Ton.

The filter is like New. Literally.

As it would happen, I took the projector down this morning and when I was replacing the lens cover and placing some of that pink foam packing around the lens and I noticed the lens was slightly off kilter relative to the opening in the casing. I suspect the bolts may be longer than what's required.

I dropped the unit off with the local JVC service rep whose receptionist it 'Totally HOT' so it wasn't an entirely unpleasant trip after-all. It's stil under warranty,,, thankfully.

Any thoughts on the "resolution out of range" issue??

Why didnt you just unscrew the bolts like what Tstites said and give it a try?
post #9 of 22 Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Did you get her number?
post #10 of 22 Old 07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Tom, welcome back

Dan
post #11 of 22 Old 07-03-2008, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I knew that Tom...I just was seeing if you did.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-06-2008, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Off kilter could mean just that you used some lens shift in your ceiling set up. If long mounting bolts were the poblem, then thee is nothing to fix under warranty or otherwise and the service center will find no problem. No problem means I would think no warranty reimbusement to the service center by JVC and you should expect a charge from the service center. I hope she was worth it.

. . . .

I

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #13 of 22 Old 09-13-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

So I took my projector to one of the local "authorized" JVC repair reps back in around July 8. They proceeded to jerk me around for about 3 weeks, after which I was told I should replace the Lamp (which has less than 75 hours), but that they couldn't find one. So I took the unit back and bought my own Lamp off the net after about 15 minutes of searching. Waited another week for my lamp, changed the lamp, hooked it back up, and voila! - same problem.

So after going back the store again, they recommended another JVC repair rep. in another town, who was kind enough to send a truck to pick-up my projector. They too had it for another ~three weeks (during which time my warranty expired). They claimed to have run every imaginable test to my projector and evidently it operated flawlessly for 25 hours straight in an un-air-conditioned room.

They also added some washers to the mounting bracket screws to prevent any contact or deformation of the internal plastic air-ducts.

So I get the unit home Friday night (they were kind enough to drop the unit off) hook it back up again and... you guessed it - same !@#%$& problem!

So now I have to try to negotiate a house-call from the latest JVC repair rep and if that doesn't solve it - try to negotiate a replacement with JVC Canada.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

post #14 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 02:45 PM

just s thought out of the blue: where is your hvac inlet duct, viv a vis the rs1?
a breeze blowing across / or near to the unit MIGHT have a bearing.
also, are you confident of quality electricity coming into the unit? too much or too little "juice" can have an impact.
from what you have described, it really sounds like a your room issue.
good luck
walt
post #15 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht422 View Post

from what you have described, it really sounds like a your room issue.

That would be simple to check. For power, run an extension cord from another circuit. For ventilation, try table mounted, etc.

post #16 of 22 Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I'll give those a try, although I don't think it's the HVAC. I wonder if the JVC service rep ran the unit upside down - as if it were hung from a ceiling?
post #17 of 22 Old 09-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Had the same problem. I was told about the mounting screw theory but didn't want to go thru all the trouble to find out that it possibly wasn't. So instead as a test, I put the fan on high altitude mode and the problem went away. So I believe it was a heating issue especially since it kinda started in the summer. once the temperature outside lowers a bit (in the 50s), I'll set the fan back to normal and see if the problem comes back. If it does, it's coming down and the screws are being replaced...
post #18 of 22 Old 09-17-2008, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

So I changed the fan speed to high altitide mode last night and with the obvious increase in sound you could detect an increase in airflow. I was able to make it thru a complete movie (finally) and about 70% thru a subsequent movie, but the problem still persists.
post #19 of 22 Old 10-11-2013, 05:07 AM

Hi...
i have the same problem from the first days of September 2013..
I have a JVC HD1 bought in 2007 with roughly 4800 hours of use.
(First lamps changed after 2000 hours, second lamp changed after another 2000 hours,
and now using the third lamp for 800 hours roughly..)
In 6 years never had this kind of problem..but now i have the same problem
you have described...
The filter is clean and the screw are the same during this 6 years usage..
So the prlblem could be the temperature sensor that give wrong number forcing
the projector to shut down....or the temperature that is really high...
If i had a temperature probe i could check the temperature and seeing what's the problem,
but unfortunately i do not have one..
So..i dont know what to do..
If i have money i'll know it..(buy a new one.. :-) )
post #20 of 22 Old 07-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thumbs down

I've been having the same issue. During hot weather, even though it is in an air-conditioned room, the projector shuts down after 30 minutes or so. A new lamp solves the problem but only until the new lamp gets 100 hours or so on it, then it starts up again. I'm on my third lamp since this problem started, and the vendor just refunded my money after the second lamp because they don't think it is a lamp issue.

So I replaced the bare bulb this time with Osram P-VIP 200/1.0 P21.5 and now after 200 hours it started flickering badly on Normal power and shuts down after 15 minutes if I switch to High power. I have to unplug it and replug it before it will come back on -- no amount of just waiting works. This sounds like a temperature problem and I have it table-top mounted so it can't be the too-long-bolts issue.

From what I can see, JVC would charge me $600 min just to look at it. Any ideas ? Or is it time to switch to a Benq W1070 ?

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub

Last edited by dreamer; 07-23-2014 at 10:37 PM.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I've been having the same issue. During hot weather, even though it is in an air-conditioned room, the projector shuts down after 30 minutes or so. A new lamp solves the problem but only until the new lamp gets 100 hours or so on it, then it starts up again. I'm on my third lamp since this problem started, and the vendor just refunded my money after the second lamp because they don't think it is a lamp issue.

So I replaced the bare bulb this time with Osram P-VIP 200/1.0 P21.5 and now after 200 hours it started flickering badly on Normal power and shuts down after 15 minutes if I switch to High power. I have to unplug it and replug it before it will come back on -- no amount of just waiting works. This sounds like a temperature problem and I have it table-top mounted so it can't be the too-long-bolts issue.

From what I can see, JVC would charge me $600 min just to look at it. Any ideas ? Or is it time to switch to a Benq W1070 ?

It may be time to switch to a new projector, but I don't know that I would go from a JVC to a Benq W1070.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
It may be time to switch to a new projector, but I don't know that I would go from a JVC to a Benq W1070.
So you think an HD131Xe would be a better choice ? It seems to have better shadow detail than the W1070. And the throw is similar to the RS1 so placement would be better than the W1070. Both are brighter than my RS1 and since I no longer have complete light control anyway, the inky blacks of the RS1 are rarely achieved these days. And being retired now, spending more than $1,000 on a replacement is not going to happen, which eliminates all newer JVCs.

Kirk Ellis
JVC DLA-RS1 VuTec 122" Screen
Harmon Kardon AVR 247 Parasound L&R Amp
Psycoustic Mark III L&R Towers, Boston Center
Energy Take 5 Surrounds, HSU Research Sub
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page