First Pics from the new JVC HD 350/JV HD 750 and specifications - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Jason mentioned he saw the new models and they are almost silent.

Awesome! I was going to ask someone at the show to check out the noise levels of the new models.

I'd like to say that saves me on a hushbox...but I already had one built for when I was going to buy the RS2

At least a quiet projector gives me more options for my installation plans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wasn't the projector right behind your head? Who knows, maybe the hushbox might still be good.

Might help keep hot air blowing at the back of your head too.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #273 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, likely about 1 foot behind and 2 to 3 feet above.

Frankly I'm not super concerned about perfect silence and I was not bothered by the
fan noise on the RS1 when I checked it out at a forum member's house. The hushbox was more of an insurance policy, with the idea I'd likely be changing projectors as time goes on and I didn't want to have to worry about varying noise levels from projectors.
I'm betting the new JVC will be plenty quiet for me even without a hushbox.

I'm also glad the new model is vented from the side, not the front (which will angle the noise away from me too, and make hushboxes/anamorphic lenses easier to deal with).

The only other concern is heat. I'm not in a very big room. However the Projector will be the only piece of equipment in the viewing room so hopefully it won't be too bad.
post #274 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

any news on where the JVC HD350/750 is being demo'd ...? I remember a thread mentioning an off-site JVC demo?

rotary subwoofer install blog ultimate subwoofer install : http://bassment.wordpress.com/ ... c
post #275 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The JVC HD750 and RS20 will also feature THX Movie Mode, a pre-calibrated video setting for watching movies on DVD, Blu-ray HD or broadcast television. This playback feature is designed to recreate the cinema experience at home by setting the display's gamma, luminance, color temperature and other settings to mirror those used by filmmakers in post-production. THX Movie Mode also ensures projector brightness is optimal for large screen viewing.

So does this mean it will be calibrated out of the box?
post #276 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

So does this mean it will be calibrated out of the box?

It sure sounds that way, although I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not sure how they can claim "pre-calibrated video setting" without some calibration out of the box.

It's also possible that it's not 'good calibration' as defined by folks here, but is just 'not purposely mis-calibrated to look good in a showroom'. A stock set of settings that typically meets the standards on their projectors.

We'll see.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #277 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeyer View Post

It sure sounds that way, although I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not sure how they can claim "pre-calibrated video setting" without some calibration out of the box.

It's also possible that it's not 'good calibration' as defined by folks here, but is just 'not purposely mis-calibrated to look good in a showroom'. A stock set of settings that typically meets the standards on their projectors.

We'll see.

Yeah I don't understand that either, I've always raised an eyebrow when LCDs and Plasmas say that have a calibrated setting. I'm sure it's closer than a regular run of the mill. But I thought you had to have your sources setup and connected to the device to do a proper calibration.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #278 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 03:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

I may have missed it, but any word on availability date?

Mike
post #279 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I may have missed it, but any word on availability date?

Mike

November!
post #280 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Does the pricing seem high to anyone - particularly the RS10? If Jason thought it would be priced below the RS1X, although it would have to be a quite a bit less than $6000 for that to be the case... Was hoping for October availability on the RS10 (similar to Europe), so November for both would be a bit of a dissapointment.

Edit: The stickied link at the top of the forum still implies October shipping - so maybe there is still hope for earlier arrival.
post #281 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1 View Post

Does the pricing seem high to anyone - particularly the RS10? If Jason thought it would be priced below the RS1X, although it would have to be a quite a bit less than $6000 for that to be the case... Was hoping for October availability on the RS10 (similar to Europe), so November for both would be a bit of a dissapointment.

Edit: The stickied link at the top of the forum still implies October shipping - so maybe there is still hope for earlier arrival.

Press release says November.
http://www.hitechreview.com/tv/jvc-a...-audience/292/

I think Jason might of been incorrect. I can only guess that the RS2 and RS1 prices will fall, and eventually be phased out.
post #282 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
tds1 - I believe those are MSRP's and I think the RS1x has an MSRP of $6k although I could be wrong.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #283 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1 View Post

Jason mentioned that the MSRP for the RS10 was about 1000 less than that in another thread. Then if you discount some more off for the AVS price, might not be too bad.

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #284 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Saw the HD750 (RS 20) today and liked what I saw. The guy I spoke to from JVC said that they expected it to come in at less than $8k, but didn't know how much less. When he said the price, I asked if the HD100 (RS2) would drop in price; he said it would be phased out.

I liked what I saw. For the money, one of the better projectors out there.

Colorado Media Systems
Colorado Springs, CO
post #285 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzippy View Post

Saw the HD750 (RS 20) today and liked what I saw. The guy I spoke to from JVC said that they expected it to come in at less than $8k, but didn't know how much less. When he said the price, I asked if the HD100 (RS2) would drop in price; he said it would be phased out.

Makes sense...
post #286 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
sfm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennzippy View Post

Spent quite a few minutes with the RS20 today at the Cedia JVC offsite D-ILA showroom... Liked what I saw as well... the upshot is that it is basically a color correctable RS2! Sales droid claimed it will have a "THX" mode preset (replacing the HDTV preset currently in the menu) that will be calibrated to 6500K and REC 709 colorimetry... Regardless, the full fledged CMS was present so that should alleviate that (my) concern about the RS2. My overall impression is that the RS20 is what the RS2 should have been in the first place.

Aside from the "anamorphic" support (one salesperson claimed the RS10/20 didn't support anamorphic lenses while another claimed the RS20 did the vertical stretch... perhaps they were only referring to the trigger enabled when vertical stretch was enabled? But yet another claimed that it had that trigger as well... It was late in the day and I didn't have the energy to try and get the straight story) provided by the RS2 and the centerline lens setup I see no reason why anyone would purchase the RS2 over this.

I was quoted a 7500 MSRP and December delivery.
post #287 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"December delivery?"

Most have said JVC says November (actually, doesn't it say that in the press release?).

Why can't we get a straight, consistent answer for this?
post #288 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm View Post

I was quoted a 7500 MSRP and December delivery.

December! It's only been announced for a day and it's already slipped by a month!

I'm saving up my pennies...

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #289 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just got back from my 1st day at CEDIA, and boy am I tired! Since I was mostly interested in learning everything I could about the RS20, perhaps here is the best place for me to give a general report:

1. RS20. I finally got to meet Jason today, right at 10 am when everything opened up, at the JVC Pro location just off the CEDIA site. (He's younger than I had thought!) Ken (?) was JVC rep displaying the unit and answering as many questions as possible. I thought it looked fantastic, very deep contrast and rich colors. Some specifics:

a) Ken said without qualification that the 800 lumen spec is at 30,000:1 CR; i.e., they are not separate measurements under different conditions. (I also asked this about the HD750 at the JVC Consumer location in the CEDIA site, and got the same reply.) I then asked that if one closed down the aperture, to reduce lumens, wouldn't one get higher CR; he said most likely, but that they were not advertising this. He said that the higher brightness was due to the re-designed light path. He also talked about the THX setting that is preset to rec 709, etc.

b) YES, it IS quiet! I climbed up on a chair so that I could get my ear within a couple of inches of the exhaust vent and could JUST barely hear it. This was in low lamp mode. In high mode, I could hear it, but it really is modest, not as much as my RS1 in its low lamp mode (and which has never been a problem for me even thought it is within 2 feet of my head). The amount of hot air coming out of the RS20 in normal (low) mode is also very modest; I could not feel heat if my hand was 8" or so from the vent. (THis is imp, since the vent would be on my wife's side if I get the RS20!)

c) The pic was very sharp, and there were no bright corners (as there are on my RS1), etc. But just how good it is, in comparison to other good pj's, is hard for me to judge without a side by side. But I do feel safe in saying that overall it is better than my RS1.

d) I also tried to measure the distances between the 'feet', and thus mounting holes; they are about 12" apart front to back, and 9.5" apart side to side. But don't drill any holes yet, this is just a semi-quantitative estimate (I used a sheet of 8.5x11 paper!)

e) Ken also said, like Jason, that the prices of the RS20 and RS10, would be BELOW those of the RS2 and RS1. (And I hope Jason can negotiate a good 'prebuy' price for us AVSer's.) I told them how strange this sounded (not that I wanted them to increase the prices), since the RS20 was an RS2 with a number of 'pluses'. He agreed and seemed to reply that he didn't think this up. It seems clear to me that the RS1/2 will be dropped as soon as supplies as exhausted and production of the 10 and 20 are up in full gear.

Now some other random thoughts about other things I saw:

2. I saw JVC's 4K demo, and it was impressive, but what really excited me was their 3D demo. This is something I could go for (assuming of course that there is source material). It was a rear proj setup, using 2 1080p projectors, one for each eye. The rep said that this is the only 3D system that provides 1080p per eye. It is far from being a 'product' at this stage, but he said that work was providing toward this. It will probably be quite pricey.

3. I was disappointed that Sony was showing much of their VW70. It was used to show a stock Sony ad, and actually looked quite dim to me, but they really didn't demo it to any extent. My guess is that it's just not quite ready.

4. I saw the Planar 8150 for the first time. I liked it but wasn't blown away. It has that classic dlp look, spectacular on bright action scenes, but not as much resolution of structure in dark scenes. But I consider it still on my 'list' of possibles. I would really like to see it side by side with the RS20.

5. Also saw the new Epson 7500UB and Mits HC7000. They both provide very nice pics, and both are priced at "< $5K". There were some questions after the Epson demo from some knowledgeable folks, though, asking about white field uniformity and pixel alinement, and the rep said that these were better, but that this was not lcd's strongest suit. The Mits 7000 was shown under very poor conditions, so it was hard to tell just how good it might be.

6. Saw the Sammy 800 (JK himself was there). I thought the pic was spectacular, esp the colors, which are of course what JK is famous for getting perfect. The throw ratio for this product, though, puts it out of consideration for me.

7. Looked at the Mits laser-powered dlp rptv's; they looked super (for rptv's). The rep said that, yes, they were working on this for front projectors, but no predictions.

8. There was no TI booth, and essentially nothing about led-dlp projectors. I asked at SIM2, Marantz, Planar, and Samsung, and no one would say anything about led-dlp. ??

9. Sim2 had no new pj's (other than the 60e), but I did look at the C3X1080p demo. Yes, it does look spectacular in bright scenes (would be great for sports!), but again I thought that things just tended to fade to 'black mush' in the darker scenes. (This is probably stated it too strongly, but you know what I mean.)

10. Similarly, Marantz had no new pj's, but I looked at the 11S2 again; it really is a beautiful pic, though probably not as bright as I would like. The rep did say that the newer units now produce an ANSI CR of 1000:1, now the world record (and same for the 15S1). He said this was due to a new lens coating that had been developed.

OK, enough rambling! I will also spend tomorrow morning there, and since I've covered all my 'essentials', if anybody has anything they would specifically like me to try to see, post something by 9 am tomorrow.
post #290 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Miller! (a) and (e) are very surprising! (sorry for doubting Jason)
post #291 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bill: Thanks for the best, most detailed report on the RS20/HD750 so far! I'm glad you were so personally interested in that model because you really did get info on items that prospective purchasers (e.g. me!) would like to know (fan noise/heat etc).

It's terrific to hear that the 30,000:1 spec is for 800 lumens! Wow!

Also, for the "c" portion of your report, when you end with "But I do feel safe in saying that overall it is better than my RS1" did you mean specifically image sharpness, or overall performance?

Thanks.
post #292 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM

millerwill, Thank's for taking time to report! Did you happen to see the Panasonic AE-3000?
post #293 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah millerwill thx for the input..

The Panasoni AE-3000 claims 60,000:1 contrast ratio & 1,600 lumens, did you get a chance to see how it compares to the 750 or are these numbers from Panasonic all marketing?

My guess is it's not even close, the 750 probably blows it away but that is just a guess although a good one :-)

How good is the screen door in these lcd's? I sit 10 feet away from my 150" width cinemascope screen with an RS1 & can't see a darn pixel & like it that way, will the AE-3000 show any pixel structure at that distance?

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #294 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

I sit 10 feet away from my 150" width cinemascope screen with an RS1 ....

Funny, I was remembering just how happy a bunch of folks have been with rather huge screens paired with the RS1 while I was re-reading today probably the strangest RS2 review ever. After stating how "dim" the RS2 is, the reviewer followed up with:

"Normally that wouldn’t be that big a deal, but the original RS-1 was weak in light output from the start. If the RS-1, conservatively rated at 700 ANSI lumens, wasn’t bright enough to effectively light up a screen larger then about 92 inches diagonal or 80 inches wide by 45 inches high, then the RS-2, rated at a lower 600 ANSI lumens, certainly isn’t capable of driving anything larger than that. "

From here:

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-fr...ojector-2.html

Flat out anomalous review in most respects.

Anyway, back to the new JVCs...
post #295 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Also, for the "c" portion of your report, when you end with "But I do feel safe in saying that overall it is better than my RS1" did you mean specifically image sharpness, or overall performance? Thanks.

Rich, I was trying to be somewhat conservative, for when I see one very good pj, and then another some time later, it's hard to decide which was better. But yes, I think the RS20 is sharper than my RS1, and probably better in just about every way. The extra brightness and superb CR** make a truly striking pic. (**I've measured the CR on my RS1 as ~ 9000:1, probably because I'm near the short throw limit.)

I must say, though, that I still think that my RS1 is super, and I can see the sense in the plans of some here to hang onto their RS1's (particularly if they also have bought a vp) and wait out another season. It's still possible that I might even decide to do this, but I don't think so.
post #296 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinda cat View Post

millerwill, Thank's for taking time to report! Did you happen to see the Panasonic AE-3000?

Panasonic was one I missed! I will try to stop by Panny tomorrow morning.

My guess, though, is that it will be very good, probably right there with the Epson 7500UB and Mits HC7000. As others have said, the lcd pj's are the ones that have probably made the greatest leap forward in the last year or two. Of course they had the furthest to go, but they have certainly now gotten quite good and are esp competitive price-wise. There are so many good choices in the $3 - 4 K range. And as others have said, it may soon be hard for any of us to justify paying anything more for a pj.
post #297 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 18
Wow, the RS20 sounds like an absolutely fantastic performer and value - I'm hoping that, through the grace of AVS, I'll be one of the first to get my hands on one in November/December!

Thank you to all of you who have been kind enough to post your impressions here, I know everyone else who can't be there is foaming at the mouth to get any pieces of information about the RS10/RS20 that come out of CEDIA!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #298 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

With Jason getting one to review later this month (I hope), we'll then REALLY know if all these nice things hold up.
post #299 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Millerwill:

Thanks for the report!

I might be able to make the JVC demo off-site if they will still be there Saturday. I was denied access to CEDIA since I was just a customer!

It sounded like JVC was dark champion but that the DLPs looked better in high brightness sports scenes. That is, if sports is my #1 concern, would you say that Planar/Marantz DLP has a clear edge over the RS-20?

Other than the 3D projector, did any projector really wow you compared to the RS1 or are we talking ballpark 10% better than the RS1. Even though not side-by-side, it seems that a projector that has a $3k-5k premium over the RS1 should stand out.

If you happen to visit the JVC site again, could you ask them to switch between 2.2 gamma and 2.5 gamma since that supposedly can make a large difference in the picture? I am hoping that the 2.5 gamma will make sports look like high ansi dlp.

Is it correct to say the the Epson did not stand out compared to your RS1?

Thanks in advance for any opinions you can provide.
post #300 of 3703 Old 09-04-2008, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvectord View Post

Millerwill:

Thanks for the report!

I might be able to make the JVC demo off-site if they will still be there Saturday. I was denied access to CEDIA since I was just a customer!

It sounded like JVC was dark champion but that the DLPs looked better in high brightness sports scenes. That is, if sports is my #1 concern, would you say that Planar/Marantz DLP has a clear edge over the RS-20?

Other than the 3D projector, did any projector really wow you compared to the RS1 or are we talking ballpark 10% better than the RS1. Even though not side-by-side, it seems that a projector that has a $3k-5k premium over the RS1 should stand out.

If you happen to visit the JVC site again, could you ask them to switch between 2.2 gamma and 2.5 gamma since that supposedly can make a large difference in the picture? I am hoping that the 2.5 gamma will make sports look like high ansi dlp.

Is it correct to say the the Epson did not stand out compared to your RS1?

Thanks in advance for any opinions you can provide.

I appreciate your questions, but I really don't trust myself to make these comparisons unless I can see the relevant pj's side by side; I'm just not an experienced videophile! And once one gets to something like the RS1, etc., the differences become subtle.

I didn't mean to imply that the dlp pj's were better than the RS20, say, in bright scenes, for the RS20 looked spectacular for them too. I think I would only be safe in saying that the C3X1080 was better in bright scenes than the RS20 (or anything else I saw). Without comparing the pj's side by side, I can't say that I saw anything better than the RS20 for any type of scene. The 11S2 was certainly better than the C3X1080p in dark scenes, and probably the nicest dlp pic of all (other than not being as bright as I would like).

I BELIEVE that the RS20 would win out, overall (brightness, CR, sharpness, 'cleanness'), over any pj that I saw in a side by side comparison, but without seeing this I cannot be dogmatic.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page