Planar 8150 follow up impressions - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Just curious. How much will this new probe coupled with the spectroradiometer cost?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I yield to the pros.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #273 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Tom,

You didn't happen to measure the accuracy of lower color saturations during your calibration did you? (as those on the AVSHD disc, (saturation windows)) If so, how did they fare?

The out of the box performance on the unit you tested is fantastic, like you say. Wow.

Dan
post #274 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrahan View Post

I own a 8150 since July 2008. The on-off contrast is 11-12000/1 as measured by a professional calibrator. The numbers you are talking about ( 15000/1 or 17000/1) seem extraordinary. The only different between my model (July 2008) and the one you are talking about is the new firmware? No hardware changes since July 2008? And to be specific do i have to buy a new 8150, or a firmware update is enough?

Is there a chance to get an answer to the above, or am I asking things that are difficult to answer?
post #275 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

You didn't happen to measure the accuracy of lower color saturations during your calibration did you? (as those on the AVSHD disc, (saturation windows)) If so, how did they fare?

The out of the box performance on the unit you tested is fantastic, like you say. Wow.

No, I didn't have that much time to spend with the unit.

Tom Huffman
ChromaPure Software/AccuPel Video Signal Generators
ISF/THX Calibrations
Springfield, MO

post #276 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiblitz View Post

I can only second that: I ordered the Sim2 Lumis, it got measured and failed the specs signifacmtly with the T1 lens a loss of Ansi-CR down to 450 (34000 Euro machine). Than considered the HT3000e because of its Unishade-Lamp technolgy speced at 1200 lumens, measured in reality at 770 Lumen and 2700 CR, no Dynamic Iris (16000 Euro-Machine).

Now I learned from Brian that they use the same Osram-Technolgy (Uni-Shape) as Sim2 did and when you read the cine4home-review, the specs are better than Sim2 and that at a price point of 6500 Euro.

YOu can imagine how much I would love to see a 3chip 1008p Projector from Planar at 13000 Euro. That would be a killer-product and would be a break-through as we had a break-though years ago with the ruby.

do you have the link the Cine4home Planar 8150 I can't seem to find it

Its unfortunate that your Lumis did not meet specifications but not unusual. 3 chip dlp machine are an order of magnitude more difficult to produce in production and the non-telecentric design of the compact 3 chip SIM is even more difficult to produce consistently. I think the highest probability of getting the best performing DLP is to buy a single chip DLP with a DI and a Unishape lamp

The Planar 8150 in production may be the best DLP projector on the market and if consistency means anything as good or better than most of the 3 chips (outside of output power)on the market which will be delivered to the customer

The output power from the Osram lamp seems to be about 1/2 what it was a year or two ago. The Planar has about half the output of what I thought it would be and the later production Sims seem to going the same way.
post #277 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a chance to get an answer to the above, or am I asking things that are difficult to answer?

Check you firmware version in the menu. It's indicated by a string of numbers starting with that looks like mp01-##-##-##. If you have the latest firmware the string would start with mp18. According to the italian forum (posts like this one) updating the firmware on an existing projector improves the contrast.
post #278 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mlang. There is another single chip DLP machine coming with A DI and a DC4 chip. Be interesting to do a shootout. Course it would not really be that relevant because that machine will cost $3K more. It is dangerous for anyone to conclude best because best is subjective where multiple elements are involved. While each element could be measured, rhe weighting wiukd differ by judge.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #279 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Astrahan. Those are the numbers we got. They were what I expected.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #280 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
I noticed that the 8150 has a 3.5 mm mini jack described as "IR input for Niles/Xantech compatible IR repeater systems". Where can I buy a low cost IR receiver to connect to that jack?

Anyone have an answer? From my research, the Xantech and Niles solutions start at about $60 and go upwards from there. This seems rather ridiculous to pay that much a for a sensor that should only cost a few dollars.
post #281 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Astrahan. Those are the numbers we got. There were what I expected.

And thats with the latest firmware? Just because you got it recently doesn't guarantee it has latest firmware.
post #282 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bob. Are you referring to a trigger output on the Planer? Niles makes an IR repeater block which conects a variety of IR inputs into a power source for IR flashers. The niles also includes an input from a trigger and an voltage stable 12 v output from that input. They are especially usefull when dealing with low milliamp outputs found on the Sony projectors when trying to operate say a screen or screen masking requiring 100 or so milliamps and the Sony puts out only a few mils.

If you are talking an IR input for the projector. One would need both a sensor and the junction box and power supply to power the sensor and then the junction box which cordinarily would connect to a ir light(s) flasher except here the current is sent into a device to be controlled instead or becoming IR light that hits an integral IR sensor that isis part of that device. The sensor is expesive, say about $100 MSRP though the junction box with ps might be the simplest say at about $50.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #283 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Bob. Are you referring to a trigger output on the Planer?

I am not clear on exactly what the jack is intended for on the 8150, but my assumption is that the 3.5 mm jack is for connecting the output of an IR receiver to it to be used as an "extension" (or replacement) for the IR sensor that is mounted on the projector. That is, let's say that my projector was completely enclosed in a hush box and the only place for light to get in or out of the box was through the glass in front of the lens. In that scenario you could point the 8150's remote anywhere you wanted and you would never be able to control the 8150 because the IR sensor would never "see" the IR signal, just as if you had covered it with electrical tape. In that case, you would need to mount another sensor on the front of the hush box and somehow connect it to the 8150 in order to receive IR signals from the remote and therefore control the 8150. Is that what that 3.5 mm jack is for? And if so, what is the proper product to connect to the jack to get the job done? I have seen several products from Xantech and Niles that seem like they would work, but they are unnecessarily pricey. A simple battery powered IR receiver should do the trick just fine and cost only a few dollars, but I can't seem to find a product that I know will work. Here is a link to one of the Xantech products that I think would do the trick:

http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infr...Rcvrs/49030RP/

Will this work?
post #284 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

The short throw lense has always been a true replacement lense.

It has always been the case. Maybe the fact that you cannot purchase the projector with a short throw lense out-of-the-box is what made you not consider it? The short throw lense needs to be purchased separately at additional cost and you end up paying for a lense that you do not use (the regular lense).

Peter

This has certainly always kept me out of Planars customer list... very short-sighted, but then no one asked my opinion .

Quote:

Your dealer can handle it all. Its between him/her and you. You never have to see the standard throw lens if you don't want it.

But you are still required to pay for it whether you see it or not......

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #285 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Maybe the dealer would throw in the short throw lens. Several manufacturers MSRPs are different depending on which throw lens you order. The buh here is that the lens is detachable by the consumer. Maybe Planar should revise its pricing. $6K for the projector, no lens. $1K for the regular lens, $1.9K or whatever, for the short throw. Pay the old $8K price and get the short throw for free.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #286 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Maybe the dealer would throw in the short throw lens.Severa; manufacturers MSRPs are different depending on which throw lens you order. The buh here is that the lens is detachable by the consumer. Maybe Planar should revise its pring. $6K for the projector, no lens. $1K for the regular lens, $1.9K or whatever, for the short throw. Pay the old $8K price and get the short throw for free.

I have a RS20 and thus am not in the game. But it seems to me that Planar should just offer to let one choose which lens they want, same price for each. Why complicate things the way they have done it.
post #287 of 773 Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

This has certainly always kept me out of Planars customer list... very short-sighted, but then no one asked my opinion .

But you are still required to pay for it whether you see it or not......

It's another reason I went with an RS20 instead of any DLP. I have only 15 feet of throw distance, and the small 1.3:1 zoom ratio of the 8150 would limit the image size to 97" wide with the standard lens and 116" wide with the short lens. My RS20 will do 132" wide at 15 feet.
post #288 of 773 Old 04-25-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

Check you firmware version in the menu. It's indicated by a string of numbers starting with that looks like mp01-##-##-##. If you have the latest firmware the string would start with mp18. According to the italian forum (posts like this one) updating the firmware on an existing projector improves the contrast.

Thnx for your answer CADOBHuK.
I already updated to new version of firmware (MP18-GP15-0006-0001). My question is whether there are any hardware (not software) changes (light path, iris etc). Mine is a very early model and for a more detailed description for Planar staff which I hope they will reply my serial number is W810JRCP00032.
Since I have owned in the past many great projectors (Marantz S2, Sony Ruby, JVC HD-1) I believe Planar PD8150 is a fantastic piece of work and this is why my purpose is to make it better instead of buying a new one.
My next buy will again be a Planar but with motion flow

thnx again
post #289 of 773 Old 04-25-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe the dealer would throw in the short throw lens. Several manufacturers MSRPs are different depending on which throw lens you order. The buh here is that the lens is detachable by the consumer. Maybe Planar should revise its pricing. $6K for the projector, no lens. $1K for the regular lens, $1.9K or whatever, for the short throw. Pay the old $8K price and get the short throw for free.

Mark (IMHO) the street price on the projector should be the same irregardless of which lens you want... unless you want to have more than one lens.

Forcing a client to purchase multiple lenses is a marketing hold-over from the CRT days, where only a very small clientele needed/wanted a different throw lens than what was being produced for the business display market and (IMHO again) simply is not going to fly in a "larger" market. Your marketing plan costs the same as the current Planar marketing plan except the customer winds up with a single lens instead of two.

I would guess that Planar has not been able to purchase a high enough volume from whomsoever they are purchasing the light engine to demand a seperate sq# for a projector with the short throw lens.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #290 of 773 Old 04-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mlang. There is another single chip DLP machine coming with A DI and a DC4 chip, Be interesting to do a shootout. Course it would not really be that relevant because that machine will cost $3K more. It is dangerous for anyone to conclude best because best is subjective where multiple elements are involved. While each element could be measured, rhe weighting wiukd differ by judge.

Given some of the contrast specs on the DC4 machines I would be willing to pay 3k more especially if it had a motorized zoom and an adjustable iris. Any hints on when and who?

I am big on double blind tests with power output equalized to 16-20 ftlamberts. It would be fun to do a test with 10 unemployed people chosen at random in a double blind shoot out. they shouldn't be hard to find in this economy. Remember the wisdom of crowds rules.
post #291 of 773 Old 04-25-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not a hint.

Its the Samsung SP-A900B. MSRP $10K. Lens shift,zoom, focus all manual. Does have an adjustable iris and a DI you can switch on or off. On/off specified at 12,000.

I suspect the DI in the Planar is better than Samsung's implementation. I suspect the lens in the Samsung is better. You can google the specs. It will be an interesting comparison, but like I say the Samsung lists for $3K more.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #292 of 773 Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM

mark,

According to an article posted on TWICE two weeks ago (the 16th), Samsung introduced the A (A/V) Series models on the 15th of this month, to include the A400 ($999), A800 ($9,999) and the A900 at $12,999.

Is the MSRP of the A900 now $10K ???

http://www.twice.com/article/CA66520...dustryid=23099
post #293 of 773 Old 04-25-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

No.
post #294 of 773 Old 04-26-2009, 03:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Robert why would you post no? The Twice article is wrong on the price. The importer set a $10,000 MSRP price a few weeks ago and it continues unchanged. The lowering at that time of the SP A800B to $7k caused a complete sell out of the US stock of A800B. The A800B continues at $7K MSRP will more stock expected in May and the A900B coming in a very few weeks.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #295 of 773 Old 04-26-2009, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thnx for your answer CADOBHuK.
I already updated to new version of firmware (MP18-GP15-0006-0001). My question is whether there are any hardware (not software) changes (light path, iris etc). Mine is a very early model and for a more detailed description for Planar staff which I hope they will reply my serial number is W810JRCP00032.
Since I have owned in the past many great projectors (Marantz S2, Sony Ruby, JVC HD-1) I believe Planar PD8150 is a fantastic piece of work and this is why my purpose is to make it better instead of buying a new one.
My next buy will again be a Planar but with motion flow

thnx again

So even with the latest firmware you still only get 11-12k on/off ? That'd be weird since those italian forum members got 11k on the pd8130, and that would mean there's pretty much no difference between 30 and 50.
post #296 of 773 Old 04-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Well, one thing worth pointing out is that the short throw lense is fairly inexpensive. For us coming from the JVC camp, the long or short throw lense usually was $3,000 (G15), so it is a nice surprise that the lense for the Planar is below $1k. (What is the MSRP? I've heard ~ $800. Is this correct?)

Peter
post #297 of 773 Old 04-26-2009, 06:16 AM

Hi guys -

Quick question on the RS232 interface for the PD8150. Should I have a RS232 cable put in from my projector to my rack? If I understand correctly, this will allow me to control the projector with the RS232 connection, rather than through IR?

And if it is a good idea to put the RS232 cable in, is it DB9 or DB25 cable that I'll need?

I tried to figure this out from photos, but couldn't find any and it wasn't clear on Planar's site.

Thanks!

post #298 of 773 Old 04-26-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

db9 and it is intended for soft/firmware update process AFAIR don't know about controlling the projector.
post #299 of 773 Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bob. I looked at the manual. The IR in jack takes in the IR received by an IR sensor and converted by an IR junction box and power supply. Normally the output of the junction box is used to flash IR flashers. The most expensive part is the IR sensor which retails in the vacinity of $100. The junction box costs about $40 or $50.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #300 of 773 Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman View Post

I would have preferred to take a reading without the screen flooding light back into the room and experimented a little more with placement. On the other hand, Greg R. got 440:1, which suggests that my readng of 469:1 wasn't too far from the norm.

Fwiw, Darin was kind enough to let me borrow his 8150 for some contrast measurements and I measured 560:1 ANSI modified for a single center probe position. All I got to say is the 8150 is a great projector.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page