Official JVC RS10/HD350 Owners Thread! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2036 Old 12-10-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I thought by now there would of been many screen shots from several people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2036 Old 12-10-2008, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yes. Very quiet thread.
post #93 of 2036 Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Yes. Very quiet thread.

Im workin on it! I will get some done and up ASAP. I finally got it mounted and set last night.
post #94 of 2036 Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Well if you had to pick from doing photo's, checking all the questions and posting all day or cheesing out for a week watching movies????

I love the forum but when mine comes in........
post #95 of 2036 Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Yes. Very quiet thread.

Pics here both models

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dlp-l...ws-etc-80.html
post #96 of 2036 Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
What's the US MSRP on the RS10? I keep getting different answers on this??
post #97 of 2036 Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

What's the US MSRP on the RS10? I keep getting different answers on this??

MSRP in the US is $4995:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/l...&feature_id=00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I thought by now there would of been many screen shots from several people.

My RS10 arrived yesterday from AVS but work hasn't allowed me time to unbox it yet. Hopefully I can have a few pics up by the end of the weekend.
post #98 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

When time permits can one of you new owners tell me if the 350 has various language settings, from English to Japanese etc. Im trying to buy of these from Jason to replace my HD1. Im hoping its a somewhat of an upgrade. Thanks all.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #99 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Is there any way to adjust the iris presets in the service menu?

I remember this being mentioned in the discussions before they were released that although there are only 3 iris presets in the RS10/HD350 that there was a chance the presets could be adjusted somehow.

/Fredrik
post #100 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Can someone post their calibration numbers.
I'm try to help adjust one of these and wouldn't mind a starting point.
Jason, any help in this?

Scott
post #101 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 01:50 PM

Hello everybody,

Sherardp, the hd350 has different language options. I've got mine in Spanish.

Gorgeous projector, by the way...
post #102 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Screenshots...

Setup is: 115" width 2.37 DIY Screen 1.3 Gain. Projector @ 1.93 throw with Prismasonic HE1500R Lens.
All Movies were Blu ray.
Settings on RS10 were-Gamma 3, Temp 72000, Color -3,cont +13, brightness -6, tint-3, lens 1.
Camera is wide angle...no flash.
Room is not 100% Light Controled BUT it is pretty dark.
I posted all the pics I took, even if there are not the best. All I did was a quick crop/resize.If you look close you can see some fringing on the right due to needing to move the projector back about 6" to make a 1.95 throw for my lens.

Movies: Blade Runner, Happy Feet and Kill Bill 1.

post #103 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Here are some from Kill Bill Bluray..this movie is oversaturated on its own.

post #104 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Nice

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #105 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice is right! Congratuations.
post #106 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Has anyone compared the RS10 to the older RS2?
post #107 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Has anyone compared the RS10 to the older RS2?

Read post #67 (its my opinion- so who knows!?)
post #108 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

When time permits can one of you new owners tell me if the 350 has various language settings, from English to Japanese etc. Im trying to buy of these from Jason to replace my HD1. Im hoping its a somewhat of an upgrade. Thanks all.

Available options: Japanese, English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Portugese, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Russian, Chinese.
post #109 of 2036 Old 12-11-2008, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

Here are some from Kill Bill Bluray..this movie is oversaturated on its own.

Don't get me wrong, but I have the feeling the blacks are crushed (do you have the HDMI-levels set correctly?).

Then again, screenshots via the internet are just like comparing loudspeakers via the phone.

Don't get me wrong either, the HD350 is an excellent machine.

Regards
Christoph
Contact via Public Profile
post #110 of 2036 Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

These links may help i have a HD-350 120 diag Greywolk II screen and i am ecstatic. Try those settings, them pics are muted lots more detail in live pics my camera not upto the task.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/dlp-l...-part-2-a.html SCROLL DOWN PICS + SETTINGS

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/JVC-...or-Review.html COLOR SETTINGS
post #111 of 2036 Old 12-12-2008, 02:14 AM

Picked mine up from UPS last night. A few pitiful photos before I get some sleep. Watched Beowolf on DVD since I do not have my Panasonic DMP-BD55 Bluray player until the 18th.

Context: I have owned only an early Runco DLP and my precious JVC G-15 (Phelps-calibrated) but have viewed a wide assortment of projectors and RPTV's based upon DLP, LCD and DILA wannabes.

My bias: I want film-like, not video-like esthetic presentation.

Low visual fatigue = immersion for me, so the dithering of DLP (still required even in 3 chippers) not to mention RBE in single chippers rules out DLP for me. The SDE (or optical-smearing-to-hide-it tricks) in LCD made that technology less compelling than DILA.

OK, so fresh from Jason's quality evaluation process (Thank you Jason!), I set up a quick temporary stand, and quickly centered the projector, set zoom and focus, set Gamma to 2.4, iris to 2 (only three positions 1,2,3), color to Natural with brightness - 3 and contrast + 3, then reset the Lumagen Vision HDP for HDMI 1920x1080P @60 all in about 25 minutes.

Then I watched Beowolf.......

OK, so I have jumped from 630:1 @1100 calibrated lumens (new lamp) to ~18000:1 @ 980 lumens (6500 but surely not yet near the calibration standard that W Phelps set on the G15) and I have had the G15 for almost 8 years.

This machine is truly an all around technological gem! Its looks are very clean and radiate the pride of its engineers. Its flexible feature set is a tweaker's /installers dream. The state of the art, especially for around $4000, really has progressed in dramatic fashion.

Remember the early days, when DLP's main claim to superiority over the other two main technologies was on/off contrast? Funny how once that early advantage was eclipsed by JVC, the new must-have became ANSI-contrast, because DLP holds the lead there?

Whatever, I see vast room for fine tuning the gamut, gray scale and gamma with this projector, allowing the picture to become a work of art instead of a technological statement.

I am very pleased that I made the move from one of the first affordable projectors that allowed HD vertical resolution (using an anamorphic lens) 10 years ago, to this little brother to the best of class/price range projector.

As a technologist, I am falling in love with this brilliant piece of kit!

The only thing I envy in the RS20 is the larger number of manual iris steps.
I will go to a Lumagen Radiance if I cannot get the gamut close enough.

No offense to RS20 lovers but I like the trade off of contrast for lumens, even with only 3 iris steps to play with. I can get back some contrast by sacrificing some lumens or open it up for the occasional sporting event in ambient light conditions.

As an early adopter, it is hard to believe what JVC has delivered at the RS10's price point just a little over a decade after it introduced its built-like-a-tank business projectors, and for a list price that is almost a fourth of the g15's list price, and in inflated dollars!

What a time for lovers of fine engineering and technological art. I may not make it another 8 years with this unit but I can avoid the merry-go-round of upgrade-itis for at least 3 years with this sweet, unassuming performer.

Oh and one more thing: this thing is very sharp (not the spurious sharpness of mirror edges but revealing exactly what the DILA panel is doing).
Plenty sharp enough to resolve 1920x1080 pixels.

Only when your girlfriend (or your relationship with her) is missing that synergistic something must you console yourself with her superiority in selected features, mere pieces of the missing whole.

It is the elusive, holistic, un-definable rightness when you are in a relationship that exceeds your expectations, that trumps all the component analytical pieces that are part of what we seek, in immersion into a shared soul space or immersion into an esthetic experience, mediated by technology made art.

I love my RS10!

(lewd innuendos high-mindedly ignored!) 8=>
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

=>><<=robobob
post #112 of 2036 Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Advanced Member

It is the elusive, holistic, un-definable rightness when you are in a relationship that exceeds your expectations, that trumps all the component analytical pieces that are part of what we seek, in immersion into a shared soul space or immersion into an esthetic experience, mediated by technology made art.

I love my RS10!
----------------------------------------------------------

Try not to steam up your lens
post #113 of 2036 Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clehner View Post

Don't get me wrong, but I have the feeling the blacks are crushed (do you have the HDMI-levels set correctly?).

Then again, screenshots via the internet are just like comparing loudspeakers via the phone.

Don't get me wrong either, the HD350 is an excellent machine.

I didnt notice a crush when watching. I think it might just be the photo's. I will re-check it and report back tonight.
post #114 of 2036 Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM

I just received and installed my calibrated RS10 from Jason (please make sure you have someone calibrate yours) and I hope this post saves some people some time.

I am coming from a Samsung SA710AE, which I actually loved, but had to replace it because it kept failing. The 710 was known for it's color accuracy and I never had to mess with the coloring because everything just looked "right" from day one. Who cares you might ask? Well, when I first read reviews that the RS10 didn't have the same level of color control as RS20 I didn't really care much because I don't consider myself a real picky person, as long as the image looks great I am happy. Well, let me tell you I learned really fast how important correct colors can be. I tried some of the default settings on the RS10 and compared to the Samsung it looked washed out, yellows were significantly pushed and it just didn't look natural and it was too bright. Using Jason's calibrated settings it looked pretty darn good, but I needed to fine tune the brightness a bit for my lighting and adjusted a couple of other settings as well, but just to taste, but it took me a good hour or two to get it adjusted properly for my room lighting.

The reason I am posting this is to encourage anyone who is getting an RS10 to expect that if you don't get it calibrated, you are likely to get results that are far from what the projector is capable of doing. Compared to the Samsung DLP, I can say that the black levels are definitely better, contrast is better and the colors "pop"...but almost a little too much. I am probably going to have to just get used to it. The yellows can still push a little too much in certain scenes, but it is not all the time.

As far as ability to fine tune the settings though, although I am sure the RS20 has more options, the RS10 has quite a few to keep you busy for awhile and I felt it allowed you to fine tune it pretty darn well. While the RS20 would probably be better, I think the RS10 should make all but the most picky of people out there quite happy.

Another thing I noticed from my old projector to this one is the level of detail of things...I just notice more things than I did before.

It is also VERY quiet and looks sharp...and luckily it isn't something you have to handle very often because the gloss black finish shows fingerprints like there is no tomorrow and is probably very easily scratched.

So, in conclusion:
1. Color does matter, if it is off more than just a little bit you WILL notice, so pay the extra money to have either someone calibrate it in your home or have it done when you order it from avscience, they will do a full calibration for $250 and send you a detailed report of everything they did.

2. I was VERY happy with the information and service I got from AVScience. They shipped me the wrong unit first, but found the problem, alerted me to it and overnighted me the correct unit. The point is that good customer service really shines when something goes wrong, and they stepped up.

3. Expect to spend a little bit of time tweaking the image to the way you like it, even if someone does calibrate it for you. Because the contrast ratio is so good, minor tweaks really make a difference in what is tasteful. If I had not spent the time, I think I would have concluded my 710 was actually better overall because the colors were so much "truer".

4. Play with the IRIS settings in different lighting conditions, it makes a big difference. If calibrated, avscience will put the settings in user1....I found it very helpful to copy those to user2, tweak user2 and then bounce back and forth between the two to see the subtle differences.

5. Higher brightness settings really wash out the color and destroy the black levels, so make sure to test turning it down lower.

6. The remote feels a little cheapy, but the buttons are good because you can control most of the settings with one button click and not have to dig through menus when you wan to fine tune it.

7. The better contrast is really great, but it does take away a "little" bit of the theater feel because the contrast is different than you would find in a theater and the colors pop more than most theaters I have been in. Not a bad thing for sure, but just to be aware.

All in all I really like it, but if someone has a trick for tuning down the yellow a little bit that would be great.
post #115 of 2036 Old 12-13-2008, 01:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
"Higher brightness settings really wash out the color and destroy the black levels, so make sure to test turning it down lower."

Do you mean the pj's (electronic) Brightness control, or iris setting?

If the former, it's expected, as with any pj, that having it set too high will wash out the image.

Re the colors popping too much and the too strong yellow, have you tried just turning down the Color control?

Noah
post #116 of 2036 Old 12-13-2008, 06:27 AM

Yes, I did mean the brightness control. THe only reason I mentioned it is that my projector came calibrated, and while I am sure it is technically calibrated correctly, just letting others know that if someone calibrates theirs, this is a setting that you might want to adjust down further. Also, thanks for the tip on color, I should have thought of that!
post #117 of 2036 Old 12-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbyd View Post

yes, i did mean the brightness control. The only reason i mentioned it is that my projector came calibrated, and while i am sure it is technically calibrated correctly, just letting others know that if someone calibrates theirs, this is a setting that you might want to adjust down further. Also, thanks for the tip on color, i should have thought of that!

My HD-350 color improved with these settings. How do they compare to yours? Gamma 2.4 high lamp.

Gain red -5
gain green - 43
gain blue -39

offset red -5
offset green -6
offset blue -5
post #118 of 2036 Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post

My HD-350 color improved with these settings. How do they compare to yours? Gamma 2.4 high lamp.

Gain red -5
gain green - 43
gain blue -39

offset red -5
offset green -6
offset blue -5

Careful with these gain and offset controls. They are grayscale controls, not gamut controls. I would imagine that these settings have screwed up your greyscale, which is probably very close to accurate out of the box.

If you want to play with something, I would try adjusting the color control down a bit.

Affable Nitwit
post #119 of 2036 Old 12-13-2008, 08:51 AM

Bowlbyd,
Nice review. I am pleased with my RS10 but I am still working on the settings. Can you share the color settings have you settled on at this point?
post #120 of 2036 Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone with a RS10 tried it out with a HTPC? I'm looking to buy a RS20 but there are so few users with it, I'll assume the firmware / setup for HTPC is the same as the RS10.

Specifically looking to see if there are any problems with resolution or color banding/levels (PC level vs video level). I believe HTPC use with the older JVCs was fine, however the new ones have different firmware. Looking up the HD750 manual it looks like you can set the JVC to 1:1 pixel mapping for PC input which should be OK however the manual does not list a PC compatible resolution of 1080x1920 for PC input, only 1200x1920, so this may still be an issue.

Not sure about the levels & color banding, it may be a problem with conversions between the 2 levels, especially as some projectors / sources have problems with incorrect use of the EDID data.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Hd350 Full Hd D Ila Home Theater Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page