Official JVC RS20 / HD750 Calibration and CMS thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1782 Old 02-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lovingdvd, you are correct, I forgot this step (pretty easy for a newbie). Thanks for the tip, I'll re-do it tonight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1782 Old 02-22-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Just to report, last night I've seen the Last Indy and the chrystal skull, and needed to lower so much the master color from the usual +6 with RecJVC v1 to the new -5 value
The image was too oversatured and microdetails has become "dirty" and lost so was necessary to lowered the master color in order to get all propotionally balanced.
This way the movie looks like the HD trailer I learned and fixed in my memory as a reference
Strange ... an oversaturated tranfer ??
Do someone have noticed this overbust on this movie ??
post #1503 of 1782 Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

Just to report, last night I've seen the Last Indy and the chrystal skull, and needed to lower so much the master color from the usual +6 with RecJVC v1 to the new -5 value
The image was too oversatured and microdetails has become "dirty" and lost so was necessary to lowered the master color in order to get all propotionally balanced.
This way the movie looks like the HD trailer I learned and fixed in my memory as a reference
Strange ... an oversaturated tranfer ??
Do someone have noticed this overbust on this movie ??

That is odd. I really enjoyed this movie with Rec Ldvd rev3 settings and did not have to make any adjustments movie-specific.
post #1504 of 1782 Old 02-22-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ric ... But the strange thing is that I tried too your v3 that I use with color -5 and with Indy yours too I must lowered setting color to -10 ...
I really think it's the transfer Maybe a different European ?? or my RS20 that is near to 80 hours lamp and is changing ??
post #1505 of 1782 Old 02-22-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I may be the only one here that uses the lamp on High. On my screen and room etc...I prefer (by a large margin) the image when the lamp is set to High. My screen is very low gain DIY AVS Forum-Home Depot SilverStar paint job. Actually it looks great and very natural. Very light grey...but whites are white and blacks are black-ish.

The iris is on -5 or -7 for most content.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away there was....Club Timobi Wan-Episode II.
post #1506 of 1782 Old 02-22-2009, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

That is odd. I really enjoyed this movie with Rec Ldvd rev3 settings and did not have to make any adjustments movie-specific.

I use Color = -5 with Rec Ldvd rev3 for everything; gives a very natural result to my eye. But as I've noted, it's become clear to me that I really don't things with much over saturation. (Maybe I've listened to Bob Sorel too much, but I really do like the natural look.)
post #1507 of 1782 Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Just to report, this night I've seen Deja Vu ( great details and porosity on my screen !! ) and I'm back to original color settings ( -5 RecLDVD v3 and +5 RecJVC v1 ) so, was Indy tranfer for shure to gave me that sensations before.....
post #1508 of 1782 Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

LovingDVD,

This question was directed to you. I am interested in what your tricks are when using the i1Pro and this projector to get reliable readings under 20 IRE. Actually, I have trouble under 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

I use the i1Pro as well. However, I have not been able to get repeatable readings below 20 IRE. What's your trick to get this thing to behave?

I did experiment quite a bit with positioning it to the projector. I found through trial and error that if I keep the meter pointed directly at the projector, I had trouble getting it close enough to be at the max range (approx 3200) before it would over saturate and refuse to give me a reading. If I angled it slightly (moving from parallel towards perpendicular), I could move the meter closer to the projector without it becoming over saturated. Aiming it directly at the projector, the max reading I could get was about 2500. With a slightly angled position, I could get a max reading of about 2800.

I was not successful, no matter what I tried, to get repeatable results below 20%. I'd be real interested in any tips you may have to share with using this meter.

post #1509 of 1782 Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

LovingDVD,

This question was directed to you. I am interested in what your tricks are when using the i1Pro and this projector to get reliable readings under 20 IRE. Actually, I have trouble under 30.

I've covered this multiple times in previous posts in this thread and others. Bottom line is that I use HCFR to train a Spyder 2 to an Eye One pro.
post #1510 of 1782 Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

For someone who continues to councel others to post their RS20 calibration questions on this thread, you sure do know how to make someone feel like an idiot for asking.
post #1511 of 1782 Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I bought my RS20 last month and since then I wasn't able to tweak it to my satisfaction. To my eyes THX mode image look very flat, so I experimented with the popular settings posted around here.
Last night, Gregg Loewen came to calibrate my RS20. He examined my settings and took some measurements.
As you can see in my attachment, D65 wasn't that off, color gammut was right on spot with REC709, and gamma was almost perfect at 2.2.
The first thing he did, was to set the iris properly such that the black levels were accurate. Then he continued doing the contrast and brightness settings. Afterwards, he adjusted the greyscale in such away that it could reduce the DE's below 1, and he succeded in doing so. Finally, adjusted the color and hue. We then took measurements (as post it in the attachment).
We then adjusted the pioneer 51fd, since it was clipping wtw. Then we moved on to watching some demo material, and explained to me about the
different CMS presets and how the THX works properly.
The image now looks flipping great... It really looks very closely to what you actually see in the movie theater, with the exception that it has by far more detailed...
To everyone that ones to have the most of their RS20 I recommend you have Gregg Loewen calibrate it...

Christian Gonzalez Pre.pdf 126.5185546875k . file

Christian Gonzalez post.pdf 125.009765625k . file

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #1512 of 1782 Old 02-25-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Last night, Gregg Loewen came to calibrate my RS20.

Thanks for your calibration report. I've started a new list for the RS20 in post #1 of the link at the bottom of your report.

UMR is the other owner/calibrator who has posted several impressions of the RS20. I'm looking forward to visiting one in the near future.

Quote:

The image now looks flipping great... It really looks very closely to what you actually see in the movie theater, with the exception that it has by far more detailed...

UMR has had the same reaction based on one of the finest theaters in the country.

Enjoy.
post #1513 of 1782 Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

I bought my RS20 last month and since then I wasn't able to tweak it to my satisfaction. To my eyes THX mode image look very flat, so I experimented with the popular settings posted around here.
Last night, Gregg Loewen came to calibrate my RS20. He examined my settings and took some measurements.
As you can see in my attachment, D65 wasn't that off, color gammut was right on spot with REC709, and gamma was almost perfect at 2.2.
The first thing he did, was to set the iris properly such that the black levels were accurate. Then he continued doing the contrast and brightness settings. Afterwards, he adjusted the greyscale in such away that it could reduce the DE's below 1, and he succeded in doing so. Finally, adjusted the color and hue. We then took measurements (as post it in the attachment).
We then adjusted the pioneer 51fd, since it was clipping wtw. Then we moved on to watching some demo material, and explained to me about the
different CMS presets and how the THX works properly.
To everyone that ones to have the most of their RS20 I recommend you have Gregg Loewen calibrate it...

It sounds like Gregg only made adjustments to the THX mode which means he could not use the CMS at all. Is this correct or am I just not following your explanation?
post #1514 of 1782 Old 02-26-2009, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj2000 View Post

It sounds like Gregg only made adjustments to the THX mode which means he could not use the CMS at all. Is this correct or am I just not following your explanation?

Gregg did not use the CMS.. The colors were already within specifications...

Christian

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #1515 of 1782 Old 02-26-2009, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Which means he calibrated the THX mode (as much as is possible) ...right?

So - is THX what you are using right now to watch movies?
post #1516 of 1782 Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Which means he calibrated the THX mode (as much as is possible) ...right?

So - is THX what you are using right now to watch movies?

Yes....

Christian

post #1517 of 1782 Old 02-26-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Care to share what settings he arrived at for THX (color, brightness, contrast, gain, offset). (I realize they are not transferable and may be different for every machine)
post #1518 of 1782 Old 02-26-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Care to share what settings he arrived at for THX (color, brightness, contrast, gain, offset). (I realize they are not transferable and may be different for every machine)

color, brightness, contrast: NO.

Play with green and blue gains in order to achieve the lowest delta-luma for the 3 primaries (within +/- 1%) and balanced values on secondaries.
Don't care with dE (6 to 8 is correct)
Color temp should follow.
post #1519 of 1782 Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leDahu View Post

color, brightness, contrast: NO.

Play with green and blue gains in order to achieve the lowest delta-luma for the 3 primaries (within +/- 1%) and balanced values on secondaries.
Don't care with dE (6 to 8 is correct)
Color temp should follow.

correct me if I am wrong but cant you get a better picture by getting out of THX and going from there?
post #1520 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

correct me if I am wrong but cant you get a better picture by getting out of THX and going from there?

This procedure will set and optimize the THX mode only.
If you can read french or translate, all the details are here
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...03803&start=30
post #1521 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by leDahu View Post

This procedure will set and optimize the THX mode only.
If you can read french or translate, all the details are here
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...03803&start=30

Great write up, Le Dahu
post #1522 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

The good thing about using THX mode (for me) is it keeps me from constantly fiddling around w/ the many various RS20 picture controls. When not in THX mode - I find myself constantly pausing the movie to do this (I drive myself crazy).

For me now, I have everything zeroed out in THX mode (color bumped up 8 notches), applied User1 color temp controls and I am done. No CMS, gamma, sharpness or detail controls to entice me to constantly fiddle.

I'm trying to get back to where I was w/ my RS1 - which is just watching movies (un-interrupted) and w/o constantly wondering if I can improve some aspect of the picture.
post #1523 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

LOL John
There's a function in the menues to lock the buttons so you can live without the temptation to play with them during the projection
post #1524 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

LOL John
There's a function in the menues to lock the buttons so you can live without the temptation to play with them during the projection

Or he could just put on some big mittens.
Sorry, I'm in WI.

Mike
post #1525 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Or he could just put on some big mittens.
Sorry, I'm in WI.

Mike

Yea, Mike, I was thinking "boxing gloves."
post #1526 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:

The good thing about using THX mode (for me) is it keeps me from constantly fiddling around w/ the many various RS20 picture controls. When not in THX mode - I find myself constantly pausing the movie to do this (I drive myself crazy).

For me now, I have everything zeroed out in THX mode (color bumped up 8 notches), applied User1 color temp controls and I am done. No CMS, gamma, sharpness or detail controls to entice me to constantly fiddle.

I'm trying to get back to where I was w/ my RS1 - which is just watching movies (un-interrupted) and w/o constantly wondering if I can improve some aspect of the picture.

I have just been told that grayscale cannot be adjusted in the THX mode according to the pdf operating manual. Is this correct?
post #1527 of 1782 Old 02-27-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meyers View Post

I have just been told that grayscale cannot be adjusted in the THX mode according to the pdf operating manual. Is this correct?

Not without going to service menu. Please follow the link specified in the first post of this thread if you want to know more.
post #1528 of 1782 Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 AM

Thanks. Tomorrow I have a calibrator coming who is familiar with the rs1 and rs2 but not the rs20. Until there is a fimware fix on the CMS and until my bulb burns in for 150 hours I dont want a full calibration. I told him that I wanted to just tweak the greyscale in THX mode for now. But he saw on the operation manual that it is not possible in the user menus to access the necessary adjustments. Thanks for the lead on how to get into the service menu.
post #1529 of 1782 Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meyers View Post

. I told him that I wanted to just tweak the greyscale in THX mode for now. But he saw on the operation manual that it is not possible in the user menus to access the necessary adjustments. Thanks for the lead on how to get into the service menu.

You can tweak the grayscale for the THX mode if you read the work around posted.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #1530 of 1782 Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 AM

Liked: 68
For the experts/well informed out there....

What 120" screen would be recommended for this JVC projector in the neighborhood of 1.3 gain on a 16:9 ratio. I can't imagine spending more than 5k on it so consider that one variable (less would be better). I'm reading a lot of posts here on this projector but not much recommended as far as screens go. With some minimal ambient light at times (some times it will be very dark), is 120" a good choice? Thanks....
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page