dwin replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have customer with dwin dlp installed (with special round hdmi/dvi? cable run through ceiling from dwin scaler.) It has repeat problems and must be replaced. What would an equivalent be? Can cable be adapted?

Of course they can upgrade, but they will be upset to spend more when they had a perfectly fine image before.

(Or anyone know who can repair, dwin website just disappeared and the phone just rings)

Thanks

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Virtually anything purchased now would outperform that. But, what is the budget you are looking at?

As far as the cable...I trust it is the 2 part DVI cable that connects together with the round proprietary connector?
post #3 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Budget is zero, since they feel they bought a projector that should still be working. My question is really what is minimum to replace with comparable performance so they don't feel ripped off? Will an $800 model do? I can offer an upgrade at any price, but I am looking for baseline for comparison.

Yes it was round cable, but I don't remember cable having 2 parts. Projector had 2 parts, a transscannerish box and the pj.

Thanks
post #4 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Gottcha. Then you have to run a new cable unfortunately.

Generally any of the newer 1080p projectors will outperform the Dwin. Actually many of the still available 720p's would as well (most are LCD, but in many ways are still better).

All depends on price point.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 06:58 PM

I have a brand new, still in the box, unopened 40 foot Dwin cable. Bought it from AVS a while back when I was planning to pull it through the ceiling, but I was too lazy and just left my shorter cable that hung along the ceiling to my AV stack.

PM me if you're interested. Jason, any idea what that would have gone for? I probably have the records somewhere.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 07:01 PM

Or am I misunderstanding, is it the cable or the projector? If it's the projector, you could probably cut the cable and connect a new DVI connector on the end. Then you can get a DVI->HDMI adapter for either or both ends. The lack of audio shouldn't an an issue.

I got a very good deal on a Planar 7130 projector (720p) that I bought as a temp replacement because the JVC 750 wasn't shipping yet and I needed something on short notice for a family gathering, but I've been happy enough with it that I haven't bothered upgrading to the JVC yet.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The problem is the projector is dead and the cable he has run won't work with anything else so it requires running a new type of cable (HDMI most likely).

Unfortunately your cable cannot be cut and terminated. Hate to say it but if you aren't using a Dwin projector you should just chuck it.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 AM

LOL. I'm not looking to save a few bucks on a cable, I have a new HDMI cable and I'm just fine in that respect.

My comment was for the original poster, who has a Dwin cable in the ceiling that was wondering if he could repurpose it. Of course it can be cut and terminated. Not that it'll be easy or worth it, but it's just a DVI cable with a proprietary connector on one end. But of course you need to be careful about shielding etc. so you don't have RFI problems.

Or easier and less messy, have an electronics shop make a proprietary round->DVI converter or dongle made from a female instance of the round connector that Dwin uses.

Of course, if pulling a new cable is straightforward, then just pull a new HDMI cable (and use HDMI->DVI adapters if DVI is needed).
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No I understood...my point was you were offering to sell your cable, but that won't take care of his problem. Sorry if my post was confusing.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-13-2013, 03:19 PM

Do you by any chance still have that cable for Dwin?

Thank you

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dlahd750 200 Inches 1080p Front Projector Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page