Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
jxo
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to add an HDMI switch after my Onkyo receiver so I can switch the HDMI output from the Onkyo 606 to either a Mitsu DLP TV or to a Samsung DLP projector.

Most switches are described as enabling 2 or more output devices (eg, DVD, BluRay, cable box) to connect to one display device NOT one output to 2 or more displays.

Nonetheless, will something like the Monoprice switch work in this way?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Or must one use an HDMI splitter instead (which do not seem to have switching capability and I fear may be more likely to cause signal degradation).

thanks.

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

As long as the price doesn't put you off, an option is an HDMI distribution amp. Gefen do one with 2 inputs and 2 outputs, the inputs are switchable via a remote, the output are simultaneous.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
you might be interested in this switch/splitter I just picked up from Octava.

it's a 5x2 switch / splitter and can output to 2 devices at the same time. My receiver only has 2 HDMI inputs, here is how I have it setup.

Pioneer BDP-05FD / Oppo 983 / Fios HD / Shuttle HTPC -> 5x2 Switch

5x2 Switch Output 1 -> Yahama Receiver -> Samsung 40" LCD
5x2 Switch Output 2 -> Mitsubishi HC5500 Front Projector

Since only 1 input is going into the receiver, I leave it on 'DVD' input, then do all my switching via the Octava. It has codes for the Harmony and includes a remote control as well.

I can watch any HD source on both displays and the audio sync is perfect. The switch also passes all HD audio codecs and is deep color compatible. A little expensive, but did include 5 nice HDMI cables.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit...2_toslink.html

post #4 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxo View Post

I would like to add an HDMI switch after my Onkyo receiver so I can switch the HDMI output from the Onkyo 606 to either a Mitsu DLP TV or to a Samsung DLP projector.

Most switches are described as enabling 2 or more output devices (eg, DVD, BluRay, cable box) to connect to one display device NOT one output to 2 or more displays.

Nonetheless, will something like the Monoprice switch work in this way?

Or must one use an HDMI splitter instead (which do not seem to have switching capability and I fear may be more likely to cause signal degradation).

thanks.

You need a 1x2,
1 input with 2 outputs (dont think they make those yet)

That one you linked to wont work for your application,
its a 2x1, in other words 2 sources, to one display.

I'm using the monoprice 4x2 with good results
to split my signal from my Yamaha RX-V1800 to my Pioneer plasma/ Epson projector simultaneously
...no need to ever switch, just plug it in and forget it.
$79

The other option is to plug up to four HDMI player/sources into the 4x2switch,
then run output A to your AVR for and then take the HDMI out from your AVR to your tv.
and Simultaneously run output B from the 4x2 to the projector.

I tried both, but prefer the first option and doing the switching with my AVR instead,
the remote that comes with the 4x2 seems quirky, perhaps if one was to program a Harmony remote to replace it,
that would have better switching performance. With up to 6 devices your asking for a lot of HDMI handshaking

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #5 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
jxo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post

to split my signal from my Yamaha RX-V1800 to my Pioneer plasma/ Epson projector simultaneously
$79...

then run output A to your AVR for and then take the HDMI out from your AVR to your tv.

I tried both, but prefer the first option and doing the switching with my AVR instead...

PioManiac and others: thanks much. I am not sure of the 2 setup options. With the first option are you simply connecting you AVR to one of the 4 inputs on the switch (leaving the other 3 inputs unused) and connecting your 2 display devices to the 2 outputs on the switch?? So you are using it as a 1-2 switch.

In this mode, I assume you are connecting additional signal sources directly to your AVR (rather than to the switch itself) and the handoffs still work fine.

Regards,
Jim
post #6 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxo View Post

PioManiac and others: thanks much. I am not sure of the 2 setup options. With the first option are you simply connecting you AVR to one of the 4 inputs on the switch (leaving the other 3 inputs unused) and connecting your 2 display devices to the 2 outputs on the switch?? So you are using it as a 1-2 switch.

In this mode, I assume you are connecting additional signal sources directly to your AVR (rather than to the switch itself) and the handoffs still work fine.

Bingo!

I like to use my AVR as the switcher because it:
#1) is more consistant with HDCP (Handshake issues)
#2) shows which device is currently playing on the AVR's display panel
#3) allows me to adjust and save my AVR settings specific to each device.

I know it seems a shame to leave 3 HDMI ports on the 4x2 unused,
but by just using the 4x2 as a powered splitter you can leave it plugged in, out of sight, (very low current draw) and never have to use the remote for it.

I dont know of anyone currently making a 2X1 HDMI splitter that supports v 1.3 and works as well,
but it would ultimately be the answer for most if us who just want to use two displays.
The other option may work for those who need extra HDMI ports, not an issue for me as my AVR already has 4 HDMI inputs.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #7 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

i am currently using HDMI for video only. i have two sources: my Comcast DVR and my Denon 3800 blu-ray player (each of which only have one HDMI out).

i will also have two displays: my Sony KDS-R70XBR2 and (most likely) a Sony VPL-HW10.

i will never be viewing these two displays at the same time. it will either be the tv or the projector (the projector screen comes down in front of the television).

i'd need two HDMI ins, and two HDMI outs, with only one output operating at a time.

what would be my preferred options?
post #8 of 19 Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

the 4x2 would work fine

Just don't turn the TV on when the PJ is going
I dont, unless I want to show someone I can.

You dont have to use both displays at the same time just because you can.
It's not going to degrade your signal either way.

My First Home Theater
post #9 of 19 Old 10-29-2008, 06:45 AM

I have the monoprice switch as well. And I have my blu-ray & hd-dvd connect to my Yamaha AVR through hdmi. Then connect the AVR to the monoprice as well as my HD cable box. And I also connect 2 displays (Pioneer Kuro plasma & Sony FP) from the monoprice. It works prefect without any seen degrading on the PQ. However, I have 2 issue with the switch. First the switch is slow on switching between sources, or actually, maybe it IR receiver didn't response to remote at all! I usually have to fight with the remote over a min to have the switch really do the switch of the source. Since I find out myself not watching too much TV from the hd cable box, so it is not really a big issue to me. Second, the switch cause some hand shake issue with PC, so I have to connect my htpc directly to the both displays(glad that dual hdmi output is available for PC).
post #10 of 19 Old 10-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:

You need a 1x2,

$79

I tried both, but prefer the first option and doing the switching with my AVR instead,
the remote that comes with the 4x2 seems quirky, perhaps if one was to program a Harmony remote to replace it,
that would have better switching performance. With up to 6 devices your asking for a lot of HDMI handshaking

Hey PioManiac, your projector seems like having a better picture than your Pio plasma! Which Epson projector and screen combo are you having? I find my Kuro still have better picture than my Sony projector. Even after ISF calibrated the projector (just EV tune on Kuro), my Kuro still give more pop pic, more realistic metallic, a lot better black than the Sony.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Damn! I spent over 4G for the Sony VW60 and 1G for the grandview tab-tension screen and then another 1G to have it ISF calibrate and some nice & expansive power cable, line conditioner, aluminum ceiling mount...etc. But I still not quite satisfy with the PQ when compare to my Kuro. And even my wife and kids able to tell the difference. I think my main problem is the crappy screen! it is only a 1.0 gain. So do you mind to let me know where you get your screen from? BTW, I am from Toronto.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM

I have fully light control and I know with my throw range and 106" size it recommended to use 1.1 gain screen. So that's why I suspect the screen is the killer of the PQ. And the ISF calibrator also not feeling about the screen. So how is the quality of your screen? any wrinkle? or fold line?
post #13 of 19 Old 10-29-2008, 12:55 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

You need a 1x2,

$79

I am using this same switch (after AVR) and it works every time. I agree just plug it in and it works. No need to switch anything. I can have either device on or both and the switch does it automatically.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Hi guys - I'm planning to put a second TV (or HDMI-equipped monitor) in my rec room near my bar. Intent is to either duplicate what's on the big-screen for people who can't otherwise see it from the bar, but also to show one feed on the big-screen and one on this smaller TV.

Will the monoprice do both: splitting a single source to both displays, and displaying individual sources on each display? And what if the displays are different resolutions (1080p and 720p)?

Cheers,

-Doug
post #15 of 19 Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Monoprice sells HDMI distributors (or distributions amps or splitters):

They aren't listed with the switches on monoprice.

My receiver has two HDMI outs, so I haven't tried this out yet.
post #16 of 19 Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

What about this from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

This is a 4X2 true matrix switch, which allows you to switch 4 inputs to 2 outputs individually. So you could have, for example a blu-ray player output to a first display and a cable box output to a second device., Or have the blu-ray player (or cable box) output to both displays. It is also 1.3 compatible.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-19-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

What about this from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

This is a 4X2 true matrix switch, which allows you to switch 4 inputs to 2 outputs individually. So you could have, for example a blu-ray player output to a first display and a cable box output to a second device., Or have the blu-ray player (or cable box) output to both displays. It is also 1.3 compatible.

Thanks Steve - totally what I'm thinking of doing. I'm just not sure how it works when/if you have two displays with different characteristics (ex. 1080p on one, 720p on the other), sending the same signal to both.

I suspect the easy answer is that it passes whatever the source is sending, and if the source is sending something higher than one display, it's up to the display to downrez. Would love to hear someone doing it first-hand though before investing!

-Doug
post #18 of 19 Old 01-19-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Im thinking of trying this unit. I have a Sony VW80 in my theater and a LCD display in my exercise room. The two rooms are never used at the same time, and I'm too "cheap" to pay another $10/month for anothe FIOS stb. So I'm thinking of getting this matrix switch, which would also give me the option of sending bluray from the theater to the exercise room. Getting the signal from the theater to the exercise room would be via multiple CAT5E runs that are already run (this would require a HDMI to CAT5 converter on each end for the ercise room).

My understanding is that the matrix switch would pass whatever signal you input to it to the display, which would be responsible for any required scaling/deinterlacing, if needed. This is fine as long as the displays support the signals. In may case, the LCD display in the exercise room does not support 1080p/24 from the PS3 blu-ray player, whereas the VW80 does.

Monoprice provides a 21 day return policy iof it does not work for you.

steve
post #19 of 19 Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoong View Post

Hey PioManiac, your projector seems like having a better picture than your Pio plasma! Which Epson projector and screen combo are you having? I find my Kuro still have better picture than my Sony projector. Even after ISF calibrated the projector (just EV tune on Kuro), my Kuro still give more pop pic, more realistic metallic, a lot better black than the Sony.

Keep in mind that the plasma in that image has a bright light being blasted on the glass causing the image to look worse than it would under normal operation. I don't think there is a projector on the market that can match a Kuro plasma in overall picture quality. This is coming from a guy with Sony XBR LCD's and a JVC HD750 projector. The only reason I didn't get a Kuro was because my room had way too many windows in it so I went the LCD route. If anyone knows of a projector that beats a Kuro, please let me know.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page