Planar 8150 follow up impressions - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 773 Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Stephan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Germany / Florida
Posts: 976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by marling View Post

If you wan't to go with 1-chip DLP and are sensitive to CSP , this is the one. I can only see rainbows if I provoke it.

Have a look at the DP dVision or the Avielo Optix, I found those to be the best when it comes to rainbows. However, they're more expensive than the 8150 and I think they target another market (much bigger screens).

- Stephan
Stephan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 773 Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
mlang46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carskadon View Post

The optional short-throw lens is 1.56 - 1.86:1. There is no difference in brightness or contrast with this lens over the standard lens (1.85 - 2.40:1).

Thanks for the info on the dealer. It will be interesting to compare the new improved Planar against the Sim2 HT380 and when I do I will report the results on this forum
mlang46 is offline  
post #93 of 773 Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
Bob Sorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,454
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
So, Mike, did you get your Planar yet?
Bob Sorel is online now  
post #94 of 773 Old 04-14-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I have one coming early next week.

I am very thankful for Brian's presence here and the wealth of info he provides.

I would love to hear his answer to the use of a .95 versus the newer smaller chip but I suspect the stringent clamps TI places on all licensees on discussing TI pricing, he simply can't answer the question. Use of the smaller chip as Mlang discusses will significantly make lens manufacture and cost very high if a performance loss is to be avoided through a loss of back plane focus yada yada. Not my area of expertise but Mlang I am sure can comment.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #95 of 773 Old 04-14-2009, 03:56 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Alan Gouger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 18,726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Brian any chance for a long throw lens?

I just asked Laurie to order one today for our showroom and the current lens will
work but we will be at the end of its throw. Im looking forward to seeing the improvements over the previous version which I already thought looked good.

Thanks Brian.
Alan Gouger is offline  
post #96 of 773 Old 04-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
 
Bob Sorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,454
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
This is great! I will be looking forward to hear what both Alan and Mark have to say about the PD8150. Since I am a DLP fan, the Planar presents an exciting alternative to the RS-20, especially with the recent drop in MSRP and since it is color accurate out of the box.
Bob Sorel is online now  
post #97 of 773 Old 04-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Member
 
Steve Henry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I may ask, what is the new retail price?
Steve Henry is offline  
post #98 of 773 Old 04-14-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 323
It dropped from $8K to $7K MSRP.

I expect this machine to be very close to SOTA for a single chip DLP.

I don`t expect Planar to disclose whether it uses a DC3 or a DC3 plus chp which I believe would be essentially a DC4 chip. If it uses a DC3, I would expect a DC3 plus or DC4 would give marginally better performance though I don`t know in what ways or to what extent. perhaps slightly better native on\\off and a little higher ANSI but I really don`t know. Fom Chris`s review I would expect a very very good lens but perhaps not quite as good as its more expensive competition. From what I know, the projectors are very very well engineered and well built. Planar has extremely good customer and dealer support. Planar`s business is projectors, pure and simple. Product development, refinements, software improvements do not depend on US representatives of a foreign company getting foreign engineers and management to respond to it North American customer and dealer base. I am not anti non US companies, but Planar has some real advantages in being able to make decisions and respond quickly. The buck stops here. Its too bad the economy is in the pits because in better times I would expect even more from them.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #99 of 773 Old 04-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Senior Member
 
dyates69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brian,

Do you have plans to introduce a proper Australian distribution model? The only importer I've found here is price gouging to the extreme (was quoted AUD$17,500 or US$12,600 converted) for an 8150 and when I briefly but politely declined stating price as the reason they sent me the rudest reply I've ever received in regard to a product query. Also full of misinformation. To be honest they could offer me the unit for half price now and I wouldn't buy it from them based on their reply alone.

I would expect you'd want a more reputable company representing your product abroad after all the work that's gone into producing it and would be keen to hear of any plans to distribute it in this country officially.
dyates69 is offline  
post #100 of 773 Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Member
 
Brian Carskadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyates69 View Post

Brian,

Do you have plans to introduce a proper Australian distribution model? The only importer I've found here is price gouging to the extreme (was quoted AUD$17,500 or US$12,600 converted) for an 8150 and when I briefly but politely declined stating price as the reason they sent me the rudest reply I've ever received in regard to a product query. Also full of misinformation. To be honest they could offer me the unit for half price now and I wouldn't buy it from them based on their reply alone.

I would expect you'd want a more reputable company representing your product abroad after all the work that's gone into producing it and would be keen to hear of any plans to distribute it in this country officially.


Sorry to hear that. Who is the distributor you are referring to here? Will you PM me the response you got?

Brian

Brian Carskadon
Director of Product Management
Planar Systems, Home Theater Business Unit
Brands: Runco, Vidikron, Planar
Brian Carskadon is offline  
post #101 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 AM
Senior Member
 
dyates69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No problem, pm sent.
dyates69 is offline  
post #102 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
 
Bob Sorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,454
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
The only importer I've found here is price gouging to the extreme (was quoted AUD$17,500 or US$12,600 converted) for an 8150 and when I briefly but politely declined stating price as the reason they sent me the rudest reply I've ever received in regard to a product query. Also full of misinformation. To be honest they could offer me the unit for half price now and I wouldn't buy it from them based on their reply alone.

I understand your frustration. I have issues with Planar's dealer policy as well, though I won't get into it in this thread. For me it just made my choice a simple one - buy the JVC RS-20 instead.
Bob Sorel is online now  
post #103 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lawguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

For me it just made my choice a simple one - buy the JVC RS-20 instead.

Did I just read that right?

Affable Nitwit
Lawguy is offline  
post #104 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
Bob Sorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,454
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Yes, you did Lawguy!

I really wanted to buy the Planar, but I can't buy it through my dealer of choice (right here at AVS ), nor could I trust that I would be able to obtain warranty service from an Ebay deal, so I will probably buy an RS-20 (my second choice) just because I can buy it from AVS and I have no fears about service or warranty. The PD8150 seems like a very good choice, though, for those who are willing to adhere to Planar's distribution model (I'm not). Brian is a really nice guy and a very helpful person, so rather than risk misrepresenting his company's policies, I will defer any questions regarding warranty validity, dealer and territorial assignments, and pricing structure to him.
Bob Sorel is online now  
post #105 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Lawguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Yes, you did Lawguy!

I really wanted to buy the Planar, but I can't buy it through my dealer of choice (right here at AVS ), nor could I trust that I would be able to obtain warranty service from an Ebay deal, so I will probably buy an RS-20 (my second choice) just because I can buy it from AVS and I have no fears about service or warranty. The PD8150 seems like a very good choice, though, for those who are willing to adhere to Planar's distribution model (I'm not). Brian is a really nice guy and a very helpful person, so rather than risk misrepresenting his company's policies, I will defer any questions regarding warranty validity, dealer and territorial assignments, and pricing structure to him.


I hope you enjoy it.

I also considered the Planar (at a time when AVS was selling it). If I remember correctly, Tryg actally raved about it as well.

Good luck!

Affable Nitwit
Lawguy is offline  
post #106 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Yes, you did Lawguy!

I really wanted to buy the Planar, but I can't buy it through my dealer of choice (right here at AVS ), nor could I trust that I would be able to obtain warranty service from an Ebay deal, so I will probably buy an RS-20 (my second choice) just because I can buy it from AVS and I have no fears about service or warranty. The PD8150 seems like a very good choice, though, for those who are willing to adhere to Planar's distribution model (I'm not). Brian is a really nice guy and a very helpful person, so rather than risk misrepresenting his company's policies, I will defer any questions regarding warranty validity, dealer and territorial assignments, and pricing structure to him.


Dang, that is a shame. I'm starting to look for a replacement for my BenQ (which apparently I got a POS sample of), and it seemed like the Planars were really the only viable DLP out there, at least for me. InFocus' have too much offset for my 7' ceilings, and I don't think I'd be happy with the CR/black level. Optoma's out due to reliability/support concerns, BenQ's out due to my current/past experience. Sharp (20K) is too dim, the 15k well let's say I don't expect miracles from a DLP at that price. All the other DLPs are way too much $$$.

I may well end up following Bob's lead.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
stanger89 is online now  
post #107 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tryg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Washington
Posts: 9,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

I hope you enjoy it.

I also considered the Planar (at a time when AVS was selling it). If I remember correctly, Tryg actally raved about it as well.

Good luck!

It throws a great picture. BUT rainbows from 1 chip machines makes it a no go for me. I simply cannot overlook this artifact.
Tryg is offline  
post #108 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Member
 
Brian Carskadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Yes, you did Lawguy!

I really wanted to buy the Planar, but I can't buy it through my dealer of choice (right here at AVS ), nor could I trust that I would be able to obtain warranty service from an Ebay deal, so I will probably buy an RS-20 (my second choice) just because I can buy it from AVS and I have no fears about service or warranty. The PD8150 seems like a very good choice, though, for those who are willing to adhere to Planar's distribution model (I'm not). Brian is a really nice guy and a very helpful person, so rather than risk misrepresenting his company's policies, I will defer any questions regarding warranty validity, dealer and territorial assignments, and pricing structure to him.


Ok, I feel that I should speak up here and give my view of this situation. Bob, you contacted me regarding two PD8150's someone was selling on eBay (the seller states is due to a divorce) and if they would be covered under warranty. I asked for the S/N of the unit you wished to purchase so I could check to see if was a legal sale (not stolen). It appears that the eBay seller was not willing to give you the S/N and to me, that is a red flag. If he did purchase them, then he should not have any issue giving the S/N. With regards to the warranty, we offer 2 years from the date of delivery to the end user, excluding the lamp, which has a 6 month (or 1000 hour, whichever comes first) from the date of delivery to the end user. I am trying to protect you from buying a 'brand new unit' that per our records may be out of warranty. I have offered to speak to you directly to see if we can resolve this, and I hope you will.

Our dealer policy is very similar to that of JVC, and possibly less threatening... Here is what is on the JVC website states:

"JVC Professional Products Company sells this D-ILA projector only through authorized Distributors, Dealers and Custom Installers that offer quality support before and after the sale.

JVC expressly prohibits its authorized resellers from selling the DLA-RS1U D-ILA projector over the Internet. JVC is actively pursuing legal action against businesses in violation of its policy for copyright infringement, misrepresentation and fraud. For your protection, and to receive authorized support, JVC recommends that its customers not purchase this model through unauthorized Internet channels."

I would like to get you into a Planar, and if the eBay deal is legit, then I will work with you to see what the remaining warranty is and what else can be done. As for why AV Science is not an authorized dealer any more, I don't know. That is a sales issue, and I am the product guy.

I hope everyone can understand that we have authorized dealers who have a lot invested in us and us in them, and we want to keep them happy and in business. But mostly, we want the end customer, who is spending their hard-earned cash to be happy. If the dealers we have are not satisfying the customer's needs (service, value, location, knowledge), then we need to find new dealers.

We do our best to spend time on the forum to field questions and provide straightforward answers. From what I have seen, we are one of the few manufacturers who do this, and people seem to value a direct pipeline to the people who designed the product.

Regards,

Brian Carskadon
Director of Product Management
Planar Systems, Home Theater Business Unit
Brands: Runco, Vidikron, Planar
Brian Carskadon is offline  
post #109 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Lawguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Brain, you are a class act. It is good to see Planar has such a presence here on the forums.

But, I can understand Bob's frustration. For many of us here, our dealer is AVS and if AVS isn't selling it, I am unlikely to buy it. This is not any kind of internet sale. We all speak with, and have some kind of personal relationship, either with Jason, or with someone else. I have no idea why AVS doesn't sell Planar anymore, but I have to think it is Planar's loss. I think that it's kind of crazy that Bob has to be overcome some Ebay obstacles to get the projector he wants. Help a brother out.

Affable Nitwit
Lawguy is offline  
post #110 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Brian Carskadon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

Brain, you are a class act. It is good to see Planar has such a presence here on the forums.

But, I can understand Bob's frustration. For many of us here, our dealer is AVS and if AVS isn't selling it, I am unlikely to buy it. This is not any kind of internet sale. We all speak with, and have some kind of personal relationship, either with Jason, or with someone else. I have no idea why AVS doesn't sell Planar anymore, but I have to think it is Planar's loss. I think that it's kind of crazy that Bob has to be overcome some Ebay obstacles to get the projector he wants. Help a brother out.

I will have our VP of Sales call Jason and see what's up. As for helping a brother out, I am trying to do what I can for Bob - he just needs to call me.

Brian Carskadon
Director of Product Management
Planar Systems, Home Theater Business Unit
Brands: Runco, Vidikron, Planar
Brian Carskadon is offline  
post #111 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Lawguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carskadon View Post

I will have our VP of Sales call Jason and see what's up. As for helping a brother out, I am trying to do what I can for Bob - he just needs to call me.

I hope it works out.

From everything I can tell, the 8150 is one of the best projectors now available and it seems to get no respect, even though it really is priced right! This doesn't make much sense to me.

Affable Nitwit
Lawguy is offline  
post #112 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Member
 
mleineke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Plainwell, MI
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone help me understand Planar's distribution/dealer model. I have made inquiries directly with Planar regarding a local dealer for the PD8150 on mulitple occasions with no response.

Thanks.

Mark
mleineke is offline  
post #113 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CADOBHuK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My expirience with planar customer service has been outstanding. People that go with jvc will be missing the ansi, the sharpness and the color accuracy.
CADOBHuK is offline  
post #114 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 17,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carskadon View Post

Ok, I feel that I should speak up here and give my view of this situation.

Brian, just let me start out by saying, like Bob, I in no way wish to disparage Planar, I understand the desire to reduce the "riff raff" trying to sell your product and potentially tarnishing the Planar name as a result. I should have kept my mouth shut as my comment had no place in this thread, so I apologize for that. I had just been operating under the assumption that I'd be able to get one through AVS (nobody around here appears to sell them), and was surprised to hear that isn't possible and would disappointed if a Planar was no longer an option.

Quote:


I would like to get you into a Planar, and if the eBay deal is legit, then I will work with you to see what the remaining warranty is and what else can be done. As for why AV Science is not an authorized dealer any more, I don't know. That is a sales issue, and I am the product guy.

I hope everyone can understand that we have authorized dealers who have a lot invested in us and us in them, and we want to keep them happy and in business. But mostly, we want the end customer, who is spending their hard-earned cash to be happy. If the dealers we have are not satisfying the customer's needs (service, value, location, knowledge), then we need to find new dealers.

We do our best to spend time on the forum to field questions and provide straightforward answers. From what I have seen, we are one of the few manufacturers who do this, and people seem to value a direct pipeline to the people who designed the product.

Regards,

Yes you do, and I appreciate it and I'm sure everyone else does as well. One of the reasons a Planar is/was high on my list. I'm tired of dealing with "corporate" support for my HT purchases. I love my Anthem processor, and while I haven't had any troubles with it, I've contacted their support with inquiries on several occasions and they've been most helpful. I really appreciate that sort of support.

So, I'll shut up now

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
stanger89 is online now  
post #115 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
Bob Sorel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 8,454
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:


Bob, you contacted me regarding two PD8150's someone was selling on eBay (the seller states is due to a divorce) and if they would be covered under warranty. I asked for the S/N of the unit you wished to purchase so I could check to see if was a legal sale (not stolen).

Before we go on, please let me reiterate that I think you are a class act as well and I have no problems with you at all. Since the Ebay guy has not provided me with a serial number, I have written him off as I too feel pretty confident that there is something fishy going on.

My problem is that I refuse to buy from any of my local dealers. They charge top dollar for everything and have little knowledge of the products that they sell. All I really need is a good price and to know that Planar will honor the warranty, but from our PMs I have come away with the feeling that I can't just buy from someone selling it out of my territory and/or on the Internet at a good price. If my perception is incorrect, please correct me.

I think the real problem here is to know exactly why AVS is no longer selling Planar products. If Planar pulled the plug, then why did they do so? JVC, regardless of what they have written on their web site, most certainly not only authorizes AVS to sell their products, but actually works with them to provide the AVS members with special price deals. I'll bet that AVS alone sells more JVC projectors than the rest of the US dealers combined.

AVS provides more than just "Internet sales". They provide as much or as little service as the customer requires. That is, if you need to have the unit inspected and tested prior to shipping, they will do that. If you want the unit calibrated, they will do that. If you want someone to travel to your home and do a complete install, they will do that. Since I am a competent person, I don't need anything but a good price and a warranty - it's that simple, so they don't even try to sell me what they know I don't need. That's my kind of dealer!

I hope that whatever problems exist between Planar and AVS are quickly solved, as I will be sticking with my dealer and buying whatever projector best suits my needs THAT THEY SELL. I only asked about the Ebay guy because he offered to sell one to me at the price of his OLD ad ($1000 less). So if you really want to help me out, Brian (and I am sure that you are sincere in what you say), the best thing that you can do for me is to get AVS back on your approved dealer list. I have to go out tonight, but if you still want me to call you, I will be glad to do so tomorrow.

Once again, thank you for your great customer care and concern in this matter!
Bob Sorel is online now  
post #116 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Member
 
mleineke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Plainwell, MI
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Before we go on, please let me reiterate that I think you are a class act as well and I have no problems with you at all. Since the Ebay guy has not provided me with a serial number, I have written him off as I too feel pretty confident that there is something fishy going on.

My problem is that I refuse to buy from any of my local dealers. They charge top dollar for everything and have little knowledge of the products that they sell. All I really need is a good price and to know that Planar will honor the warranty, but from our PMs I have come away with the feeling that I can't just buy from someone selling it out of my territory and/or on the Internet at a good price. If my perception is incorrect, please correct me.

I think the real problem here is to know exactly why AVS is no longer selling Planar products. If Planar pulled the plug, then why did they do so? JVC, regardless of what they have written on their web site, most certainly not only authorizes AVS to sell their products, but actually works with them to provide the AVS members with special price deals. I'll bet that AVS alone sells more JVC projectors than the rest of the US dealers combined.

AVS provides more than just "Internet sales". They provide as much or as little service as the customer requires. That is, if you need to have the unit inspected and tested prior to shipping, they will do that. If you want the unit calibrated, they will do that. If you want someone to travel to your home and do a complete install, they will do that. Since I am a competent person, I don't need anything but a good price and a warranty - it's that simple, so they don't even try to sell me what they know I don't need. That's my kind of dealer!

I hope that whatever problems exist between Planar and AVS are quickly solved, as I will be sticking with my dealer and buying whatever projector best suits my needs THAT THEY SELL. I only asked about the Ebay guy because he offered to sell one to me at the price of his OLD ad ($1000 less). So if you really want to help me out, Brian (and I am sure that you are sincere in what you say), the best thing that you can do for me is to get AVS back on your approved dealer list. I have to go out tonight, but if you still want me to call you, I will be glad to do so tomorrow.

Once again, thank you for your great customer care and concern in this matter!

I could not have said it better myself. I too would very interested in the Planar if they were sold by AVS.

Mark
mleineke is offline  
post #117 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 138
"So if you really want to help me out, Brian (and I am sure that you are sincere in what you say), the best thing that you can do for me is to get AVS back on your approved dealer list."

Same here.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #118 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Newbie
 
parkes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleineke View Post

Can someone help me understand Planar's distribution/dealer model. I have made inquiries directly with Planar regarding a local dealer for the PD8150 on mulitple occasions with no response.

Thanks.

Mark

I also have not yet received a reply when recently asking about a local dealer here in the GTA. Is there a phone number I can call directly to Planar to ask for a local dealer list in the Toronto area.
parkes is offline  
post #119 of 773 Old 04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
smithfarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palm Beach, Fl
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"So if you really want to help me out, Brian (and I am sure that you are sincere in what you say), the best thing that you can do for me is to get AVS back on your approved dealer list."

Same here.

Me too!
smithfarmer is offline  
post #120 of 773 Old 04-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Mike N Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfarmer View Post

Me too!

Me three!
Mike N Ike is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off