Official JVC RS10/HD350 Owners Thread! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 2036 Old 12-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Member
 
bowlbyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, this is round 2 of my review and I have found out some VERY important things that I hope will help others. I was a bit frustrated with my RS10 when I first got it because it seemed I had to tweak settings a bit too much depending on what I was watching and feel that once a projector is "set", it should accurately portray what the intent of the image was meant to be, whether it be a movie, T.V. show etc. and I was finding myself tweaking things WAY to much depending on what I was watching. So, just when I was getting ready to pack it up, I discovered my PS3 was only transmitting 1080i to the projector which started me on an investigation that saved me and my RS10 and turned it from an "ok" projector to a fantastic one.

As it turns out, I could force my PS3 to use 1080P, but then it would pixelate really badly. Long story short, it turns out my 25' HDMI cable was not up to the latest HDMI 1.3 specs. I bought a new cable, plugged it directly into my PS3 (vs. through my receiver) and WOW...what an incredible difference this made, in everything. Clarity of the picture, color, shadow detail...I mean everything looks 10x better. Next step was to play my normal DVD's through the PS3 instead of the upconverting DVD player I have and another steller difference. Why...well by going through the PS3, the color space was 12bit instead of 8 and the PS3 upconverts content to 1080P/60 instead of 1080i and yes it makes a huge difference...so if any of you are using a regular DVD upconvert player with this thing...ditch it. Also, if you are using a blu ray player other than the PS3, see what colors you are getting across when your player upconverts, the PS3 will upconvert to 12bits while my regular DVD player came across as 8 bits and 1080i. The main reason I used my old DVD player was because it has IR that works nicely with my universal remote.

The other great discovery I found was that by using a calibration DVD of my own, I was able to fine tune the settings and it turns out that pretty much the default settings other than a contrast setting of +7 and a color setting of -1 is pretty much perfect for all my content. The only thing I have to have for another preset is when I am watching Dish T.V., I have to bump the brightness down to -5, but that is the only thing. I highly recommend against trying to get a certain "effect" like cinema or the like because what may look good on one movie will not look so good on another...watch it the way it was intended to be watched by properly calibrating it to begin with and let it be.

Please check your info button and make sure it is coming through the way you think it is, if it is coming through as a 1080i source, I found it doesn't handle the 3:2 pulldown that incredibly well and got better results setting my Dish receiver to 720P instead (removed the jaggies that would occur from time to time). Also, check how many colors are coming through, 12 bit is far superior in shadow detail and overall quality than 8 bit is.

Get a movie that is 1080P/24, like the new Batman movie, or Blade runner blue ray and be prepared to be absolutely blown away. Also, I would recommend getting your own calibration DVD as it helps you fine tune tint, color and contrast settings. I also made the mistake of originally setting my contrast too high and brightness to low and it crushed all the shadow details...if you use a calibration DVD, it will help you set contrast just right.

Another trick I found that was very helpful in making sure it was calibrated right was to bring up a calibration image I created that has a gray scale, color gamut squares and pictures of faces so you can verify that skin tones are coming through correctly. It was just a .jpg I displayed through the PS3 and it helps you fine tune which gamma, temperature, etc. to use. Which the defaults by the way turned out to be pretty much the best which is comforting to me...I didn't understand why when you pay 4K for a projector that it should be so far off that someone needs to seriously tweak it to get it to look "right"...so minor adjustments only were needed. I just use the 6500K setting and as stated earlier modified contrast, color and brightness slightly, tint ended up being spot on at 0...but again, using your own calibration DVD these will help you get it just right.

Also, for those of you considering an RS20, I found the flesh tones and such to be just fine...what is different about the JVC's is that they tend to over saturate the colors a little bit and it is a byproduct of the technology they are using...I don't think you can make that go away with the RS20 anyway...but I could be wrong...but bottom line this projector rocks....if you have the right cables!
bowlbyd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbyd View Post

...As it turns out, I could force my PS3 to use 1080P, but then it would pixelate really badly. Long story short, it turns out my 25' HDMI cable was not up to the latest HDMI 1.3 specs....

Actually you probably had a bad cable since 1.3 has nothing to do with the video signal being transmitted to the projector.
William is offline  
post #153 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Member
 
RaMaShan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ceiling mounted the RS10. Powered on ok. Changed the installation type to Ceiling Mount. Used the horizontal lense shift and that worked fine (projector is pretty much center to the screen so minimal horizontal was needed). However, the vertical shift does not seem to function at all. I can occasionally hear a quiet clicking sound when I try to engage the vertical shift - as if the gears are trying to engage but are jammed.

In terms of screw length for mounting, the manual indicates a max length of 23mm. I used 20mm plus two thin washers so actual length below the surface of the case would be more like 19mm. I recall hearing issues with using screws that were too long but mine appear to be within the correct parameters.

Any chance there is a shipping mode that I need to shut off?

Anyone familiar with the JVC process of dealing with out of the box defects?

Really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that people might have.
Thank you.
RaMaShan is offline  
post #154 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Axel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Metro Detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 4,682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMaShan View Post

Ceiling mounted the RS10. Powered on ok. Changed the installation type to Ceiling Mount. Used the horizontal lense shift and that worked fine (projector is pretty much center to the screen so minimal horizontal was needed). However, the vertical shift does not seem to function at all. I can occasionally hear a quiet clicking sound when I try to engage the vertical shift - as if the gears are trying to engage but are jammed.

In terms of screw length for mounting, the manual indicates a max length of 23mm. I used 20mm plus two thin washers so actual length below the surface of the case would be more like 19mm. I recall hearing issues with using screws that were too long but mine appear to be within the correct parameters.

Any chance there is a shipping mode that I need to shut off?

Anyone familiar with the JVC process of dealing with out of the box defects?

Really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that people might have.
Thank you.

Wow, it seems like another unit with broken vertical lens shift. I have seen a few posts over at the AV forum with the same issue. Also my dealer when he did the QC for my first unit ran into the same issue. He ended up getting a replacement unit from JVC. I would let your dealer handle the exchange. My dealer has been extremely well to work with (Thanks Russell!). He also seems to be well connected to the JVC folks.
____
Axel

Axel is offline  
post #155 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 167
bowlbyd,

It might be interesting to try your DVD player but with 480 output, as the RS10 upconverting is no doubt better.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #156 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Zip3kx07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
bowlbyd,

Nice review update, thanks for posting.

If you still keep finding yourself adjusting settings for each component you may want to consider getting a DVDO Edge. The Edge will let you calibrate and save your settings for each input or source, so your DVD player, PS3, and cable box can all be individually calibrated to the RS10. The Edge will also convert all signals to 1080P 60.
Zip3kx07 is offline  
post #157 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Member
 
RaMaShan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Wow, it seems like another unit with broken vertical lens shift. I have seen a few posts over at the AV forum with the same issue. Also my dealer when he did the QC for my first unit ran into the same issue. He ended up getting a replacement unit from JVC. I would let your dealer handle the exchange. My dealer has been extremely well to work with (Thanks Russell!). He also seems to be well connected to the JVC folks.
____
Axel

Thanks Axel. Maybe I'll get lucky and they can air ship a replacement before Christmas. Quite dissapointing to get it up on the ceiling and find the lense shift is broken. Hopefully the replacement process will be smooth. I'm hoping they don't tell me I have to get it repaired rather than replaced. Ugh.
RaMaShan is offline  
post #158 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Member
 
bowlbyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I am intrigued by this device...I am curious if it will also solve my problem of going through my tuner that has built in HDMI switching, but my projector cable is 25 feet long and when I connect a cable from my PS3 into my receiver (4') and then from the receiver to my projector, it is pretty scrambled, so right now I have it going directly from my PS3 to my projector for video and then I use the optical cable for sound. I was going to get an HDMI booster to increase the signal strength, but maybe this would solve that problem too? So, as I understand it, you would plug your sources into the Edge box and it would act as a HDMI switch of sorts. Then you plug an HDMI to my projector I am assuming? How does it handle audio, does it use an optical cable, or do you use another HDMI audio out to the receiver? Many thanks in advance for your help!
bowlbyd is offline  
post #159 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Member
 
bowlbyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I should have investigated a bit before asking the question...looks like it is indeed what I am looking for and will allow me to hook just a single source to my projector and tuner...nice. The one thing I did notice is that while it supports HDMI 1.3, it doesn't support HDMI 1.3a which has deep color support....When my PS3 is hooked up to the projector with blu ray it shows that it is using 12bit color (blu ray anyway)...is this still going to be the case, or is it going to only be 8 bit?
bowlbyd is offline  
post #160 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
Zip3kx07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbyd View Post

Ok, I am intrigued by this device...I am curious if it will also solve my problem of going through my tuner that has built in HDMI switching, but my projector cable is 25 feet long and when I connect a cable from my PS3 into my receiver (4') and then from the receiver to my projector, it is pretty scrambled, so right now I have it going directly from my PS3 to my projector for video and then I use the optical cable for sound. I was going to get an HDMI booster to increase the signal strength, but maybe this would solve that problem too? So, as I understand it, you would plug your sources into the Edge box and it would act as a HDMI switch of sorts. Then you plug an HDMI to my projector I am assuming? How does it handle audio, does it use an optical cable, or do you use another HDMI audio out to the receiver? Many thanks in advance for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbyd View Post

Ok, I should have investigated a bit before asking the question...looks like it is indeed what I am looking for and will allow me to hook just a single source to my projector and tuner...nice. The one thing I did notice is that while it supports HDMI 1.3, it doesn't support HDMI 1.3a which has deep color support....When my PS3 is hooked up to the projector with blu ray it shows that it is using 12bit color (blu ray anyway)...is this still going to be the case, or is it going to only be 8 bit?

The Edge is basically a video switching hub, so yes all your sources would go threw the Edge. The Edge has two HDMI outs, one does audio and video to your TV, the other just audio for your receiver/pre-amp, there is also a fiber optic out if your receiver doesn't have HDMI. According to the review posted on "The Secretes of Home Theater HiFi" website http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/acces...processor.html The edge does support HDMI 1.3a.

When I first got my Marantz preamp I was having an HDMI syncing problem. If I went from the PS3 over my 30ft HDMI cable to my projector everything was fine, if I took my sources threw the Marantz and out to the projector over the same 30ft HDMI cable I would get no picture. I tryed a 15ft HDMI and problem solved but 15ft is too short of a run so I got a 30ft fiber optic HDMI cable which solved the problem.
Zip3kx07 is offline  
post #161 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 11:25 PM
Member
 
bowlbyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many thanks for the info, right now there is a $200 rebate going on for the EDGE device from all major retailers...so I ordered mine and look forward to seeing it work! Fiber optic sounds like a good choice as well if this doesn't do the trick, or if the 30' cable I have doesn't have enough coming from the EDGE device.
bowlbyd is offline  
post #162 of 2036 Old 12-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Member
 
bowlbyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question about your fiber optic cable. Does it come with female ends that you have to plug a standard short HDMI cable into your other devices, or is it just like a normal copper cable. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your fiber cable?
bowlbyd is offline  
post #163 of 2036 Old 12-22-2008, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Zip3kx07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbyd View Post

Many thanks for the info, right now there is a $200 rebate going on for the EDGE device from all major retailers...so I ordered mine and look forward to seeing it work! Fiber optic sounds like a good choice as well if this doesn't do the trick, or if the 30' cable I have doesn't have enough coming from the EDGE device.

Wow, that was fast.

Good luck with the Edge, I'm sure you will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbyd View Post

Quick question about your fiber optic cable. Does it come with female ends that you have to plug a standard short HDMI cable into your other devices, or is it just like a normal copper cable. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your fiber cable?

Don't mind at all.

I got it from http://www.digitalconnection.com/cable.asp

It has female connections on both end and comes with two 0.5M HDMI cables. I didn't use the cables it came with but replaced them with two HDMI male to male connector like this one.

Zip3kx07 is offline  
post #164 of 2036 Old 12-23-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMaShan View Post

Ceiling mounted the RS10. Powered on ok. Changed the installation type to Ceiling Mount. Used the horizontal lense shift and that worked fine (projector is pretty much center to the screen so minimal horizontal was needed). However, the vertical shift does not seem to function at all. I can occasionally hear a quiet clicking sound when I try to engage the vertical shift - as if the gears are trying to engage but are jammed.

In terms of screw length for mounting, the manual indicates a max length of 23mm. I used 20mm plus two thin washers so actual length below the surface of the case would be more like 19mm. I recall hearing issues with using screws that were too long but mine appear to be within the correct parameters.

Any chance there is a shipping mode that I need to shut off?

Anyone familiar with the JVC process of dealing with out of the box defects?

Really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions that people might have.
Thank you.

I had the same issue with my rs 20 yesterday. I can hear it trying to shift but it wont. Sent unit back waiting on a new one. Seems like a design flaw.
kutlow is online now  
post #165 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlbyd View Post

...The one thing I did notice is that while it supports HDMI 1.3, it doesn't support HDMI 1.3a which has deep color support....When my PS3 is hooked up to the projector with blu ray it shows that it is using 12bit color (blu ray anyway)...is this still going to be the case, or is it going to only be 8 bit?

There is no such thing as a 36-bit (12-bit per channel) BD since the BD spec doesn't support it. All HD software from HDTV to HD DVD to BD is 24-bit (8-bit). Deep color is manly a marketing scheme. No matter what your projector reports the software starts as *24-bit signal. The PS3 may up-convert it to 36-bit but it's still a 24-bit picture.

*There may be a couple of PS3 games that support deep Color.
William is offline  
post #166 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Member
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oakland, NJ
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Received mine from Jason yesterday. After a few basic adjustments, skimmed thru Casino Royale, Kungfu Panda, The Dark Night and a few music videos last night, all I could say was "Wow, this thing is incredible!". From the black level, shadow details, brightness, everything...this thing rocks. The colors were a bit over-saturated, but so what!

Thank you very much for your good customer service, Jason.
DeeGee is offline  
post #167 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post

Received mine from Jason yesterday. After a few basic adjustments, skimmed thru Casino Royale, Kungfu Panda, The Dark Night and a few music videos last night, all I could say was "Wow, this thing is incredible!". From the black level, shadow details, brightness, everything...this thing rocks. The colors were a bit over-saturated, but so what!

Thank you very much for your good customer service, Jason.

What was your previous projector? (if you had one). You should be able to tame the colors be reducing color control to a lower setting I would I assume. No?

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
adidino is online now  
post #168 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Member
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oakland, NJ
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
adidino,

The RS10 replaced my Optoma H79 whose bulb had dimmed to the point that it gave me headache after a short viewing. You might have read all the problems it posed on this forum. I am so happy to be liberated from the heat and fan noise from an added fan. I found that tuning down the color control to -11 makes it very acceptable.

DG
DeeGee is offline  
post #169 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
KTTV Images's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 View Post

The Edge is basically a video switching hub, so yes all your sources would go threw the Edge. The Edge has two HDMI outs, one does audio and video to your TV, the other just audio for your receiver/pre-amp, there is also a fiber optic out if your receiver doesn't have HDMI. According to the review posted on "The Secretes of Home Theater HiFi" website http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/acces...processor.html The edge does support HDMI 1.3a.

When I first got my Marantz preamp I was having an HDMI syncing problem. If I went from the PS3 over my 30ft HDMI cable to my projector everything was fine, if I took my sources threw the Marantz and out to the projector over the same 30ft HDMI cable I would get no picture. I tryed a 15ft HDMI and problem solved but 15ft is too short of a run so I got a 30ft fiber optic HDMI cable which solved the problem.

Cold you expand a bit on the 30 foot fiber optical HDMi: MFG.,Model number and price range? Does this approach solve the 25 to 50 foot HDMI cable run problem in you opinion? Will it take care of HDMI 1.3a?

Thanks
KT
KTTV Images is offline  
post #170 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
 
Lee Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

Cold you expand a bit on the 30 foot fiber optical HDMi: MFG.,Model number and price range? Does this approach solve the 25 to 50 foot HDMI cable run problem in you opinion? Will it take care of HDMI 1.3a?

Thanks
KT

I have a 75ft cable I got that has NO issues. I paid 80 bucks for it.

Ps after 2 days of tweaking I have this thing looking so sweet and the colors are fine to me. New screenshots coming tonight or tomorrow.
Lee Weber is offline  
post #171 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

Cold you expand a bit on the 30 foot fiber optical HDMi: MFG.,Model number and price range? Does this approach solve the 25 to 50 foot HDMI cable run problem in you opinion? Will it take care of HDMI 1.3a?

Thanks
KT

I use a 50' from DC. Using an optical makes it about the same as a 3' high quality HDMI cable connection.
William is offline  
post #172 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Zip3kx07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTTV Images View Post

Cold you expand a bit on the 30 foot fiber optical HDMi: MFG.,Model number and price range? Does this approach solve the 25 to 50 foot HDMI cable run problem in you opinion? Will it take care of HDMI 1.3a?

Thanks
KT

There are a number of fiber optic HDMI cables out there, the one I am using is made by "Ophit", the model is "HDM-A", MSRP on this cable is $499 but it can be found a lot cheaper. I don't want to quote what I paid because I don't want to violate any rules and get this thread locked. PM me if you want to know.

From what I have read the spec for a normal copper HDMI is only rated for up to 15ft. It is possible to go longer then that if you use a good quality cable with large copper conductors. In my situation a 30ft copper cable wasn't working. The fiber optic cable fixed my syncing problem threw my preamp and the picture even looked a bit sharper then the copper cable I was using. Depending on your situation and install, fiber optic HDMI cables can go up to 330ft with very little loss in quality if any. If you need to do a long HDMI run I highly recommend a fiber optic HDMI cable it was money well spent.
Zip3kx07 is offline  
post #173 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Zip3kx07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK back on topic.


Question for you RS10/HD350 owners.

I don't want to air out the dirty laundry on AVS so all I'll say is my order for my RS10 hasn't gone very well, it's looking like by time things get straighten out and I get the thing it's going to be about 3 to 4 weeks since I placed the order. I'm getting to the point of just pulling the plug, canceling the order and moving on.

But before I do I wanted to ask those that have there projectors a question. are you happy with your RS10? If you had too would you buy it again?
Zip3kx07 is offline  
post #174 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Member
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oakland, NJ
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Zip3kx07,

I'd do the same thing again. Coming from an Optoma H79, which is excellent with a new bulb, the RS10 is quite a step up from it. Especially black level and dark scene details are incredible !

DG
DeeGee is offline  
post #175 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
 
Lee Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 View Post

There are a number of fiber optic HDMI cables out there, the one I am using is made by "Ophit", the model is "HDM-A", MSRP on this cable is $499 but it can be found a lot cheaper. I don't want to quote what I paid because I don't want to violate any rules and get this thread locked. PM me if you want to know.

From what I have read the spec for a normal copper HDMI is only rated for up to 15ft. It is possible to go longer then that if you use a good quality cable with large copper conductors. In my situation a 30ft copper cable wasn't working. The fiber optic cable fixed my syncing problem threw my preamp and the picture even looked a bit sharper then the copper cable I was using. Depending on your situation and install, fiber optic HDMI cables can go up to 330ft with very little loss in quality if any. If you need to do a long HDMI run I highly recommend a fiber optic HDMI cable it was money well spent.


Dont drink the HDMI Kool-Aid!
I got 75ft, for CHEAP- a generic brand and it passes 1080p w/ 7.1 Bitstream without an issue.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 View Post

Question for you RS10/HD350 owners.

I don't want to air out the dirty laundry on AVS so all I'll say is my order for my RS10 hasn't gone very well, it's looking like by time things get straighten out and I get the thing it's going to be about 3 to 4 weeks since I placed the order. I'm getting to the point of just pulling the plug, canceling the order and moving on.

But before I do I wanted to ask those that have there projectors a question. are you happy with your RS10? If you had too would you buy it again?

As far as the RS10..I am very happy. If I were to change it would be to an RS20 Sometimes there are bad units/issues. Mine came from AVS and has been perfectly fine- I have bought more thsn 1 unit from them and its been great both times.
Lee Weber is offline  
post #176 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
JimmyR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Runco Island CA.
Posts: 4,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been tickled using my (RAM) 50" $100 copper HDMI cable with no problems at all and that is including 1080p at 24 fps.
JimmyR is offline  
post #177 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Kevin 3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post

Zip3kx07,

I'd do the same thing again. Coming from an Optoma H79, which is excellent with a new bulb, the RS10 is quite a step up from it. Especially black level and dark scene details are incredible !

DG

Same here upgraded from an Optoma HD80 DLP which was good when first released but lacking as above...
Kevin 3000 is offline  
post #178 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Member
 
RaMaShan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I had the same issue with my rs 20 yesterday. I can hear it trying to shift but it wont. Sent unit back waiting on a new one. Seems like a design flaw.

Received my replacement RS10 yesterday and shift is working fine on this unit. The replacement doesn't seem to be quite as sharp as the other one - seems a bit more tricky getting the focus just right. Other than that, image looks good. Could be my imagination but the lense cover seems to open and close more smoothly with less noise than the previous unit.

Packaging is suspicious on these in Canada. Lense is exposed to the elements through the carry handle cutouts in the box. Seems like a pretty risky packaging design given the cost of these units.

Still have lots of playing to do. Hope your replacement RS20 comes in soon.
RaMaShan is offline  
post #179 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pmeyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

I've been tickled using my (RAM) 50" $100 copper HDMI cable with no problems at all and that is including 1080p at 24 fps.

Did you mean 50'? If not, $100 for a 4' 2" cable was pretty steep...

Paul Meyer
Bee Cave (Austin), TX

The MeyerHT is open for business!
pmeyer is offline  
post #180 of 2036 Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 PM
 
scottyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: mound,mn,usa
Posts: 3,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY View Post

Ps after 2 days of tweaking I have this thing looking so sweet and the colors are fine to me. New screenshots coming tonight or tomorrow.

Hey W3bbY,

Are ya gonna share those settings?

Scott
scottyb is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Hd350 Full Hd D Ila Home Theater Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hd350 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off