post #631 of 773 Old 12-29-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post

Turning Dynamic Black off defeats one of my main reasons for getting the 8150. Honestly, if I had to do that, I'd rather get a Marantz 15S1.

And this is exactly what I did, I traded the slightly better blacks of the 8150 which I couldnt use anyway (iris turne off) for the sharper minolta optics and approx 1000:1 ansi contrast of the long throw lens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 773 Old 12-29-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

funlvr1965,

How long ago did you purchase your 8150? I think Bob bought his pretty early in the production run. Mine is likely to be one of the last Planar branded pj's. Jason received them in mid-Dec but I delayed the shipping until just after Christmas.

I'm definitely curious about this artifact and whether or not it will bother me. If it's a rare as most here have said, I think I'll be fine with it.

It was sometime in the summer, I want to say around June/July period
post #633 of 773 Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

It was sometime in the summer, I want to say around June/July period

I think I bought mine around the same time.
post #634 of 773 Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I can see funlvr's position on this. I know some are far more sensitive to DI artifacts than others. I can count how many times the DI on the Planar was noticeable for me on one hand, and that's after months of use. But it wasn't completely transparent.

The Marantz projectors had incredible ANSI and there is no denying how sharp they are (though I think the Samsung edges them out here). My issue there was a lack of CMS and gamma options. Contrast can be better on all of the projectors out there so that wasn't as much of a deal breaker though I know I couldn't go back to that level of performance in black now that I've been using an RS35 for awhile.

I'm just glad funlver managed to find something he is happy with and that works in his system. In the end that is the most important thing, regardless of specs and forum hype.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #635 of 773 Old 12-30-2009, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Yours is definitely one of the earlier units produced. I can't remember if you posted it but is your firmware current?

Yes.
post #636 of 773 Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I watched chapter 9 of the DVD version 13 Going On 30 tonight with all 3 (DB, AC, and BC) turned on and I saw no flashing whatsoever. I must qualify that statement, though, as I was constantly bothered by the lack of resolution, lack of color depth, the obvious compression artifacts, and video noise to such a degree that it I had a difficult time trying to spot something as "subtle" as flashing. At the size that I watch things, DVD quality is unbearable and I would never consider watching ANY movie in that format.

I also noted that the gray background in the hallway of the killer scene looked far more uniform in the Blu-ray version than it did on the DVD version. The changing colors of the background in Peter's clip, though exacerbated by his movie camera, were indeed present in the source, though to a lesser degree. DVD sucks!!! I played the scene both on my Oppo BDP-83 and on my HTPC with identical results.

If there was any flashing on my Planar, I could not see it. The only time I have seen the DI work is when I switch from a 100% white pattern to a 0% black pattern instantly. When I do that that, I can see the black level change as the DI closes. I have never seen that same effect happen in real world material to date, though I suppose it could happen under extreme conditions.
post #637 of 773 Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 43
Peter,

I'm trying to understand your situation. Yesterday you posted a response to my question asking when you purchased your 8150:

Quote:

FWIW, I purchased Jasons PD8150 review unit. Strangely enough, Jason had not even noticed the iris was defective! If I recall correctly, I got it in May or June 2008.

You can always turn off DynamicBlack. That solves the problem completely

On page 2 of this thread you posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

No. I have to disable DynamicBlack. If I enable DynamicBlack I see light (brighness) pulsing in certain movie scenes...

FWIW, I come from DLA but I have yet not seen a single rainbow in the 8150. However, the DynamicBlack is completely useless to me. If I turn it on, it will aggrevate me within 1-2 movies!

The effect is very dependent on the source material - I have gotten through select movies without being annoyed at all, but then in some movies the pulsation is so apparent that it almost makes me believe the projector is defective. Turning off DynamicBlack solves the problem.

I do have an early sample of the projector (March 2008), albeit with the latest firmware installed. Maybe my projector needs new hardware updates...?

On page 3 you posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nielsen View Post

Right on the spot! My unit is defective.

I received a replacement from Planar today, and it does not show any of the annoying problems I had with DynamicBlack on my unit.

I talked to Brian @ Planar, and he told me that the most notable improvement they have made to the projectors is tying down cables and connectors better so that they don't come loose in shipping. (He believes this is what's wrong with my early production unit too).
Kris observation about better image might be related to improved factory calibration procedures, according to Brian. He said the optics and electronics is he same and has not undegone any changes.

Do I understand correctly that your original unit was defective and replaced a year later by Planar? And the new unit was working correctly and now it isn't?
post #638 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there more than one way to ship a package by UPS ground?

A couple of months ago I sent my Infocus 7210 by UPS ground to their repair facility in Louisville, Kentucky and it was delivered in 36 hours so I had AVS ship the 8150 by ground thinking 72 hours would be plenty of time to get it here by today but apparently that's not the case.

The UPS site shows my 8150 is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday, January 05, 8 days after they received it. It was picked up from AVS Monday evening, Dec 28 and left Buffalo Tuesday @ 8:12 am and there are no other scans after that.

Kinda sucks, I'm on vacation this week and was looking forward to installing it today and spending some quality time with it over the weekend.
post #639 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
ouch. When I was in Jacksonville, FL, it took two to three days for things ordered from AVS to make it to me shipping UPS ground.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #640 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Jax is only 4 hours north. I should of had it shipped to a UPS facility there. I could have driven up and been back before the New Year begins.
post #641 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 02:52 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jax is only 4 hours north. I should of had it shipped to a UPS facility there. I could have driven up and been back before the New Year begins.

According to the UPS website, transit time for ground delivery is four business days from Buffalo to anywhere in Florida. Tuesday, the 5th, makes sense. If it were not for the holiday, you would probably have it by Monday.
post #642 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

I am projecting from 17 feet away on a 128" 2.4:1 StudioTek 130 Stewart screen, room is a dedicated and totally dark . Do you guys think I can get away with the lamp in Economy mode?
post #643 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

you can get away with anything, but it will be very dim imo. some people like it this way, but not me. i want to buy this pj becuase it does so many things right, but its light output has steered me away since i too have a 128" screen. even in high lamp mode, it will be "fine" with a new bulb but too dim after some usage. this is of course, just MY opinion. im sure others here will disagree.

post #644 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

you can get away with anything, but it will be very dim imo. some people like it this way, but not me. i want to buy this pj becuase it does so many things right, but its light output has steered me away since i too have a 128" screen. even in high lamp mode, it will be "fine" with a new bulb but too dim after some usage. this is of course, just MY opinion. im sure others here will disagree.

Anthony,
if your HT is light controlled, the 8150 should be plenty bright on 1.3 gain screen. At std setting for the lamp, I have an increbible amount of light reflected off the screen and I find it a bit distracting...that is why I am asking about the Economy mode. Lamp has 350 hrs on it.
post #645 of 773 Old 12-31-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by shumi_9 View Post

I am projecting from 17 feet away on a 128" 2.4:1 StudioTek 130 Stewart screen, room is a dedicated and totally dark . Do you guys think I can get away with the lamp in Economy mode?

Start out in economy mode and watch a few movies with it. Don't try high mode. See if YOU like it. That is what is important. Some people HAVE to have crazy brightness, but at the end of the day your room is YOUR room and the only thing that matters is how YOU feel about it. If you think it looks bright enough in economy, go with it. People shouldn't look so much to a forum to make up their mind for them. Getting advice on equipment is one thing, making decisions on what is right for your entertainment is silly. At the end of the day the only one that can decide what is right and enjoyable for you, is you.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #646 of 773 Old 01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd View Post

According to the UPS website, transit time for ground delivery is four business days from Buffalo to anywhere in Florida. Tuesday, the 5th, makes sense. If it were not for the holiday, you would probably have it by Monday.

UPS received it from AVS on Monday the 28th. Wouldn't four business days be the the 4th?
post #647 of 773 Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

UPS received it from AVS on Monday the 28th. Wouldn't four business days be the the 4th?

Makes sense, but I was going by your remark that it "left Buffalo Tuesday @ 8:12 am" and counting four business days from Tuesday. From my dealings with UPS, my guess is if AVS had sent it out earlier on Monday instead of on Monday evening, it would be scheduled to arrive on the 4th.

I had to wait six days for my RS20 to arrive from AVS, even though I am in the one-day delivery zone from Buffalo. It was because it came on this week one year ago and UPS considered the day after Christmas to be a holiday and that was followed by a weekend. I think UPS also considered Christmas Eve Day to be a holiday.
post #648 of 773 Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess we can consider it as a lesson learned.

Funny thing is, Jason was willing to ship it mid Dec and extend my return option until Jan 15 but I knew I would be swamped at work and simply wouldn't have the time. Instead of suffering the temptation to have a quick peek everytime I saw the box sitting in my home, I delayed the shipping until the 28th.
post #649 of 773 Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM

Hi all, Just joined the growing list of PD8150 owners. Got mine new from Jason here at AVS last month on Dec 02. I also installed a new Carada 118"X50" 2.35:1 BW screen at the same time. The system this replaced was a Optoma HD65 projector and a 110" 16x9 Da-Lite HP screen. Took a little while to appreciate the picture because it looked quite a bit different, (better dark scene performance, no more rainbows, etc) but when I did, I'm glad I made the upgrades. Big improvement over my old system! Really like the impact the larger screen provides when watching a scope movie. Thanks everyone for all the great and usefull info that led me to this purchase.
post #650 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had several deliveries coming in during that time and noticed an oddity: It looks like both FedEx and UPS treated the 31st as a non-business day.

I had two regular deliveries that normally *always* arrive in 2 days. Shipped on Tuesday, but arrived next Monday. Thursday 31st definitely was not a "regular" delivery day although it probably should be. (It looks like they did no ground deliveries on the 31st, but next day, 2nd day, etc was delivered like normally).
post #651 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB49 View Post

Hi all, Just joined the growing list of PD8150 owners. Got mine new from Jason here at AVS last month on Dec 02. I also installed a new Carada 118"X50" 2.35:1 BW screen at the same time. The system this replaced was a Optoma HD65 projector and a 110" 16x9 Da-Lite HP screen. Took a little while to appreciate the picture because it looked quite a bit different, (better dark scene performance, no more rainbows, etc) but when I did, I'm glad I made the upgrades. Big improvement over my old system! Really like the impact the larger screen provides when watching a scope movie. Thanks everyone for all the great and usefull info that led me to this purchase.

TSB49,
are you using an anamorphic lens, or doing the zooming thing?
post #652 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Can't really do the zoom thing since the lens shift is allen wrench operated.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #653 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

ha. how about a motorized allen wrench?

post #654 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I don`t think its an Allen wrench. The wrench has a different head than an Allen, doesn`t it?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #655 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM

shumi_9

I am not using an anamorphic lens. Per the installation/operation manual, I installed the projector on the ceiling about 18' 4'' from the front of the lens to the top of the screen. When I zoom back and forth from 1.78 to 2.35 ratios I do not re-adjust the lens mechanical offset. After zooming there will be a black bar that is above the picture. In the OSD menu under advanced, fine sync, vertical position, that bar can be eliminated by shifting the picture up. You now have a full picture (no bars) on a 2.35:1 screen just by using the zoom ring and the remote for the vertical repositioning. The one thing that is necessary for this to work is to feed the projector a 1080p signal, and select native in the menu. If you don't you won't be able to shift the picture up enough to get rid of the black bar. The allen wrench is a 5mm ball socket end wrench. The ball socket is not really required. It just allows you to reach the adjusting screw on a angle if required.
post #656 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I don`t think its an Allen wrench. The wrench has a different head than an Allen, doesn`t it?

haha yup, good call mark. allen "key".

post #657 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM

Anthony:

Maybe you should consider the sony as well since it apparently has a little more ansi than the jvc, better on/off than the dlps, and a working FI.

I'd prefer a nice recent DLP with a working FI but there are none out there. I'm leaning towards the Sony myself for the above reasons.
post #658 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

It's just an allen/hex "key" with the ball type end on it. Instead of the standard strait end.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #659 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSB49 View Post

shumi_9

I am not using an anamorphic lens. Per the installation/operation manual, I installed the projector on the ceiling about 18' 4'' from the front of the lens to the top of the screen. When I zoom back and forth from 1.78 to 2.35 ratios I do not re-adjust the lens mechanical offset. After zooming there will be a black bar that is above the picture. In the OSD menu under advanced, fine sync, vertical position, that bar can be eliminated by shifting the picture up. You now have a full picture (no bars) on a 2.35:1 screen just by using the zoom ring and the remote for the vertical repositioning. The one thing that is necessary for this to work is to feed the projector a 1080p signal, and select native in the menu. If you don't you won't be able to shift the picture up enough to get rid of the black bar. The allen wrench is a 5mm ball socket end wrench. The ball socket is not really required. It just allows you to reach the adjusting screw on a angle if required.

Nicely done indeed...enjoy!
post #660 of 773 Old 01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvectord View Post

Anthony:

Maybe you should consider the sony as well since it apparently has a little more ansi than the jvc, better on/off than the dlps, and a working FI.

I'd prefer a nice recent DLP with a working FI but there are none out there. I'm leaning towards the Sony myself for the above reasons.

i did look into the sony as well but again, calibrated light output was more or less like the planar. under 600 lumens, and seeing that i have a 128" AT screen, i really need all the brightness i can get. the optoma is the only other pj that has the lumens, pop and blacks that would make it a winner. unfortunately, im uneasy with its past track record on reliability and the iris is a mixed bag. many here say its awesome, but some reviews did say otherwise so it may be dependant on the individual. i think the rs35 is my best bet at this time.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page