Sony VPL-HW10 Owners AND Calibration Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 781 Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your input Liersi. Yes the pictures definitely represents what my eyes see. During films the problem is hardly noticeable, the black level is far better than my previous PanasonicAX100. But during opening and closing credits the bright corners are quite visible. All I need to know is if my pj performs below the ordinary as far as this model is concerned, since the salesman says it´s in perfect order, I´m getting a bit confused
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 781 Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoidman View Post

The bright corners or "light splotches" however is a different matter. Ted is your screen completely black, or just more even than mine?

Well 'black" is of course relative. The 10 certainly does not provide CRT black, JVC black, or that of the current generation SONY. It just doesn't have the ON/OFF for a complete fade to black, and its been a long time since I measured it and no longer have access to the quality of meter that allowed me to get reasonable measurements.

Mine is, however, uniform (this is with a blacked out room projecting black and waiting for several minutes for my eyes to adapt) which was one of the reasons the 10 interested me as it provided good uniformity at 0 and 100 IRE. This is unlike the LCD I was using previously and does not exhibit what I see in your pictures other than the cases where the LEDs from my light dimmer or my various components strike the screen - this has all been corrected in my case. As to whether the bright corner you have is within spec I cannot say, though I know I would not be satisfied. I refuse to believe I have better fortune than most in this regard.

ted
post #723 of 781 Old 10-04-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Mine is, however, uniform (this is with a blacked out room projecting black and waiting for several minutes for my eyes to adapt) which was one of the reasons the 10 interested me as it provided good uniformity at 0 and 100 IRE. This is unlike the LCD I was using previously and does not exhibit what I see in your pictures other than the cases where the LEDs from my light dimmer or my various components strike the screen - this has all been corrected in my case. As to whether the bright corner you have is within spec I cannot say, though I know I would not be satisfied. I refuse to believe I have better fortune than most in this regard.

I´ve tried all calibrations, and covered all possible spill light from the room. The bright corners problem stays the same. The most annoying thing now is that in dark scenes the right side of the screen has a brighter black level (with a greenish tint; possibly due to low temp mode) than the left side, colors are spot on, and in both SD and HD material this pj really does the job.
Since I´ve spent close to 30h on it. It´s impossible to get a replacement model, and seller says picture is within parameters anyway so... here I am.

Right now I would like to go back in time to the easy days of crt tv´s and VCR´s but then again I would probably have something to compain about then too.... Gee I really need to get a new hobby :-)
post #724 of 781 Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 AM

May be some straylight from inside the projector is the reason for the "light splotches" on your screen.

Here in German forums, JVC owners just experiencing a change in better contrast by using more of the lensshift range.

The reason why I'm mentioning it,- one JVC owner who had similar lightened areas on the screen could completely resolve the problem, only by changing the projection place of his machine.

As a last chance to resolve your problem, I would try a different projection place for the HW10 and experiment by using the lensshift (H/V) more or less.

freakazoidman,
hope you understand what I mean,- to describe it in English is quite a task for me...

Good luck!
Spezi
post #725 of 781 Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezi View Post

May be some straylight from inside the projector is the reason for the "light splotches" on your screen.

Here in German forums, JVC owners just experiencing a change in better contrast by using more of the lensshift range.

The reason why I'm mentioning it,- one JVC owner who had similar lightened areas on the screen could completely resolve the problem, only by changing the projection place of his machine.

As a last chance to resolve your problem, I would try a different projection place for the HW10 and experiment by using the lensshift (H/V) more or less.

freakazoidman,
hope you understand what I mean,- to describe it in English is quite a task for me...

Good luck!
Spezi

Thank for your suggestions Spezi,
I totally think you´re right about straylight from within the pj itself. Is there any way this can be physically removed in some way?

I´ve tried several lens shift options, no visible change so far..I´ll try again at a later date.

Your English is by the way spot on. I´m Norwegian so I guess English is a second language to both of us :-)
post #726 of 781 Old 10-05-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakazoidman View Post

I totally think you´re right about straylight from within the pj itself. Is there any way this can be physically removed in some way?

This would be surprising as the light path on the 10 is sealed thus would have to be serviced.

ted
post #727 of 781 Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 AM

This is a worst case scenario -the new machine is faulty and the dealer doesn't take it back.
I agree with tvted, the projector has to be serviced. Most likely the complete lightpath has to be changed.
I really hope that Sony sees that this machine is off the usual specs!
If your residence is in Europe, you get a 3 year PrimeSupport warranty.
The PrimeSupport papers you find outside the box in an envelope.

I guess that the Sony online registration still not works.
Freecall London 00800 7898 7898, there they tell you the email address, the needed data and the subject for your registration mail. Within 3 days my HW was PrimeSupport registered.

Take care
post #728 of 781 Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Again thank you very much for your support and advice. I have definitely considered shipping it to a Sony service center, but I am afraid they will agree with the seller, and ship it straight back to me without fixing anything.
Is my "small" annoyance worth the risk?.. I guess most people can live with some problems, I on the other hand tend to be a bit too picky when it comes to A/V performance. If it wasn´t for my old Ax100 and its perfectly even black level I would probably have no reaction to the HW10´s bright corners, I find it a bit strange though that my old 10k pj performs better on its own rights than my 20k Sony. But then again it is LCD vs. SXRD, I guess both systems have their pros and cons.

What is your experience with Prime Support, do they cover all charges including transport?
post #729 of 781 Old 10-07-2009, 03:04 AM

Yes, all expences are covered. Never heard that any HW10 needed the service.
Here are some pages for further information, you will find the PrimeSupport condition PDFs for the Sony VW series (identical to the HW10).
http://www.sony.no/biz/view/
ShowSiteSection.action?sectiontype=PrimeSupport

http://www.sony.no/biz/view/ShowCont...site=biz_en_NO

Quote:

Is my "small" annoyance worth the risk?

I say yes. Once you see it, it will bother you all the time. The only risk you have is that Sony service sends it back in the same faulty condition.
But I see a good chance that Sony will repair or replace your proji.

You should start the procedure now and use the freecall# above for info and registration.

P.S.
In case you want to sell the proji within the warranty time, your PrimeSupport is transferable to another owner.
post #730 of 781 Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Based on my observation of a number of HW10s and the VW80, your bright corners issues is much greater.

One thing, some bright corners issues tend to disappear as the lamp brightness dims in the 1st 50 hours. However, the bright corners in the images shown is far worse than I have seen on any Sony SXRD.

Also, if you are seeing a color shift toward red/blue/green on any portions of the screen, this is also an uncommon gamma uniformity issue. Try looking at different values GRAY to see if the color shift persists.

You may well be best served by exchanging your HW10 for a new unit.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #731 of 781 Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Thank you Spezi, you are absolutely right.
It´s better better to have this unit shipped to service, than to be annoyed every time I use it
I will check with the seller tomorrow, hopefully the HW10 will either be changed for a new unit or repaired.
I´m crossing my fingers here :-)
post #732 of 781 Old 10-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:

I will check with the seller tomorrow

I'm sorry to say this, but in my eyes your seller is useless.
Somebody who says that your unit is within the specs, -should be ignored!!
Just call the #, register and inform without involving your dealer!
post #733 of 781 Old 10-21-2009, 04:30 AM

to freakazoidman and all other HW10 owners,

Just want to share my "bright corner" experience with my HW10.
I've bought it at the end of June approximately.
When I set all up at home I immediately noticed bright corners (top left and low right). At start up on black screen they look very bright - top left is bigger. After 5-10 minutes low right becomes absolutely non-irritating but the top left stays visibly brighter then other image. I use low lamp Auto Iris 1, Recommended and other settings close to factory ones. When I watch the scenes that are almost dark, e.g. few images in the middle on a dark screen Auto Iris disguises top left corner very good! But during the mid-dark scenes in 2:35 AR top left side of black bar looks annoyingly brighter and when i have to look at the left part of the screen to follow the movie, well, it bothers me a bit.
A week after purchase I've returned to dealer's and checked two more HW10s. I was shocked. First had all four corners bright-lit at start-up and the second had a situation opposite to mine top right and low left corners being brighter. I decided to swap mine with "4 corners lit" becase when it all symmetrical - my eye's much less annoyed but after uniforminy checking I found out that the color uniformity is visibly worse than mine.
At that time I still had my Panasonic AE2000 with very good uniformity with all colors, but... it was dust-blob addicted I was sick and tired of disassembling it and blowing dust out. Plus HW10 picture quality was a big improvement over AE2000.
So, I've decided to keep my new HW10 and got rid of AE2000.

P.s. I haven't checked the pictures freakazoidman provided yet, will do it at home later and reply tomorrow about comparison with my case.

BTW, VPL-HW15 is already out - may be situation with "bright corners" got better?
post #734 of 781 Old 10-26-2009, 01:23 PM

I was just about to ship my unit to a repair center...but during a recent weekend I discovered a few things about my bright corners problem. First of all I noticed that the problem is most visible during the first few minutes after startup, once the pj is "warm" the black level gets a lot more even.

More importantly, I used to project the picture on a white wall. Since my last post, I have totally changed the room, I´ve designed a black, light absorbing frame around the screen, and also painted the room in a dark blue color. The result is quite stunning. As I suspected, the "halo frame" around the picture has an uneven brightness level too, which enhanced the illusion of bright corners. Once camouflaged, the problem is hardly noticeable. The dark blue also enhances the overall contrast. Now I totally love this pj. I would recommend all HW10 owners to at least project the screen on a framed screen rather than a white wall. In my case the bright corners issue has been minimized to a non annoying level:-)

Anyway, I would like to thank all who have replied on my posts, all your suggestions led me to the creation of my new home cinema room.
Your post Kanno also suggests that sometimes the grass isn´t greener on the other side... all these HW10 has their problems, in my experience there is no such thing as perfection in the projector world, at least not in this price area. I will follow the HW15 thread closely. It will be quite interesting to read about its performance compared to the HW10. See you soon :-)
post #735 of 781 Old 12-05-2009, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for a burned-out LMPH201 projector bulb.
I need to reimbursed for a new replacement bulb.

Thanks,

Richard
post #736 of 781 Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 PM

hey guys;

I dont use my home theater as much as I would like, but last time I used it I had some issues.

1) image looked much brighter than in the past when I calibrated it before it was not that bright, and black level was not that great.

2) watching band of brothers, there was noticable grain and noise in the shadows and in some cases higher areas.

3) there is a noticable color cast of Yellow. I expected the bulb to change things as it wore in a bit, but we we are talking about maybe 20-30 hours of total use.

suggestions especially about the noise.

thanks
kirby
post #737 of 781 Old 12-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Liked: 12
Do NOT use Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan as a color test, those movies are deliberately "tinted" by the producer to look like older films.
Use a calibration disk or the THX calibration screens that are available on some movies like, Monster's Inc.
post #738 of 781 Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

I am finally ready to calibrate my HW10 (I know, I've had it a year). What items do I need in order to properly calibrate it? Meaning, software, discs, etc.

I'm pretty sure that since my bulb now has roughly 400 hours on it that I can't just plug in values and hope they work.

I've never calibrated anything before, so any advice is greatly appreciated. DW.
post #739 of 781 Old 01-03-2010, 12:34 AM

post #740 of 781 Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah. Thank you much for this information. I only have a DVD burner, not a BR burner, so the software package might not work for me.

Thanks for this. Looks like I gotta buy a sensor.
post #741 of 781 Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 PM

You can burn AVCHD with DVD burner but to play it you have to have an AVCHD compatible Blu-ray player (PS3 etc).
post #742 of 781 Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Hello, good evenings, Whon can give me all the values of the secret menu of this projector without fitting?

I have the impression (printing) of which I have touched something that had not to.
post #743 of 781 Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM

Hi, I am new to projectors and SXRD in general. Aside from bulb life, how many hours of use can I expect from a HW10 projector? I recently got a display model on clearance (Best Buy / slickdeals), and it's showing >2000 hours on the bulb. So I know the optic block, etc, has seen _at_least_ that many hours of light.

So far I haven't heard that the front projection SXRD's have the problems of the RP ones.

I guess the answer to my question is this:
1. How many hours are on your HW10?
2. Did you have to replace anything besides the bulb?
3. Do you still feel like the image/color quality is comparable to when it was new?

If I can expect, say 6000 hours out of the device itself without the LCD's getting fried, that would be a good thing to know.
post #744 of 781 Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
You are definately in need of a new bulb. 2000 hours is a long time for almost any projector bulb. If it was used in a store, it likely was on the high bulb setting, which reduces expected life further.

No, you are seeing no where near the performance that the projector is capable of. Once you replace the bulb you will see what I mean.

That said, are you sure that is the original bulb? Perhaps it was changed and the hours were not reset via the setup menu?

A new bulb should cost $375 or so on line.
post #745 of 781 Old 04-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post

You are definately in need of a new bulb. 2000 hours is a long time for almost any projector bulb. If it was used in a store, it likely was on the high bulb setting, which reduces expected life further.

No, you are seeing no where near the performance that the projector is capable of. Once you replace the bulb you will see what I mean.

That said, are you sure that is the original bulb? Perhaps it was changed and the hours were not reset via the setup menu?

A new bulb should cost $375 or so on line.

I also found one of these projectors at Bestbuy on clearance. It is being transferred to my local store. I was told that it is a display unit and has been running but in pristine condition. They would not tell me how many hours is on the bulb. The bulb will probably need replacing. I will have 30 days to return the unit. I am still trying to convince the store manager to give me an additional 15% off due to the unit being a display unit... I currently have an Epson 6100 projector... How does this unit compare to the Epson?
post #746 of 781 Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglover19 View Post

I also found one of these projectors at Bestbuy on clearance. It is being transferred to my local store. I was told that it is a display unit and has been running but in pristine condition. They would not tell me how many hours is on the bulb. The bulb will probably need replacing. I will have 30 days to return the unit. I am still trying to convince the store manager to give me an additional 15% off due to the unit being a display unit... I currently have an Epson 6100 projector... How does this unit compare to the Epson?

The default is 10% off for an "Open Box" unit, but you are right a display unit should have an extra discount. To me, open box means someone took it home for less than 30 days and returned it. Heck, mine didn't even come with a box!
The clearance price is $999 (if it was new in box).
But I paid $899 (open box discount) + $200 for the 4 year warranty (includes 1 bulb) +tax.
They have a $300 4 year warranty, but the only thing better is that they give you a loaner projector and they say the fix will be 'quicker'. I was not impressed for the extra $100.

I bought another one tonight for my brother in law. Now I need to find one more for my in-laws.

Thanks for the notice on the overall life of the product. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the prices we are seeing, I almost feel guilty.
post #747 of 781 Old 04-30-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phy6 View Post

The default is 10% off for an "Open Box" unit, but you are right a display unit should have an extra discount. To me, open box means someone took it home for less than 30 days and returned it. Heck, mine didn't even come with a box!
The clearance price is $999 (if it was new in box).
But I paid $899 (open box discount) + $200 for the 4 year warranty (includes 1 bulb) +tax.
They have a $300 4 year warranty, but the only thing better is that they give you a loaner projector and they say the fix will be 'quicker'. I was not impressed for the extra $100.

I bought another one tonight for my brother in law. Now I need to find one more for my in-laws.

Thanks for the notice on the overall life of the product. I hope I didn't offend anyone with the prices we are seeing, I almost feel guilty.

Where are you located? Is there anyway for you to scan your receipt so that I take to my store in VA... Is the $200 warrranty from Bestbuy?
post #748 of 781 Old 04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

What a steal.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #749 of 781 Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 AM

For those who have this projector. Is it possible to take the top off? Half the wheel button broke off. Though its not a hassle b/c I can still turn it but I'm going to mount it soon so I still would like to see if I can get it replaced. Any ideas or suggestions on what I can buy and where? Thanks.
post #750 of 781 Old 05-13-2010, 04:52 PM

I received my sony projector today from another store (transfer) and the power cord that was sent does not fit.. They sent a power cord that has a L shape at the end that plugs into the projector. I need a power cord that is straight at the end that plugs into the projector. For those we have the projector already, can someone please send me the specs for the power cord (amps, volts, length, etc.). I am thinking I can use the same power cord that is used for one of my PC monitors.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vplhw10 3 Lcd Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page