New auditorium projector ideas - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at options for a new auditorium projector and could use some advice. We currently have an ancient (and dim/low res/flickery/4:3) CRT projector with a long throw lens mounted to the ceiling:

I want to upgrade to a modern (LCD/DLP/LCoS) 16:9 projector. It will be used primarily for scientific seminars (PowerPoint) and also for watching DVD's. 1080P or 720P native resolution would be ideal, and I need the following inputs: 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, 1x Component, 1x S-Video. It should also have a rear remote input/control cable so it can be managed from the control room.

Mounting will be an issue. If I use the existing mount, I need a long throw lens or the image will extend several inches above and below the screen. Alternatively, I can move the mount forward to the next beam and use a longer mount to lower the projector. That will angle the projector down ~30 degrees, but then a standard lens will work. We tested this arrangement with a Sony VPL-CX76 tabletop LCD projector and it had sufficient keystone correction to compensate for the 30 degree angle.

Any suggestions for a projector that will do the job? I'd like to keep costs down, but $3000+ shouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Different projectors have different zoom range and ratio. You need to let us know your screen size and distances from pj to screen (from the 2 beams). Brightness can be an issue as well depending on your screen size.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well you could pretty much put any digital in there and it will be substantially brighter than the CRT you have.

Can you let us know the throw, screen size (and ratio), how much ambient light will be in the room when it is being used, etc...?
post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I have the measurements:

Screen: 14 feet high x 24 feet wide (27.5' diagonal, 336 sq ft)

From current projector mount to screen: 37 feet

From next beam forward to screen: 29.5 feet

Lighting should not be an issue (turned down for talks and off for films). That Sony LCD projector I tested with is very bright in full lighting.

*Update*

Our current projector is a Mitsubishi X120A

I'm looking at the Sony VPL-HW10. It has the same ANSI brightness as my current projector (1000), but way better contrast (30,000 vs. 200)
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, that screen is bigger than it looks! The HW10 is not going to be bright enough as it doesn't really put out 1000 lumens. Of the current HT digitals, I would look at the Epson 6500UB for this application. Otherwise, you could look at some commercial / business widescreen projectors which will have lower contrast but higher brightness.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow. a CRT there???? I'm surprised you can even see the image

go to projectorcentral.com and look for projectors that are 5000 lumens or greater!

let me repeat

go to projectorcentral.com and look for projectors that are 5000 lumens or greater!

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...&dvi=-1&trig=1

I would look into Canon projectors. They have some very bright 3 chip units for cheap
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg View Post

Wow. a CRT there???? I'm surprised you can even see the image

let me repeat

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...&dvi=-1&trig=1

I would look into Canon projectors. They have some very bright 3 chip units for cheap

It's actually just a really crappy LCD projector (200:1 contrast ratio ) circa 1999.

I don't think I need anywhere near 5000 lumens... the Sony VPL-CX76 I tested (2500 lumens) was clearly visible from 37 feet with the house lights full up.

Here is another model I was looking at with 3600 lumens, but it's DLP (wobulation/color wheel RPM/rainbows ???) and lacks component video input:

Optoma TX1080

I'll read up on the Epson 6500UB. Can you get it in black?

*Update*

Also looking at this Panasonic PT-AE3000. Very similar specs to the Epson (60,000 vs. 75,000 contrast) but less expensive and has a black chassis. Oh, and it has power zoom/focus so no ladder required.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-20-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the Panny AE-3000, and it's absolutely amazing!

I've only tested it with the VGA input, but it fills the screen in 16:9, is plenty bright with the lights dimmed, and has wonderfully inky blacks in movies. Now I just need to mount this 40lb beast to the ceiling and run some HDMI and component cables to the control room.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page