Official JVC RS20/HD750 Owners Thread! - Page 134 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #3991 of 5082 Old 06-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
DIY Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having trouble controlling the motorized Zoom/Focus/Shift functions on the RS20 using the Harmony One. When I hold a command down it initially steps the motor, but continuing to hold the button down does not keep the motor working like the JVC's remote. Yes, I've adjusted the delays on the H1...tried all 0's with no luck. How do have your H1 setup for these functions?

Steve
DIY Guy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3992 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 02:43 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Greetings,

I had my RS-20 calibrated yesterday by Jeff Meier (umr). The JVC in THX mode (tweak) can look very good but post calibration takes it to another level entirely.

This projector is capable of truly magnificent images. D6500K grayscale accurately adjusted looks incredible. Gradational variations in primary colors regardless of how bright the scene is are so much more enriching. Skintones, skintones, skintones....wow. Custom gamma, subtle delineation in blacks, eye popping contrast. Total package.

Jeff's methodology, knowledge of this product, knowledge of his instruments, and practical approach all made for a superb experience that yielded stunning results.

Hands down this is the best projector I have ever owned. Those who own one or are considering it there is no doubt that it is a killer bargain in the cost/performance category. Figure the cost of a professional calibration into the price. The unit can really shine in the hands of a capable calibrator (Thanks Jeff ).

As an aside Jeff also performs full audio calibrations. He is every bit as capable and equipped in that regard and tweaked my audio setup quite nicely.


Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #3993 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 04:24 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

.... Figure the cost of a professional calibration into the price. The unit can really shine in the hands of a capable calibrator (Thanks Jeff ).


Cheers,

Thank you Ralph. It was my pleasure.
umr is offline  
post #3994 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

I had my RS-20 calibrated yesterday by Jeff Meier (umr).

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the front projection (Post#1) list that's linked at the bottom of my posts.

Your reaction to the RS-20 after Jeff's calibration is the same as mine. Unfortunately for me, I was only an observer.
htwaits is offline  
post #3995 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Member
 
transendance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have you had any experience with the planar 8150, and, could you comment on your impressions vs the rs-20. The reason I ask is that I am curious as to whether one or the other closes the "gap" in performance between them as a function of a full calibration. More specifically does a well set up rs-20 give the 8150 a run for its money in the areas where the 8150 excels?
transendance is offline  
post #3996 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 11:47 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by transendance View Post

Have you had any experience with the planar 8150, and, could you comment on your impressions vs the rs-20. The reason I ask is that I am curious as to whether one or the other closes the "gap" in performance between them as a function of a full calibration. More specifically does a well set up rs-20 give the 8150 a run for its money in the areas where the 8150 excels?

Calibration will not fix a design limitation of a product. What it can do is extract the best performance from a given sample.
umr is offline  
post #3997 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Member
 
transendance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Fair enough.
But, I imagine that a calibration could "uncork" possibilities that may otherwise not be realised. An example of what I mean would be the fantastic light output increases achieved with the 151fd kuro's once some of the isf night/day settings and calibration parameters are addressed.
So in a round about way I guess the real question I am asking is whether the machines have been compared at their best and I figured you might be a good person to ask? And of course, the underlying question, "which is better", well I guess that will always be "subjective" or "the next one".
transendance is offline  
post #3998 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 12:27 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold
 
umr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 10,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by transendance View Post

Fair enough.
But, I imagine that a calibration could "uncork" possibilities that may otherwise not be realised. An example of what I mean would be the fantastic light output increases achieved with the 151fd kuro's once some of the isf night/day settings and calibration parameters are addressed.
So in a round about way I guess the real question I am asking is whether the machines have been compared at their best and I figured you might be a good person to ask? And of course, the underlying question, "which is better", well I guess that will always be "subjective" or "the next one".

I have not calibrated a Planar at this time so I cannot comment about my observations in a calibrated setting.

When it comes to comparing projectors personal preference is going to play a significant role as well. For example I doubt I would prefer the Planar for how I use my RS20, but others may like it better in their situation. For myself I prefer great blacks, good sharpness, good image processing, very quiet machines, flexible light output and a quality attempt at cinema color restoration. I am a big fan of the Lumis if I was to upgrade it would be a projector like that assuming it was quiet and would fit my room easily.
umr is offline  
post #3999 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Member
 
transendance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you for that!
transendance is offline  
post #4000 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the front projection (Post#1) list that's linked at the bottom of my posts.

Your reaction to the RS-20 after Jeff's calibration is the same as mine. Unfortunately for me, I was only an observer.

Greetings,

Great, thanks.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #4001 of 5082 Old 06-14-2009, 10:46 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,712
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Great, thanks.


Regards,

htwaits is offline  
post #4002 of 5082 Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Member
 
Randy Ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post

I'm having trouble controlling the motorized Zoom/Focus/Shift functions on the RS20 using the Harmony One. When I hold a command down it initially steps the motor, but continuing to hold the button down does not keep the motor working like the JVC's remote. Yes, I've adjusted the delays on the H1...tried all 0's with no luck. How do have your H1 setup for these functions?

I'm having the exact same problem with my Harmony 890. No solution yet.

Randy
Randy Ta is offline  
post #4003 of 5082 Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Whoa, it's a bit nerve-racking for me to read of people having trouble controlling the lens features. My whole set up, using the zoom method, depends on having reliable operation of the lens features. However, I'll be using a pretty sophisticated remote control set up - the RTI T3 and RP6 remote control processor.

The idea is to use the RS232 control of the JVC projector, into the RTI remote control processor. The RTI system learns the commands of the original remote control, then transforms them into an RF signal which is received by the remote control processor (which sits in your component rack). The learned commands are actually stored in the rack-mounted processor, which is physically connected to your device, so there's no fudge-factor of the commands going through the air and maybe not quite making it consistently to the projector.

Hopefully this will mean good control of the lens features via the RTI remote. Fingers crossed.

(Then again, I seem to remember when I was at Mr.littlejeans' house using his RS20 projector, that he had the lens features programmed into his Harmony remote control ok).
R Harkness is offline  
post #4004 of 5082 Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
DIY Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Rich,

With your RS232 setup, I think you'll have better control of your commands as far as burst and hold on the lens command.

Randy,

I'm going to email Harmony to see if they can change the direction commands for the top level LENS function from one burst to a hold (repeat) similar to the volume control commands. Hopefully they will add it to the device database for all to enjoy.

I'll let you know what happens.

Steve
DIY Guy is online now  
post #4005 of 5082 Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: the area formerly known as Black Forest
Posts: 4,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Agree Rich. You should be fine. I have no problems using my URC MX900 remote with the lens commands.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is online now  
post #4006 of 5082 Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post

Greyscale field uniformity with the RS20?

Hey folks -- has anyone seen issue with uniformity on this projector? Is there variation between models, or are they all pretty good?

Has anyone seen field uniformity issues with this projector, especially with a few hundred hours on the bulb?
sage is offline  
post #4007 of 5082 Old 06-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post

Has anyone seen field uniformity issues with this projector, especially with a few hundred hours on the bulb?

Greetings,

None on mine.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #4008 of 5082 Old 06-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

None on mine.


Regards,

Thanks for the answer. I think I am going to end up with one of these.
sage is offline  
post #4009 of 5082 Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Member
 
noam325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a proud new owner of a JVC RS 20 and I have Just one question regarding ceiling mounts. My ceiling is very low and I want to know which mount would give me the shortest distance that the projector will be able to hang from the ceiling. Anywhere from universal mounts or the Jvc mount.
Thank You!
noam325 is offline  
post #4010 of 5082 Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by noam325 View Post

I'm a proud new owner of a JVC RS 20 and I have Just one question regarding ceiling mounts. My ceiling is very low and I want to know which mount would give me the shortest distance that the projector will be able to hang from the ceiling. Anywhere from universal mounts or the Jvc mount.
Thank You!

I have a Chief mount (see my sig link below for gear and ?? Chief mount model ??) and the ceiling to projector distance is about 5 inches.
There is no tube extension from ceiling -- just directly mounted.

Mike

*EDIT: Chief RPMA Elite mount *
PS - Yes, the ISCO could be a little closer to the projector, but it works.

Mike_WI is offline  
post #4011 of 5082 Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
GlenC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Los Angeles - Whittier, CA
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I have a Chief mount (see my sig link below for gear and ?? Chief mount model ??) and the ceiling to projector distance is about 5 inches.
There is no tube extension from ceiling -- just directly mounted.

Mike

*EDIT: Chief RPMA Elite mount *
PS - Yes, the ISCO could be a little closer to the projector, but it works.


I would agree that the RPM-233 or RPMA-233 (key lock and lever latch) mounted directly to the ceiling w/o a ceiling plate and pipe will be your shortest mounting method. I would personally go with the quick release RPMA. Much easier to mount projector in the close space.

Glen Carter
Home Theater Calibration
www.ISFHT.com
GlenC is offline  
post #4012 of 5082 Old 06-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
DIY Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Randy,

I'm going to email Harmony to see if they can change the direction commands for the top level LENS function from one burst to a hold (repeat) similar to the volume control commands.

UPDATE:

I emailed my issue to Logitech support and they were able to change the direction buttons to repeat and now the lens control works as it should.

Steve
DIY Guy is online now  
post #4013 of 5082 Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Member
 
Randy Ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post

Randy,

I'm going to email Harmony to see if they can change the direction commands for the top level LENS function from one burst to a hold (repeat) similar to the volume control commands.

UPDATE:

I emailed my issue to Logitech support and they were able to change the direction buttons to repeat and now the lens control works as it should.

Steve,

Left you a note on the Remote Forum.

Randy
Randy Ta is offline  
post #4014 of 5082 Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
zuesmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone with this setup RS20 with AVS1-R lens???
having issues with mine
zuesmaximus is offline  
post #4015 of 5082 Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuesmaximus View Post

Anyone with this setup RS20 with AVS1-R lens???
having issues with mine

(I guess I don't, but...) can you clarify what the AVS1-R lens is?

Mike
Mike_WI is offline  
post #4016 of 5082 Old 06-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
zuesmaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

(I guess I don't, but...) can you clarify what the AVS1-R lens is?

Mike

its a Prismasonic HD-5000R in AVS clothing....received it on Monday.
zuesmaximus is offline  
post #4017 of 5082 Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Randy Ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gainesville, Virginia
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY Guy View Post

Randy,

I'm going to email Harmony to see if they can change the direction commands for the top level LENS function from one burst to a hold (repeat) similar to the volume control commands.

UPDATE:

I emailed my issue to Logitech support and they were able to change the direction buttons to repeat and now the lens control works as it should.

Steve,

Are you using the arrows on the remote or did you learn them from the JVC remote? The said that they fixed my timing but no change.
Randy Ta is offline  
post #4018 of 5082 Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
DIY Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Ta View Post

Steve,

Are you using the arrows on the remote or did you learn them from the JVC remote? The said that they fixed my timing but no change.

Hi Randy,

Yes, I used the direction commands from the original JVC profile in the Harmony database. The only learned command was the LENS button.

Steve
DIY Guy is online now  
post #4019 of 5082 Old 06-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Member
 
rigman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Yorkshire England
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuesmaximus View Post

Anyone with this setup RS20 with AVS1-R lens???
having issues with mine

I have set up my HD750 with the FE5000R.

What issues are you having
rigman is offline  
post #4020 of 5082 Old 06-21-2009, 02:13 AM
008
Senior Member
 
008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kent England
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigman View Post

I have set up my HD750 with the FE5000R.

What issues are you having

I have a '750' and the FE5000R but not mated them together yet. I understand the practical benefits of the lense but with the '750's image being so good are there any real world image improvements with the lense that you have noticed, depth etc ?
008 is offline  
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off