Official Sony VPL-VW80 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got home from work, unboxed the projector, plugged it into the wall with the universal AC cord that I bought, and watched the "on/standby" light go on.

That's about as far as I got before I needed to do a few things, but I wanted to stop by here and start this thread for all who follow as owners.

Here's to a great projector experience with this model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Holy Guacamole! what the hell are you waiting for!...Get that baby hooked up, dialed in, and start feeding us!...
post #3 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Lets hear it!!!
post #4 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

k. i have no screen. i just have a 5' x 10' sheet of gatorfoam. i made a black border 104" x 58" (119" diagonal), because that is the largest i calculated i can safely go with my throw distance.

i had a friend come in and hold the gatorfoam approximately where i plan to temporarily mount it. i ran a 25' blue jeans cable HDMI cable from my denon dvd-3800BDCI. i threw in the Wanted blu-ray disc (haven't watched it yet, it was just sitting there on the table from blockbuster).

i hit power, and *bam*, there was the intro screen for the movie. being a projector newb it took me a while to do lens shift and lens zoom to center the movie on the gatorfoam, but once i did it was definitely a "holy crap" moment. it really looked awesome without focusing or anything else other than taking it out of the box and centering it on the screen (which isn't even a projector screen). i called my folks over to stun them, which they were sufficiently stunned, then i had mercy on my friend who had been holding the gatorfoam in place the whole time, i held it while he watched a few minutes of the movie.

i didn't get to check if it was 1080p24 (it should have been), but the sound was definitely DTS-HD MA

i should be doing the temporary mount for the gatorfoam in the next few days, so unfortunately until it's up i won't be able to do any more messing around with the projector.

the plan is to order swatches of various screen types and affix them to the gatorfoam, eventually decide what i like best, then order a 118" retractable screen of that material (the projector screen has to go in front of my television in my living room).

one thing i immediately noticed is how bright the room was when there were bright scenes in the movie, so i'm already thinking of ways to make the living room more conducive to projector-viewing.

one more thing - this thing is plenty bright for my taste (yes, i know the bulb is brand new and it won't always be this bright, but i can't see brightness ever being an issue with this projector in my room). and no, i don't know what lamp setting it was on - if any of you know what setting it comes with from the manufacturer, that's the one.

sorry i can't be more informative instantly, that's the problem of getting the projector before the temporary screen goes up.
post #5 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Had mine for 4 days now and have already put nearly 50 hours on it. Its a really competent machine that does everything well. Out the box the colour is average with other machines, that is to say over saturated. I get mine calibrated in a week and its good to know that it has all the control needed for perfect colour calibration unlike my outgoing HD100. Even with that said, the out of box image is very pleasing and on the cutting edge of what affordable front projection is capable of.

I'm projecting onto a 92" 1.3gain screen in a room with light control but its not light treated. Not an ideal projector environment but yet it still pleases. I use auto iris and the image is very easily bright enough for my modest screen size, in fact there's a ton of punch. Blacks are great too, not perfect and I still see the difference between the black boarder and a 0 IRE field but its slightly better than the HD100 which was also good in this regard.

Only thing that disappoints me so far is the remote. Its not laid out very well and will take some getting used to. In comparison the JVC is really well laid out and took only seconds to get to grips with. Oh and I don't like the side cable entry thing. It looks untidy whereas before with the HD100 they were all nicely hidden away. Both the issues are small in comparison to the strengths.

I'm interested to hear what other find in terms of convergence(none issue on this projector IMO) and shading/colour uniformity. I've got a nice unit that's good in this regard. No detectable shading even in Vista where it shows quite easily and convergence is spot on out the box. There's also some welcome convergence tweaks in the menus that go beyond the norm and should virtually eliminate any issue of this problem regardless of unit.

PS. What do folks think of the dark frame technology? I see a very real difference here and specifically a reduction in motion blur during pans or fast movement. Report back if you can as I'd be interested to hear whether you think this is the way forward for more cinematic images - I strongly think it is.
post #6 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Ahhhhh... Congrats!

If you get a chance to go into the service menu, I'd love for you to check the CLOSE/OPED REG IRIS

Do you know the sequence to get into the service menu? Wouldn't mind having a look around.
post #7 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i'm in fort lauderdale florida. the unit was dropped off at the local post office in australia on november 28th local time (november 27th here).

so it took seven days, including saturday and sunday.
post #8 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

ENTER ENTER LEFT ARROW ENTER Then answer YES

That doesn't seem to work. Maybe they changed the code for this model?
post #9 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 PM

Liked: 11
Initial lamp is on high so if bright enough you can switch to low to save some bulb life. If you like Dark Frame Insertion mode 1 (which is very dim compare to other modes) than you really need high lamp setting. A very good projector in all area. Love to know how to tweak the auto iris.
post #10 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterho3 View Post

Initial lamp is on high so if bright enough you can switch to low to save some bulb life. If you like Dark Frame Insertion mode 1 (which is very dim compare to other modes) than you really need high lamp setting. A very good projector in all area. Love to know how to tweak the auto iris.

it's very bright for me, so i will definitely be switching to low. i haven't tried dark frame insertion, so we'll have to see if it's too dim on low if i want to use DFI mode 1.
post #11 of 368 Old 12-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post

PS. What do folks think of the dark frame technology? I see a very real difference here and specifically a reduction in motion blur during pans or fast movement. Report back if you can as I'd be interested to hear whether you think this is the way forward for more cinematic images - I strongly think it is.

I use it, I like it and I don't even mind the slight "cinematic"(?) flicker but a friend whom I sourced a VW80 for doesn't like the flicker at all and so won't use Film Projection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 AM

Bytehoven, i am on the same boat, waiting for my Christmas present.... After spending 3 years with my HS60/51A, I just cannot resist the bargain from OZ. It's like 60% cheaper than our MSRP in Hong Kong. I guess we can take advantage from the devaluation of OZ $ in the last few months.
post #13 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 02:43 AM

I have a da-lite HP 100"..... I hope to set up-mine in low lamp mode. Hopefully the black will not be washed out. Hope it will be in my house next Friday/Saturday.
post #14 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 03:06 AM

Please, excuse my absolute ignorance.- where did you get that beauty in the USA?, I`d like one for my, as an owner of a vw60, I hope (I almost sure) that the W80 is the way to go.- I can only buy in the USA, because I`m a foreign customer with a web box in the USA just for local shopping

Thanks
post #15 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian27 View Post

Please, excuse my absolute ignorance.- where did you get that beauty in the USA?, I`d like one for my, as an owner of a vw60, I hope (I almost sure) that the W80 is the way to go.- I can only buy in the USA, because I`m a foreign customer with a web box in the USA just for local shopping

The VW80 isn't being sold in the US. Currently, the only way for statesiders to get one is to buy it from a foreign vendor who is willing to ship overseas.

See this thread.
post #16 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 06:17 AM

I think they say that VW70 is the same as VW80.... They use a different model name. Like in Asia, Sony had HS60 & US had HS51A or something. Same with Pioneer models, you guys have a totally different naming system. I guess you guys in the US can get better deals than us (small market) and Sony is trying to confuse people like me who is always searching for a better deal from abroad... If people buy things like me, there will be no authorized dealer in Hong Kong
post #17 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Its been established that VW70 is not a VW80 hence why people are going to the trouble of importing to save costs and get the 120hz processing features that the US model is missing.
post #18 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

after watching Wanted (which is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio) for a few minutes last night with the black bars on the top and the bottom, i'm now mulling doing a 2.35 setup for the first time (which i know absolutely nothing about). sigh.

i guess i'd need an anamorphic lens, and need to buy a wider screen that i can mask on the sides somehow?

are any of you going to do this/planning to do this with the VW80? if so, a very brief synopsis of what i'm in for would be great (yes, i'm going to read the CIH forum). thanks.
post #19 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Ideally you need a scaler as well or some aspect ratios are going to become problematic.
post #20 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances View Post

after watching Wanted (which is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio) for a few minutes last night with the black bars on the top and the bottom, i'm now mulling doing a 2.35 setup for the first time (which i know absolutely nothing about). sigh.

Depending on the specific issues you have with "black bars" a masking system on your 16x9 screen may be a simplier option to consider.

http://www.carada.com/Masquerade-Masking-System.aspx
post #21 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

I have a CIH 2.35:1 screen and have ordered the VW80. I do the cheap mans zoom method and am quite happy with the results on my HW10.
post #22 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobiwan View Post

Out the box the colour is average with other machines, that is to say over saturated.

Hi,

I just want to add here that the VW80 has a really good "out of the box" color reproduction. White balance is needed a little tweaking but this is my measurements of the x, y, Y of VW80. But regarding colors it is one of the best that I have seen "out of the box".

Measured in High lamp mode, no IRIS.

Attachment 126015

Attachment 126016

Attachment 126017

//Tim
LL
LL
LL
post #23 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 AM

thanks fro your info, well then my vw60 have to stay at home for a while.... how much? I don´t know.
but for sure I can´t find only one reason to change my wv60 and go to the vw70
so, 120hz and motion darkflow... may be for the 2009 christmas
post #24 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Depending on the specific issues you have with "black bars" a masking system on your 16x9 screen may be a simplier option to consider.

http://www.carada.com/Masquerade-Masking-System.aspx

good point. i guess my issue wasn't so much with the black bars, but with the thought "gee, this movie would look great if it filled the entire height of the screen."

too bad i didn't have a 1:78 AR blu-ray laying around, i probably wouldn't be having these evil thoughts right now.
post #25 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

i'm experiencing home theater overload
post #26 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Any pics of the actual unit?
post #27 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian27 View Post

thanks fro your info, well then my vw60 have to stay at home for a while.... how much? I don´t know.
but for sure I can´t find only one reason to change my wv60 and go to the vw70
so, 120hz and motion darkflow... may be for the 2009 christmas

I see several things that takes VW80 a huge step forward from VW60.

- Much better color accuracy
- Higher Light Output
- Huge improvment in contrast
- Better optics and detail

//Tim
post #28 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

plus if you are interested in Motionflow and Dark Frame Insertion.
post #29 of 368 Old 12-05-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire View Post

Any pics of the actual unit?

i haven't taken any, but a friend in australia took some when he got his unit and posted them in this thread:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=72717
post #30 of 368 Old 12-06-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

guys, chime in with what mode you are preferring: dynamic, standard, or cinema.

and high or low lamp.

and auto iris 1, auto iris 2, w/what sensitivity.

and do you switch any of these things depending on what you are watching, or do you pretty much figure out what you like best, dial it in, and leave it regardless?

also, what does the ZOOM feature do to the aspect ratio of the film? if my screen is 16:9 and I am watching a 2:35 movie and hit ZOOM to fill the screen, how exactly is that affecting the picture quality?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page