First Pics from the new JVC HD 350/JV HD 750 and specifications - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtimes View Post

One point is that the new iris might be useful in this instance. i.e. Short throw = lower contrast but more lumens. So clamp down the iris and you might end up with figures roughly the same.

Thats what I was going to ask. Does better CR result from a longer throw, or just simply because your dimming the image? If the second one, than any location you decide to mount this baby will be ideal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

First, the part of human vision that is responsible for color perception is quite insensitive under low-light conditions.This is why, unaided by external illumination, the world appears black and white at night. So, even if there were some advantage to color performance at the very low light levels made possible by a 30,000:1 display, we couldn't see it.

Wrong. Looking at a suitable picture once with 2000:1 and once with 30000:1 shows the difference in perceived color reproduction clearly. A gray veil is a gray veil that affects colors and black level, not just the latter.
post #453 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

. At 10% stimulus our ability to perceive ANY color is negligible. At higher levels of stimulus where color perception becomes important, there is no measurable difference in color performance between a high contrast and relatively low contrast display.

Have you ever calibrated gray scale from 0 to 10 IRE? It's easy to see even faint tints in that region. The human eye is not nearly as insensitive to color (differences) at lower levels as you claim it is.
post #454 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Not clear what you mean here.

What does it mean have white "in" red? You could add white to red with a digital CMS, but that would simply desaturate it. Also, I don't know what you mean by a color is that is more or less "pure." How is this purity measured? The CIE system defines color in a way that is unaffected--except perhaps in very extreme conditions--by contrast ratio. 30,000:1 on/off CR offers all kinds of benefits, but none that I can think of for color performance compared to much more modest CR displays.

I mean color purity as measured by a Spectrometer or an optical spectrum analyzer. so with laser light it is ultra pure say 630 +- .001nm and now we take a filter less pure 630 +- 20NM now we add scattered light 630+- 40 nm but then we add the less than perfect extinction ratio of the filters 630 + .01 x broadband white

Now we think about mixing colors at low lumen levels 90 percent green plus 10 percent red plus 1 percent blue. The precision which you can add colors or produce colors is limited by the on/off contrast ratios.
post #455 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Like a Happy HD100 (RS2) owner, looked couriously and decided to upgrade to the new HD750

Unluckly .... just today I've discovered that in the new design the vpr is more deep of 6cm, that in my installation mean a screen more little.
At now I've 260cm base projection, with the new machine I couldn't go more than 245cm

Why JVC has chengend the deep !!!

This was the reason why I never got the Sony vpr that shape like a Scanner ( very deep ) due behind I've the wall and cannot go that way ...

Really hope that JVC rethink to the deep of the new machine in the final production !

If someonelse has the same problem, please shout ! so JVC can ear !!
post #456 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Thanks... any motion blur?

I think the new processing has eliminated the motion blur because I did not see any blur when I was watching the movie Pans labyrinth or did I see any flickering when the credits rolled by.
post #457 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

First, the part of human vision that is responsible for color perception is quite insensitive under low-light conditions.This is why, unaided by external illumination, the world appears black and white at night.

Reminds me of Vincent Price:
"Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is grey and yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion." Moody Blues

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #458 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

Like a Happy HD100 (RS2) owner, looked couriously and decided to upgrade to the new HD750

Unluckly .... just today I've discovered that in the new design the vpr is more deep of 6cm, that in my installation mean a screen more little.
At now I've 260cm base projection, with the new machine I couldn't go more than 245cm

Why JVC has chengend the deep !!!

This was the reason why I never got the Sony vpr that shape like a Scanner ( very deep ) due behind I've the wall and cannot go that way ...

Really hope that JVC rethink to the deep of the new machine in the final production !

If someonelse has the same problem, please shout ! so JVC can ear !!

Pretty sure that is the final design and the depth will not change.
post #459 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
The inputs are now on the side though. I know I probably need at least 6cm (2.4") in the back of my RS1 just to accomodate some stiff connections. With side inputs, this depth may no longer be needed.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #460 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

The inputs are now on the side though. I know I probably need at least 6cm (2.4") in the back of my RS1 just to accomodate some stiff connections. With side inputs, this depth may no longer be needed.

Unless you wish to remove the projector from it's mount, you'll need to provide enough space to change the lamp...it changes from the rear now, not the side. I don't yet have the clearance required for changing, but I would guess it will need to be 6" or more.

Cheers,

Tom Stites
"Speaking only for myself...."
post #461 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstites View Post

Unless you wish to remove the projector from it's mount, you'll need to provide enough space to change the lamp...it changes from the rear now, not the side.
Cheers,

Whoa, good to know that in advance, since I'm having a cabinet constructed to house the projector.

Thanks.
post #462 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Unless you wish to remove the projector from it's mount, you'll need to provide enough space to change the lamp...it changes from the rear now, not the side. I don't yet have the clearance required for changing, but I would guess it will need to be 6" or more.

Cheers,

Tom! Please don't jump back on that motorcycle that quickly You can't enter the thread and leave without giving us more info. Sounds like the RS20 is an awesome projector. Can you provide any numbers on lumens at longest throw and also contrast at min aperture? This projector sounds like the machine targeted squarely at videophiles and silences all of the gripes (lens, CMS, sound) and adds adjustable iris and apparently more contrast and lumens to boot. Only problem now is what will us AVS'er do to gripe anymore?
post #463 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:

Cheers,

I wonder what went into this design decision. I would think inputs on the back are preferable, as is access to the lamp on the side. A necessity to decrease the case size? I liked the old layout, including the centered lens.
post #464 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Now we have something to gripe about.
post #465 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Where would the fun be if it were perfect?

If you do the upgrade, we'll have to do another shootout.
post #466 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

I wonder what went into this design decision. I would think inputs on the back are preferable, as is access to the lamp on the side. A necessity to decrease the case size? I liked the old layout, including the centered lens.

The light path from the lamp to the optical block is now straight as opposed to 90 degrees in the previous models...that is why the projector is deeper and the lamp removes from the rear. This change gained us some efficiency and resulted in the higher light output.

I'm sure many will opt for the RS1 or RS2 because of the case design changes. The hot air outlet is on the side now and that may be another factor in some installs.

Tom Stites
post #467 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah !
Repeat... the new case design and deep cause me to change my mind in the upgrade ...
post #468 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

I wonder what went into this design decision. I would think inputs on the back are preferable, as is access to the lamp on the side.

As Tom mentioned, they now have a straight path in a place where they used to have to bounce off a mirror.

A friend and I were talking about the offset lens where it isn't centered, but also doesn't seem to be offset as much as some other projectors with offsets. I told him that if they asked me where the lens should be on the front I would tell them to optimize the image quality and not compromise that just to have the light come out a different place. So, I'm in favor of the change.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #469 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

I still have one gripe.

No 120hz with interpolation.
post #470 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

will the RS10/HD350 have at least a colour preset to bring it close to D65 or HD colour space? Shame it dosent have a CMS but a decent preset would be acceptable if it close.
I just dont get on with the colours from my HD1 and so now the HD750 is looking as my best option with its full CMS but a preset would be a worthy compromise on the RS10.

Dustin
post #471 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

As Tom mentioned, they now have a straight path in a place where they used to have to bounce off a mirror.

A friend and I were talking about the offset lens where it isn't centered, but also doesn't seem to be offset as much as some other projectors with offsets. I told him that if they asked me where the lens should be on the front I would tell them to optimize the image quality and not compromise that just to have the light come out a different place. So, I'm in favor of the change.

--Darin

I agree about optimizing image quality. I installed a unistrut rail system so that I can move my ceiling mount left to right and back to front as needed. Was a pain before I did this each time I changed projectors.
post #472 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I actually like the side connections. In my setup, my projector will be very close to the light shelf/soffit on the right side. From the picture, it looks as though, if the projector is inverted, the connections will feed right into my light shelf and I can wire them back from there.

I understand this is unique to my layout. If I had an existing projector setup that depended on rear connections, I'd probably be unhappy.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
post #473 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:19 PM

To all of you that are certain that the not-as-yet released RS20 is the projector of your dreams ...

... and if the over-the-top highly reviewed Joe Kane inspired Samsung SP-A800B were the exact same price as the RS20 ...

...and release date was not an issue.

Would you still pick the RS20? I realize only a few have seen it - but hypothetically speaking.
post #474 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not ideal for my setup either, but if this is all we got to complain about, we're doing OK.

Tom, is it too late to have those inputs put on the other side?
post #475 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post

To all of you that are certain that the not-as-yet released RS20 is the projector of your dreams ...

... and if the over-the-top highly reviewed Joe Kane inspired Samsung SP-A800B were the exact same price as the RS20 ...

Would you still pick the RS20? I realize only a few have seen it - but hypothetically speaking.

Depends where the inputs are located at.
post #476 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not ideal for my setup either.........

I must do a hole in the back wall to suite it right a get the same base incs for the 6" more in deep .... really disappointed .. !
post #477 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not ideal for my setup either, but if this is all we got to complain about, we're doing OK.

Tom, is it too late to have those inputs put on the other side?

It's only too late if you expect to actually take delivery within the next 18 months...

Tom Stites
post #478 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Honestly, what does the Samsung bring to the table that can't be equaled or bettered by a Sharp 20k or Sim2 HT380? The color? I've not seen one, but I think both the Sharp and the Sim2 have better CR's (on/off and Ansi) and have CMS. I guess the Samsung might have a sharpness edge over the RS20 and we don't yet know how well the CMS in the RS20 works, but at this point my answer to your query would be yes.

Quote:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #479 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YES. I saw the A800B and was not impressed. I am no videophile, but the RS20 was far more impressive experience.

rotary subwoofer install blog ultimate subwoofer install : http://bassment.wordpress.com/ ... c
post #480 of 3703 Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzucc View Post

YES. I saw the A800B and was not impressed. ....

I saw it too !! And it's miles away back from HD100 (RS2) so imagine that with RS20 HD750 it has No chances
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page