post #1231 of 2036 Old 09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ati. View Post

Hello,,,the geek squad is coming back to re-caliberate my HD350.

I was wondering,,,What HDMI control should the caliberation be done under,,Auto or enhanced?

Also, the service menu does not need to be accessed correct?

Geek Squad as in Best Buy? That's a serious mistake...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 2036 Old 09-08-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Geek Squad as in Best Buy? That's a serious mistake...

They are ISF certified!
post #1233 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfrick View Post

Hi,

4. How much could the RS10 benefit from a video processor such as Anchor Bay/DVDO Edge in terms of noise reduction and/or DVD/HDTV sharpness?

I know you're asking about noise reduction and/or DVD/HDTV sharpness. But for me, the most benefit you can get from a VP for the RS10 is color correction. The RS10's colors are still out of gamut (like my RS1) and Lumagen VP's are the only ones I know of that get them back into line (especially the green). I have a Vision HDP I paid about $850 for new. They no longer make that one but perhaps you can find a used one. They do sell the HDQ still, MSRP $1999. But these two work on the primaries only and move the secondaries around as a result. Even though the adjustments are a compromise between primary and secondary accuracy the results are surprisingly good, completely adequate for my tastes and a BIG relief from those neon greens of the RS series.

If you want perfection, go with the Lumagen's Radiance series as they provide a true 3D CMS system. But they cost a lot more.
post #1234 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM

Hello fellow RS-10 owners.

I am trying to figure out what screen and size I should get to match up well with this projector, but I am getting Conflicting info from sellers of SI (black diamond II) and Stewart Firehark G3.

I would prefer a 120" screen, but someone told be that the RS-10 would not be as good as putting it on a 110".

Does this sound right ?

Maybe you guys can tell me what screens youuse, and the size of the screen?
Maybe throw distance and seating distance would also help me make that ULTIMATE decision....

your input would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Andrew
post #1235 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewturk1970 View Post

I am trying to figure out what screen and size I should get to match up well with this projector, but I am getting Conflicting info from sellers of SI (black diamond II) and Stewart Firehark G3.

I would prefer a 120" screen, but someone told be that the RS-10 would not be as good as putting it on a 110".

Does this sound right ?

Maybe you guys can tell me what screens youuse, and the size of the screen?
Maybe throw distance and seating distance would also help me make that ULTIMATE decision....

your input would be much appreciated!

thanks!

Andrew

You've GOT to know your seating distance to make a decision. Are you talking 120" diagonal or width? I'm sure the RS10 would be fine on either as long as it's 1.0 gain or better. I have an RS1 on a 120" wide 1.1 gain SMX AT screen and it does fine. The RS10 is substantially brighter.
post #1236 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 09:15 AM

Yes of course....

Seating distance is 11ft
projector distance is 14ft
screen (will be hopefully) 120" diag.

trying to figure out if this is cool for the RS-10 (performace and picture quality), AND if the screen I choose will be the best choice also... due to some ambient light from room lighting...all controllable by dimmers.

The Black Diamond looks like a cool idea though, as it doesnt matter if there is room light...
post #1237 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes of course....

Seating distance is 11ft
projector distance is 14ft
screen (will be hopefully) 120" diag.

trying to figure out if this is cool for the RS-10 (performace and picture quality), AND if the screen I choose will be the best choice also... due to some ambient light from room lighting...all controllable by dimmers.

The Black Diamond looks like a cool idea though, as it doesnt matter if there is room light...

The RS10 has the lumens to drive any screen at that size. You have a lot of options. 1.25sw is a good conservative seating distance for 1080p viewing. You could go a little bigger if you really wanted to. My first row is 1sw and it works well for 2.35 movies, though 16:9 is a little overwhelming.
post #1238 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ati. View Post

Hello,,,the geek squad is coming back to re-caliberate my HD350.

I was wondering,,,What HDMI control should the caliberation be done under,,Auto or enhanced?

Also, the service menu does not need to be accessed correct?

When I calibrated my HD350 I accessed the service menu, it's no biggie: You don't fiddle with anything you don't understand, and they should understand. It is needed so that the 6500K preset can be adjusted (or rather the high RGB settings IIRC). Without accessing the SM the 6500K preset only allows the low end RGB to be adjusted (greyed out). It might be possible to access the high and low RGB settings on other colour temp options, but I can't remember (I think it makes it more difficult as they are further away from D65 to start with).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #1239 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

The RS10 has the lumens to drive any screen at that size. You have a lot of options. 1.25sw is a good conservative seating distance for 1080p viewing. You could go a little bigger if you really wanted to. My first row is 1sw and it works well for 2.35 movies, though 16:9 is a little overwhelming.

Hi, thanks for the info.
What screen brand and gain are you using ?
post #1240 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi, thanks for the info.
What screen brand and gain are you using ?

I'm using the "early" SMX acoustically transparent screen; 120" wide 16:9. This material was available for DIY's a few years ago. Gain is 1.1 and it works great with my RS1. Now you have to buy a full screen system to get that material, but it's top rated among AT screens, especially with their newer material. No audio EQ is required.

I really like hidden speakers, sound coming from the screen, no compromise center speaker placement (doesn't have to be mounted high or low) and the ability to use identical L,C, and R speakers. It also removes the large audio reflecting surface from the front of your theater. You can treat the wall behind the screen with sound absorption to good effect.You easily have the lumens to do this with your proposed screen size.
post #1241 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

I really like hidden speakers, sound coming from the screen, no compromise center speaker placement (doesn't have to be mounted high or low) and the ability to use identical L,C, and R speakers. It also removes the large audio reflecting surface from the front of your theater. You can treat the wall behind the screen with sound absorption to good effect.You easily have the lumens to do this with your proposed screen size.

I also like the idea of speakers behind the screen. Unfortunately I didn't have the depth to do a good version of it and there were a number of other factors involved in my not going the AT screen route.

I've sometimes wondered though about how well it would have worked using a decent in-wall speaker just for the center channel, behind an AT screen, with the L/R speakers on stands. (Another problem would be timbre-matching the particular L/R speakers I use, which aren't made anymore).

Have you heard of anyone doing this?
post #1242 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I know you're asking about noise reduction and/or DVD/HDTV sharpness. But for me, the most benefit you can get from a VP for the RS10 is color correction. The RS10's colors are still out of gamut (like my RS1) and Lumagen VP's are the only ones I know of that get them back into line (especially the green). I have a Vision HDP I paid about $850 for new. They no longer make that one but perhaps you can find a used one. They do sell the HDQ still, MSRP $1999. But these two work on the primaries only and move the secondaries around as a result. Even though the adjustments are a compromise between primary and secondary accuracy the results are surprisingly good, completely adequate for my tastes and a BIG relief from those neon greens of the RS series.

If you want perfection, go with the Lumagen's Radiance series as they provide a true 3D CMS system. But they cost a lot more.

So does the HDP move the secondaries around because it cannot independently adjust primary color saturation?

Thanks,

Warren
post #1243 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So does the HDP move the secondaries around because it cannot independently adjust primary color saturation?

Thanks,

Warren

I think it can adjust primary saturation independently. You'd have to ask someone who understands CMS a little more than I do. But the secondary between primaries A and B get pulled toward B when you add a little A to B. The Radiance series allows you to pull the secondary back in line.

There are 3 settings per primary (R,G,B), one being the primary color itself. I think that is that color's saturation. But I'm not sure.
post #1244 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

I checked last night and my HD350 definately closes the lens cover when put into 'hide mode'.

Well, the RS10 is different then.

Quote:

2. DVD images seem very soft - I am using 1080p HDMI output from a Panasonic BD-30 Bluray player.

I'm very satisfied with the DVD image. I am using 1080p HDMI output from a Panasonic BD-80 Blu-ray player. DVDs are always softer than BDs do to their limited resolution.

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken
post #1245 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I also like the idea of speakers behind the screen. Unfortunately I didn't have the depth to do a good version of it and there were a number of other factors involved in my not going the AT screen route.

I've sometimes wondered though about how well it would have worked using a decent in-wall speaker just for the center channel, behind an AT screen, with the L/R speakers on stands. (Another problem would be timbre-matching the particular L/R speakers I use, which aren't made anymore).

Have you heard of anyone doing this?

Some do use the AT screen only for the center channel. Some want their pride and joy speakers on display. Some want a wider sound stage. You'd still have all the advantages of center channel placement even though the identical LCR advantage is no longer possible.

Since you're considering in-wall speaker placement, would it be possible to build a speaker sized niche into the wall? With studs and drywall thickness you'd gain another 4" behind the screen. Is that enough to fit your current center speaker?
post #1246 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Hobbes View Post

Well, the RS10 is different then.

Something of a 'hidden' difference then. Add that to the lack of 12 volt trigger on the HD350 (IIRC the RS10 has one?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Hobbes View Post

I'm very satisfied with the DVD image. I am using 1080p HDMI output from a Panasonic BD-80 Blu-ray player. DVDs are always softer than BDs do to their limited resolution.

This is not using the HD350/RS10 to do the upscaling, so not really a comment on the upscaling abilities of the PJ, although what the PJ does with this upscaled image is still impressive (black levels and general contrast specifically): I use a Lumagen HDQ and it does a very good job of upscaling DVDs from (PAL) 576i to 1080/50p (noticably better than my BDP-S350 doing the upscaling): I watched a few DVDs this weekend with some visitors and they were totally blown away with my setup, though they did notice that BluRays were 'clearer'. I try not to watch a DVD straight after a BluRay, to avoid the comparison. If a film is any good I soon get drawn into it regardless of source.

post #1247 of 2036 Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

Some do use the AT screen only for the center channel. Some want their pride and joy speakers on display. Some want a wider sound stage. You'd still have all the advantages of center channel placement even though the identical LCR advantage is no longer possible.

Since you're considering in-wall speaker placement, would it be possible to build a speaker sized niche into the wall? With studs and drywall thickness you'd gain another 4" behind the screen. Is that enough to fit your current center speaker?

No way to fit my giant center speaker behind a wall.

The problem is that it's the center channel made to match for my beloved L/R speakers (which aren't made anymore). But it's huge.

At this point though I've already bought and just put up my Stewart ST-130 material which cost an arm and a leg. I'm not about to switch to an AT screen, at least at this point, but I'm curious as to future options.
post #1248 of 2036 Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Does this sound right ?

I am projecting an RS10 onto a 123" diagonal (107" wide) Stewart Grayhawk (0.8 gain) and it has no problem producing enough brightness for the image to 'pop' even with the negative gain screen.

Our primary seating is 1.35 SW and 1080P looks fantabulous!
post #1249 of 2036 Old 09-10-2009, 04:26 AM

thanks for the reply
post #1250 of 2036 Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

Andrew

Good morning, I ordered a Vutec silver screen 16:9 120" screen last night. Should be here next week. I am shooting a primer white wall now till it gets here.
http://www.vutec.com/Products/Vutec_...ens/SilverStar

Life is enjoyable with good quality
post #1251 of 2036 Old 09-10-2009, 12:32 PM

I have a 123" Stewart Firehawk Screen in a light controled room.
The RS10 is ceiling mounted about 13 away. I use the calibration settings found in the review at Projector Reviews web site.
Room lights are dimmed to a fairly low level and set so they do not splash light on the screen.
The picture is so bright that I usually run the project in low lamp mode.
post #1252 of 2036 Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

This is not using the HD350/RS10 to do the upscaling, so not really a comment on the upscaling abilities of the PJ

Correct. The default settings on the Panasonic BD-80 are scaling up DVDs to 1080i. I never changed that because the BD-80 is said to do a very good upscaling. Letting the RS10 do the work wouldn't change the picture quality I guess.

Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken
post #1253 of 2036 Old 09-11-2009, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't bother with upscaling tonight and fed my HD350 with a couple high def BluRays, I also put every piece of black cloth and velvet in my living room to cover the floor and surounding areas (plus my Bat Tent)...the picture was sublime. I slightly opened the iris (from 14 to 11) to see if I'd miss the deeper blacks that I'd trade for a bit more 'punch'......I didn't. If I'd seen something this good two years ago (when I bought my first PJ an AE1000) I wouldn't have believed my eyes.

I only need to work out how to encase my living room in black velvet without the OH noticing rather than worry about saving for a newer model.

post #1254 of 2036 Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry if this has been asked. Can any owners tell me how much cable (slack) they needed from the ceiling to the projector to mount?
post #1255 of 2036 Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 202
[quote=Kelvin1965S;

I only need to work out how to encase my living room in black velvet without the OH noticing rather than worry about saving for a newer model. [/QUOTE]

I finally got around to making my ceiling led rope lights be able to turn all the way off. Before, even when I turned off the switch there was enough current bleed to light the rope a bit so my ceiling was never truly black. I think I picked up 5% ansi contrast just with that.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1256 of 2036 Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

I thought I was getting a 120diag. vuetec silverstar and a brightwhite showed up. How much of an issue will I have here? Return it for the silver? My room is pretty light controlled and will be getting the only light source 100% under control in a couple of weeks for 100% light control.

Keep or return? will I be disappointed?

post #1257 of 2036 Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Mark View Post

I thought I was getting a 120diag. vuetec silverstar and a brightwhite showed up. How much of an issue will I have here? Return it for the silver? My room is pretty light controlled and will be getting the only light source 100% under control in a couple of weeks for 100% light control.

From what I've gathered you had a bigger chance of being disappointed with the Silverstar. What is the gain of the Brightwhite? If it's 1.0 or over you should be fine bright-wise.

EDIT: Regardless, it is disturbing they didn't send you what you ordered with such a big item!
post #1258 of 2036 Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

I thought there was a big price difference too?

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #1259 of 2036 Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

From what I know it's rated at 1.3. The price is around $900 less delivered.

post #1260 of 2036 Old 09-17-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I know it's rated at 1.3. The price is around $900 less delivered.

Any JVC from the RS1 on could drive that screen in a light controlled environment. I've heard of "sparklie" complaints with the Silverstar, so maybe they did you a favor. I've never seen either screen, though.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Hd350 Full Hd D Ila Home Theater Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page