Originally Posted by Aceman
Is not noisy - haven't heard it yet.
Maybe that's because it's disabled by default?
I posted my first impressions in the 6500UB thread, as I thought (incorrectly) that the TW5000 was the equivalent of that pj. These are all first impressions based on fooling around with the pj for 20 minutes or so.
1) Man, the iris is loud and annoying. It makes a sound like a PC's hard disc constantly seeking, that soft rattling sound. And it won't stay still either; I was browsing the pj's menu tree with PS3's XMB (black) in the background and the iris was rattling on all the time like a machine gun. I could hear it from 6 feet away, while standing next to a first-revision PS3. (Note that during all this I did not have my audio system on at all.)
2) Blackest black is not very black, with or without DI. With DI disabled the gray rectangle was surprisingly visible on my gain 1.0 white screen. DI darkened it down somewhat, but the rectangle was still easily visible. It took the DI a while to darken things down, too. Using the fantastic AVS pattern Blu-ray and going from full black to full white was quite a sight: as the full white appears, the DI goes nuts and the image takes a couple of seconds to fully brighten up. White visibly changes hue as it gets brighter.
3) Pj defaults to "HD" color mode, with DI off, color saturation down by -3 and some Noise reduction applied. Interpolation is also disabled by default, but 4-4 pull-down is enabled.
4) TW5000 passed the infamous Hammock test clip with flying colors (har har). No posterization/banding of skin tones here.
5) Motion resolution with interpolation: approx. 600 lines.
6) Interpolation offers three strengths: Low, Normal and High. I use Sahara Blu-ray to verify pan smoothness, and all three looked pretty much identical, i.e. smooth as butter -- but with several nasty glitches during the credits pass. Interpolation also caused visible glitches in motion resolution test clips. I preferred the look of the 4-4 pull-down which stutters ever so slightly, but looks more film-like and more natural than interpolated footage. There were a couple of glitches during the Sahara credit sequence with 4-4 pull-down as well.
7) Interpolation cannot be enabled if 4-4 pull-down is enabled and vice-versa.