Official Planar PD8150 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #361 of 366 Old 06-22-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Good points stranger89. I also used to game on it and didn't realize that it was great for that too compared to others. Since my Planar is working perfectly with its brand new bulb, and I don't have any extra money, I will definitely be keeping it for the foreseeable future. I have a driving wheel with stick shift and driving chair that it is mounted into that I haven't used for awhile. I also have a GTX 1070, so maybe it is time to start playing some newer games on it. One of my old favorites is Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed. I am glad to hear that the Planar has finally been matched in its best categories, and that lag may also be fixed with low lag mode. I was trying to play a NES emulator on my Plasma TV and couldn't stand the lag. Not sure how it would work with the Planar, but lag is very bad for games. I do have my Atari 2600 hooked up to it and didn't notice any major issues with lag, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 366 Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
The Planar is 16ms lag, one frame. Probably not as good as an SD CRT, but I can't imagine it would be perceptible.

Reportedly the new JVCs, in low lag mode, are around 30-35ms. I really want to try one, but I'm holding out for a slightly larger update, maybe they'll have a Laser version for 2018.
post #363 of 366 Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Runco LS-5 and my picture went out so I bought a new lamp and it worked for about a week then died again. I sent it in to Runco and they replaced the power supply and all is well now. I have a new lamp and hopefully the power supply lasts long enough until I want to upgrade to something else. I bought it about 8 years ago and it's my only projector purchase. From what I have read and all the comments on this forum I made a good choice.

post #364 of 366 Old Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
May be, but when I can't buy a part like a power supply because they're embargoed, I receive that message and move on. No more Planar/Runco for me. Too risky.
post #365 of 366 Old Today, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3141 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum` View Post
No more Planar/Runco for me. Too risky.
That's not a problem, they're not making either anymore anyway.
post #366 of 366 Old Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 292
The great thing about this projector is that it is a tank and lamps are $180! It is put together with screws and can be disassembled with a Philips screwdriver.. As was stated, parts need to come form a parts machine you have stored in a box or closet.. Not exactly for everyone.. but thrift DIYer.. sending $1200-$1500 on a used PD8150/30 or LS5/3 is a fairly safe gamble in my experience. And the image is miles better then what one can buy new in that price range new.. But you got be willing to take that chance..

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP