Official Epson 7500UB owner's thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 354 Old 02-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my 7500 for a little over a week now. I have only calibrated it myself(having an ISF certified tech come in 2 weeks)... But I wanted to recommend watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on it. The last 20 minutes of the movie with the climatic fight scenes were absolutely amazing. I could not believe the detail that I missed before owning the 7500. The special effects during the final fight between Dumbledoor and Voldemort were nothing short of pooping my pants.

I only wish I had more hours in the day to enjoy this projector!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 354 Old 02-08-2009, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have had the 7500ub for about a week now and I just noticed something that I can't believe I didn't notice before. I noticed a bright light coming from the exhaust vent on the front of the projector. I never noticed it before, but I was watching a movie last night and before the movie started, there is a black screen and I noticed a light shining on the wall to my left. I wondered where the light was coming from and it was coming from out of the front vents. Is this normal? I can't image light coming out of the projector like this especially when you are trying so hard to eliminate any light other than the light from the lens from coming on in the room. Anybody else notice this or do I have something wrong with the epson?
post #183 of 354 Old 02-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post

I have had the 7500ub for about a week now and I just noticed something that I can't believe I didn't notice before. I noticed a bright light coming from the exhaust vent on the front of the projector. I never noticed it before, but I was watching a movie last night and before the movie started, there is a black screen and I noticed a light shining on the wall to my left. I wondered where the light was coming from and it was coming from out of the front vents. Is this normal? I can't image light coming out of the projector like this especially when you are trying so hard to eliminate any light other than the light from the lens from coming on in the room. Anybody else notice this or do I have something wrong with the epson?

Mine does that too -- not a very sealed light path.... I don't notice it at all, but the area to the left of the pj is completely open so that helps.
post #184 of 354 Old 02-08-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezmid View Post

Mine does that too -- not a very sealed light path.... I don't notice it at all, but the area to the left of the pj is completely open so that helps.

Thanks fezmid for the response. I got a little worried there. Does seem odd doesn't it not to have a completely sealed light path.
post #185 of 354 Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

It may have been posted already and too tired to read the entire thread but there should be a firmware upgrade near the end of this month for the FI.

My understanding is that the new batch coming near the end of February will have the fix on it and there will also be a firmware upgrade to download.

If the word is already out .... sorry bout wasting your time.
post #186 of 354 Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Mandarax, if possible could you let us know where your got your information from. Are you sure that one will be able to download the new firmware and do the upgrade without sending the unit in.
post #187 of 354 Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

We are an Epson dealer who has been trying to get resolution and lobbying to get this done. Certainly won't be giving names but I if I didnt trust the information given I wouldnt post it. Have I been disappointed before? Absolutely.. )

As far as doing the upgrade without sending in the unit, I was told that it wouldnt be necessary to send the unit in but your dealer should be able to assist if you are unable to do it. Don't wish to speak about each dealer as there really isnt much margin in this stuff and I wouldnt blame a dealer if they did charge for updating for a customer.

If one was motivated for the FI use on the projector they certainly could wait and see as it is not that far into the future. Personally I don't have much use for FI as I just watch movies at 24fps when I get a chance. I recently tho fired up Call of Duty game from my laptop and tried the FI with the game and did see where it could be fun to tinker with different frame rates. I suck at this game but I did enjoy seeing all the detail on 1080P on a ten foot wide screen. I try and knife everyone ) so I tend to die quickly and can only take seeing my death in very short tenure spurts and only usually fire it up when a customer wants to see what a game looks like on the projector. If I had the choice of watching my death in a game or watching MAMA MIA with my daughters I would personally prefer the game route but dont tell my daughters that.

In any event the post was meant as a heads up to those that have the projector and want to use FI and for those that are thinking about it. Some common sense will tell you that the tech person from Epson we spoke to has likely been disappointed at times as well so to give up a name wouldnt really be fair as they are also just relaying the information they have been given. Sometimes people get over zeolous on time frames.

Epson has been excellent as far as I am concerned though when there is a problem to fess up and do everything possible to come up with a timely action compelling remedy. I recently purchased an LCD tv for a client from an unnamed manufacturer and it was only a 37" model and had a total of 9 stuck on blue pixels. This manufacturer stated that this was normal and argued for over an hour.
post #188 of 354 Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mandarax, thanks for the information it will really help many of us. I understand why you
should not post names. Do you think that the end user will be able to do the firmware upgrade at home? I spoke to the Epson people at CES and I do know that they are committed to resolving the issues reported.
post #189 of 354 Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I hope Epson keeps the aggressive FI, but is able to smooth out the pans and get rid of any tearing in ihe image with the FW upgrade. It would be nice if they could add a slightly less aggressive mode to the FI as well for live action movies. This "aggressive" FI is simply stunning with animation. I've always enjoyed some of the better animated movies, but now I'm in awe of the depth, clarity and detail that the FI exposes - I feel that the film look really helps live action movies and distracts from animation. Anyway, this is good news if Epson can come through.
post #190 of 354 Old 02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Rob....... nice to see you still about!

I may rat-you-out to my wife on MaMa Mia though.....!! :-)

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #191 of 354 Old 02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

hi dee ho Steve..ooo .. hopefully next year you can make it down to CES.
post #192 of 354 Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM

what are the set on the 7500ub like the 6500ub is theatre black 1/2 theatre, natural living room , dynamic i want to no if it is the some becouse i like the living room lamens 1,688 in the dynamic lamens 2,175 in theatre black 1 is 682 lamens /////// 2 is 623 lamens 6500ub from projector reviews site i do like the pro becouse it is black but if it is not the some i have to go with the 6500ub please help
post #193 of 354 Old 02-13-2009, 06:02 PM

no one no the settings on the epson 7500 dont you guys have one what is it i no the 6500 has theatre black1 /2 ,theatre,natural, living room ,dynamic come on guys what up
post #194 of 354 Old 02-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Any one have the same issue that I just noticed with my 7500ub? The problem I have just noticed is that when there is a scene change or when I start up the blu-ray player, there is usually a blank screen where there should be total darkness. On my 7500 the screen is not dark at all, it is almost a dark grey color, and towards the right top edge of the screen, there is a hint of a magenta color. Is this normal? If I put the AI on, when the screen calls for a blank screen, it is not as bad, but if the AI is off, it is really noticeable. It even happens when I hit the blank button on the remote. Anyone have this same issue or is this normal?
post #195 of 354 Old 02-15-2009, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Silver, you are reporting a hdmi/hdcp handshake issue with the 7500. The handshake is very slow on this unit. Others have reported it on the 6500. I think the blank screen without total darkness is normal but you might want to check out the hint of magenta color. I would also suggest that you call Epson and complain about the slow handshake. It could be fixed in a firmware update.
post #196 of 354 Old 02-15-2009, 12:03 PM

rwestley, thanks for the reply. I rechecked everything last night and there is definitely some color on the right upper corner where there should be no color at all. I also noticed a couple( 2 to be exact) of dead pixels. So I guess i am probably going to have to get this unit replaced. I just got it about 2 weeks ago. I did also notice that when I first got the pj, the AI wasn't making any noise when it was on, now after a few weeks I can hear it working now. My main concern is the fact that where there should be a black image, I am getting grey. When i turn my denon receiver on with no source the word denon is supposed to show on the screen with the word in white and a black background. With my old jvc hd100, the background was completely black and the word denon would show. Now with the epson 7500, the background is a light grey. Now if I put the AI on the background is a little darker, but no where near as black. I know that the jvc should have better black levels but I didn't realize that it would be this big of a difference. Maybe this is normal, i don't know. During a movie, the black scenes, like in the movie "dark night", batman's cape is really black, but the black bars on top and bottom are not real black.
post #197 of 354 Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Silver, what your are describing has nothing to do with black levels. I have not checked but thre may be a setting on the Epson for start up background color. I have tried disks test disks with blacks and there is no problem. You proved this to your self with the scenes in "Dark Night. As you said Batman's cape is really black and so are many other scenes in the movie.
post #198 of 354 Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Silver, what your are describing has nothing to do with black levels. I have not checked but thre may be a setting on the Epson for start up background color. I have tried disks test disks with blacks and there is no problem. You proved this to your self with the scenes in "Dark Night. As you said Batman's cape is really black and so are many other scenes in the movie.

That is what I was thinking. It was just kinda odd because I did notice that with my hd100, whenever there is a blank background, it would be totally black but with the 7500 it wasn't. I think youre right about the background setting. I am going to check into it. What is weird is that in my earlier post about there being a hint of magenta color on the top corner of the screen, I only noticed this being there after I input the settings from this forum to somewhat adjust the picture to a more accurate setting. I went to the "Natural" setting in the epson and just went from there inputting the different settings. I must have taken down the wrong settings or I must have misunderstood what settings to use or how to use them. So I went and reset all the settings, and after doing this, the color was still there in the upper corner. After I reset each individual screen setting one by one, the color seems to have disappeared, although not completely. I think I will have to get the projector checked out. It really seems that maybe the bulb was defective.
post #199 of 354 Old 02-16-2009, 04:09 PM

silver700 what are the settings on the epson 7500ub i would like to no please
post #200 of 354 Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 PM

The Auto Iris noise is starting to really annoy me. So I tried turning it off and on and comparing the difference. I can see little or no difference in:

1. Bright scenes
2. Dark scenes
3. In-contrasty scenes. For example, someone standing in front of a bright windows.

I just don't see much if any difference with the Auto Iris on or off. What exactly is this supposed to do?

I have a TW5800 (same as the 7500, I believe).
post #201 of 354 Old 02-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdDegree View Post

The Auto Iris noise is starting to really annoy me. So I tried turning it off and on and comparing the difference. I can see little or no difference in:

1. Bright scenes
2. Dark scenes
3. In-contrasty scenes. For example, someone standing in front of a bright windows.

I just don't see much if any difference with the Auto Iris on or off. What exactly is this supposed to do?

I have a TW5800 (same as the 7500, I believe).

My dealer just brought another 7500UB to my house, hoping it wouldn't have the auto iris noise issue. We set it up, fired it up, but it still made a low clicking sound -- almost like LFE, and a constant machine-gun type sound in most scenes. Sucks...

The auto iris makes the picture look slightly better, but to be honest -- it looks great without it, so the improvement would only be marginal. Epson needs to work on fixing the noise though -- it's unacceptable how loud it is.
post #202 of 354 Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel69 View Post

silver700 what are the settings on the epson 7500ub i would like to no please

nel69, here are the settings I got from dkuster's post in the 6500/7500 calibration and tweaks:

First, load the default settings for the "natural" color mode, turn 4:4, FI, and auto-iris all off, set color temp to 6500, and then change the following:

brightness: -1
Contrast: 0
color saturation: -10
tint: 0
skin tone: 0
lamp mode: low

In the advanced menu set:

gamma: 2.3

In advanced -> RGB set:

R Offset: 0
G Offset: 0
B Offset: 3
R Gain: -8
G Gain: 0
B Gain: 3

And under advanced -> RGBCMY set:

Hue Sat Brightness
R 7 -21 18
G 8 -31 31
B 11 -25 32
C 0 -15 17
M 6 -11 15
Y 5 -14 12
post #203 of 354 Old 02-16-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezmid View Post

My dealer just brought another 7500UB to my house, hoping it wouldn't have the auto iris noise issue. We set it up, fired it up, but it still made a low clicking sound -- almost like LFE, and a constant machine-gun type sound in most scenes. Sucks...

The auto iris makes the picture look slightly better, but to be honest -- it looks great without it, so the improvement would only be marginal. Epson needs to work on fixing the noise though -- it's unacceptable how loud it is.

Mine was quiet right out of the box, but after i mounted it from the ceiling, after about a week it started to make noise. I think it has something to do with the mounting.
post #204 of 354 Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm thinking about a 6500 or 7500 purchase and have tried to find an informed description of these two picture adjustment differences stated on Epson's web site:

1. Color isolation feature for easy adjustments
2. ISF calibration for customized viewing

I recognize that there are other differences but for now I am just interested in the two above. Can anyone enlighten me on these?

Jack
post #205 of 354 Old 02-17-2009, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
yeah. The IRIS does annoy me alot. I also have it ceiling mounted. I wonder if this is a defect or considered normal? People that don't hear it are either partially deaf, have the projector on a table top, or have the projector at least 10 feet away from their sitting position. The IRIS does help a little, but the picture without it is still damn good.

What makes me angry is that I paid for a projector that should have a proper working IRIS, instead I get something that sounds like a machine gun being fired throughout the movie. Anyone try spraying some WD 40 into the bastard to see if it would quit down Seriously, it sounds like it needs some lube or something. My Sony Pearl had an auto IRIS and it was dead silent. I wonder whats wrong with the Epson one?
post #206 of 354 Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Two other differences between the 6500 and 7500 are the color of the case and the ability to go to 2.35x1 without an additional lens. The 7500 also comes with an extra lamp and a mount. It has a 3 year warranty vs two for the 6500.
post #207 of 354 Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I understand the other differences. The question is still what do these two features on the 7500 only mean:

1. Color isolation feature for easy adjustments
2. ISF calibration for customized viewing

Jack
post #208 of 354 Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

There are special settings that only an ISF certified calibrator can use. This model was as you is sold only by pro dealers and installers. These ISF settings according to Kevin Miller of ISA provide for more accurate calibration.
post #209 of 354 Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver700 View Post

Mine was quiet right out of the box, but after i mounted it from the ceiling, after about a week it started to make noise. I think it has something to do with the mounting.

My dealer brought a new one and we just set it on one of my recliners -- still heard the noise, so it's not a mounting issue. We were standing 4-5' away, and it was still annoying.
post #210 of 354 Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

the ability to go to 2.35x1 without an additional lens.

???

My understanding is that it simply has the stretch setting that "works with" an anamorphic lens, which the 6500 does not have.

It does not have the lens zoom/focus memory trick that is on the new AE3K.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page