Official Planar PD8150 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well I got it open, but I'm not really sure where to start. I feel it's a bit more dire than something simple, like I said above, there are absolutely no signs of life with it now. The Power button LED doesn't even light anymore. It's not like it powers up but won't light, or won't stay lit, right now, there's just nothing.
If I recall, the power button has a wire that has to be removed when you take the lid off doesn't it?
You did plug the switch back in when you put the lid back on didn't you?
I know I had mine running when opened up.. think the lid was kid of half over the back if I remember.. And I also think I remember freaking out after I put it back together one time and it did now have power.. cause I forgot to plug in the switch..

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Well first off, there was no light on the LED before I opened it. But no I haven't disconnected it, to fully remove the lid you would have to but I don't have it quite that far off.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old Today, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Well first off, there was no light on the LED before I opened it. But no I haven't disconnected it, to fully remove the lid you would have to but I don't have it quite that far off.
Got it, sorry to hear it was lifeless before the lid came off.
Now I can tell you when I opened mine up which was an ebay extra I got from Seegs the "projector collector" there were many loose and unattached ground wires as well as a thermal fuse that was no longer attached to anything .. never did fine where it went.. So.. Considering you had a possible over heat issues, that thermal fuse may have blown which would cause a no power condition. I believe it was a red wire... wait I found a photo.. later on I ended up pulling it out and finding that the other end was just laying in the projector an no particular place..
My guess is that lives under neath everything.. I did not dissemble mine to expose the power supply .. And I could not find that red and white wire in any of the online photos at the time ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1925.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	917474  

Doug

Last edited by airscapes; Today at 02:57 PM.
Old Today, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well I contacted Planar, first things first, I'll see what options they give me, before I go disassembling and potentially making things worse (more expensive). If they're unhelpful, I guess I will look into digging further.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old Today, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked: 625
I think you're going to be disappointed. They're probably going to say "send it in for service/inspection." This is how most CE companies handle situations like this.

Last edited by Seegs108; Today at 06:33 PM.
Old Today, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well that's what I assume will happen, I'll be disappointed if I get the "You have to request an RMA through your dealer" response. My question at this point (beyond if they'll help at all), is how much it will cost to just figure out what's wrong.

I'm just hoping there's an option for me other than ("permanently") remounting my mostly functioning BenQ W5000, Viteq Qumi, or picking up something new like a BenQ W1075 or something, after the RS4910 anything much more expensive than a new BenQ is really not an option.

Last edited by stanger89; Today at 06:14 PM.
Old Today, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, the other issue you have is Planar won't sell you part, even if they have them.... hell they claim not to have service manuals for the thing.. Seegs, bet you could start your own little service business.. parts.. get your planar part here!

Doug

Old Today, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 653
The Planar/Runco's are starting to dry up on ebay, there used to be 2-3 every other month.

I'd like to take it apart and get at that power supply to see if anything is obvious there. If Runco could repair it for ~$500 or under I think it would be worth keeping vs. replacing it with a budget DLP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement