AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

I believe the differences are (and please correct me if I am mistaken):

Same distinction applies to the RS20/HD350.
____
Axel

You mean RS20/HD750
RS10/HD350

Everything else is correct. I also believe the HD series is a silver trim as opposed to gold on the RS series.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebeds View Post

Is the rs-10 better than the pioneer elite model?
Thank you for your time.

I think the Pioneer Elite model is just an RS2 or RS1x with a Pioneer label

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #363 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Axel,So basically they are the same unit as far as quality.This is what I thought.
I was curious because on projector central once I saw the 350 model 1000.00$ more than the rs-10.I guess it was probably a mistake.
Last question I am told by everyone that the jvc is definitely the model to buy comparing with mistubishi 7000 or any dlp in the same price range.
Andre.
post #364 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks Adidino,sorry for the other message thanking Alex.
post #365 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

You mean RS20/HD750
RS10/HD350

Everything else is correct. I also believe the HD series is a silver trim as opposed to gold on the RS series.

Yes, thanks for spotting my typo - I have corrected my initial post.

Re: trim;
Do also the black HD have silver trims or is this the housing color the differentiator (white - silver vs. black - gold)?
I have looked at some pictures of black HDs, but not could tell for sure.
____
Axel

post #366 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Yes, thanks for spotting my typo - I have corrected my initial post.

Re: trim;
Do also the black HD have silver trims or is this the housing color the differentiator (white - silver vs. black - gold)?
I have looked at some pictures of black HDs, but not could tell for sure.
____
Axel

I think the trim around the lens is silver and the rest is just black around the body on the 350 as opposed to gold trim around the lens and gold trim around the body of the RS10.

Owner, AudioXtream.
post #367 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebeds View Post

Thanks Axel,So basically they are the same unit as far as quality.This is what I thought.
I was curious because on projector central once I saw the 350 model 1000.00$ more than the rs-10.I guess it was probably a mistake.
Last question I am told by everyone that the jvc is definitely the model to buy comparing with mistubishi 7000 or any dlp in the same price range.
Andre.

RS-10 and Mits 7000 pricing is not the same.

I also looked at the Mits. While a great PJ, I decided against it because I wanted the addl. lumens of the RS10 for my fairly large screen. YMMV.

_____

Axel

post #368 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Has anyone tried to calibrate the gamma setting by adjusting the gamma curve in the gamma customization menu? I am trying to locate information on how to correctly adjust these settings and the manual is very vague.

After calibrating the grey scale and getting the colours tuned in, it seems to have had an adverse affect on gamma (as measured using the Eye One LT colorometer at 10% thru 100% test patterns).

I've posted this question earlier in this thread with no response - should I be starting an RS10 calibration thread?

Thanks.
post #369 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I think the Pioneer Elite model is just an RS2 or RS1x with a Pioneer label

with some "tricks " from Pioneer...
post #370 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMaShan View Post

Has anyone tried to calibrate the gamma setting by adjusting the gamma curve in the gamma customization menu? I am trying to locate information on how to correctly adjust these settings and the manual is very vague.

After calibrating the grey scale and getting the colours tuned in, it seems to have had an adverse affect on gamma (as measured using the Eye One LT colorometer at 10% thru 100% test patterns).

I've posted this question earlier in this thread with no response - should I be starting an RS10 calibration thread?

Thanks.

This is the 3rd time RaMa has asked this question! Would somebody please take the time to help him, I am intersted in his problem
post #371 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks bodeealliejosh.
I may try and start a separate calibration thread similar to the one for the RS20. I'm guessing I could improve the picture further by fixing the gamma but was hoping to get some tips before I start randomly playing with the settings (which I will likely do once I get a few hours to play with the settings again). Looks like there are a number of different settings to adjust in the custom gamma menu. It looks like the points on the gamma curve in the menu correspond to 10 thru 100% so in theory I should be able to drag them up to offset what I'm seeing measured through the color meter. Will be lots of trial and error without a bit of direction. I will post my findings once I do it
Cheers.
post #372 of 2036 Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 PM

RaMaShan,

I think you shuld start the "official calibration thread" and we can post our settings and try to do a team calibration like they did in the RS20 thread.

I'll post mine when I get home.

Scott
post #373 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

RaMaShan,

I think you shuld start the "official calibration thread" and we can post our settings and try to do a team calibration like they did in the RS20 thread.

I'll post mine when I get home.

Scott

What would a team calibration do? There is variance in units, differences in screen color and gain as well as throw distance, zoom and the sources we use are all different in their output.

I started to wonder about this after I posted my settings earlier in the thread.
I dont think projector settings can be universal with all of these differences in set up.
Just by squeezing the right brightness out things get out of whack that dialing it has to be so different between set-ups.
Am I wrong?

Lee

post #374 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

Has anyone tried to calibrate the gamma setting by adjusting the gamma curve in the gamma customization menu?
I've posted this question earlier in this thread with no response - should I be starting an RS10 calibration thread?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodeealliejosh View Post

This is the 3rd time RaMa has asked this question!

Chill killer!!! lol
Use the search function! It can be helpfull.
Here is some gamma help from earlier in the thread. I searched for ya
BUT refer to my post above as I dont know if one size fits all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

Sure...
I have it in Cinema1, Contrast +16, Color -6, Brightness -2.
I did the gamma tweak mentioned earlier (Set gamma to 2.4 the pumped up the 5ire 5 points) and then have my color temp at 7200k. Lens is set at 2.

There is one to try out. It comes from a gamma tweak from the rs2 that was done by Alan Gouger, owner of AVS.

Now my settings are at a throw of 15ft with a panny bd-35 usung DVE on a 10ft wide 1.3gain white screen.

Oh and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksharp4 View Post

Just to double check on your gamma setting. So to move up the ire 5 points did you go into the gamma menu and into the white setting at 5% and move the output from 36 to 41?

Thanks

The answer was yes.

Lee

post #375 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
Newb question - I'm probably going to snag the Denon 3808 to use as a pre/pro and video switcher. I assume I should bypass the video upscaling in the 3808 as the HQV in the RS10 would provide superior video quality?

FYI, I searched on scaling and upconversion in this thread to make sure I wasn't asking a redundant question but the results didn't clear anything up for me.

Thanks for the help.
post #376 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch View Post

Newb question - I'm probably going to snag the Denon 3808 to use as a pre/pro and video switcher. I assume I should bypass the video upscaling in the 3808 as the HQV in the RS10 would provide superior video quality?

That would be my guess as well. You can always try both ways and see which one you like better.
____
Axel

post #377 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisch View Post

FYI, I searched on scaling and upconversion in this thread to make sure I wasn't asking a redundant question but the results didn't clear anything up for me.

Thanks for the help.

From all I have heard the HQV should be a bit superior to the dcdi on the Denon. I don’t believe it will be "night and day".
I would pass through UNLESS you want to see the volume on-screen from the Denon.

PS thanks for searching

I used to be the worst offender of not searching- Always used to post a new thread for any question I had until i was yelled at a few times

Enjoy the PJ.

Lee

post #378 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks W3bbY. Your point is well taken in that you cannot take a set of values and plug them into another unit. Makes complete sense. I already had read and noted the values you referenced from earlier posts. What is missing is the logic behind the adjustments. I'm not really looking for the values. I'm more interested in understanding the logic of how these gamma settings are designed to work and interact. That would significantly reduce the number of hours of trial and error I'll need to go through to correct the gamma.

The statement below does not give the logic behind what this change was doing to the gamma values.

"...go into the gamma menu and into the white setting at 5% and move the output from 36 to 41"

I'm pretty new to these settings. So I'm trying to understand what I should expect to happen to the gamma line (or in my case steep downward curve that I'm trying to straighten into a line) by increasing this value? In this menu, there also seems to be the ability to adjust the line at 10 different inflection points independently of the white setting. Also seem to be able to adjust the Red, Green, Blue values independently rather than just the white.

So lots of variations and the manual gives no explanation as to how a person should expect these to interact. I have read some very informative documentation on this site on greyscale calibration (which actually got me into doing the calibrations in the first place and using the HCFR software). And some other documentation on more general benefits of proper gamma settings. But have not come across documentation that covers gamma calibration specifically - I'll do some more searching though. Looks like, as with everything else, you cannot simply calibrate your greyscale without also calibrating the gamma at the same time. The two clearly seem to interact. Been a fun learning experience so far.

Thanks.
post #379 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

Thanks W3bbY. Your point is well taken in that you cannot take a set of values and plug them into another unit. Makes complete sense. I already had read and noted the values you referenced from earlier posts. What is missing is the logic behind the adjustments. I'm not really looking for the values. I'm more interested in understanding the logic of how these gamma settings are designed to work and interact. That would significantly reduce the number of hours of trial and error I'll need to go through to correct the gamma.

I'm pretty new to these settings. So I'm trying to understand what I should expect to happen to the gamma line (or in my case steep downward curve that I'm trying to straighten into a line) by increasing this value? In this menu, there also seems to be the ability to adjust the line at 10 different inflection points independently of the white setting. Also seem to be able to adjust the Red, Green, Blue values independently rather than just the white.

So lots of variations and the manual gives no explanation as to how a person should expect these to interact. I have read some very informative documentation on this site on greyscale calibration (which actually got me into doing the calibrations in the first place and using the HCFR software). And some other documentation on more general benefits of proper gamma settings. But have not come across documentation that covers gamma calibration specifically - I'll do some more searching though. Looks like, as with everything else, you cannot simply calibrate your greyscale without also calibrating the gamma at the same time. The two clearly seem to interact. Been a fun learning experience so far.

Thanks.

I would assume the best place to go for that is the Display Calibration forum at the bottom of the "display devices" section. You are wanting theory..it’s a bit more than RS10 settings/calibration. When you have learned it all, cmon over to calibrate my rs10!

Good Luck!

ps
Quote:

The statement below does not give the logic behind what this change was doing to the gamma values.

"...go into the gamma menu and into the white setting at 5% and move the output from 36 to 41"

This was a 'supposed' gamma tweak that made the RS2 3d like. To quote the famous philosopher John Michael "Ozzy" Osbourne -"Dont ask me, I dont know".

Lee

post #380 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Liked: 14
Does anybody think using a Dalite High Power screen may be overkill for use with the RS10? I'm thinking of going 110" at medium throw/zoom. I dont want to burn my eyes out tho Anybody else using a HP screen with this unit?

"Now a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it.."
post #381 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM

The reason I thought a "team" calibration would be the same logic as they are using in the RS20 calibration. They worked together to get things closer to true calibration.
That's my reason for thinking this would help.
I'm not saying post your settings and they will work for everybody. It's just a way to work together to get things right.

Scott
post #382 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodeealliejosh View Post

This is the 3rd time RaMa has asked this question! Would somebody please take the time to help him, I am intersted in his problem

Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post

The reason I thought a "team" calibration would be the same logic as they are using in the RS20 calibration. They worked together to get things closer to true calibration.
That's my reason for thinking this would help.
I'm not saying post your settings and they will work for everybody. It's just a way to work together to get things right.

Scott

Cool...what makes things better!! BUT we dont have cms etc...so not much can be done...

Lee

post #383 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

What about the settings in the service menu? Anyone explore those? They may provide more settings for tweaking.

The service menu can probably be invoked by the same RS20 keystrokes on the remote. You never know what RS20 features you might find in there
post #384 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 PM

I am always surprised people are so touchy about sharing their settings. No harm no foul in my book. I actually like to load in a bunch of different settings and just switch back and forth to see what I like.
post #385 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob View Post

What about the settings in the service menu? Anyone explore those? They may provide more settings for tweaking.

The service menu can probably be invoked by the same RS20 keystrokes on the remote. You never know what RS20 features you might find in there

Keystrokes are the same.

There are some addl. test patterns. There is also a sub menu for the aperture settings (1, 2, 3). Maybe this is allows to fine tune them.

I did not see any hidden CMS, though.
____
Axel

post #386 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
"Does anybody think using a Dalite High Power screen may be overkill for use with the RS10?"

Only if it's way too bright for you with the iris fully closed and in low lamp mode.

These will give you higher CR, quietner operation, and longer lamp life, with reserve for bulb dimming.

If it's just marginally too bright in the beginning, it will fix itself in 50 - 100 hr.

Noah
post #387 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM View Post

Does anybody think using a Dalite High Power screen may be overkill for use with the RS10? I'm thinking of going 110" at medium throw/zoom. I dont want to burn my eyes out tho Anybody else using a HP screen with this unit?

I'll let you know in about 4 weeks. I have an RS10 and 133" 16:9 HP cinema contour screen on order. I started thinking a 110" screen as well but decided, what the hell, I'll get an HP and go bigger. We'll see if it was the right choice.
post #388 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksharp4 View Post

i am always surprised people are so touchy about sharing their settings. No harm no foul in my book. I actually like to load in a bunch of different settings and just switch back and forth to see what i like.

+1
post #389 of 2036 Old 01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
)p(

There are already a few settings posted in this thread including mine isf calibrated settings. For me they its a bit interesting to see the unit variation between the various calibrated settings, not for trying them out. The variation is to big to get a proper grey scale.

peter
post #390 of 2036 Old 01-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by )p( View Post

There are already a few settings posted in this thread including mine isf calibrated settings. For me they its a bit interesting to see the unit variation between the various calibrated settings, not for trying them out. The variation is to big to get a proper grey scale.

peter

Funny I loaded yours in to play around as well. I actually liked what I had of yours but was missing your gamma and a few other settings. No big deal though as it is fun to just play around. I get tired of looking at patterns and stuff and much prefer to do it on a football game. Thanks for sharing by the way.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Hd350 Full Hd D Ila Home Theater Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hd350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page