Official JVC RS20/HD750 Owners Thread! - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #751 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Here is the uncalibrated out of the box gamut.

Thanks Kris. Was the luminance of the colors correct (or at least much closer) with the uncalibrated out of the box gamut compared to THX mode?
lovingdvd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

The shifted hues of the secondaries would be fixed by a grayscale calibration. White is shifted a little towards blue.

Interesting. Kris did you have a chance to measure the grayscale in THX mode? If so and if Tom's theory is spot on then perhaps you would have spotted errors in the grayscale in this mode? Is the grayscale even tweakable in THX mode or is it locked?
lovingdvd is offline  
post #753 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mark - did you have a chance to measure any CR? I am very curious if the theory that at a given lumen level of X on high lamp with closed iris the CR will be higher than the same lumen level derived from low lamp with a more opened iris? I'm really hoping this turns out not to be the case because I'd much rather run in low lamp so it is near silent.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #754 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
"I am very curious if the theory that at a given lumen level of X on high lamp with closed iris the CR will be higher than the same lumen level derived from low lamp with a more opened iris? I'm really hoping this turns out not to be the case because I'd much rather run in low lamp so it is near silent."

I think you'll be disappointed then.

The majority of CR measurements that I've seen don't show significant changes w/lamp power.

I can't think of any reason to expect CR to change w/lamp brightness other than the shape of the "fireball". This would explain CR degradation with lamp aging, because of electrode erosion.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #755 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"I am very curious if the theory that at a given lumen level of X on high lamp with closed iris the CR will be higher than the same lumen level derived from low lamp with a more opened iris? I'm really hoping this turns out not to be the case because I'd much rather run in low lamp so it is near silent."

I think you'll be disappointed then.

The majority of CR measurements that I've seen don't show significant changes w/lamp power.

I can't think of any reason to expect CR to change w/lamp brightness other than the shape of the "fireball". This would explain CR degradation with lamp aging, because of electrode erosion.

What I'm asking is this... Let's say with high lamp and iris at -10 it yields 500 lumens. Further let's say that with low lamp and iris at -3 it also yields 500 lumens.

One theory presented earlier is that in those two scenarios the CR would actually be higher in the high lamp mode. I'm not sure how this would be possible either, but that was the theory explained to me.

I'm actually hoping the theory does not pan out, because I'd much rather run with the same lumen output in low lamp mode to get the quieter fan. But if the theory turns out, I'll be faced with the dilemma of running in higher lamp mode with more noise but more CR vs no noise but lower CR. Hopefully this explains my question better.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #756 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I know what you're asking; perhaps a more direct answer is that lamp power has minimal effect on CR and iris setting does, so indeed you'll get higher CR w/high lamp and closed down iris.

Lamp brightness doesn't change CR because everything that determines it changes by the same % - brightness, stray light inside the light engine and pj case, scatter within the optics, etc.

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #757 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

I know what you're asking; perhaps a more direct answer is that lamp power has minimal effect on CR and iris setting does, so indeed you'll get higher CR w/high lamp and closed down iris.

Thanks. I'm still getting stuck on the logic above. I assume you are saying that the iris setting has the real impact on CR. I'm with you there. So with this in mind, you are saying that you expect we will find that, for example, at 500 lumens with high lamp mode and iris -10 we will get higher CR than with low lamp mode and iris -2 also yielding 500 lumens. I think this is what you are saying.

Which then if I'm following you correctly you are backing the main theory up that given a choice of X lumens with high lamp and stopped down iris, vs. the same lumens with low lamp and more open iris, one will achieve the higher CR with the high lamp/clamped iris, despite the lumen level being the same in both case. Am I following you correctly? Thanks.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #758 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HoustonHoyaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

What I'm asking is this... Let's say with high lamp and iris at -10 it yields 500 lumens. Further let's say that with low lamp and iris at -3 it also yields 500 lumens.

One theory presented earlier is that in those two scenarios the CR would actually be higher in the high lamp mode. I'm not sure how this would be possible either, but that was the theory explained to me...

It makes sense. Closing the lens iris will yield increased CR and lower brightness. The high lamp will increase brightness.
HoustonHoyaFan is offline  
post #759 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 7,035
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Interesting. Kris did you have a chance to measure the grayscale in THX mode? If so and if Tom's theory is spot on then perhaps you would have spotted errors in the grayscale in this mode? Is the grayscale even tweakable in THX mode or is it locked?
Here is the grayscale (which you can't adjust) and color balance with the THX mode.

 

Grayscale-Balance THX.doc 49.5k . file

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #760 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
RickS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: AB,Canada
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

For me I go directly into the PJ so can you please try that & report back? I will not use the pc input thx.

Anyone else that has one can try from a computer or laptop into the RS20/HD750 and please report if it will accept the signal? Thank You.

Chris,

I have tried quite a few different PC timings tonight. It will sync to 1920x1080 but only at 24 Hertz (interlaced). When I switch to 60 hertz, 50 hertz screen goes blank. This on HDMI 2 direct from a ATI HD 3870 DVI to HDMI adapter. to the HD750 took Denon 5308 out of the middle. I'll keep trying some custom timing with powerstrip. I don't like the slow response for PC stuff @24 hz but the text at native resolution is razor sharp on my 119" screen.


Also: The menu screen of the HD750 does report 1080P24 which is what I use for Bluray play back.

Rick
RickS is offline  
post #761 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member
 
hrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

THX mode is definitely a big improvement but I'll have to wait for more extended viewing before commenting much more. For most people just setting it to THX mode will be fine. Purists will want to get the most out of the CMS though. I can't wait to read your posts on the CMS when you get time to fiddle with it.

One of the downsides of THX mode is that the gamma tweak gregr came up with for the RS2 that gives a 3D-effect is not possible. Can anyone do an A/B between THX mode and the gregr gamma tweak and compare the two in terms of 3D punch?

Here are two of the posts from the RS2 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=246

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=337
hrd is offline  
post #762 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
lovingdvd,

Yes, you've got it.

Kris,

"Here is the grayscale (which you can't adjust) and color balance with the THX mode."

Most calibration stuff is over my head, but do I correctly conclude from the last graph that color accuracy (dE) decreases in essentially direct proportion to IRE level?

Noah
noah katz is offline  
post #763 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bulldogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Clinton,MS
Posts: 6,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

I found lumens at short throw ranged from 500-625 low lamp, and 800-900 high lamp average...right on target with spec. Contrast I have average in the 22000:1-24000:1 no iris, and I found the iris greatly ranged when clamped.

The contrast numbers are those at short or long throw or a range between both?

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
Bulldogger is offline  
post #764 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 08:58 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JimmyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Runco Island CA.
Posts: 4,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Here is the grayscale (which you can't adjust) and color balance with the THX mode.

Now I see why Kris passed the ball to Darin..

Ouch !!!
Doesn't say much for JVC's "automated" THX calibration "experiment" now does it ?
I have high confidence with Kris's abilities, experience and measuring equipment but I will hold final judgment until I see more measurements with other RS20/THX examples.
But as it looks this minute if I purchased the RS20 mainly for it's THX accuracy I would be on the verge of being super pissed.

All other hype with the RS20 continue to look golden for me.
JimmyR is offline  
post #765 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Here is the grayscale (which you can't adjust) and color balance with the THX mode.

I was not expecting that for a pre-calibrated mode...

Can you post the same thing for the default 6500 setting (non-THX mode). I know that is tunable, but hopefully that grayscale tracks closer to D65 for those without calibration equipment.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #766 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 09:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JimmyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Runco Island CA.
Posts: 4,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I was not expecting that for a pre-calibrated mode...

Can you post the same thing for the default 6500 setting (non-THX mode). I know that is tunable, but hopefully that grayscale tracks closer to D65 for those without calibration equipment.

Ric, I think you can pretty much get the non THX idea from Kris' CIE reading in post #722
JimmyR is offline  
post #767 of 5082 Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovingdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

Ric, I think you can pretty much get the non THX idea from Kris' CIE reading in post #722

Just to clarify - I'm looking for the xyY data from the default calibration (non-THX) and that post only shows the CIE chart which does not include Y. Also I'm looking for the default calibration (non-THX) for the grayscale.
lovingdvd is offline  
post #768 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coldmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Waiting in the weeds
Posts: 5,807
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had a good few hours, one on one, with the 750 and will get some more time and more tests run tomorrow.

I just want to say upfront that I think this is a good projector and, considering the price, its a very good projector for the money. In the gammut of projector prices the 750 very clearly is well inside the bottom 5%. Its performance most definitely isn't. I think it certainly provides more bang than your buck has a right to demand, and that's not common.

There are some great points, some good points, some weak points and some bad points. Looking at it holistically its an evolution from the RS2 rather than a revolution.Posts I've read from people whose opinion and knowledge i trust indicate the same. If I post my opinion of a PJ I try to consider the cost as well as the application and target audience. There is no point, in my opinion, judging every machine against the very best as this simply would lead to far too many negative opinions and reviews. My answer as to how good a machine performs will differ (obviously the numbers dont) if the person asking the question wants it compared to similar priced units or if someone was asking to compare it to the best available. I think that's fair.

This has taken a bit longer to post as I have been waiting for feedback from people who I asked to proof read it to make sure I wasn't being unfair. I had no complaints.

Here is a brief outline of my initial impressions. I'll update later if need be


1.Its nice looking unit. Not important to me, but if it doesnt need to be butt ugly, it shouldn't have to be.

2.Contrast...Obviously very high, with blacks looking good in an ideal room. I left the masking OPEN to show the blacks in their worst condition regarding perception and they were still great.Masking closed was sweet. I have more testing to do and will get CR and lumens numbers soon.

3. OOTB Color...Not great OOTB. Quite overblown This is well worth considering as many people simply operate OOTB color. The THX preset, as has been mentioned a number of times before, has a greenish/yellow tone to it. I personally couldn't use it as its pretty obvious. Thats more an observation than a criticism, as its a preset and need not be used. Some peoples expectations of it were understandably high. I had hoped for a reasonably good fall back in lieu of a full calibration.

4. CMS....This was one of the things I was most looking forward to. Sadly, its not the home run I hoped it would be. It wasn't possible to get a color perfect result, which disappointed me. It was a good deal better than OOTB. Much has been said regarding difficulty using the CMS. I didn't find it that bad as I had read Ekki's advice. The fact that its laid out the way it is, with a non standard implementation and the juggling act that's needed, make it a bit of a mess. It seems like either an afterthought or possibly the best that can be achieved with the current architecture. It just doesn't feel properly integrated compared with a normally functioning CMS. Perhaps JVC could look at the architecture on future units, even if it means the internal control needs to appear as an external unit to the rest of the PJ, as external color control seems straightforward.

5.ANSI CR....At 230, it was fairly typical of LCOS units. Having tested the JVC 4k unit and the derivative Meridian 810, they both advertise an ANSI of 300 and delivered 190 and 210 respectively. This has a major effect on the pop and 3 dimensionality of an image. Low ANSI results in a flatter overall image and the RS20 image is typical of a 200 ANSI machine.

6.Sharpness. The lens is apparently an improvement and sharpness may,or may not, be improved over previous units.I didn't have an older RS unit to compare directly. Objectively it looks pretty much the same. The lens performance would seem to be far better than the technology can deliver. If the RS2 was sharp enough for you, there hasn't been any retrograde steps. If you found the image too soft, you will probably still have an issue.

7.Uniformity...A good improvement, but still not the greatest out there. The corners are no longer beaming out, but the issue has not disappeared When I measured CR I took a number of readings and gave the number based on the best black level. If the CR was measured using the worst area of the screen, it would obviously be lower.

8. Corner to Corner focus...I wish more people would report this. I focus one corner pixel and the check the others, especially the one diametrically opposite. I could focus 3 corners fairly well, but not all 4. Thats not at all unusual at this price.

9. Motion blur...Looks the same as before. If it didn't bother you, no problems. If it did, it still will.

10. Halo effect....Looks the same. A bright object on a dark background has have a haze around it and will washout some of the black. This may be somewhat related to the ANSI performance, but it varies in intensity so its obviously not that simple.

11.Image noise....Its still noticeable as with the RS1. This also effects the 4k units so its not just an RS issue.

12.MC....a shade shy of 1 pixel at the edge, around 1/2 pixel across most of the range, perfect at center. I found the correction option to be useful so long as major corrections are not needed.

13.CA....Some CA is apparent on test patterns, but that's normal at this price point (and quite a bit higher too).Its better than previous RS models Its not an issue with normal viewing. Nice

14.RBE...This unit is 100% RBE free. Just thought Id throw that in there to see if anyone was actually still reading this far.

15.Source Compatibility/Handshaking...No issues i could see using....Sat,cable, BD, HDDVD, DVD,PS3,360.Camcorder.....all at the various resolutions and rates. Havent tried HTPC yet, but some are reporting issues. Hopefully they can be addressed by JVC quickly if that is, in fact, the case.

16. Anamorphic compatibility.....This is a simple On/Off preset that works exactly as would be expected with no issues. This is where Id like to make a suggestion that would be a great boon, to this and many other PJs....JVC should implement a full AR control option to allow for other aspect ratios that are in common use like 185 and 240. The fact that an Overscan and Mask option are provided shows that the machine can be controlled in both axes, so why not give us full control. The onboard scaling is certainly up to the job. This option allows for amazing flexibility, and covers all three modes in a single option. My 360 displays some white artifacts on the top 2 pixels, I don't want to have to dump 25 or 50 pixels to remove it. These machines, and their users, are reaching a level of sophistication that this sort of control is more than justified.

17. Scaling...I didn't go overboard here as it been my experience that all good current machines scale well, some better than others. This PJ scales very well.

18. Brightness...As is well reported the unit is brighter than previous units. Some numbers below. I was on the shorter end of the throw, but not minimum. Your lumens could therefore be higher or lower. I will provide a set of numbers for the range. Zoom position has a major effect on brightness as it does with all machines that don't use a pro level constant aperture zoom. It doesn't seem to be a bad performer in that aspect. No worries there.

750= 710lumen@19800
305lumen@42800
Ansi=220

I will also map the effect of lens shift on the output and the PQ when I get time.

Overall this is easily one of the better machines available for under $10k and possibly stretching well into the teens. Is this a major upgrade to an RS1? yes, but not stratospheric. The jump from the RS2 is not major, but it may be worth it to some.

I would most certainly recommend that this PJ be on anyone's shortlist who is looking to spend this sort of money.

Hope this helps and is of interest.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
coldmachine is offline  
post #769 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lawguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You know, when companies advertise things in their sales literature like a CMS and brag about accurate color and these things turn out not to be true, the lawyer in me starts to have weird thoughts . . .

For those interested look at Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

Affable Nitwit
Lawguy is offline  
post #770 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
ilsiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

...
Here is a brief outline of my initial impressions. I'll update later if need be...

Great summary! At the risk of appearing greedy, would you be willing to publish similarly formatted summaries for competing projectors in the same class (roughly less than $15k)? I understand the time and effort it takes, so it's cool if the answer's no.
ilsiu is offline  
post #771 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrlittlejeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Thanks coldmachine. A very good review.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

mrlittlejeans is offline  
post #772 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 11,967
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Fantastic review Coldmachine. It's great to read a report hitting all the points you know we'd be interested in. Thank you very much.

Ok, so I'm adjusting my expectations for the RS20's performance in some regards. I think it's good to have read about it before getting one, in that regard.
R Harkness is offline  
post #773 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Ballentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 5,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes coldmachine. Excellent (thanks for taking the time).
John Ballentine is offline  
post #774 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pmeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks, coldmachine. Very reassuring before I disappear for a week. It sounds like what I'm looking for: an RS2 with colors good enough that I will likely be able to get away without an external VP. No significant degradations from the RS2. Some improvements. Lower price.

I'm glad to see you are hitting in the expected contrast/lumen range.

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
pmeyer is offline  
post #775 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

You know, when companies advertise things in their sales literature like a CMS and brag about accurate color and these things turn out not to be true, the lawyer in me starts to have weird thoughts . . .

For those interested look at Rule 23 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure.

Yeah, just like the companies that are releasing blueray players that on the box says it decodes all these things. Then you get it home and find out that it will be released in a future firmware update!

Until someone puts pressure (aka lawsuit), they will continue to exaggerate specs and functions.

I forgot to mention that I have a new Dennon 4308 ci Purchased in Aug 08 that Dennon wants to charge 100.00 for a new firmware update.

http://www.usa.denon.com/upgrade/

How can they charge people who bought the same machine a few months ago and not the people who buy today?
kutlow is offline  
post #776 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeyer View Post

Thanks, coldmachine. Very reassuring before I disappear for a week. It sounds like what I'm looking for: an RS2 with colors good enough that I will likely be able to get away without an external VP. No significant degradations from the RS2. Some improvements. Lower price.

I'm glad to see you are hitting in the expected contrast/lumen range.

nice upgrade for those with rather large screens.
kutlow is offline  
post #777 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
John Ballentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Posts: 5,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes. I'm very happy that the anticipated contrast lumen range is being met as I just purchased a much larger screen.
John Ballentine is offline  
post #778 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Mike_WI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

I've had a good few hours, one on one, with the 750 and will get some more time and more tests run tomorrow.

I just want to say upfront that I think this is a good projector and, considering the price, its a very good projector for the money. In the gammut of projector prices the 750 very clearly is well inside the bottom 5%. Its performance most definitely isn't. I think it certainly provides more bang than your buck has a right to demand and that's not common.

There are some great points, some good points, some weak points and some bad points. Looking at it holistically its an evolution from the RS2 rather than a revolution.Posts I've read from people whose opinion and knowledge i trust indicate the same. If I post my opinion of a PJ I try to consider the cost as well as the application and target audience. There is no point, in my opinion, judging every machine against the very best as this simply would lead to far too many negative opinions and reviews. My answer as to how good a machine performs will differ (obviously the numbers dont) if the person asking the question wants it compared to similar priced units or if someone was asking to compare it to the best available. I think that's fair.

This has taken a bit longer to post as I have been waiting for feedback from people who I asked to proof read it to make sure I wasn't being unfair. I had no complaints.

Here is a brief outline of my initial impressions. I'll update later if need be


1.Its nice looking unit. Not important to me, but if it doesnt need to be butt ugly, it shouldn't have to be.

2.Contrast...Obviously very high, with blacks looking good in an ideal room. I left the masking OPEN to show the blacks in their worst condition regarding perception and they were still great.Masking closed was sweet. I have more testing to do and will get CR and lumens numbers soon.

3. OOTB Color...Not great OOTB. Quite overblown This is well worth considering as many people simply operate OOTB color. The THX preset, as has been mentioned a number of times before, has a greenish/yellow tone to it. I personally couldn't use it as its pretty obvious. Thats more an observation than a criticism, as its a preset and need not be used. Some peoples expectations of it were understandably high. I had hoped for a reasonably good fall back in lieu of a full calibration.

4. CMS....This was one of the things I was most looking forward to. Sadly, its not the home run I hoped it would be. It wasn't possible to get a color perfect result, which disappointed me. It was a good deal better than OOTB. Much has been said regarding difficulty using the CMS. I didn't find it that bad as I had read Ekki's advice. The fact that its laid out the way it is, with a non standard implementation and the juggling act that's needed, make it a bit of a mess. It seems like either an afterthought or possibly the best that can be achieved with the current architecture. It just doesn't feel properly integrated compared with a normally functioning CMS. Perhaps JVC could look at the architecture on future units, even if it means the internal control needs to appear as an external unit to the rest of the PJ, as external color control seems straightforward.

5.ANSI CR....At 230, it was fairly typical of LCOS units. Having tested the JVC 4k unit and the derivative Meridian 810, they both advertise an ANSI of 300 and delivered 190 and 210 respectively. This has a major effect on the pop and 3 dimensionality of an image. Low ANSI results in a flatter overall image.

6.Sharpness. The lens is apparently an improvement and sharpness may,or may not, be improved over previous units.I didn't have an older RS unit to compare directly. Objectively it looks pretty much the same. The lens performance would seem to be far better than the technology can deliver. If the RS2 was sharp enough for you, there hasn't been any retrograde steps. If you found the image too soft, you will probably still have an issue.

7.Uniformity...A good improvement, but still not the greatest out there. The corners are no longer beaming out. When I measured CR I took a number of readings and gave the number based on the best black level. If the CR was measured using the worst area of the screen, it would obviously be lower.

8. Corner to Corner focus...I wish more people would report this. I focus one corner pixel and the check the others, especially the one diametrically opposite. I could focus 3 corners fairly well, but not all 4. Thats not at all unusual at this price.

9. Motion blur...Looks the same as before. If it didn't bother you, no problems. If it did, it still will.

10. Halo effect....Looks the same. A bright object on a dark background has have a haze around it and will washout some of the black. This may be somewhat related to the ANSI performance, but it varies in intensity so its obviously not that simple.

11.Image noise....Its still noticeable as with the RS1.

12.MC....a shade shy of 1 pixel at the edge, around 1/2 pixel across most of the range, perfect at center. I found the correction option to be useful so long as major corrections are not needed.

13.CA....Some CA is apparent on test patterns, but that's normal at this price point (and quite a bit higher too).Its better than previous RS models Its not an issue with normal viewing. Nice

14.RBE...This unit is 100% RBE free. Just thought Id throw that in there to see if anyone was actually still reading this far.

15.Source Compatibility/Handshaking...No issues i could see using....Sat,cable, BD, HDDVD, DVD,PS3,360.Camcorder.....all at the various resolutions and rates. Havent tried HTPC yet, but some are reporting issues. Hopefully they can be addressed by JVC quickly if that is, in fact, the case.

16. Anamorphic compatibility.....This is a simple On/Off preset that works exactly as would be expected with no issues. This is where Id like to make a suggestion that would be a great boon, to this and many other PJs....JVC should implement a full AR control option to allow for other aspect ratios that are in common use like 185 and 240. The fact that an Overscan and Mask option are provided shows that the machine can be controlled in both axes, so why not give us full control. The onboard scaling is certainly up to the job. This option allows for amazing flexibility, and covers all three modes in a single option. My 360 displays some whitartifacts on the top 2 pixels, I don't want to have to dump 25 or 50 pixels to remove it. These machines, and their users, are reaching a level of sophistication that this sort of control is more than justified.

17. Keystone...I didn't test this on earlier RS units so cant compare.Its anathema to many of us so why bother testing it?....Because its there and some people have no choice. What I will say is that, whilst keystone is one of my pet hates, this unit performs it better than most Ive seen. I could push it further than I thought without it becoming hideous. This also speaks well of the onboard scaling.

18. Scaling...I didn't go overboard here as it been my experience that all good current machines scale well, some better than others. This PJ scales very well.

19. Brightness...As is well reported the unit is brighter than previous units. Some numbers below. I was on the longer end of the throw but not max. Your lumens could therefore be higher or lower. I will provide a set of numbers for the range. Zoom position has a major effect on brightness as it does with all machines that don't use a pro level constant aperture zoom. It doesn't seem to be a bad performer in that aspect. No worries there.

750= 710lumen@19800
305lumen@48800
Ansi=220

I will also map the effect of lens shift on the output and the PQ when I get time.

Overall this is easily one of the better machines available for under $10k and possibly stretching well into the teens. Is this a major upgrade to an RS1? yes, but not stratospheric. The jump from the RS2 is not major, but it may be worth it to some.

I would most certainly recommend that this PJ be on anyone's shortlist who is looking to spend this sort of money.

Hope this helps and is of interest.

Very nice review.
As this is my first projector -- a "starter" projector -- I'm sure anything would be great.
I just ordered an ISCOIII and cineslide to go with it.
Now onto the screen...

Thanks again.

Mike

PS - I concur that it would be great to see a structured comparative review(s) like this for similarly priced and more expensive projectors.
Mike_WI is offline  
post #779 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
WOLVERNOLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DUMFRIES, VA USA
Posts: 2,544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post


I forgot to mention that I have a new Dennon 4308 ci Purchased in Aug 08 that Dennon wants to charge 100.00 for a new firmware update.

How can they charge people who bought the same machine a few months ago and not the people who buy today?

Well Kutlow, that's what you get for purchasing a unit from someone in an alley, out of their trunk. If you had bought a "Denon" from an authorized dealer, you would have gotten a legitimate unit !
WOLVERNOLE is offline  
post #780 of 5082 Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
karrih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

For me I go directly into the PJ so can you please try that & report back? I will not use the pc input thx.

Anyone else that has one can try from a computer or laptop into the RS20/HD750 and please report if it will accept the signal? Thank You.

My Panasonic plasma did not accept 1080p60 via Yamaha AVR until I placed a HDMI splitter so that HTPC HDMI out goes to the Yamaha and directly to the plasma. Then 1080p60 started working via Yamaha and also for HD750 as a bonus. Gotta love HDMI.

I am using Catalyst 8.8 drivers, so there is no native 1080p50 that I could try.
karrih is offline  
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off