Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

Ok, that did it. Thanks Emptychair.

I'll twist your other arm, the improvement from my HD70 1000 lumen pj was drastic in light brightness, the colors are better, and don't get washed out like happened with the other pj. Always before I couldn't keep the shades open, but with this pj, I can keep them open all the way in the middle of the afternoon from the 8ft window. Don't get me wrong this thing takes a hit from the light, but it still looks good. When I put this pj on its highest setting dynamic, itis just as bright as my LCD 40 inch, except my screen is 135 inch-its great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakman View Post

I'm about ready to order my projector, but now screens... I can only go with an 82" diagonal screen (16:9), and I can get it in high contrast grey or white for the same price. (Looking at the AccuScreen fixed 82" as this seems to be the only 82" the place I'm looking at ordering from carries.

The room has white walls and ceiling, and light grey carpet. The side walls aren't much of an issue - they're pretty far away, but the ceiling and carpet could be. Room is nearly 100% light controlled.

Any opinions? Grey or White?

Any experience with these AccuScreen screens? Any other suggestions?

Tough choice since this pj is great with blacks, but 82 inch isn't very big and you will have a bright screen, so having that grey might be enjoyable since you'll have even better blacks and still have brightness. IF it were me i'd be very tempted to get the grey at that size screen. I would order some free samples and see which one you like before ordering. Most screen companies will send you out some pretty quickly. In the meantime project on a wall or sheet, or buy some balckout material-its only 5 bucks a yard
post #723 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post

Well, I let my impatience get the better of me.

Thinking "well, the focus ring problem must only affect a small number of units, it's unlikely I'd experience it" I went ahead and ordered from a store that had the 6500UB in stock this last weekend. I received the projector this morning. When I got it out of the box, guess what? Frozen focus ring!

What's more, my Epson PrivateLine "prioritized service" PIN was not accepted. Nice going, Epson!
After going through the normal support process I got an exchange arranged (took about half an hour).

Very frustrating, but hopefully getting a new projector straight from Epson will mean getting one from a new batch with the focus ring problem fixed.

I'd recommend that anybody wanting to order one of these projectors either wait for the old inventory to clear out or order from somewhere that will check the projector for you before shipping it. It at least saves the hassle of spending time sitting on hold on the phone and re-packaging and shipping a defective projector.

Boy this sounds like I just had Deja Vu, my card # didn't work either and I have a frozen focus ring. When you call the other number they will give you a new number to enter.

I was real frustrated with my broken unit, so I came up with a temperary solution that you may have seen on the last page. I took my lens from old telescope and threw it in front of pj lens it it brought it back in focus. if you don't have one, you can try using the lens out of a pair of binoculars, which may work. They usually have a cap that screws off and the lens falls right out. At least this way you can watch it until a new unit comes in. Call up the epson store their website now says units in stock. I called and now am having one ship tonight-hopefully.
post #724 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm about ready to order my projector, but now screens... I can only go with an 82" diagonal screen (16:9), and I can get it in high contrast grey or white for the same price. (Looking at the AccuScreen fixed 82" as this seems to be the only 82" the place I'm looking at ordering from carries.

The room has white walls and ceiling, and light grey carpet. The side walls aren't much of an issue - they're pretty far away, but the ceiling and carpet could be. Room is nearly 100% light controlled.

Like djames said, I'd go with the grey too. An 82" screen in a white room is a scenario better suited for grey IMHO, especially with a bright pj like the 6500UB. Just my $0.02 .

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #725 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 03:16 PM

Anyone have experience with these AccuScreen screens? It might be a bit expensive at projector people from the research I've done since posting initially.

I've been projecting on just a white wall with my BenQ PB6100 for 4 years now - how much of a difference is a budget screen going to make?

I don't really need acoustical transparency - are these screens going to have a "texture" to them like I've read in other posts about screens? My wall has no texture at all and 'disappears' when the projector is on. I'd hate to spend so much on the screen (vs just continuing to use the wall) and then not be happy with it. Unfortunately it seems a lot harder to do research on budget screens than expensive projectors
post #726 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM

Question about the Rebate Forms.

It asks that we provide a copy of the serial number for the 6500 located on the box when filling out the rebate form(s). I did find the UPC code but I found another sticker with 2 identical numbers on top of each other with barcodes and PL HC 6500UB above them. This sticker or label does not have any indication that this is the serial number.

I just mounted my projector and I'd hate to unmount the unit to verify the serial number to this label. Is there any other way that I can view the serial number of my 6500? Maybe perhaps through the 6500 menu? And is this the label that indicates that indeed it is the serial number?

Any help is gladly appreciated.

Thanks
post #727 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 View Post

Question about the Rebate Forms.

It asks that we provide a copy of the serial number for the 6500 located on the box when filling out the rebate form(s). I did find the UPC code but I found another sticker with 2 identical numbers on top of each other with barcodes and PL HC 6500UB above them. This sticker or label does not have any indication that this is the serial number.

On my box, that number is the serial number. It's in the format LGYF8Z####L.
post #728 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM

The serial number on the projector is actually on a sticker on the back of the unit, not on the bottom and on mine it matches the sticker that has 2 identical numbers/letters.
post #729 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Welp, I'm getting a new 6500 shipped out by epson. I didn't have any mechanical problems that people are talking about such as loud iris or locked focus ring, but I had dust on the blue panel from the get-go and Jason from AVS told me that I can not remove that myself since it would void the warranty.

So....per the epson rep, I should have a new unit shipped out within 2-3 business days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the convergeance will be as good as mine currently is.
post #730 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mos View Post

The serial number on the projector is actually on a sticker on the back of the unit, not on the bottom and on mine it matches the sticker that has 2 identical numbers/letters.

When I talked to support about my defective projector, they said to look on the back of the unit for the serial number, but it wasn't there. On my 6500UB, the serial number was on the bottom (and on the two identical stickers on the box).
post #731 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:

On my box, that number is the serial number. It's in the format LGYF8Z####L.

Thanks I found it. The SN number is the sticker on the box. I had to actually look and compare them both but it's all good now.

Thanks
post #732 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

I have also been looking at purchasing a 6500UB as an upgrade to my Sanyo PLV-70. I've got a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Contour 106" screen (~0.8 gain grey), at 14' throw. It is located in a walkout basement with curtained off windows, so I can get fairly dark if need, although there is a little bit of 'dusk level' illumination in mid day. We also sometimes leave a light on in another part of the basement for kids playing, etc.

My question is to anyone who has a similar setup (either similar screen or coming from a PLV-70). How does the 6500UB look on the 0.8 grey screen? Is it bright enough? I'm used to a pretty bright initial (it's probably 50-75% after a few hundred hours, however) image on the PLV-70, so I wonder how close this will look to what I'm used to. Note that one of my complaints on the PLV-70 is that the bulbs do tend to dim fast (and I'm lucky if they live 500-700 hours!). One of the selling points of the 6500UB is actually the long bulb life. Hopefully it lives up to something close to the advertised 4000 hours.

Thanks!
post #733 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 05:24 PM

My suggestion would be Carada Brilliant White, its very good quality and highly recommended by many on this forum. It will make your picture "pop and wow" even more.

Quote:

post #734 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn99 View Post

My suggestion would be Carada Brilliant White, its very good quality and highly recommended by many on this forum. It will make your picture "pop and wow" even more.

Carada is great. I have the 6500UB and a 110" and it's awesome. You can't go wrong with Carada. They also can give you tips and pointers before ordering and they have excellent customer service.

I have a theatre room with dark walls, white ceiling and light carpet and it doesn't bother me at all. As long as you can block all light, you'll be alright.
post #735 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenolas View Post

I used to play xbox semi-pro. It will be a tough transition from a smaller TV to such a large screen. Tell them to stick with it, because it will pay off once they get used to it. It will take a few weeks before their timing is back to what it was with a smaller screen. I went from 40" to 100".

I dont know why it is so hard...but they will see what im talking about.

Also...if they get used to playing on a huge screen...transferring to a smaller screen is hard too. I don't know if they travel, but if they play in tournaments with LCD flat panels...i would recommend sticking with a television as it will be most like what they will have to play on in tournaments.

I own a 1080UB...motion lag is not much of a problem. The response time is very good. However, I havent played pro in a while...

Frame Interpolation will introduce some lag...if you have it off it shouldnt be a problem for the 6500.

Hope this helps.

-Ethenolas

Excellent point. I myself have to adapt when simply changing my viewing distance from a 54" RPTV. Adapting to the larger screen will be well worth it. Are there any other fast-paced gamers with experience with the 6500UB? My pocket is buring a hole for this PJ.
post #736 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine7 View Post

I have also been looking at purchasing a 6500UB as an upgrade to my Sanyo PLV-70. I've got a Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Contour 106" screen (~0.8 gain grey), at 14' throw. It is located in a walkout basement with curtained off windows, so I can get fairly dark if need, although there is a little bit of 'dusk level' illumination in mid day. We also sometimes leave a light on in another part of the basement for kids playing, etc.

My question is to anyone who has a similar setup (either similar screen or coming from a PLV-70). How does the 6500UB look on the 0.8 grey screen? Is it bright enough? I'm used to a pretty bright initial (it's probably 50-75% after a few hundred hours, however) image on the PLV-70, so I wonder how close this will look to what I'm used to. Note that one of my complaints on the PLV-70 is that the bulbs do tend to dim fast (and I'm lucky if they live 500-700 hours!). One of the selling points of the 6500UB is actually the long bulb life. Hopefully it lives up to something close to the advertised 4000 hours.

Thanks!

That's the upgrade I just did and as long as you have it in it's brighter mode you won't be disappointed. I don't know if I'd pair it with a .8 grey screen though but at 106" you may be ok. I'm using my new 6500 on a home built 120" Wilsonart designer white screen that's roughtly 1.4 gain and on Theater Black 1 it's a little dim, but on the Living Room setting it's crazy bright. I just broke 1000 hours on my Studio Experience 20HD (PLV-70 clone) and the 6500 was brighter when set on it's living room setting.
post #737 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

I'll twist your other arm, the improvement from my HD70 1000 lumen pj was drastic in light brightness, the colors are better, and don't get washed out like happened with the other pj. Always before I couldn't keep the shades open, but with this pj, I can keep them open all the way in the middle of the afternoon from the 8ft window. Don't get me wrong this thing takes a hit from the light, but it still looks good. When I put this pj on its highest setting dynamic, itis just as bright as my LCD 40 inch, except my screen is 135 inch-its great.

With both arms twisted I'm glad I bought mine tonight, thanks guys. You are right, I can leave some lights on now with little effect on the picture. This was the biggest gripe from friends as I use my pj mainly for HD sports and video games. Another thing I did notice was the depth that people were talking about, if I leave FI on I can't really notice the problems with it while watching sports but I do with the Blue Ray movies. Lastly, great blacks but I miss zooming , lens shifting and focusing with the remote but I guess they had to shave the price down somehow.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #738 of 4387 Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mos View Post

That's the upgrade I just did and as long as you have it in it's brighter mode you won't be disappointed. I don't know if I'd pair it with a .8 grey screen though but at 106" you may be ok. I'm using my new 6500 on a home built 120" Wilsonart designer white screen that's roughtly 1.4 gain and on Theater Black 1 it's a little dim, but on the Living Room setting it's crazy bright. I just broke 1000 hours on my Studio Experience 20HD (PLV-70 clone) and the 6500 was brighter when set on it's living room setting.

James,

Thanks. That helps a lot to have a reference point. I've always been happy with the overall brightness of the PLV-70 on my 0.8 screen, even with some lights on in the background. If your experience is that the 6500UB in bright mode beats PLV-70/20HD, then that's great news!

One question - have you ever had to change bulbs or noticed dimming on your 20HD? I'm somewhere between 4000-5000 hours (and on bulb #8!) At least on my unit, there is a noticeable loss of brightness with bulb age. I wonder if it's dimmer sometimes when watching it, but it's not bad or unviewable. Then when the old bulb explodes & needs a replacement, the new bulb seems at least several times brighter! To me, that is a "wow" feeling, much like I've read in some reviews on the 6500. I'd love to keep the brightness at that level for thousands of hours, so that's why I'm curious if your frame of reference for the 6500 is 'brighter than a 1000hour 20HD bulb' or more like the brightness of a new 20HD bulb.

Does anyone have any experience (yet) on how the 6500UB brightness holds up over hours? I think the bulb costs alone are a huge savings, but it would be nice to know that over a couple year span it won't die down and be dim for a long time.
post #739 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone have experience with these AccuScreen screens? It might be a bit expensive at projector people from the research I've done since posting initially.

I've been projecting on just a white wall with my BenQ PB6100 for 4 years now - how much of a difference is a budget screen going to make?

I don't really need acoustical transparency - are these screens going to have a "texture" to them like I've read in other posts about screens? My wall has no texture at all and 'disappears' when the projector is on. I'd hate to spend so much on the screen (vs just continuing to use the wall) and then not be happy with it. Unfortunately it seems a lot harder to do research on budget screens than expensive projectors

Having projected on different walls and cheap screens, I'd say the screens show more texture. My cheapo screen never showed it real bad, but now that I have the much brighter
6500, the texture really stands out on bright scenes and is annoying to look at. The da lie HP material doesn't have texture to it and is pretty cheap, so that might be an option for you. Personally though I'd just stick to the wall, since its less maintenance and from what I've experienced, looks the same pq wise as the screens.
post #740 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmjt View Post

Excellent point. I myself have to adapt when simply changing my viewing distance from a 54" RPTV. Adapting to the larger screen will be well worth it. Are there any other fast-paced gamers with experience with the 6500UB? My pocket is buring a hole for this PJ.

I love gaming and will post some comments when I get my replacement sheduled for today.

Going from a 40 inch tv to 135 inch screen was a big change for me, except i did get headaches at first, the first week. I think this was caused by being extra close and having to move my eyes all over the screen. I thought it was much much easier to play on than using the samll tv because everything stands out and is clear. For example on a racing game, the road and path needed to be taken for a race stands out because its so big, but on my tv, I had a hard time always seeing far up the road and seeing where the turns were. With shooters, all the bad guys are bigger and easier to see. I think your kids will love this thing. I momentarily tryed a few games with FI engaged and didn't even find any lag, although the games tryed weren't fast paced, so it might not have showed up. i will try some faster paced games with FI on and off to see if there is any lag to be found. With the FI, the game looks very nice.
post #741 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 04:05 AM

I tried searching but did not find any talk on this topic so please help me understand and decide.

As 6500 has Reon HQV chip inside, will it upscale any video signal less than 1080p coming into any of the two HDMI ports and component port or its only going to upscale 480p SD DVD. I have 80 GB PS3 for blu ray movies and HTPC with Vista MCE for other media (avi, mkv, mpg, divx) which I am going to connect to 2 HDMI ports on the 6500. I will also connect Wii to component port.

I hope this is what the Reon chip is meant for in this projector otherwise I will need to add a AV receiver with Reon chip in this setup (like Onkyo tx-SR876). If the Reon Chip in 6500 can do the upscaling, then I can buy any AVR without worrying about the kind of Video processing inside it.
post #742 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine7 View Post

James,

Thanks. That helps a lot to have a reference point. I've always been happy with the overall brightness of the PLV-70 on my 0.8 screen, even with some lights on in the background. If your experience is that the 6500UB in bright mode beats PLV-70/20HD, then that's great news!

One question - have you ever had to change bulbs or noticed dimming on your 20HD? I'm somewhere between 4000-5000 hours (and on bulb #8!) At least on my unit, there is a noticeable loss of brightness with bulb age. I wonder if it's dimmer sometimes when watching it, but it's not bad or unviewable. Then when the old bulb explodes & needs a replacement, the new bulb seems at least several times brighter! To me, that is a "wow" feeling, much like I've read in some reviews on the 6500. I'd love to keep the brightness at that level for thousands of hours, so that's why I'm curious if your frame of reference for the 6500 is 'brighter than a 1000hour 20HD bulb' or more like the brightness of a new 20HD bulb.

Does anyone have any experience (yet) on how the 6500UB brightness holds up over hours? I think the bulb costs alone are a huge savings, but it would be nice to know that over a couple year span it won't die down and be dim for a long time.

The new 6500 isn't brighter than a new bulb on the plv-70 but it is brighter than the 1000hour bulb on it. I had my 1st bulb go on my 20HD just after 500 hours and it's on it's 2nd bulb right now. I'm sure that he bulb in the 6500 will have similar dimming as the plv-70 but hopefully it's 1/2 brightness will be at 2000 hours instead of 1000hours (roughly of course) that the plv-70 has.

I sat on the upgrade fence for quite a while being worried about how much dimmer a new projector would be in comparison, but I'm glad I went with the 6500. You could also consider the 6100 since it's supposedly 200lumens brighter than the 6500 and cheaper too. I haven't seen the 6100 though so I can't comment on it.
post #743 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:

I love gaming and will post some comments when I get my replacement sheduled for today.

Going from a 40 inch tv to 135 inch screen was a big change for me, except i did get headaches at first, the first week. I think this was caused by being extra close and having to move my eyes all over the screen. I thought it was much much easier to play on than using the samll tv because everything stands out and is clear. For example on a racing game, the road and path needed to be taken for a race stands out because its so big, but on my tv, I had a hard time always seeing far up the road and seeing where the turns were. With shooters, all the bad guys are bigger and easier to see. I think your kids will love this thing. I momentarily tryed a few games with FI engaged and didn't even find any lag, although the games tryed weren't fast paced, so it might not have showed up. i will try some faster paced games with FI on and off to see if there is any lag to be found. With the FI, the game looks very nice.

I popped in Guitar Hero III last night through my PS3 and I had to set the settings back to easy (usually play on Medium to hard) because my eyes are not use to seeing the picture so big I was missing every note. It takes a while to getting use to it.

I didn't have time to play with FI on my 6500 with games. Last night I watched Young Guns on the 110" with 4:4 and Dark Theatre Mode II enabled and the results were really good. The video transfer on Young Guns was not that great but the picture with this projector really makes things worth watching.
post #744 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow1234 View Post

I popped in Guitar Hero III last night through my PS3 and I had to set the settings back to easy (usually play on Medium to hard) because my eyes are not use to seeing the picture so big I was missing every note. It takes a while to getting use to it.

I didn't have time to play with FI on my 6500 with games. Last night I watched Young Guns on the 110" with 4:4 and Dark Theatre Mode II enabled and the results were really good. The video transfer on Young Guns was not that great but the picture with this projector really makes things worth watching.

I played Call Of Duty World At War last night for the first time with my new 6500 with FI on and it took a little getting used to but like it alot. I haven't noticed the lag yet as I won some of the games but it is an experience with the FI on.

Anthem Statement D2v3D, Paradigm Sub 2, Paradigm S8s with C5, Anthem Statement M1 Amps, 174" AT Scope Screen, Epson 6010 3D Projector
post #745 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 AM

wooohoooo!! my 6500 is shipping out today!
Thanks AVS!
hopefully I get a good unit sans dead/stuck pixels.

The panny ae900 has served me well.. RIP
post #746 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Well, I let my impatience get the better of me.

Thinking "well, the focus ring problem must only affect a small number of units, it's unlikely I'd experience it" I went ahead and ordered from a store that had the 6500UB in stock this last weekend. I received the projector this morning. When I got it out of the box, guess what? Frozen focus ring!

What's more, my Epson PrivateLine "prioritized service" PIN was not accepted. Nice going, Epson!
After going through the normal support process I got an exchange arranged (took about half an hour).

Very frustrating, but hopefully getting a new projector straight from Epson will mean getting one from a new batch with the focus ring problem fixed.

I'd recommend that anybody wanting to order one of these projectors either wait for the old inventory to clear out or order from somewhere that will check the projector for you before shipping it. It at least saves the hassle of spending time sitting on hold on the phone and re-packaging and shipping a defective projector.

Well I got a call from Epson today.... In order to do the exchange, they needed to put a hold of ~$2200 on my credit card. No problem, right?
Except the card apparently got turned down. So I called the credit card company, they said the transaction was flagged by the fraud department as a potential fraud. I told them it was legitimate, they said that I would have to get Epson to call in for a manual authorization. So I called Epson back... but no, they're not allowed to do a manual authorization. So they're going to wait until tomorrow to try the card again and if that doesn't work they will have to "escalate" the problem.

Thanks a lot, Epson.
post #747 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roopG View Post

I tried searching but did not find any talk on this topic so please help me understand and decide.

As 6500 has Reon HQV chip inside, will it upscale any video signal less than 1080p coming into any of the two HDMI ports and component port or its only going to upscale 480p SD DVD. I have 80 GB PS3 for blu ray movies and HTPC with Vista MCE for other media (avi, mkv, mpg, divx) which I am going to connect to 2 HDMI ports on the 6500. I will also connect Wii to component port.

I hope this is what the Reon chip is meant for in this projector otherwise I will need to add a AV receiver with Reon chip in this setup (like Onkyo tx-SR876). If the Reon Chip in 6500 can do the upscaling, then I can buy any AVR without worrying about the kind of Video processing inside it.

The pj is 1080p native resolution, therefore it must display whatever is coming as its native resolution. So yes it will upscale your 480p to 1080p. The only problem that I noticed, is if you get a movie that has been formated toa 4:3 format, where the black bars are on the sides, then you can't stretch it to fill the whole screen if you are using component or HDMI. I don't know why they did this, maybe some type of copywrite law implimented? Whatever the reason you can't stretch if it is more than 480p. If you set the DVD player to 480p, it would let the pj do al the upscalling and maybe then it would stretch it, if you desire that effect.

I rent movies pretty much every night and watched 3 yesterday that were made for tv movies, so the pq sucked real bad. I watched them on my 720p HD70 and complained about the pq to myself the whole time. Afterwards, I threw them in my 6500 to see how they looked, and to my surprise it was a huge difference in pq, especially the worse one of the bunch. So the Reon is doing a great job in getting rid of artifacts and such, because it was a very nice picture. The one movie had a white softening haze to the picture, I think to give it a softer look, but on the 720 pj, it just took away from the movies pq and made it look washed out and almost blurry, but on the 6500, the white softening had a nice look to it that didn't detract from the movie, it looked probably how it was intended to look from the director. I'll post more when I get a chance with my new unit. I want to test SD broadcasting as that usualy is to bad for me to watch.
post #748 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:

The pj is 1080p native resolution, therefore it must display whatever is coming as its native resolution. So yes it will upscale your 480p to 1080p. The only problem that I noticed, is if you get a movie that has been formated toa 4:3 format, where the black bars are on the sides, then you can't stretch it to fill the whole screen if you are using component or HDMI. I don't know why they did this, maybe some type of copywrite law implimented? Whatever the reason you can't stretch if it is more than 480p. If you set the DVD player to 480p, it would let the pj do al the upscalling and maybe then it would stretch it, if you desire that effect.

I rent movies pretty much every night and watched 3 yesterday that were made for tv movies, so the pq sucked real bad. I watched them on my 720p HD70 and complained about the pq to myself the whole time. Afterwards, I threw them in my 6500 to see how they looked, and to my surprise it was a huge difference in pq, especially the worse one of the bunch. So the Reon is doing a great job in getting rid of artifacts and such, because it was a very nice picture. The one movie had a white softening haze to the picture, I think to give it a softer look, but on the 720 pj, it just took away from the movies pq and made it look washed out and almost blurry, but on the 6500, the white softening had a nice look to it that didn't detract from the movie, it looked probably how it was intended to look from the director. I'll post more when I get a chance with my new unit. I want to test SD broadcasting as that usualy is to bad for me to watch.

Thanks James for your input and looking forward to your further tests on SD TV broadcast. Do you have a computer connected to your 6500. If yes, how is the pic quality of divx files or Netflix online streaming? Do you see Reon making any difference to the quality.
post #749 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM

Any of you owners using a Chief RPA-U mount? Are you using all 4 mount points or just 3?

Just want to confirm ahead of time since I just ordered the 6500.
post #750 of 4387 Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Well I got a call from Epson today.... In order to do the exchange, they needed to put a hold of ~$2200 on my credit card. No problem, right?
Except the card apparently got turned down. So I called the credit card company, they said the transaction was flagged by the fraud department as a potential fraud. I told them it was legitimate, they said that I would have to get Epson to call in for a manual authorization. So I called Epson back... but no, they're not allowed to do a manual authorization. So they're going to wait until tomorrow to try the card again and if that doesn't work they will have to "escalate" the problem.

Thanks a lot, Epson.

This isn't Epson's fault...this is your bank's fault(if you can call it a fault).

I've had this happen to me as well and I'm glad that they are looking out for me like that. I called in to explain and they took off the flag and put the charge through immediately. The second you called in to tell them that it was "legit" they should've taken off the flag and put the charge through. YOU are the customer and it is YOUR money...not epson. Epson shouldn't have to do anything with your bank other than charge your CC.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Lamp Powerlite Hc 6100 Hc6500ub
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page