Need opinions on my plan for PT-AE3000U setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-01-2008, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've decided to order the PT-AE3000U this week, and I'm trying to decide on a screen and the rest of the accessories. I have a light controlled room, and my seat will be about 16-ft from the screen. The projector will be about 14-ft from the screen.

For the screen, I think I'm going to order a 100" 16x9 Elite manual screen with 1.1 gain. The price with shipping is very good, and I can return it easily if I am not happy with it. The size should fit perfectly in the space I have available.

For the projector mount, I'm planning on the Atdec TH-WH-PJ-CM. The reviews for this mount are good, and I need around 24" of drop from my ceiling. I have verified that the drop will not interfere with the view from any seat.

I will need a 30-ft HDMI cable, a 35-ft component video cable, and a few short HDMI cables. The prices at MyCableMart seem reasonable, but I am open to suggestions.

I will need a 5x1 HDMI switch. The HDX-501 at MyCableMart sounds good, but again I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.
RyanD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old 11-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My opinion is your seats are way too far back for a 100" screen unless its mostly for TV watching. I'm sitting about 11-12 feet from a 110" wide 2.40 screen and it seems perfect to me for BluRay movies. Since most BluRays are 2.35 or 2.40 ratio, on the 16:9 screen they will be even smaller.

With the Panny 3000 you have the resolution to sit much closer and with the smoothscreen you won't see any pixels. I don't see any pixels on my Epson Powerlite 1080 from my seats. If you have the space I would seriously consider CIH 2.40 screen and an anamorphic lens, that's what I have and I'll never go back to 16:9, but I only watch BluRay movies in my theater.
stopdog is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopdog View Post

My opinion is your seats are way too far back for a 100" screen unless its mostly for TV watching. I'm sitting about 11-12 feet from a 110" wide 2.40 screen and it seems perfect to me for BluRay movies. Since most BluRays are 2.35 or 2.40 ratio, on the 16:9 screen they will be even smaller.

It would be simple to try the 100" screen at different distances to see what works best. I'm going from a 65" CRT RPTV, so 100" is a pretty big increase.
RyanD is offline  
post #4 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
gowgow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You mention that the 100" screen would fit perfectly for you so perhaps you can't go much larger, but I would agree with stopdog that if you can get a somewhat larger screen, you should. With the brightness and resolution of this projector, it should work great with a much larger screen. 100" is certainly a nice step up from 65" but If you have room, I think most anyone would be happier with a 110"-130" screen.
gowgow is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
stopdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post

It would be simple to try the 100" screen at different distances to see what works best. I'm going from a 65" CRT RPTV, so 100" is a pretty big increase.

Ryan,

I'm on my 3rd dedicated theater in 3 different houses. The first one was a 7" CRT front projection, 2nd one a 9" CRT front projection and then later 720p DLP. These were both prior to BluRay. Both had 106" 16:9 screens. BluRay and 1080p digital front projection changed everything for me. It allows you to sit much closer to the screen and not see scanlines or pixels. Combine that with a 2.35 ratio screen and an anamorphic lens which allows you to keep all those pixels within the cinemascope frame without zooming and now you have a real immersive movie experience.

But like I said its all about what you are going to use it for. If its for watching sports on TV or gaming and an occasonal Bluray movie, the setup you descibe might be good. But if its for strictly BluRay movies IMO you need to look in another direction and do it right the first time. At least consider it.
stopdog is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
ed_t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try projecting onto the wall or a bed sheet for about a week before you order the screen. It will help you determine the screen size which is most comfortable for you.
ed_t is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Member
 
AWBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_t View Post

Try projecting onto the wall or a bed sheet for about a week before you order the screen. It will help you determine the screen size which is most comfortable for you.

Excellent advice. I feel like a 100" screen would be too small at 16ft. I have 100" at 12ft and I want a bigger screen.
AWBoy is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
aquafire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
100" is too small at any distance
aquafire is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Senior Member
 
conradjohnsonfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I personally never recommend manual pulldown screens as they almost always come with waves or develop waves eventually that deteriorate the viewing experience by a significant factor.

The only exception is a Da-Lite Hi-Power manual pulldown screen with a projector mounted at close to eye level.




Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post

I've decided to order the PT-AE3000U this week, and I'm trying to decide on a screen and the rest of the accessories. I have a light controlled room, and my seat will be about 16-ft from the screen. The projector will be about 14-ft from the screen.

For the screen, I think I'm going to order a 100" 16x9 Elite manual screen with 1.1 gain. The price with shipping is very good, and I can return it easily if I am not happy with it. The size should fit perfectly in the space I have available.

For the projector mount, I'm planning on the Atdec TH-WH-PJ-CM. The reviews for this mount are good, and I need around 24" of drop from my ceiling. I have verified that the drop will not interfere with the view from any seat.

I will need a 30-ft HDMI cable, a 35-ft component video cable, and a few short HDMI cables. The prices at MyCableMart seem reasonable, but I am open to suggestions.

I will need a 5x1 HDMI switch. The HDX-501 at MyCableMart sounds good, but again I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

conradjohnsonfan is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice, but you're all missing the point. If I'm not happy with the 100" screen, it costs me nothing to try it. Then I can plan something different. If I can figure out how to make a 110-120" fit, that will be great.

Any comments on the rest of the accessories?
RyanD is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old 11-02-2008, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:


Thanks for the advice, but you're all missing the point. If I'm not happy with the 100" screen, it costs me nothing to try it. Then I can plan something different. If I can figure out how to make a 110-120" fit, that will be great.

Any comments on the rest of the accessories?

Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your setup. I say go for it, get the stuff and start enjoying your home theater !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old 11-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
conradjohnsonfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
oh, I didn't miss your point, I am just trying to save you some trouble, as it is very likely you will be dissatisfied.

Go ahead and try it, maybe you will be lucky and get a low cost screen that you will be pleased with. If it doesn't work out, it only cost you time and frustration. Myself, I live to avoid the wasted time and frustration.




Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post

Thanks for the advice, but you're all missing the point. If I'm not happy with the 100" screen, it costs me nothing to try it. Then I can plan something different. If I can figure out how to make a 110-120" fit, that will be great.

Any comments on the rest of the accessories?

conradjohnsonfan is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 11-03-2008, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by conradjohnsonfan View Post

oh, I didn't miss your point, I am just trying to save you some trouble, as it is very likely you will be dissatisfied.

Go ahead and try it, maybe you will be lucky and get a low cost screen that you will be pleased with. If it doesn't work out, it only cost you time and frustration. Myself, I live to avoid the wasted time and frustration.

It seems very easy to me to install hooks in the ceiling at various distances to see what works best. I can easily move it up to 4-ft closer, which would make it 12-ft from my seat. Then I can decide if it is better to build a fixed screen and what size to make it. It will take much more time to build a screen, and I only want to do that once.
RyanD is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Member
 
ak808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If your going with the 100" screen I'd suggest you move it up 4 feet closer. I myself have a 106" cinetension from elite and my seating distance is about 13 feet. At first I though wow this is awesome. Then out of all people my girlfriend said "Yeah, you could have went bigger." I swear my jaw dropped when I heard that. She is the very one that told me that 106" was gonna be way to big and 100 or 92 would be enough. But, yeah everyone is different but, try installing the screen 4 foot up first. At least that way it'll save you the trouble of installing the screen twice, because it can be a bitch getting it all setup.
ak808 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 11-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Member
 
ak808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh as far as hdmi cables go I have a 45 ft run which I bought from ebay. Just a word of warning make sure you get a good quality cable when doing long runs. Someone refered me the one that bluejeans sells. If you decide to do a splitter say LCD and Projector setup don't get a passive splitter. Nothing but headaches for me. Not sure how a switch will effect a long hdmi run though.
ak808 is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak808 View Post

Oh as far as hdmi cables go I have a 45 ft run which I bought from ebay. Just a word of warning make sure you get a good quality cable when doing long runs. Someone refered me the one that bluejeans sells. If you decide to do a splitter say LCD and Projector setup don't get a passive splitter. Nothing but headaches for me. Not sure how a switch will effect a long hdmi run though.

Thanks for the tip. From the info at Bluejeans, it sounds like 30-ft is generally not an issue for 1080p. The 5-1 switch that I'm looking at also supposedly boosts the signal. It should be ok, but I'll look into a little more.
RyanD is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I'm going to get the cables and switches from Monoprice. Good prices, and most people seem very happy with them.
RyanD is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
aquafire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes Monoprice is very good. I bought all my cables from them very happy.
aquafire is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 11-08-2008, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everything is on the way. Hopefully, I can get it installed next weekend. I think I'll start with the 100" screen at 12-ft since that requires the least effort.
RyanD is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 11-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Newbie
 
bobz318369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You will definitely want bigger than 100'' i give it two weeks, i have 150'' from 16 feet away and would go bigger if my wall allowed it. The whole point of a high quality projector is Big screens :-)
bobz318369 is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old 11-17-2008, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RyanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have it installed temporarily just to see how I want to arrange things. I located the ceiling studs and hung the screen. It turns on that it is only 10-ft away at the current location. I think this may be just a little too close. I think the next stud should be about 12-ft away, so I'm going to put another set of hooks in the ceiling there to compare.

I can either mount the projector on the ceiling about 10-ft from the screen or on the back wall. Is it better overall to have the projector as close as possible to the screen or farther away? I realize that the light output decreases with distance, but does the uniformity improve with distance?
RyanD is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off