Official Epson 7500UB owner's thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 354 Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I wouldn't need to buy a DVDO or Lumagen processor to do the V stretch. That sounds like a major plus. Is it a discrete one button push feature? Does the Epson do a good job of it? I don't recall seeing any feedback on the quality of this feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 354 Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezmid View Post

I've seen many people state that Epson uses the "cream of the crop" LCD panels for the 7500UB as well, and that the rest of them go to the 6500UB line. Not sure if that's true or not though.

Having seen a manufacturing process or two....

I think that is more likely to be marketing speak and wishful thinking.

I have no information to the contrary, but like I said I have been around a number of manufacturing processes... and while this is certainly possible... not sure how probable it is.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #93 of 354 Old 01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The scaling simply means that when playing a movie (e.g., on
Blu
-ray) that has a recorded image with a 2.35 or 2.40 aspect ratio (i.e, a
cinemascope
) and that has black bars at the top and bottom, the projector's video processor can vertically stretch the image by a factor of 1.33. This means the black bars at the top and bottom are no longer being displayed but the everything in the projected image appear 33% too tall as compared to their width. Then when you add an external anamorphic lens it will
stetch
the image horizontal by a factor of 1.33 which restores the overall aspect ratio of the displayed image to what it should be. This allows you use a 2.35 or 2.40 aspect ratio screen instead of the HD standard 1.78 ratio screen. However, when watching normal HDTV material (i.e., without using the
peojector's
vertical stretch and without using the anamorphic lens) that is recorded in 1.78 ratio (i.e., 16 x 9 material) you will now have vertical black bars on the right and left sides of the screen.

precisely

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #94 of 354 Old 01-05-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Personally I have "poo poo'd" the whole "I need a 2.35" screen for the last several years. My attitude in the past has been that as I am using a 135" 1.78 screen that someone would need at least a 155" 2.35 screen just to see the same image I currently have.... so why the heck bother.

I do realize that some folks are "height" limited in their theaters and 2.35 may actually work better for them.

I also realize that some folks seem to have major "issues" with black bars... but if the image size is the same... who cares... well apparently some folks do! :-) Of course then those same folks have to deal with black bars on the sides whenever they watch either HDTV or SDTV.

The solution for some is to be able to mask the unused portions of the screen... but for me it has always seemed a little "silly" to be that concerned about black bars when you are watching a movie in basically a black room... ?? :-) To me it was always image size that mattered... that is what gave "me" the Theater Experience.

It was only recently when someone gave me a reason that I really could understand. That is that the "movie" experience should be the real "wow" factor.... and in my theater the "TV" picture is actually bigger and more impressive than the "movie" image. To be able to psychologically give movies the extra "wow" they deserve... you need to have your movie image... bigger than your TV image! This is the first reason justifying 2.35 that actually made sense... at least to me.

However, as I watch 60% HDTV, 10% Xbox, & 20% movies... it is not really as big an issue as it would be for someone that used their projector for mainly movies... I am so silly I use mine to watch the evening news!

As always .... YMMV

post #95 of 354 Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM

I have received my 7500UB, picture out of the box is great. Packaging of the unit was superb, it was triple boxed here in Canada. At first glance I have zero stuck or dead pixels, convergence is spot on and the settings out of the box are very nice. I had a 1080UB on loan from the dealer until the 7500 arrived, and the pop and wow factor is greater on the 7500 for sure. That of course could be due to the new bulb etc, but I am very pleased. I have it at approximately a 14 foot throw on to a 100 inch diagonal Stewart Firehawk G3 screen. I have played around a bit with the settings, nothing cast in stone yet but everything looks very good.
post #96 of 354 Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedit View Post

I have received my 7500UB, picture out of the box is great. Packaging of the unit was superb, it was triple boxed here in Canada. At first glance I have zero stuck or dead pixels, convergence is spot on and the settings out of the box are very nice. I had a 1080UB on loan from the dealer until the 7500 arrived, and the pop and wow factor is greater on the 7500 for sure. That of course could be due to the new bulb etc, but I am very pleased. I have it at approximately a 14 foot throw on to a 100 inch diagonal Stewart Firehawk G3 screen. I have played around a bit with the settings, nothing cast in stone yet but everything looks very good.

Canada? Ok, you're the perfect person to tell me how hockey looks using the 120hz mode - I have a Samsung LCD with a 120hz mode, and while I don't like it for movies or most TV shows, I think it's a great improvement when watching hockey and football.

I have the 7500 on order, to replace a 1080UB, so you're a great candidate to feed my curiosity while I wait!
post #97 of 354 Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi Mike , Being a fellow local Canuck I'd be interested in where you shopped and how well you did . Would you be willing to drop me a PM with some details ? (we shouldn't post pricing in the Forum)

Scott....................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #98 of 354 Old 01-08-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:

How does it look on the Firehawk G3? Do you watch with any ambient light? I am leaning toward the Firehawk with the Eps 7500...I'm curious to see what you think, especially if you watch in any ambient light.

thanks!!
post #99 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

The 7500UB in cinema day mode can more than handle ambient light, probably better than any other projector out there IMO. I'm watching it on a 110" 1.0gain vutec screen, the screen has plenty of punch.

Aceman
post #100 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post

How does it look on the Firehawk G3? Do you watch with any ambient light? I am leaning toward the Firehawk with the Eps 7500...I'm curious to see what you think, especially if you watch in any ambient light.

thanks!!

Screen looks good to me, I do have light control in my room but have watched with the lights turned up just a bit. Very pleased so far.
post #101 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Placed my order yesterday and will hopefully have it installed in a week or so. Can't wait!
post #102 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine should he in hand Tuesday....
post #103 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Has anyone recieved a 7500 yet. I have recieved a call from my dealer who I ordered one and he has told me that Epson has stop shipping the 7500 and 6500 due to a problem with the focus ring locking up. I called EPSON and confirmed. Espson advised that they hope to start shipping within the next 30 days. Any one with this problem?
post #104 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrb57 View Post

Has anyone recieved a 7500 yet. I have recieved a call from my dealer who I ordered one and he has told me that Epson has stop shipping the 7500 and 6500 due to a problem with the focus ring locking up. I called EPSON and confirmed. Espson advised that they hope to start shipping within the next 30 days. Any one with this problem?

Well, my understanding is they started shipping this week....I have a tracking number for mine, so I hope it's not a bum unit!
post #105 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Well, my understanding is they started shipping this week....I have a tracking number for mine, so I hope it's not a bum unit!

I have mine, no problems with the focus ring.
post #106 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Any comments from owners about their impressions of the FI on this unit?
post #107 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM

Glad you dont have any problems. Big enough problem to hold up production. you may have to deal with warranty if any problems. I also asked about frame creation they said no plans to fix the problems reported by most review sites. Thrang is it a track number from epson becasue they told me they havent shipped a unit for at least a week. Might be from your dealer fedex.
post #108 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:

I met with a dealer today he said they would have it in 7-10 days from the day I order. I am hoping to have all my ducks in a row to pull the trigger this monday! I wish I could wake up tomorrow and have it installed!
post #109 of 354 Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post

The 7500UB in cinema day mode can more than handle ambient light, probably better than any other projector out there IMO. I'm watching it on a 110" 1.0gain vutec screen, the screen has plenty of punch.

Aceman

Awesome news! I am going to order on monday and hope to have everything set up by the super bowl!
post #110 of 354 Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

I've ordered my 7500 and should be receiving it in the next week or two once my dealer gets it in. He'll be doing the installation in my theater so my question is what sort of things should I be looking for to make sure everything is working fine. The focus ring issue has me worried, but as long as it's setup and focused the first time, the ring shouldn't need to be touched again after that right?

Anything else I should be specifically looking for once it's installed, besides an awesome picture?
post #111 of 354 Old 01-11-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad you dont have any problems. Big enough problem to hold up production. you may have to deal with warranty if any problems. I also asked about frame creation they said no plans to fix the problems reported by most review sites. Thrang is it a track number from epson becasue they told me they havent shipped a unit for at least a week. Might be from your dealer fedex.

Shipped from Epson last Friday.....it was ordered before Christmas and was delayed for some unknown reason until last Friday...
post #112 of 354 Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM

I hope you get yours. I ordered mine on the 31st and still dont have any delivery date. My dealer called epson on Friday and they told him no ship dates until the focus ring issue is fixed. Maybe i should pony up and get the new JVC.
post #113 of 354 Old 01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope you get yours. I ordered mine on the 31st and still dont have any delivery date. My dealer called epson on Friday and they told him no ship dates until the focus ring issue is fixed. Maybe i should pony up and get the new JVC.

Well, I have a tracking number and it's in transit.

I am ordering as an employee accommodation - I couldn't seem to get it released until I made a few phone calls (even as late as last Wednesday I was being told no ETA, then when I rumbled, I suddenly had a ship date the following day) - So maybe the fixed units are shipping in some allocation sequence, and I squeaked my wheel and got my release date moved up...

I hope.
post #114 of 354 Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Just talked with my dealer who said his Epson rep confirmed that the 7500UB that is in stock is working fine. I'm set to have it installed on Monday. Can't wait!
post #115 of 354 Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I just spoke with an Epson rep - all units shipping from 1/9/09 onward are the corrected versions, with the potential focus ring lockup corrected.

Mine shipped 1/9/09
post #116 of 354 Old 01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted this in the tweaks thread, but though I'd ask here:

How do you LOAD the ISF Settings from memory? They are all greyed out when I try to load them - I've tried the Cinema Night, HD, and Xvc modes...I can't seem to see anything in the manual.

I assume I'm missing something quite simple, but....

I'm presuming those memory settings are pre-calibrated, as opposed to blank slots! Or no?
post #117 of 354 Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems Epson went backwards in one regard - there are no longer discrete on/off codes with the 7500. My programmable remote used discrete on/off for my prior 1080UB, but the power on and power off macro's don't work. The 7500 remote only has a toggle power button. I tried the 1080 UB remote with the 7500 - the power button toggles, but the discrete off button does nothing. So unless there is a discrete code that is undocumented, this is a small bummer.

Maybe I'll contact Epson to see if there is a master IR database - it would be great to have direct access to a number of settings, such as interpolation level, preset memory positions, etc., (if they've buried this discrete capability in the firmware). But why they removed the discrete power is a mystery. Power off is actually two presses of the power button.
post #118 of 354 Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It seems Epson went backwards in one regard - there are no longer discrete on/off codes with the 7500. My programmable remote used discrete on/off for my prior 1080UB, but the power on and power off macro's don't work. The 7500 remote only has a toggle power button. I tried the 1080 UB remote with the 7500 - the power button toggles, but the discrete off button does nothing. So unless there is a discrete code that is undocumented, this is a small bummer.

Maybe I'll contact Epson to see if there is a master IR database - it would be great to have direct access to a number of settings, such as interpolation level, preset memory positions, etc., (if they've buried this discrete capability in the firmware). But why they removed the discrete power is a mystery. Power off is actually two presses of the power button.

That's how it is with my Panny AE700. It's a minor annoyance, but I just set up a menu in my remote that asks "Do you want to turn the projector on?" (or off when shutting down). Kludgy, but it works.

If you find the codes, let us know!
post #119 of 354 Old 01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thrang..........

Sorry to report that the "ISF" day and night memory are NOT pre-calibrated... they are simply two additional memory slots that can ONLY be accessed by an ISF trained calibrator who can obtain the codes to activate the slots.

Many folks are confused (purposely by the marketing folks in my humble opinion) thinking that the ISF "certification" that comes with the 7500 is a "calibration." It simply means that the 7500 has been certified by the Imaging and Science Foundation to have the "capability" of being calibrated to ISF standards.

Quote:

I posted this in the tweaks thread, but though I'd ask here:

How do you LOAD the ISF Settings from memory? They are all greyed out when I try to load them - I've tried the Cinema Night, HD, and Xvc modes...I can't seem to see anything in the manual.

I assume I'm missing something quite simple, but....

I'm presuming those memory settings are pre-calibrated, as opposed to blank slots! Or no?

post #120 of 354 Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Thrang..........

Sorry to report that the "ISF" day and night memory are NOT pre-calibrated... they are simply two additional memory slots that can ONLY be accessed by an ISF trained calibrator who can obtain the codes to activate the slots.

Many folks are confused (purposely by the marketing folks in my humble opinion) thinking that the ISF "certification" that comes with the 7500 is a "calibration." It simply means that the 7500 has been certified by the Imaging and Science Foundation to have the "capability" of being calibrated to ISF standards.

where does one obtain codes, and what's the interface to enter them?

I WORK for an epson reseller and we've been provided no
such documentation in this regard. And you save directly into an isf memory slot with no warning....

Thanks
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page