Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

No. You have to stand up and zoom out.

Do you have to do that, regardless of the screen format? Or can I put up a 16:9 screen and then do 4-way masking?

And I suppose you're going to tell me the pany will do constant height easily, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 845 Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Will...

Option 1) You could design the screen to do both 16:9 and 2.35:1. The solution would be to have a 16:9 screen with adjustable masking on the top and the bottom. When in 16:9 mode, the masking would be retracted. In 2.35:1 mode the masking would engaged to mask out the black bars area of the 16:9 image. The only down side is the relative size of both formats to each other.

Option 2) If you need to moderate a better balance between the two formats, ie... the 16:9 smaller and the 2.35:1 bigger, you may be able to take advantage of the HW10 screen formatting controls or the WIDE MODE button on the remote. Try going thru the various wide modes and see if you could live with the reduced 16:9 screen that ends up being the same height as the 2.35:1 format screen. This way would offer you a better balance between the two, but with the 2.35:1 being larger.

Option 3) With a 4 way masking system and using the manual zoom, you could make a screen that's bigger than both the 16:9 size and 2.35:1 size. Now while the position of the screen will change as you operate the zoom between the two screen formats, you will have flexibility with the 4 way masking system to crop out the oversized areas of the screen as needed. Understand?

I would check option 2 to see how the 16:9 screen looks inside the 2.35:1 format area, and if the buttons do what I think I recall they did. Check out page 30-31 of the owners manual to see the wide mode options.

See what you can do and report back if it will be acceptable.

There are some additional alternatives if would consider adding something like the DVDO Edge video processot to your setup, but I won't go into that yet.

Good luck

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #453 of 845 Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Ah,

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. So there is a solution, then, and I don't have to simply send the sucker back. I don't have it yet. I'm waiting for it to come in, still. When I get it I plan to use a sheet I bought just to confirm screen size and formatting before I start building my screen.
post #454 of 845 Old 11-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Hello All,

Jason, would you mind if you could please post your settings after your calibration?

I would love to see where you ended up, compared to mine.

Also If you could please post it in the HW-10 Tweak Thread.

looking forward to seeing your settings.

Thanks,

Gezza
post #455 of 845 Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM

I currently own a Benq W5000 projector, would upgrading to a VPL-HW10 garner excessive improvements in relation to detail and contrast or is it not worth my while.
post #456 of 845 Old 11-13-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRK View Post

Thanks Pierre and other guys!

So, HW10 be it.

The HW10 contrast figure looks impressive even when compared to VW60. Pity we do not have ANSI contrast to compare.

BTW, why is Deep Color important? I have read somewhere that Bluray does not support this feature and it never will. So having PJ with HDMI 1.3b is overkill?

Deep Color is not important now. In the future - who knows - but it does not hurt to have it supported I suppose.

One real plus to HW10 compared to VW40 is better factory calibration. In VW40 according to reviews and tests green is much too saturated. With HW10 you get great color right out of the box.
post #457 of 845 Old 11-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Update. I now have a brand new Sony VPL-HW10 sitting next to me. Any other special advice other than reading the manual before I turn it on this weekend to try it out and get a feel for what screen size I'm gonna build?

I also bought a cheap upconverting DVD player to test it out. Yes, my equipment is so old that I don't even have anything that'll fire off an HD signal except for my cable box.
post #458 of 845 Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Only advice I can give, is to buy a Blu-Ray player ASAP.

While the upconverting DVD player will look nice, you're not going to get the best picture quality unless you feed that beast an HD source.

Good luck

post #459 of 845 Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

I'm waiting for the holiday season to kick in, because I know the prices are going to be better. I bought the cheap dvd player because I knew I needed a second player for my total setup, and that will work until I get the HT done.

Then its at least a playstation 3 and probably a panasonic bd35 blu-ray player.

I didn't plan on trying to do any calibration and such until after it's properly mounted in its home.
post #460 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 01:11 AM

but if you want your ht to be quiet, consider something else. i thought my previous projector (mt700) was on the edge of being too noisy (some 28db) .... until i got a ps3.
it is quite unobtrusive at the beginning, but when it gets hot after an hour or so, the fans rev up vacuum-cleaner-ish, that (watching the quiet type of films) we had to make a break (switching it off - opening windows) to let it cool down.
not a key issue for some ... for us it is.

regards from at
peter
post #461 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The new 80g PS3 are apparantly much quieter. My 60g never bothers me because my front projector is louder. When I upgrade front projectors I suppose I might hear the PS3.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

post #462 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.waenke View Post

but if you want your ht to be quiet, consider something else. i thought my previous projector (mt700) was on the edge of being too noisy (some 28db) .... until i got a ps3.
it is quite unobtrusive at the beginning, but when it gets hot after an hour or so, the fans rev up vacuum-cleaner-ish, that (watching the quiet type of films) we had to make a break (switching it off - opening windows) to let it cool down.
not a key issue for some ... for us it is.

regards from at
peter

Thanks for the advice. All of my equipment is going in a rack being placed in an adjacent room, so the only sound I have to deal with is from the HW10, which is quiet from what I understand (20db) and from the speakers themselves.
post #463 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1383 View Post

Ok,

I am hoping you guys can help me. I am hoping to the good lord I didn't make the wrong purchase.

I have purchased an HW10, along with the mounts.

I'm sitting here figuring out what to do with my screen. My question is this:

Can I do a constant height screen and not have to screw with the Projector every time the image changes?

I'd like to do a constant height, 2.40 screen so I only have to build a horizontal masking system. But, can I do that automatically with the Sony?

This was one of the reasons I sent mine back and got the Panny 3000U...
post #464 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Yup feature wise the panasonic beats the sony... but if pixel fill ratio, grey scale and colour uniformity, controls for adjusting panel convergence, sealed light path, native contrast, and image quality are more important... then the Sony is the way to go
post #465 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yup feature wise the panasonic beats the sony... but if pixel fill ratio, grey scale and colour uniformity, controls for adjusting panel convergence, sealed light path, and image quality are more important... then the Sony is the way to go

You are correct sir .

Oh you forgot clear writing and focus
post #466 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbickle View Post

Yup feature wise the panasonic beats the sony... but if pixel fill ratio, grey scale and colour uniformity, controls for adjusting panel convergence, sealed light path, native contrast, and image quality are more important... then the Sony is the way to go

I'm confused by some of this laundry list. I have been studying all of the info on both of these as I am considering both. The convergence control and sealed light path are certainly valuable advantages for the Sony. Other than between a couple of particularly vocal and prolific posters, I see no consensus that the Sony has better contrast or overall image quality.
post #467 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbickle View Post

+1

Although, with a little fiddling and the right throw distance, the HW10 can perform a similar 2.35:1 zoom function thru manual adjustment.

Personally, I would rather pick up an anamorphic lens when I am ready and do a 2.35:1 screen format. I already have the DVDO Edge for handling the scaling functions, but the HW10 Vertical Size control can also be used, although I have not tried that control yet.

post #468 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym303 View Post

I'm confused by some of this laundry list. .

No reason to be confused. The points "g" makes are in the eye of the beholder.

I recommend you see both projectors for yourself, if you have any doubt that the comparative PQ differences might be something to cause you to select one projector over the other.

Some of us have made the comparison, and our choices are known. Some of us had friends see both projectors, and they thought the lower price of the AE3000 was a compelling factor.

For those that can not see the PQ advantages of SXRD over LCD, count your blessings and enjoy your LCD projector. It a kin to those who can not see RBE on DLP projectors.

Jerry, what do you expect from a thread of HW10 owners? Of course we are going to like the HW10 better than the AE3000.

post #469 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Did you ever post the 1st 3 digits of the serial number from your HW10?

post #470 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Jerry, what do you expect from a thread of HW10 owners? Of course we are going to like the HW10 better than the AE3000. [/quote]

Actually, I watch threads on both and two particular posters have rung up probably 75 posts among the various threads. I have not seen a consensus among others.

I'm just trying to make a reasonable decision. From what I have seen, these are the advantages of each that might matter to me:

Sony
- seems to be a little quieter (important as I will use Daylight HP)
- convergence adjustment
- discreet on/off (important to not confuse the wife using Harmony)
- sealed lightpath
- could get one calibrated by AVS

Panasonic
- Auto Zoom (very important as I plan a 240:1 screen and don't want a lens)
- Any necessary manual controls are on the top (bottom) of the unit
- 2 year warranty
- super-bright mode available

The throw distance for both work well for me. Brightness levels at most useful settings seem good on both. Contrast looks like a wash.

All else unchanged, if the Sony had the auto zoom feature, I would go with that for sure due to the advantages listed above. If the Panasonic had the sealed lightpath and convergence adjustment, I would get it for sure. For now, I don't know. I guess another option would be to wait one more year and hope that the replacement for the JVC R-20 adds the auto-zoom feature. I have my doubts that the Sony replacement will go all the way from all-manual to auto-zoom with memory.

It is not a perfect world.
post #471 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Jerry...

Once you're at the RS20 price, a Sony VW80/VW70 would offer remote zoom. focus & screen position controls.

I could still be tempted to switch to a VW80 if I found a good price from an Aussie dealer who will ship to the US. I don't expect the VW80 product to really start flowing until some time in December, and by then the AUD$ / USD$ exchange advantage may disappear.

post #472 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 08:53 PM

Yes, they would, but not the memory. Simply being motorized has + and -. I looked at the steps needed to access focus, zoom and shift on the JVC remote and I'm not sure that is much easier than manual. Motorized + the memory is the big step in that area. Panasonic has nice timing on this as cinemascope is getting very poplular.
post #473 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, they would, but not the memory. Simply being motorized has + and -. I looked at the steps needed to access focus, zoom and shift on the JVC remote and I'm not sure that is much easier than manual. Motorized + the memory is the big step in that area. Panasonic has nice timing on this as cinemascope is getting very poplular.

Another thing to keep in mind regarding the Panny auto feature. There was some discussion regarding focus slipping just a little between settings, but I don't recall the explanation. But it makes you wonder how the AE3000 zoom accuracy will hold up after long term use. is there a chance you will end up making some manual adjustments anyway?

The same would hold true for a motorized projector being automated by a sophisticated remote.

That's why I still like a 2.35:1 format with an anamorphic lens, with a simple "Squeeze" for 16:9 material and left/right screen masking.

post #474 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 PM

The anamorphic lens just seems a bit too Rube Goldberg for me at this time. I'm a stereo guy much more than a video guy.
post #475 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

That's why I still like a 2.35:1 format with an anamorphic lens, with a simple "Squeeze" for 16:9 material and left/right screen masking.

GD, there is so much information here pertaining to all the different options, you guys continuously confuse me.

This statement here implies that the Sony will do constant height from 2:35 down without making any manual adjustments, correct?

And yes, I have not turned it on yet (still is in the box, actually) because I'm about to try and get drywall in my rooms, and once I turn that sucker on its all over... lol
post #476 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I'm confused by some of this laundry list. I have been studying all of the info on both of these as I am considering both. The convergence control and sealed light path are certainly valuable advantages for the Sony. Other than between a couple of particularly vocal and prolific posters, I see no consensus that the Sony has better contrast or overall image quality.

The Sony does have better native contrast. The new epson will be the only LCD that will be on par or better than the Sony Panels (Native).

As for better overall image quality, There is no measurement for it.. just my opinion so see them both and decide for yourself ...
post #477 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GD, there is so much information here pertaining to all the different options, you guys continuously confuse me.

This statement here implies that the Sony will do constant height from 2:35 down without making any manual adjustments, correct?

I suggest you take some time and look into the specifics of using an anamorphic lens and projector image modification options. The topic is so deep, it can not be done justice with a simple explanation, suffice to say, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

post #478 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not going to buy an anamorphic lens. They are expensive, and way outside my budget...

I'm not even sure where to start looking. Guess it's time to read the manual on the hw10...
post #479 of 845 Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm not going to buy an anamorphic lens. They are expensive, and way outside my budget...

I'm not even sure where to start looking. Guess it's time to read the manual on the hw10...

If your a DIY guy you can build an anamorphic lens that will get you about 80% of the way to a professional lens for about $200 - $300 to build.
post #480 of 845 Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 AM

dont know if the question is answered before - how does the DVDO Edge work together with the HW10? Is it worth the price you pay?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page