post #181 of 196 Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

The bottom line is that this projector could be had last November for $5480 AUD and now the same site is advertising it for $6999 AUD out-of-stock until March 9th. (These prices include shipping and insurance to US.) That's a substantial increase, even with the great exchange rate. That $1K US price increase is simply greed on someone's part. The cost to make and distribute the projector didn't go up 30% in 3 months. The exchange rate is still nearly the same. Greed, pure and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey66 View Post

Yes,last November the Australian dollar was lower than it is now,but it also comes down to what the exchange rate was at the time when the projectors were imported.If the deal was done in August or September,our dollar was quite strong then.Projector prices for this March would be based on current conditions,therefore they must go up.
Don't complain about Sony over here,complain to Sony over there for ripping you guys off and also for not giving you decent model choices.

I would guess that pricing was set back in August/September time frame. If so, there has been a substantial USD/JPY movement and I would not be at all surprised to see prices increase.

And here is the AUD vs Japanes Yen. Seems like a 30% increase in price could be completely justified due to FX rate changes.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

The bottom line is that this projector could be had last November for $5480 AUD and now the same site is advertising it for $6999 AUD out-of-stock until March 9th. (These prices include shipping and insurance to US.) That's a substantial increase, even with the great exchange rate. That $1K US price increase is simply greed on someone's part. The cost to make and distribute the projector didn't go up 30% in 3 months. The exchange rate is still nearly the same. Greed, pure and simple.

Here we go again...Please refer to what I said and argued about earlier re the exchange rate and what others have written since then in reply. It's not about what the exchange rate has been in the last 3 months...

post #183 of 196 Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

stevenjw,

Do you have a VW80?
steve

No. I missed out on picking one up last year. The were sold out by December. Now the price is based on new valuation from lower AUD exchange rate. I see where Oz dealers have to pay more in Yen to get them now, so the fantastic deal is over. Still, the Oz price is lower than elsewhere and yes, Sony sucks for higher prices/inferior models in the States. But at current US cost and virtually no warranty, it's a different story.

I would have upgraded from my Ruby at the low price from last year and sold the VW100 to make it cost effective. I missed that opportunity and now it's not worth the incremental upgrade. My Ruby still looks great, so I'll wait for a while (next gen or LED down the road).

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #184 of 196 Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
stevenjw,

Was curious whether you had one because there are not many in the U.S. I have a VW80, and I received an email from another person (who happens to live less than 10 minutes from me) who also has one. Since there are so few in the U.S. (approx. 8-10, from what I understand), I found it interesting that 3 of them would be in Montgomery County.

Steve
post #185 of 196 Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any new news? Anybody know of stock? Price Increase? Hello.... appreciate a response here or PM. thanks!
post #186 of 196 Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardioman View Post

Any new news? Anybody know of stock? Price Increase? Hello.... appreciate a response here or PM. thanks!

Price increase was confirmed as occurring after the 15th. I got the full story on why they were so cheap in the first place. Not only was the exchange rate favorable, Sony actually screwed up the pricing, effectively making the VW80s below cost. That would explain a sizable price increase. My contact at Sony took the liberty of ordering me another one at the old price last week after I inquired about the price rise. I don't have to take it though but I could replace my VW100 with it.

post #187 of 196 Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post

I got the full story on why they were so cheap in the first place. Not only was the exchange rate favorable, Sony actually screwed up the pricing, effectively making the VW80s below cost.

this does not surprise me in the least. that's why i didn't believe the transaction was going through until i opened the box myself and the VW80 was inside.
post #188 of 196 Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm still on the fence on this current deal....any one place an order recently at the going rate?
post #189 of 196 Old 03-28-2009, 04:15 AM

I saw the price went up to AUS$8000+..... is it the current street price now in Australia?
post #190 of 196 Old 03-28-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by li.ar.ma View Post

I saw the price went up to AUS$8000+..... is it the current street price now in Australia?

Seems to be the case re street price. Take a look even online the shopbot comparison engine: http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.as...osition=search . In some cases it's more than $A8k. The lowest I've noticed is an ebay is $A7.5k.

I ended up getting another one before the price rise for $A5000 . It's going to replace my much loved 70" XBR2 SXRD.

Guess it's time to wrap this thread up...was fun while it lasted !

post #191 of 196 Old 03-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Seems to be the case re street price. Take a look even online the shopbot comparison engine: http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.as...osition=search . In some cases it's more than $A8k. The lowest I've noticed is an ebay is $A7.5k.

I ended up getting another one before the price rise for $A5000 . It's going to replace my much loved 70" XBR2 SXRD.

Guess it's time to wrap this thread up...was fun while it lasted !

I thought I bought one but it turns out seller doesn't have any in stock and thinks he maybe getting more next month.

Is there any place online that sells these maybe used? I'd appreciate any reference on where to buy new or used.

70" XBR2 SXRD is nice TV. I have one too and it's been awesome for last two years.
post #192 of 196 Old 03-29-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyHome View Post

I thought I bought one but it turns out seller doesn't have any in stock and thinks he maybe getting more next month.

Is there any place online that sells these maybe used? I'd appreciate any reference on where to buy new or used.

70" XBR2 SXRD is nice TV. I have one too and it's been awesome for last two years.

Don't know of any decent place to source used online here. Certainly nothing like audiogon for example. Classifieds like the national Trading Post are possible, but still highly unlikely places. I would also say there aren't really enough around and the unit is just not old enough yet to see it turn up used here.

It's quite a contemplation moving on from the 70", mines been rock solid for 3 years.

post #193 of 196 Old 03-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't know of any decent place to source used online here. Certainly nothing like audiogon for example. Classifieds like the national Trading Post are possible, but still highly unlikely places. I would also say there aren't really enough around and the unit is just not old enough yet to see it turn up used here.

It's quite a contemplation moving on from the 70", mines been rock solid for 3 years.

Thanks for the feedback.

Is www.webprice.com.au a reputable place? I got good rate but they want me to send bank transfer as payment. I don't think I want to do that.

I intend to keep my 70XBR2 for few more years. I still have the extra bulb that came with it. It'll move to basement entertainment center after my basement is finished.
post #194 of 196 Old 03-29-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

Is www.webprice.com.au a reputable place? I got good rate but they want me to send bank transfer as payment. I don't think I want to do that.

I intend to keep my 70XBR2 for few more years. I still have the extra bulb that came with it. It'll move to basement entertainment center after my basement is finished.

To be honest I wouldn't know. It's certainly not a well known online retailer, not the we have many in that category here to begin with. They are probably ok, but as you say, it's b.s. to have to use a bank transfer in this day and age. I get annoyed by US stores who treat Aus customers that way and generally take my money elsewhere.

You might want to try shopbot, there is one store still promoting the old price, which I'd only believe if they confirmed they'd honor it: http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.as...osition=search

post #195 of 196 Old 03-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To be honest I wouldn't know. It's certainly not a well known online retailer, not the we have many in that category here to begin with. They are probably ok, but as you say, it's b.s. to have to use a bank transfer in this day and age. I get annoyed by US stores who treat Aus customers that way and generally take my money elsewhere.

You might want to try shopbot, there is one store still promoting the old price, which I'd only believe if they confirmed they'd honor it: http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.as...osition=search

Thank you. I saw that from your earlier post. I sent them an email but never heard back. I've decided to just buy the HW10 for now and maybe look for something in the upcoming Sony line up here in the US.
post #196 of 196 Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you. I saw that from your earlier post. I sent them an email but never heard back. I've decided to just buy the HW10 for now and maybe look for something in the upcoming Sony line up here in the US.

Good call, I would say that's your best bet at this stage.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page