Planar 8150 follow up impressions - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 354
I haven't had any issues with rattles or vibration. The 8150 is a bit louder with 60Hz material as the color wheel speeds up but most of the time I am watching 24p material and that makes the projector pretty much inaudible during use. I don't even notice it in the quietest passages of a film.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What video calibration DVD is recommended these days? Years ago Avia and Colorfacts were recommended, but what about today?

I don't want to get into bit-twiddling, but I do want a natural and accurate 3D presentation.

Maybe recommend a kit with the photocell, and one without?
post #363 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 10:08 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks Kris. My case buzzing has just come back again.

Has anyone ceiling mounted this pj ? If so, which mount- anyone using the endorsed Premier ?
post #364 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate View Post

What video calibration DVD is recommended these days? Years ago Avia and Colorfacts were recommended, but what about today?

I don't want to get into bit-twiddling, but I do want a natural and accurate 3D presentation.

Maybe recommend a kit with the photocell, and one without?

The Spears and Munsil Blu-ray is outstanding for general setup without test gear measurement. Lots of intuitive test patterns and performance tests with a great explanation for each test. A must have IMHO.

If you are looking for something that includes calibration stuff take a peek at Calman. They have some bundles that are an incredible value for the enthuasist looking to get more involved in their setups for just a bit more than what a professional calibration would cost.

If you just need a disc to do a calibration with and already have the equipment, the AVCHD disc is a good one on Blu-ray, and its free on the CalMan website under downloads. Rip it to DVD and you're good to go.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #365 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs View Post

Thanks Kris. My case buzzing has just come back again.

Has anyone ceiling mounted this pj ? If so, which mount- anyone using the endorsed Premier ?

I just mounted mine this week using Chief RPA universal mount and the panamorph attachment plate. It's secure, but not to the level that makes it easy to do the proper adjustments (it's HEAVY w/ the solid steel panarmorph plate). So I sold my RPA this morning and am buying the Elite version. ALL that being said, if it were just the projector, the RPA Universal mount from Chief would work perfectly with the Planar. I've not experienced any of the issues you described.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #366 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks Kris. I don't have a BluRay drive, but I'll see if they have a DVD version.
post #367 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tausifs View Post

I'm using the Chief RPMA186 mount that is specfic to the Planar. Works great, and removing/hanging the projector is super easy: Unlock the mount (if you keep it locked with the supplied key), move the locking lever, and simply lift out the projector.

http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetai...ProductID=4756

One thing worth pointing out is that my mount shipped with the wrong size spacers - or too short screws. My unit came with 1/2" long spacers, but the screws were not long enough for this (they only screwed one turn into the threads before they were tight. Not enough to be secure). If Chief has not corrected this error, you need to pick up a set of four 1/4" long spacers from Lowe's Hardware. Lowe's carries the very same spacers in different lengths. This will run you an additional $2.50 so it's no biggie compared to the cost of the mount

Edit:

This seems to be a Chief design flaw!!!

http://downloads.chiefmfg.com/MANUALS-I/SLBSLM186-I.pdf

(4) Screw, Flat Head, Machine, M4 x 20mm
(4) Spacer, .500 x .194 x .500

0.5" spacers are too long for 20mm screws. A 0.5" long spacer removes 12.7mm. The interface plate removes ~2mm. So far so good. There's still about 5mm left. HOWEVER, the M4 metal threads start below the plastic shell (casing) of the PD8150, and this shell is around ~4mm thick. When the screw finally reaches the metal thread, all that is left of the 20 millimeters is ~1mm (0.05") which gives you approximately one turn before each of the four M4x20mm screws are tight. It would be very dangerous to hang the projector like this! Hanging by a thread - literally!

I reported this design flaw to Chief several months ago, but never heard back so they might have ignored me. Expect a trip to Lowe's to pick up four .500 x .194 x .250 (ODxIDxLength) nylon spacers. This is an easy and perfect fix for the problem. (With this fix, the screws will fully cover all the thread, but are still short enough not to damage the projector in any way).

Peter
post #368 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the answers. I think I will probably go with the Chief. I am using a vertical compression old Panamorph P752 anamorphic oil filled prism lens which I will mount separately to the ceiling.
post #369 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 12:28 PM

Wow, Spears and Munsil is just way out of the $ballpark.

I talked with Jason and he said that the PD8150 is the best OTB calibrated projector out there, and to not waste my money on too much calibration. Maybe I'll just stick with my ancient, mickey mouse "Home Theater Tuneup" for now.
post #370 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 484
I believe the Elite version is the RPA. The non Elite is the RMA. Of all the mounts we use, the Elite dedicated plate with the lateral shift bracket, the LSB-100, gives rock steady mounting with no need to employ lateral lens shift. It is fairly simple and easy to detach the projector with the dedicated mounting plate attached to the projector from the mount assembly. The need for more rapid detachment escapes me because I wouldn't want a projector that required frequent unmounting.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #371 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow........ sorry to disagree, but $25 for that quality of Calibration help and already published on a blu-ray disc.... quite a good deal IMHO .

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #372 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I believe the Elite version is the RPA. The non Elite is the RMA. Of all the mounts we use, the Elite dedicated plate with the lateral shift bracket, the LSB-100, gives rock steady mounting with no need to employ lateral lens shift. It is fairly simple and easy to detach the projector with the dedicated mounting plate attached to the projector from the mount assembly. The need for more rapid detachment escapes me because I wouldn't want a projector that required frequent unmounting.

RPA and RPM...RPM being the Elite.
post #373 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I talked with Jason and he said that the PD8150 is the best OTB calibrated projector out there, and to not waste my money on too much calibration. Maybe I'll just stick with my ancient, mickey mouse "Home Theater Tuneup" for now.

To clarify, all projectors can benefit from some calibration. But in testing many, many of the Planar's, I have found that out of the box they are by far and gone the closest to what one strives for (D65, Rec. 709, etc...). The cost involved for you to calibrate (assuming you don't hire someone) isn't going to justify the end resulting change.

That being said, getting a basic setup disc can help you do the basic parameters. But, the Spears and Munsil ($25) ONLY works in a Bluray, thus you having to upgrade your drive at a much larger expense than just the disc itself.
post #374 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Buy an Oppo BDP-83 BD player and get the Spears and Munsil disk free....

AudioBear
post #375 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 02:27 PM

I don't have a BluRay drive, as I need a special thin-format drive for my Silverstone GD02-MKV case.

And BTW, I mis-spoke. The CalMAN is just way out of the $ballpark. OK?
post #376 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK smart-azz, my understanding was that S&M would only work effectively with the sensor hardware, and I didn't see any kits for less than $700. So why don't you tell us all what you could possibly be thinking.

That's just the thing..... there are a whole range of options to choose from.

With the Planar (cannot imagine anyone buying this type of projector without an HD source), from my reading you would probably be happy just setting the Contrast and Brightness which can be done with many of the DVD's that contain the THX images for adjustment.

The next step would be the AVS, Stacy/Munsil, Joe Kane's Digital Calibration Disc, GetGray, etc.

Then you step up to buying hardware in addition to software which can start around $200 and go to $10,000 or more just depending on what devices your trying to adjust and how "perfect" you are trying to get.

My opinion would be that all this is "overkill" for the 8150, unless you just happen to want to learn more about it.

Personally I bought a sensor and software from Jason when he was upgrading to a better one just to dip my toe into the calibration water. For me I would really need to go and take one or more classes to even really understand the beginnings of this stuff. I have tried hanging out over in the Calibration forum and those guys are so far over my head I am not sure they are even using the same language , I mean I am still trying to understand "if not, then" commands and these guys are speaking machine language!

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #377 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Actually, I watch almost exclusively HD on my 12' DIY screen. I use MythTV to record DishNetwork and OTA HD. Superb.

BTW, I am the developer of the Mega Screen, a new technology described in another forum, as the Screens Mod chased me away from AVS.

Just waiting to find a quality BluRay drive in a thin formfactor that will fit in my case.
post #378 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe the Elite version is the RPA. The non Elite is the RMA.

Incorrect! The new Elite is the RPM and RPMA. (The RPM still uses thumb screws but has the new improved housing, the RPMA is the high-tech model that uses a locking lever for super-quick/-easy attach/detach).

The RPA is the old style version that was available in the 90's... (I used the RPA for my JVC G15 back in the days).

Peter
post #379 of 773 Old 05-15-2009, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Yea. I screwed the models numbers up. I just installed an Elite this morning too but not the one with the levers. The non Elite is still available and is about $50 cheaper. I much prefer the Elite.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #380 of 773 Old 05-16-2009, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The non Elite is still available and is about $50 cheaper. I much prefer the Elite.

Correct. The original RPA is still very useful if you must install the projector very close to the ceiling. It only adds 2" compared to 4" for the Elite (RPM/RPMA).
post #381 of 773 Old 05-19-2009, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I've logged about 20 hours on the Planar..I have to say this really is a fantastic projector vs what I am used to.

The first impression I had was the deeper black level of the image vs the BenQ 5000. Right away, I noticed a richer darker level of black and then it struck me the shades of black and level of detail I was missing in darker objects ie: A character's black suit would have different shades of black along with the texture of the garment or detail of the color...vs a black suit.

The second discovery was the depth present in darker scenes. There wasn't the "haze" present in many of the shadow/dark scenes of films...but a dimensionality that wasn't present before.

The third discovery was the more film like (I know it's a "crutch term") image of this projector, yet still sharp. The difference struck me, as one of the aspects of the BenQ was a terrific level of sharpness, but at a point where some transfers appeared digital in appearance. With the Planar, the image was sharp and detailed, yet again very film-like. Terrific color saturation and texture to the image and colors.

The last discovery was the difference in the use of DI. Really nice black level, without the pumping of the black that sometimes happened in my previous experience.

I do have to note that it isn't completely fair to compare the Planar and the BenQ 5000 due to the difference in street prices, esp. when you consider the great deals in the BenQ refurb market. One should expect a higher level of performance. The best way I could explain to friends (and wife )....The Planar is a new Lexus. The refurb BenQ is a used Honda Accord. Both get you from point A to point B....but in much different level of luxary (and in performance).

My only problem that I encountered is the size/weight of the Planar combined with the Panamorph Pro AK8 attachment plate equals about 40 pounds...the layout of the Planar's configuration to the plate makes the back end of the load unbalanced. So when you attach the plate to the Chief RPM universal mount, the mount can not hold the weight level. The projector and plate lean towards the rear. I had to add a wire to the rear end of the plate and wind it to the extension column to help support the back end (uneven weight distribution). It works, but isn't the easiest one man install. So if you have the same combo of plate and planar...go with the cheaper RPA mount, since it has the ability to manage the uneven distribution of weight that's inherent in that combination.

Another comment on the Panarmorph AK 8 Pro is the lack of pre-drilled holes to accomodate a fixed lens bracket. They didn't take that configuration into consideration (like they did on previous models of their attachment plate), so I had to take the plate to a metal fabricator to have them drill the holes.
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #382 of 773 Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Well, I've logged about 20 hours on the Planar..I have to say this really is a fantastic projector vs what I am used to.

The first impression I had was the deeper black level of the image vs the BenQ 5000. Right away, I noticed a richer darker level of black and then it struck me the shades of black and level of detail I was missing in darker objects ie: A character's black suit would have different shades of black along with the texture of the garment or detail of the color...vs a black suit.

The second discovery was the depth present in darker scenes. There wasn't the "haze" present in many of the shadow/dark scenes of films...but a dimensionality that wasn't present before.

The third discovery was the more film like (I know it's a "crutch term") image of this projector, yet still sharp. The difference struck me, as one of the aspects of the BenQ was a terrific level of sharpness, but at a point where some transfers appeared digital in appearance. With the Planar, the image was sharp and detailed, yet again very film-like. Terrific color saturation and texture to the image and colors.

The last discovery was the difference in the use of DI. Really nice black level, without the pumping of the black that sometimes happened in my previous experience.

You suck!

I was just becoming "satisfied" again to wait with my W5000 for the next round of projectors

But you just listed off that the Planar is "significantly" better in every area I find fault with my W5000.

Quote:

I do have to note that it isn't completely fair to compare the Planar and the BenQ 5000 due to the difference in street prices, esp. when you consider the great deals in the BenQ refurb market.

Unfortunately for me though it's exactly the comparison I'd be making

Thanks for the Comparison, guess that puts the Planar back high up my list when my reserve recovers

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #383 of 773 Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

You suck!

I was just becoming "satisfied" again to wait with my W5000 for the next round of projectors

But you just listed off that the Planar is "significantly" better in every area I find fault with my W5000.

Unfortunately for me though it's exactly the comparison I'd be making

Thanks for the Comparison, guess that puts the Planar back high up my list when my reserve recovers

When they say "no pain, no gain"...that holds true with this upgrade too. For the Boster finance commitee to approve the expenditure, I had to sell off an equal amount of gear to raise the funds for the Planar. As we are watching, "Curious Case of Ben. Buttons" last weekend, I commented several times to my wife what a great image this projector produces...all I could get was a grunt and snide comment of approval.

Again, this comparison comes from a subjective "rememberance" of the recent BenQ experience over the last year and 20 hours of the Planar....so keep that in mind. But, to be perfectly honest, I really feel comfortable making the above observations. I feel they (observations) would hold up rather well in a side-by-side comparison.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #384 of 773 Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

When they say "no pain, no gain"...that holds true with this upgrade too. For the Boster finance commitee to approve the expenditure, I had to sell off an equal amount of gear to raise the funds for the Planar. As we are watching, "Curious Case of Ben. Buttons" last weekend, I commented several times to my wife what a great image this projector produces...all I could get was a grunt and snide comment of approval.

Well being single does have it's advantages I just have friends that come over and enjoy it no matter how much, or little I spend

Quote:

Again, this comparison comes from a subjective "rememberance" of the recent BenQ experience over the last year and 20 hours of the Planar....so keep that in mind. But, to be perfectly honest, I really feel comfortable making the above observations. I feel they (observations) would hold up rather well in a side-by-side comparison.

Fair enough, but I almost take the comparison more strongly, though I guess that largely depends on if your W5000's performance improved or declined in your memory

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #385 of 773 Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 PM

I was interested in your comparison of the Planar 8150.

I am new to projection tv, with the Benq my first entry. The picture, I feel is very good for the price point and I am using a carada BW screen 96 inches.

But, I am really itching to get this 8150. I think this is the one that can last me until there is an affordable LED DLP projector.

What is truly amazing is the price of these projectors. I stumbled on this thread while doing research for a panasonic 56 inch plasma tv. The price of the Benq and the Carada screen was cheaper than the Pansonic. I had always thought it would be well over 10,000 for a nice setup.

And the movie watching experience is unreal. At night, in a darkend room, watching a blu ray movie is better than my best experiences in the movie theater.

Now I just need to find a refurbished 8150.
post #386 of 773 Old 05-19-2009, 07:09 PM

Reality is it's doubtful you'll find any PD8150.
post #387 of 773 Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I am using the Oppo 83 for my primary source and have it outputting 12 bit 4:4:4.

My source is an HTPC running Linux & MythTV.

Can anyone advise how to set this?
post #388 of 773 Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Planar recommends using Hoya 72mm ND2 filters but Hoya has several models of these ND2 multicoated filters such as HMC and super HMC does which one should we be using for best results?

post #389 of 773 Old 05-22-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

Planar recommends using Hoya 72mm ND2 filters but Hoya has several models of these ND2 multicoated filters such as HMC and super HMC does which one should we be using for best results?

The Super HMC is the best performer.

http://www.photofilter.com/hoya_filt...ation_page.htm

post #390 of 773 Old 05-22-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

The Super HMC is the best performer.

http://www.photofilter.com/hoya_filt...ation_page.htm

thanks for the tip Mark

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page