Sony VPL-HW10 Just Arrived! - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 845 Old 06-03-2014, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HW10 and later models have greatly improved bulb life by taking more time to turn on, gradually warming up the bulb, and taking more time to cool down the bulb when turned off. But bulb life is shorten when they are turned off without having been on for more than a half hour.
I have tried a clone bulb that lasted less than 10 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 845 Old 06-03-2014, 03:26 AM
pjp

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post

The HW10 and later models have greatly improved bulb life by taking more time to turn on, gradually warming up the bulb, and taking more time to cool down the bulb when turned off. But bulb life is shorten when they are turned off without having been on for more than a half hour.
I have tried a clone bulb that lasted less than 10 hours.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't aware of that it's better to leave it on instead of shutting it down briefly when not in use. I don't think we've done that often, but will avoid it now for sure.
post #843 of 845 Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tips from Pureland Supply on how to increase Projector Lamp life

1. Handle the Projector Lamp with gloves. Oils and deposits from hands and fingers can cause
hot spots on the Projector Bulb, which may result in premature Lamp failure.
2. Operate your projector in a clean, cool, and well ventilated area. A dust free environment
would be ideal.
3. Keep the projector air filters clean. Clogged filters and/ or vents will not vent heat properly,
and can cause the Projector Lamp to overheat and fail.
4. Do not place anything on top of the projector or in front of the intake or exhaust vents. This
will cause the Projector Lamp to overheat and fail.
5. If the projector is built into a compartment, wall, ceiling, or shelf mount, the minimum
distance requirement (which is usually at least 2 feet) listed in the user manual should be
maintained.
6. When you replace the Projector Lamp housing, make sure the new housing is seated
completely and securely. Apply pressure at the base of the Lamp Housing until it is
completely secure.
7. Hot Projector Bulbs are very fragile. Do not move or shake the projector until the Projector
Lamp has completely cooled. Shock and vibration applied to hot Projector Lamps may cause
the Projector Lamp to crack or break.
8. Do not unplug the projector until the Lamp has properly cooled. After the projector has been
shut off, the fan will remain on for about 5 minutes. This aids in cooling the Projector Lamp
evenly and completely and decreases the chance of early lamp failure.
9. Do not turn the projector on and off frequently during presentations. Each time the projector
is switched on, the inrush of power causes stress on the Projector Lamp. Try to minimize
your on/ off cycles by not frequently turning on and off.
10. Wait one hour after cooling to turn on again. After prolonged use (Over 3 hours) and
shutdown, wait at least one hour to turn the projector on again. If a lamp is still warm/hot, the
projector will send too much voltage early in the Projector Bulb heat-up cycle which will
drastically decrease lamp life.
11. Run the projector for approximately two weeks and/or 20 hours shortly after your purchase.
If the lamp is defective, it'll usually fail within the first 10 hours of operation. Some
projectors offer "low lamp" or "economy mode" options. Use them whenever possible. These
options have been developed to extend projector lamp life.
12. Have your projector serviced and maintained every 2 years. Maximize optimum usage
and life of your projector lamp and have a qualified projector lamp technician give you
advice on your Projector and recommended maintenance every couple of years. Call
Pureland Supply at 800-664-6671 to get additional information on Projector Maintenance and
repairs.
post #844 of 845 Old 06-12-2014, 06:12 PM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanb View Post
Tips from Pureland Supply on how to increase Projector Lamp life

1. Handle the Projector Lamp with gloves. Oils and deposits from hands and fingers can cause
hot spots on the Projector Bulb, which may result in premature Lamp failure.
2. Operate your projector in a clean, cool, and well ventilated area. A dust free environment
would be ideal.
3. Keep the projector air filters clean. Clogged filters and/ or vents will not vent heat properly,
and can cause the Projector Lamp to overheat and fail.
4. Do not place anything on top of the projector or in front of the intake or exhaust vents. This
will cause the Projector Lamp to overheat and fail.
5. If the projector is built into a compartment, wall, ceiling, or shelf mount, the minimum
distance requirement (which is usually at least 2 feet) listed in the user manual should be
maintained.
6. When you replace the Projector Lamp housing, make sure the new housing is seated
completely and securely. Apply pressure at the base of the Lamp Housing until it is
completely secure.
7. Hot Projector Bulbs are very fragile. Do not move or shake the projector until the Projector
Lamp has completely cooled. Shock and vibration applied to hot Projector Lamps may cause
the Projector Lamp to crack or break.
8. Do not unplug the projector until the Lamp has properly cooled. After the projector has been
shut off, the fan will remain on for about 5 minutes. This aids in cooling the Projector Lamp
evenly and completely and decreases the chance of early lamp failure.
9. Do not turn the projector on and off frequently during presentations. Each time the projector
is switched on, the inrush of power causes stress on the Projector Lamp. Try to minimize
your on/ off cycles by not frequently turning on and off.
10. Wait one hour after cooling to turn on again. After prolonged use (Over 3 hours) and
shutdown, wait at least one hour to turn the projector on again. If a lamp is still warm/hot, the
projector will send too much voltage early in the Projector Bulb heat-up cycle which will
drastically decrease lamp life.
11. Run the projector for approximately two weeks and/or 20 hours shortly after your purchase.
If the lamp is defective, it'll usually fail within the first 10 hours of operation. Some
projectors offer "low lamp" or "economy mode" options. Use them whenever possible. These
options have been developed to extend projector lamp life.
12. Have your projector serviced and maintained every 2 years. Maximize optimum usage
and life of your projector lamp and have a qualified projector lamp technician give you
advice on your Projector and recommended maintenance every couple of years. Call
Pureland Supply at 800-664-6671 to get additional information on Projector Maintenance and
repairs.
Thanks -- great info
post #845 of 845 Old 06-15-2014, 07:06 PM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Hello,

I replaced the bulb on HW10 with an official Sony OEM bulb (not aftermarket) less than a year ago, and now with just over 1000 hours on the new bulb, it seems to have failed. I'm getting a flashing red light error with 3 flashes, which according to the manual means the bulb has either "reached the end of its useful lifespan" or that the bulb has overheated. I tried unplugging the power, but the 3 flashing red light error is still there. Has anybody had this type of early failure with an OEM replacement bulb? Is there something else wrong?

My original bulb last more than 2500 hours and was still working fine when I replaced it, so I am shocked to see this one fail in just over 1000 hours.
UPDATE TO POST ABOVE: I originally "fixed" this problem by unplugging the projector overnight and it worked fine for several days as I posted earlier; however, the problem did come back a couple of days ago where the projector would start up and then shortly after the picture came up, it would shut down to "blinking 3 light" state.

I thought the problem was with the projector because the OEM replacement bulb I installed in last August only had 1175 hours, so I decided to order a HW30ES from AVS to replace the whole thing. Tonight I pulled down the HW10 and decided to try my original bulb that had 2094 hours and the projector works fine. It looks like my projector is fine and the replacement OEM bulb just failed early. One thing I didn't try was just re-seating the newer bulb to see if maybe it was just a bad connection. I will try that when I receive the HW30ES and pull the HW10 down. I still look forward to the HW30ES, but it looks like I jumped the gun on replacing the projector because I was pretty happy with the picture on the HW10. I'm hoping the 30ES blows it away and then I will be happy I replaced it.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page