First Pics from the new JVC HD 350/JV HD 750 and specifications - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 3703 Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

A poll would definitely be interesting. There are two issues involved though. One is asking which colors look more true to the original vs which colors look less objectionable. The later is really the more important one imho, but it' also the hardest to demonstrate and it really needs to be viewed on the original display device and with specific content that is oversaturated (like pick a scene that has grass that is a little too neon. The source content chosen for the poll would be very important.

I wonder how many people are actually viewing the patches on a calibrated display? Just playing around with the settings on my monitor switching between calibrated, sRGB, 9300K, original, etc., produces very differing impressions.

Additionally, the browser one uses can have an impact on what you see via the web. Safari is color-managed so it respects whatever the icc profile is. Firefox 3 with an edit to its settings can do the same. For an interesting read on this:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html

Regards, Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3703 Old 12-07-2008, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abq-Pete View Post

I wonder how many people are actually viewing the patches on a calibrated display? Just playing around with the settings on my monitor switching between calibrated, sRGB, 9300K, original, etc., produces very differing impressions.

Additionally, the browser one uses can have an impact on what you see via the web. Safari is color-managed so it respects whatever the icc profile is. Firefox 3 with an edit to its settings can do the same. For an interesting read on this:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_...Gprofiles.html

Regards, Peter

Really good point Peter. I had no idea that browsers support ICC and color management.
post #3693 of 3703 Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Great !!
Please let us know how things work out with your Panarmorph after you get it installed. That's really the only thing I'm sweating with my U-100 and RS20 at a 1.8 throw 10' wide HP 2.35 scope.

JimmyR:

It may be old news now but I finally tested my Panamorph 752 (VC lens) with the RS10 and even at FULL wide (shortest throw), I saw no vignetting and acceptable barrel distortion (or is it pin cushion? I always confuse the two).

I had the back of the Panamorph within 1/4 inch of the lens portal.

For comparison, the 752 is 6" wide and the entrance height is 2.25", pretty large by comparison with the newer prism lenses.

Hope this helps!

=>><<=robobob
post #3694 of 3703 Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

No, not old news. There hasn't been much chatter about the Anamorphic lense issue but I expect we'll be hearing a lot more when the RS20's arrive to end users in the US.
Thank you Bob, I appreciate your effort (and memory ). We'll see soon if I can get a 1 1/2" high or less image into my U-100's aptature, the RS20 should be here very soon and I will report.
post #3695 of 3703 Old 02-21-2009, 07:09 AM

has anyone toyed around with the CMS on the RS20? i am looking to buy an RS10 or an RS20 but I already have a radianceXD. One other concern is weather the rs20 can convert 1080i to 1080p24 on film content? if the rs20 can do all of this I might get rid of my radiance, if not, I will get the RS10.
Thanks.
post #3696 of 3703 Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by laggs View Post

has anyone toyed around with the CMS on the RS20? i am looking to buy an RS10 or an RS20 but I already have a radianceXD. One other concern is weather the rs20 can convert 1080i to 1080p24 on film content? if the rs20 can do all of this I might get rid of my radiance, if not, I will get the RS10.
Thanks.

Yes.
As you can tell this thread is old.

You are looking for the

Official JVC RS20 / HD750 Calibration and CMS thread

Also check out...
RS20 Owners Thread
RS20 Firmware request thread

Under the calibration thread checkout the review by CraigR about using the RadianceXE and RS20 -- AVS link and CIR link.

Good luck.

Mike

PS - I am thinking about a future Radiance to go with my RS20.
post #3697 of 3703 Old 02-21-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

has anyone toyed around with the CMS on the RS20?

Oh man, you don't know what you just stepped in. See the calibration link Mike linked to above.
post #3698 of 3703 Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah Ric
God blessed You, Jeffy, Manni, Googer and all the contributions on that 3d
post #3699 of 3703 Old 02-23-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Yes.
As you can tell this thread is old.

You are looking for the

Official JVC RS20 / HD750 Calibration and CMS thread

Also check out...
RS20 Owners Thread
RS20 Firmware request thread

Under the calibration thread checkout the review by CraigR about using the RadianceXE and RS20 -- AVS link and CIR link.

Good luck.

Mike

PS - I am thinking about a future Radiance to go with my RS20.

what about the rs10 paired with the radiance? is there such review? it seems that part of the price difference between the RS10 and RS20 is in the CMS capabilities. thanks,
laggs
post #3700 of 3703 Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

what about the rs10 paired with the radiance? is there such review? it seems that part of the price difference between the RS10 and RS20 is in the CMS capabilities. thanks,
laggs

I don't know of an RS10+Radiance review, but check out the CraigR links I posted for his comments.
Again, I'm not an expert on this, merely an instigator.

Mike
post #3701 of 3703 Old 02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot give up the really inky blacks of the RS20 ! Coming from RS2 cannot go back with this feature in getting a RS10 that has a good but more hi levels on blacks ... Plus the difference in contrast and dynamics is noticeable imho.
Here is a review that confirm what I ever seen and thought even when RS10 was just a pre-series and later with production machines ..
http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/dla-rs10/index.php
Quote:

DLA-RS10 Projector Highlights

* Best black level performance of any home theater projector we've tested except for JVC's higher end RS20 and the older RS2

So, imho, if I really want to add a Radiance ( and must be a XE or Pro at last ) I will do with my RS20 not the RS10 ....
post #3702 of 3703 Old 02-24-2009, 06:57 AM

Highlander,
if you check the last page of that same review you will find:

"JVC DLA-RS10 Projector: Pros
* The best black levels of any projector we have worked with, at any price. (Just slightly better than the RS2 it replaces, which was the former black level champ)"

and from the CIR engineering review:

"For my money, if I hadn't bought a projector yet and was considering the Radiance, I would probably opt for the RS10 instead."

just food for thought.
post #3703 of 3703 Old 02-24-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the reviewer wrotes that passages in different times ... and at last didin't review and correct one of them in accord ...

Anyway I have had the chance to compare the 3 JVC side by side several times with the same layout and the differences are clear

If you can ... give them a look with your own eyes It's the Best way to choose what's enough for your needs and your tastes

I hoped to go to choose for the cheaper one, but was not the case comparing the RS10 to the blacks of my old RS2 that I still continue to prefer for screens till 3m base max !
Whose need screens bigger than 3m base, RS10 must be the choice over RS2 due to it's higher lumens needed to fill a such big screens and RS2 would results too dim in this task ..

At last, I choosed RS20 for it's ability to spread a better Black over RS10 and RS2, and a better contrast, both in on/off and intraframes
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page