Official Planar PD8150 Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 201 Old 12-10-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
AVS does sell add on short throw convertor lens. Otherwise if you want to change out your lense I think you are going to have to go through a Runco/Planar dealer.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 201 Old 12-10-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post

Did you call Runco and see if they sell them directly?

I sent Planar an email a couple days ago to their sales department. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

---------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #123 of 201 Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

AVS does sell add on short throw convertor lens. Otherwise if you want to change out your lense I think you are going to have to go through a Runco/Planar dealer.

That's great news. I'll have to give them a call!

How does that work though? Does it replace the lens or does it go in front of the existing one sort of like an anamorphic lens?

post #124 of 201 Old 12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

it fits over the top like a CIH lens

I have never seen one on a pj, but in the lower end forum they talk about them and the zoom lens as well. I would call Mark or Benito about them.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #125 of 201 Old 12-11-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Here is a link to the page that lists the converter lens.
http://shop.avscience.com/Projection...nses_c_47.html

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #126 of 201 Old 12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

What do you guys think about a lens like this:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ber=VCLHG0872X

It's not marketed for projectors but it does have 72mm threads which fits on top of my existing standard lens. I can get one used for $199. I'm going to try it out unless you guys think it's not going to work out well as I would imagine they're pretty much the same thing.

post #127 of 201 Old 12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry I do not know anything about them. I am not sure if a camera one will be as good as a PJ one and or what the differences are.

David

post #128 of 201 Old 01-14-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi Folks and Happy New Year....

I have run across a "gently used" LS-5 and was wondering what you folks felt a reasonable price should be these days?

thank you

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #129 of 201 Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering the LS-5's street price is very close to its MSRP, I would say anything close to or lower than $4000 is a good deal.

post #130 of 201 Old 01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Considering the LS-5's street price is very close to its MSRP, I would say anything close to or lower than $4000 is a good deal.

I agree. Great projector.

Eqpmt: Denon AVR-4520CI, EP 4000's, Sony BDP-S5100, Old Rear Projection DLP. 

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 

On Deck: TD6M's/SEOS Surrounds x 6, Finalists (maybe)

post #131 of 201 Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I bought my LS-5 just shy of two years ago when AVS still sold them, right in the center of your estimate and the current MSRP. There are a couple of other brands selling basically the same pj (one of them using a different case design) at the same MSRP that Runco is. At it's price point, I don't believe there are any DLP pj's on the market with better performance. It's a great pj whose design is still holding up quite well.
post #132 of 201 Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 17
A while back I moved house, and after remounting my PD8150 I found that the remote does not work anymore.

Of course I'm out of warranty, but I called Planar Tech Support and he said to replace the remote. Well the remote is behaving properly with the backlight and activity light, but I went ahead and replaced the batteries. Still no good.

As the Planar Tech immediately said 'replace the remote' I figured there was a known problem with them. As everything seemed to be working OK I figured the LED went out, so I replaced it (with a known correct one). Still didn't work. So I got my cameraphone and looked at the LED with it, and sure enough it is firing like it should,

Well in the User Guide it says that maybe there is an "IR code set mismatch between unit remote projector". So I held Light and Enter as it said, until the backlight flashed, but that didn't fix it. I did it once more to put it back to default, in hopes that there are only two IR codesets. (How many are there?)

This leaves the horrifying possibility that it's something in the projector. The fact that it happened on a house move, speaks to a loose connection. But I'd opened it up and didn't find anything glaringly wrong with the front or back connections.

Any advice? Where can I get a schematic? Does this projector use NEC codes like somebody said?
post #133 of 201 Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

... Does this projector use NEC codes like somebody said?

This is from one of their brochures...

Dual IR set – Two independent sets of NEC HEX commands

Sorry, I do not have any further details.
post #134 of 201 Old 07-15-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

I called Planar Tech Support and he said to replace the remote. Well the remote is behaving properly with the backlight and activity light, but I went ahead and replaced the batteries. Still no good.

Don't forget there are IR receivers at both ends of the pj and it's unlikely they both went bad. If you still can't get it to fire up then try replacing the remote like the rep said.

post #135 of 201 Old 07-15-2012, 04:39 PM

Liked: 17
Thanks. I tried all the NEC codes for my Dish remote, and no dice. It may be though that something's wrong with the projector's remote circuitry, I don't know.

Next step is to upgrade the firmware. Who has rs232 anymore? I do have a USB-to-UART adapter, and have loaded the driver for Winduhs. But when I run the firmware upgrade utility it insists on a port from com1-255. No way to direct it to a USB-to-serial port. No idea what to do about that.

Ya smithfarmer, I've been trying the back and front pickups. I suspect their wires go to the same circuitry. I'd hoped the Dish remote would work with a NEC code, in the place of the Planar remote, but no luck.
post #136 of 201 Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

You might also try asking in the other 8150 thread where more users may see your question:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1122246/planar-8150-follow-up-impressions

post #137 of 201 Old 09-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Liked: 11
Had my first issue with the 8150 last night: the red/green flashing indicator that shows either a lamp housing cover unlatched (wasn't the case) or a bulb failure. This was the replacement bulb and housing I bought directly from Planar support (Runco's site) and had about 349 hours on it. Replaced the bulb/housing with the original one I was using as a spare (with about 450 hours) and it worked fine (thanks to my wife who figured out I was trying to put it back in upside down (I had left it on the mount on the ceiling)!). I sent their support folks an email asking about warranty information for the bulb/housing, not sure if that's a moot point, but we'll see.

Has anyone had a bulb replaced that was defective by Planar/Runco?

Looking at the "followup impressions" forum started by Kris Deering, and this one, I noticed that that seems to happen right around the 400 hour mark, plus or minus. I keep the lamp on the economy setting since I can control the theater's lighting completely, and it's very well ventilated, and rarely gets about 74 degrees in the whole upstairs. I have the 8150 on a UPS backup, so it can cool down properly, though I've never had a power failure while watching movies.

Side note: checking out the Osram site where I ALSO got a spare BULB only, I noticed the price is now $148. Not too bad, considering how much the bulb and housing cost.
post #138 of 201 Old 09-17-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Recently bought Seegs108's extra PD8150 that has apparently lived a rough life prior to his brother buying it on Ebay.
Seems it has been apart more than a few times by people that were not so good at remembering where things go.. lots of missing screws on ground wires .. HZ shift parts missing and the reason for the post..the DI does not work correctly. Seem very sluggish sometimes seconds behind the lighting change, you can see the shutters at times and opens or closes to much for a given scene change. Now it is possible this light engine is from a different projector as the color wheel timing was off and that should not happen under normal conditions as far as I know. So has anyone had there DI apart to clean the shutters? Does the light tunnel need to be broken down and the whole 90 degree corner block removed? Looks like the back actuator comes off with a couple of screws but not sure if the shutters come with it? Tech support will give no info and claim to have no service manuals AND the dealer said if you are not the original owner they don't want to service the unit.. wtf.. you would think it was a NSA Top Secret Device or something.. it's 5 freaking years old! Anyway, looking for any info on at all..
post #139 of 201 Old 09-17-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Seeing how they don't warranty it anymore I don't see why an old service center would have any issues giving out the service manual. That may be the best place to look.

post #140 of 201 Old 09-17-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Seeing how they don't warranty it anymore I don't see why an old service center would have any issues giving out the service manual. That may be the best place to look.

Well tech support from Planar says if you are not a dealer or service center you can pound sand. I called support to ask about the service menu to fix the color wheel timing and they said there is no service menu. You have to take the unit into a dealer for service. So he gave me a dealer near me and I called. First thing was "Are you the original owner" NO, " They don't like messing with used equipment but I will try and get a price on the color wheel calibration and call you back tomorrow at the latest" Never a word and the problem was fixes after I got into the menu Codes from you, that don't exist according to Planar support. I had also asked to buy a service manual from Planar and they said the have none.. If anyone knows someone who has a manual or where I can buy one please let me know.
post #141 of 201 Old 09-21-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mods removed some spam and this tread fell off the chart.. Anyone have or know where I can get a service manual? Guess this was so high end no one that bought one new would ever do any repairs on their own and the dealers they bought from probably pushed them to update when the warranty expired.. Planar did a real good job of keeping info on these out of the wild.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mad.gif
post #142 of 201 Old 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

As suggested above, you might also try asking in the other 8150 thread where more users may see your question:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1122246/planar-8150-follow-up-impressions
post #143 of 201 Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Hey guys, looking for a bit of a sanity check here (I should probably stop reading the forum and just enjoy my projector). I just replaced the lamp in my 8150, had 1400 or so on the old one and had bumped it into high lamp. Anyway, I "recently" picked up one of the less expensive light meters so I would know what I'm looking at. Anyway I did some measurments before and after and I'm curious if these sound "right" to you:

With my new lamp, I measured 175 Lux in High lamp, and 110 Lux in low. Now I've got an (approx) 110x46" screen with an anamorphic lens so by my math I came up with basically 560/360 Lumens. I'm also at the extreme long end of throw here. The 560 Lumens I think jives with what I've seen, but the 360 seems rather low, though I guess it's "only" 35% lower (sounded like more before I did the math) and I guess that's close to the 30% or so knock you get with eco mode usually. So question 1, do these numbers sound reasonable?

Question 2 is, or maybe just interesting observation, but when I measured the old lamp, I got 145/100 Lux (470/330 Lumens) which is less than a 20% drop in High lamp and only about 10% in Eco, which surprised me.

The other question is, how much brighter is the Planar at the close end of it's throw? I'm wondering if I should consider moving it more to the close end of the throw.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #144 of 201 Old 03-29-2014, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yay, a new owner! I will post my impressions later - after I've found my jaw. It has to be in the room somewhere...
But mine came without a remote. Does anyone have any idea where I might find one?
post #145 of 201 Old 03-29-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd take this as an opportunity to get a good universal remote, if you don't already have one.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #146 of 201 Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Elix, sorry you didn't get the remote, you probably should try and get one as it is a really nice remote. I know you are not in the states but check with Runco/Planar and see if they still have them for sale. Good luck with the universal .. not sure how that would work out.. If I can help in any other way PM me.
post #147 of 201 Old 03-29-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I'd take this as an opportunity to get a good universal remote, if you don't already have one.
I have this one but I don't like it. The responsiveness is bad and that gyro sensor is too sensitive. What remote do you have in mind? Are these really the best ones? Anyway, I'd still like to get a hold of the original remote. If anything, the resale value would be higher. Not that I'm thinking of selling it any time soon. smile.gif
post #148 of 201 Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

I have this one but I don't like it. The responsiveness is bad and that gyro sensor is too sensitive. What remote do you have in mind? Are these really the best ones? Anyway, I'd still like to get a hold of the original remote. If anything, the resale value would be higher. Not that I'm thinking of selling it any time soon. smile.gif
i have smart control like it alot especially if you have android tablet/phone
post #149 of 201 Old 03-29-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

I didn't really have a specific remote in mind. Lots of people like the Harmonies, and seem to have good luck. I'm not a big fan, I find URC remotes to be much better but they're more "professional" in that you generally need to get them and get them programmed through a dealer.

post #150 of 201 Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I might have an extra remote biggrin.gif

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version