Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by z(+)diac View Post

I so want this projector...

FedEx is saying mine will arrive on Saturday

The landslide is almost complete. A new pre-amp, amp, and a couple more speakers are already in place... Now trying to learn about BD playback on my HTPC.

Tom L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 845 Old 01-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlastrange View Post

You'll be a happy camper come Saturday night - curious to know what you think of it!
post #723 of 845 Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

My Epson TW630 just died... Or the bulb did. No way I'm putting a new bulb in a 720P projector... Hmmm. Golden opportunity.

NilsP

Life is better in HD.
post #724 of 845 Old 01-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Just mounted it and setting up the theater. On plain wall it projects beautifully, I'm still waiting for the 106" screen. If it looks this good on plain wall I can't imagine how it will be with high gain screen.

And the blast, looks great!

I have not calibrated anything. Out of the box it looked really good.. I am new to calibration so I'm going to have to study Bythoven's thread about Calibration. It seems I can get a lot more out of it once calibrated but I'm gonna do that when I get a screen.. no point doing it now.

I'm very pleased by this projector and I studied both AE3000 and Epson ones.. This one is on par if not better in a few things and I actually like when it's simpler to use it and mess around with it, but I guess I'm not too technical and not stingy about super tight color settings.

XBL: Bozster | PSN: Bozster
post #725 of 845 Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM

post #726 of 845 Old 01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Are they (amazon/datavision) an authorized dealer? No authorized dealer no free Blu-Ray offer and no garantee of warranty. At least that's the way it is ala Sony.ca.
post #727 of 845 Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

datavision appears to be in the lower 48.
it would have been real nice if sony usa had offered us
either the bulb or bluray player like elsewhere, but
they didn't
post #728 of 845 Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Come on folks, don't break the rules regarding prices and sellers, or this thread could be closed down.

Please delete or edit your posts accordingly.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #729 of 845 Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I don't know why they don't offer the US customers the free bulb or blu-ray player. I believe in Canada we have the offer of the free blu-ray player only. For us, it's at least something, as we've usually been paying extra up here vs the US, even after currency conversion.

Anyhow.... I'm working on my home theatre space and hoping to snag an HW10 before the month is out
post #730 of 845 Old 01-03-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Well that was fun! Watched Dark Knight this afternoon in my bat cave.

Good uniformity, no dead pixels, a few clicks of panel alignment (no calibration tweaks yet) and I have a winner! I have it on a temporary shelf now and will mount it to the ceiling tomorrow.

I'm surprised that for a relatively small difference in cost (at least in the U.S.), people are willing to put up with dust blobs, convergence issues, and now silly things like stuck focus rings!

Hey Sony, you have another happy customer!

Tom L.
post #731 of 845 Old 01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i'm surprised that for a relatively small difference in cost (at least in the u.s.), people are willing to put up with dust blobs, convergence issues, and now silly things like stuck focus rings!

+1

post #732 of 845 Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM

I'm using a Peerless PRG-UNV mount. The 1.5" pipe flange and 2" extension are from Home Depot. They'll be painted flat black.

More photos of the finished product coming as soon as I figure out how to take better pictures in a dark-ish room.

Tom L.
post #733 of 845 Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM

Tom L.
post #734 of 845 Old 01-04-2009, 03:28 PM

Someone seen the VW60 image quality/blacklevel compared the HW10?

I need some help to decide between an offer for an used VW60 (1 year Japanimport without warranty for 1700 Euros) or a new HW10 for 1800 Euros

What would you do?

PS: Sorry for english...
post #735 of 845 Old 01-05-2009, 02:06 AM

Hi everyone.

first of all thanks to all of you for your replies and this thread. it helped me to make final decision. i'm going to by HW10

I have question about screen size. I want a big one, but I'm not sure if HW10 can handle it. Basically I'm looking on screen with diagonal about 130 inches (about 3 meter width). What you think - can sony handle such screen? Or I have to use smaller.

My room I guess is pretty much standard living room 4x5 meters. It has light walls, and white ceiling. I'm able to close all windows so not sun light will come into room. What you think best screen size for such room?

Thanks for your answers.

Regards, Alex
post #736 of 845 Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
tlastrange,

are those Apogees?
post #737 of 845 Old 01-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

are those Apogees?

Yes!
  • Apogee Duetta Signatures up front
  • Apogee LCR center channel
  • Apogee Centaurus Columns in the rear
  • Radio Shack Optimus Pro LX5 on the sides
  • 2 - Velodyne DD-12 subwoofers
Don't laugh about the Radio Shack's... they made Stereophile's recommended component list back in the day. They have ribbon tweeters so are a good match for the Apogees.

Oh, and since we're supposed to be talking about the Sony projector... I upgraded from a 4 year old Infocus 7205. We watched BD Ratatouille last night and while watching my wife said "can the picture really be this much better?!?" I told her that I would be writing that quote down

Tom L.
post #738 of 845 Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone upgraded from the Epson 1080UB Pro or Home to the HW10? Or has anybody compared the two projectors? How do the black levels compare? Just curious. I had the 1080UB Pro and the black levels were very good. I have seen the Sony HW10 and I liked what I saw in terms of black level. I just wondering if anybody has compared them more directly in terms of black levels. Have you seen both on the same screen etc?
post #739 of 845 Old 01-07-2009, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyhead View Post

Someone seen the VW60 image quality/blacklevel compared the HW10?

I need some help to decide between an offer for an used VW60 (1 year Japanimport without warranty for 1700 Euros) or a new HW10 for 1800 Euros

What would you do?

PS: Sorry for english...

I am also wondering about any perceived differences in picture quality between the VW60 and HW10; I am aware of the motorized zoom but that isnt of great value to me. I can get the VW60 for $300 more than an HW10, even though the list price difference is much wider. Which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance!

Docray1
post #740 of 845 Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The HW10 has had a better QC than the VW60, in the area of shading uniformity.

I believe the HW10 has a newer SXRD panel, but have not been able to confirm.

The VW60 has the Image Director 3 software, which is a valuable calibration tool.

Jason has said he would chose the VW60 over the HW10 at the same price, but did not comment on how much more he would be will to spend over the HW10.

I would be inclined to buy the HW10 unless the VW60 was less $$$, same $500+ less than the street cost of the HW10.

Happy shopping

post #741 of 845 Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

The HW10 has had a better QC than the VW60, in the area of shading uniformity.

I believe the HW10 has a newer SXRD panel, but have not been able to confirm.

The VW60 has the Image Director 3 software, which is a valuable calibration tool.

Jason has said he would chose the VW60 over the HW10 at the same price, but did not comment on how much more he would be will to spend over the HW10.

I would be inclined to buy the HW10 unless the VW60 was less $$$, same $500+ less than the street cost of the HW10.

Happy shopping

Thanks. have you had the chance to see these 2 side-by-side or to make a comparison? because unless the PQ of the HW10 is better, I would guess that the motorized zoom and Image Director Software might be worth the $300. But if the PQ of the HW10 is better, the other factors would be less important. to me anyway.

Docray1
post #742 of 845 Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I have not seen them side by side nor have I had the pleasure of calibrating a VW60.

Although the ID3 software for the HW10 would be great, I haven't missed it so far in my calibrations. However, for folks who would really dive in to tweak gamma curve tracking, the ID3 software would be nice to have on the HW10.

I have been asking my Sony contacts to look into adding the ID3 support to the HW10, but given the current fiscal challenges at Sony, it might not take high priority.

I'd still be inclined to get the HW10 unless the powered controls would be important. You should confirm what lens functions are powered, because I believe access to the manual lens shift controls require removal of the cover.

post #743 of 845 Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Hello everyone this is my first post and I have been looking at projectors for close to a year now and am at the point of committing to purchase. I have been reading about the panasonic and epson getting caught up in the 120 htz processor, after veiwing my in-laws 42 in LG with this processor for about a week on vacation, I am not sure that this technology is for me. It just didin't impress me as much as I had thought it would. I have read what everyone has posted so far regarding the Sony HW10 and was wondering since some of you have had your units for a while now what are your thoughts about it's preformance? I like the fact of the unit having a sealed lense meaning no dust issues. This will be my first projector and want to make sure that I choose the unit that is best for the money and within my budget.
post #744 of 845 Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM

WOW! I just saw this projector today. There was a Pioneer Kuro Elite set up in this Audio-Video store and the price was too high for me.

The guy had a Sony HW-10 in a box awaiting pick up for another customer and offered to hook it up real quick so we take a look. He set it up on a box on a cart so he could over the first row of seating at about 15' and was projecting to a screen of about 120-126". Only adjustment was made he lowered the brightness from 50 to 33 and we viewed in cinema mode. He said the screen was about 3.0 gain.

The picture was better than the Kuro. He brought in 3 other people who worked there and viewed the Kuro for some time and all said it was a better picture. Myself, I was blown away by both but it definitely is great.

I sat in a seat right beside the projector and we had no sound in the room hooked up. I could barely hear it and that is with it about 8" from my head.

I have been looking at forums and reviews for some time and was just about set on the Mitsubishi HC6500, although have never seen it. I have owned a couple of Mitsubishi RPTV's that have been awesome so I liked the brand. I have been concerned about the LCD type projectors but the DLP's were not working for my room.

Has anybody seen a HC6500 compared to this HW-20 because as of right now I am sold on the Sony!

It was awesome. We played a blu-ray and watched ESPN HD on DirecTV. We even opened the door and turned on some can lights low and the picture still looked awesome. That eliminated my fears on HD TV viewing. I kind of wanted to go 120-126" on my screen but some feedback was negative on brightness with the Mitsubishi. The Sony actually has less lumens that the Mitsubishi and it is great.

Any feedback on these 2? I was really impressed with the Sony and LCD kind of scares me.

It was just awesome!!!!
post #745 of 845 Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Brightness always wins people over. Sounds like a High Power Screen and since you were sitting right next to the pj, you were getting very high gain.
post #746 of 845 Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docray1 View Post

Thanks. have you had the chance to see these 2 side-by-side or to make a comparison? because unless the PQ of the HW10 is better, I would guess that the motorized zoom and Image Director Software might be worth the $300. But if the PQ of the HW10 is better, the other factors would be less important. to me anyway.

+1, I'm highly considering a VW60 so I'm curious to see what the HW10 can offer me against it in the PQ department..
post #747 of 845 Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed View Post

datavision appears to be in the lower 48.
it would have been real nice if sony usa had offered us
either the bulb or bluray player like elsewhere, but
they didn't

I received the free replacement lamp with my projector, but there is one thing that I did not consider. What is the shelf life of a lamp (not being used)? I figure that I will get 2000 hours of my current (in use) lamp before needing to replace. Anyway, do these lamps last on the shelf if kept in the factory sealed carton?
post #748 of 845 Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelefc View Post

I received the free replacement lamp with my projector, but there is one thing that I did not consider. What is the shelf life of a lamp (not being used)? I figure that I will get 2000 hours of my current (in use) lamp before needing to replace. Anyway, do these lamps last on the shelf if kept in the factory sealed carton?

They should be OK but the problem is the bulb warranty is typically 90 days, so if you have it on a shelf for a few months, then pop it in and it's DOA, you're SOL!

I'd swap in the replacement now (or after 90 days on the original if it's less than that now), keep your existing bulb as a spare.
post #749 of 845 Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 PM

Anyone had experience with Datavis.com (Datavision)?
Should you buy from them?
post #750 of 845 Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtbig View Post

Anyone had experience with Datavis.com (Datavision)?
Should you buy from them?

Check BBB report here -> http://search.newyork.bbb.org/report...age=1&id=40969
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page