AVS Forum banner

Official Epson 7500UB owner's thread

56K views 352 replies 93 participants last post by  Hagfish 
#1 ·
Well,

Got my xmas gift a day early. Haven't had much time to play w/ it yet but early impressionss are very good. The unit is substantially larger than the last Pro Cinema's btw. Will post more observations shortly.

Aceman

#2 ·
Hurry, thinking about getting this

#4 ·
The latest official updated Epson 7500ub brochure is attached in PDF format.

Due to upload size constraints I broke it down by pages - 123, 56, 78, and 4.

As you will see it has many features not available on the slightly less expensive 6500 "mailorder" consumer model.

Epson_Pro7500UB_Specs.123.pdf 338.236328125k . file

Epson_Pro7500UB_Specs.56.pdf 472.8212890625k . file

Epson_Pro7500UB_Specs.78.pdf 466.056640625k . file

Epson_Pro7500UB_Specs.4.pdf 324.3037109375k . file

Attachments

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Master /forum/post/15379167

The latest official updated Epson 7500ub brochure is attached in PDF format.

Due to upload size constraints I broke it down by pages - 123, 56, 78, and 4.

As you will see it has many features not avalable on the slightly less expensive 6500 "mailorder" consumer model.

I think you mean the "substantially less expensive".

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman /forum/post/15382078

Is not noisy - haven't heard it yet.

Maybe that's because it's disabled by default?

I posted my first impressions in the 6500UB thread, as I thought (incorrectly) that the TW5000 was the equivalent of that pj. These are all first impressions based on fooling around with the pj for 20 minutes or so.

1) Man, the iris is loud and annoying. It makes a sound like a PC's hard disc constantly seeking, that soft rattling sound. And it won't stay still either; I was browsing the pj's menu tree with PS3's XMB (black) in the background and the iris was rattling on all the time like a machine gun. I could hear it from 6 feet away, while standing next to a first-revision PS3. (Note that during all this I did not have my audio system on at all.)

2) Blackest black is not very black, with or without DI. With DI disabled the gray rectangle was surprisingly visible on my gain 1.0 white screen. DI darkened it down somewhat, but the rectangle was still easily visible. It took the DI a while to darken things down, too. Using the fantastic AVS pattern Blu-ray and going from full black to full white was quite a sight: as the full white appears, the DI goes nuts and the image takes a couple of seconds to fully brighten up. White visibly changes hue as it gets brighter.

3) Pj defaults to "HD" color mode, with DI off, color saturation down by -3 and some Noise reduction applied. Interpolation is also disabled by default, but 4-4 pull-down is enabled.

4) TW5000 passed the infamous Hammock test clip with flying colors (har har). No posterization/banding of skin tones here.

5) Motion resolution with interpolation: approx. 600 lines.

6) Interpolation offers three strengths: Low, Normal and High. I use Sahara Blu-ray to verify pan smoothness, and all three looked pretty much identical, i.e. smooth as butter -- but with several nasty glitches during the credits pass. Interpolation also caused visible glitches in motion resolution test clips. I preferred the look of the 4-4 pull-down which stutters ever so slightly, but looks more film-like and more natural than interpolated footage. There were a couple of glitches during the Sahara credit sequence with 4-4 pull-down as well.

7) Interpolation cannot be enabled if 4-4 pull-down is enabled and vice-versa.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/15382833

Art at www.Projectorreviews.com (see his Blog) was able to enable 4:4 and interpolation at the same time with the 6500 so maybe there's a difference between these projectors.

I read Art's blog and what he describes sounds more like a bug in the GUI software, i.e. the 4:4 isn't actually enabled as the option goes grey.

#15 ·
I have the 6500. Auto-iris is so quiet on mine that I was starting to think that it wasn't working....once I got my ear within 1 foot of the bottom of the pj hung above me, I could hear it lightly when I enabled or disabled it....so I confirmed it was working. Now, I do have a light background white noise from a wet bar fridge....but, this thing is still quiet relative to anything I experienced on DI before. My old Epson TW-700 (basicly the Home Cinema 720) was way louder...like 10x.

I have been watching for 17 hours now and never heard it until I got real close to it and listened for it with now audio in my rooom....(and in my recent physical I was claimed to have phenomenal hearing :)

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/15379438

I think you mean the "substantially less expensive".

No - I said "slightly less expensive" but as an intelligent purchaser of any product you have to consider all that you are getting in the "deal."

In addition to the additional ISF and calibration features in the 7500 it also comes with an extra lamp ($395), a custom ceiling mounting bracket ($275) and an additional year (three years total) on the warranty (worth about $300). So the hard extras that come with the 7500 that are not included with the 6500 add up to nearly $1000. Based on the list price differences, the 7500 is a better deal than the 6500 since you are getting the ISF system enhancements for nearly free and you will not be able to have those installed in the 6500 later.

One last difference that was discussed in the 6500/7500 pre-owners thread is that the 7500, which is a "pro" not consumer model is given, according to the Epson factory rep in our territory, the top 2% "pick-of-the-litter" LCD panel assemblies. The rest that pass inspection go to the consumer models.

At standard pricing the 7500 with its extras is a better deal than the 6500 and you might even get a trade-in discount on it from a local Epson Pro Projector dealer. There is also a direct Epson mail-in $200 rebate on the 7500 model.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon Master /forum/post/15388961

No - I said "slightly less expensive" but as an intelligent purchaser of any product you have to consider all that you are getting in the "deal."

In addition to the additional ISF and calibration features in the 7500 it also comes with an extra lamp ($395), a custom ceiling mounting bracket ($275) and an additional year (three years total) on the warranty (worth about $300). So the hard extras that come with the 7500 that are not included with the 6500 add up to nearly $1000. Based on the list price differences, the 7500 is a better deal than the 6500 since you are getting the ISF system enhancements for nearly free and you will not be able to have those installed in the 6500 later.

One last difference that was discussed in the 6500/7500 pre-owners thread is that the 7500, which is a "pro" not consumer model is given, according to the Epson factory rep in our territory, the top 2% "pick-of-the-litter" LCD panel assemblies. The rest that pass inspection go to the consumer models.

At standard pricing the 7500 with its extras is a better deal than the 6500 and you might even get a trade-in discount on it from a local Epson Pro Projector dealer. There is also a direct Epson mail-in $200 rebate on the 7500 model.

That's fine if you actually keep the projector for 3 or 4 years. Many here upgrade every 12 to 18 months so the difference between the 7500 and 6500 on resale will probably be in the neighbourhood of around $150 to $250. Like a used car all the extras become relatively worthless on resale. There's also a $300 (two rebates) on the 6500 on the www.epson.ca site.

#19 ·
My local dealer sells the pro epson models and he told me that it would be a 300 mail in rebate on the 7500UB, now reading the fine print and not getting into prices. Would asking my dealer to take something of the top void the full rebate, since it says that something about paying less the then specified amount blahblahblah.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/15389307

That's fine if you actually keep the projector for 3 or 4 years. Many here upgrade every 12 to 18 months so the difference between the 7500 and 6500 on resale will probably be in the neighbourhood of around $150 to $250. Like a used car all the extras become relatively worthless on resale. There's also a $300 (two rebates) on the 6500 on the www.epson.ca site.

At 12 to 18 months your original lamp may need to be replaced depending on usage so out of your own pocket you will have to spring for $400 before you go to sell the 6500 or the buyer will have to spring for that. Either way that devalues the 6500 versus the 7500 by $400 when you go to sell it. Then the 7500 will have two or so years left on the warranty and the 6500's will practically be done. That further shoots down the value of the 6500 relative to the 7500 as a used unit. Then you have the ceiling bracket to consider too. If your buyer needs that it too will have a $200 add-on value to the sale price. So a year to 18 months from now the 7500 will easily be worth $500 to $700 more than the 6500.

Of course it a great, high lumen Laser based projector comers out in that time frame and sells for $3000 or less then all bets or off and every projector out today will be essentially worthless. Same will be true if Epson comes out with a 8500LED (with emphasis on the LED) with 1600 plus lumens. Then our old units won't be worth squat on the used market.

I'll hunt up the 7500 rebate form and post it if I can find it.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractk /forum/post/15389658

My local dealer sells the pro epson models and he told me that it would be a 300 mail in rebate on the 7500UB, now reading the fine print and not getting into prices. Would asking my dealer to take something of the top void the full rebate, since it says that something about paying less the then specified amount blahblahblah.

If he will play ball then he should be able to give you a separate trade-in, cash or package deal discount. I'll leave the rest up to you and "him" to figure out.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman /forum/post/15377240

Well,

Got my xmas gift a day early. Haven't had much time to play w/ it yet but early impressionss are very good. The unit is substantially larger than the last Pro Cinema's btw. Will post more observations shortly.

Aceman

Love to hear how the Fine Frame works for high def sports, especially hockey or football. I have one an order to replace my 1080UB, and the 120 hz mode for sports is one of the main reasons for the upgrade...

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandob /forum/post/15392927

Icon Master,

You used to be a fan of the Canon SX50/60 projectors. Have you compared the new Epson to these older Canons? Any comments on what improvements you see?

Also, have you compared the new JVC range (RS10/20)?

Deandob - Good to see you are still out there kickin' around in the outback.

I still have my Canon SX60 but took it down over a year ago and replaced it with a Epson 1080ub. I use the Canon as a portable for our local Mac user group meetings. It is still a very good, sharp and bright unit - great especially for "lights on" presentations at the meeting room our club uses. The room has a relatively small screen that motors down from the ceiling. Instead of using it I have opted to use an off white wall as the screen and this is where the SX60 shines. Besides the abundant lumens it has, this unit has an auto-calibration mode that sends out a video signal that bounces back to a sensor inside the projector which in an instant calibrates the RGB outputs to compensate for the color of the wall. The scheme really does work too!

The Epson 1080ub is an extraordinary projector. Even handling the digital output of the Mac, I have never seen text diplayed as sharply on a big screen. The SX50/60 are 720p essentially and the 1080p output of the Epson does show up in additional sharpness. Of course it having the newest inorganic C2fine LCD panels gives it a far higher CR ratio so video does look deeper and sharper than with the Canons. Up very close you can discern the pixel lines on the Epson more than on the Canon with its LCOS system but since the Epson is 1080p, the pixels lines are so small you simply do not see the screen door effect unless you are literally at the screen.

I should have the 7500 on Monday and will see how it stacks up to the 1080ub. I do not expect an earth shaking difference between the two Epsons. I do apprectie the fact that Epson even has a better warranty than Canon. Canon has a three year warranty but you have to send the unit to them at your expense and wait for them to fix it. This can take weeks. The Epson Pro models have a three year warranty too but they will send you a replacement in 48 hours. I have had no problem with the Epson but I had to send my Canon back twice and they really never could get the unit working correctly. I was highly disappointed in the qualty of Canon's projector repair group. I finally got the sales department to send me their own demo SX60 unit when Canon service proved unable to fix my unit correctly. I do not think this will be an issue with Epson since they are more of a force in the projector market. Canon treats their projectors as an after thought which is too bad. They have a great concept with high lumen LCOS units but they really never improved on their Realis scheme and remain stuck with a 1000:1 CR ratio which is OK for business but not for today's home theater.

I did some work for a client who had a JVC RS2. I can say candidly that I was not very impressed with it compared to my Epson Pro 1080ub. Even with the smaller screen he had - about 6 foot diagonal - my Epson 1080ub blows it away on my 10 foot diagonal StudioTek 130 screen. The Epson is way brighter and just as sharp. Color is equally intense and deep on the Epson too. All things being nearly equal the Epson costs less and provides more lumens. I have not seen an RS10/20 so I cannot comment on those beyond the fact that they are rated at nearly half the lumens and still cost twice as much as the 7500ub.

Deandob - if you are still a member of the big and bright club then the Epson pro 1080p units are the way to go. You can, like with the Canon, still have some controlled ambient light in the room with the Epson. You won't have to live in a totally dark bat cave like you do with the considerably lower lumen JVC's and Sony's.

I will post my impressions on the 7500 sometime in the next week if it gets here hopefully in one piece and in working condition.

Icon Master

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.