Optoma 8200 Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Optoma 8200 Review

Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

gamelover360's Avatar gamelover360
06:16 PM Liked: 10
post #181 of 211
04-10-2009 | Posts: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carskadon View Post

The Planar PD8150 is now $6,999 with the standard lens. The PD8130 is $5,999 with the standard lens. Both of the Planar models use the 0.95" DMD while the Optoma uses the smaller, lower cost 0.65" DMD; one of the factors, I assume, allowing its $4,999 list price.

Due to the larger DMD, the Planar needs larger more expensive optics. A benefit is increased brightness, contrast, sharpness and uniformity while allowing for greater vertical lens shift. The larger DMD in the Planar also allows it to be brighter given a similar lamp wattage (the Planar uses a 230W lamp with Unishape to improve color bit depth). I would be surprised if the Optoma could achieve 1300 lumens at 220W (Art was able to achieve a maximum of 691 lumens in 'reference' mode at color temperature of 7335K).

The Planar is individually calibrated for only one DynamicBlack setting. We have found that a DB multiplier that is too large becomes distracting, or one that is too low has no effect. You also have to make sure the DB aperture moves at the correct speed (not too fast or slow) and has no lag. Art comments on the DB settings on the Optoma's Cinema 2 setting as "very annoying and could not enjoy watching the projector".

As the reviews have shown, the Planar's color calibration is very accurate out-of-the-box (as Art points out "almost dead on for white" at 6422K pre-calibration), where as the Optoma per his review was "pretty far off the mark" at 7210K pre-calibration. Having a color wheel designed so that the native color temperature is as close to D65 as possible will keep lumens from dropping as you calibrate.

The Planar also uses a more expensive video processor, the Gennum 9450 which is the follow-on processor to the 9351 used in a few of the 'famous' external video processor so often talked about on the forum.

I hope this has helped.

Is there any truth that teh firmware update for the PD8150 has improved the contrast at all? Also, is there a "PD8160" planned for later this year? DC4 maybe.
scottyb's Avatar scottyb
06:36 PM Liked: 10
post #182 of 211
04-10-2009 | Posts: 3,537
You guy's should be posting in the Planer thread.
amidcars's Avatar amidcars
09:58 PM Liked: 10
post #183 of 211
04-12-2009 | Posts: 112
Guitarman,

Could you also comment on the other features... frame interpolation, super wide, fan/color wheel noise, best vs. brightest modes. Thanks! I use my PJ for gaming much of the percentage of time, so the FI is factor over, say the JVC RS-10, and the ability to utilize the superwide, may allow me to put off CIH for a while.
3050charles's Avatar 3050charles
12:16 AM Liked: 10
post #184 of 211
04-13-2009 | Posts: 26
So are there any opinions of how the Optima HD8200 stands up to the Infocus IN83? DC3 vs DC4? I'm not sure what the chip size is in the IN83 but I'm pretty sure the color wheel speed is 6x in the HD8200 and 4x in the IN83. Lots of lumens from both. Or is this even a good comparison?
Jeff Regan's Avatar Jeff Regan
07:55 PM Liked: 10
post #185 of 211
04-13-2009 | Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3050charles View Post

So are there any opinions of how the Optima HD8200 stands up to the Infocus IN83? DC3 vs DC4? Or is this even a good comparison?

The IN83 is a great projector--good lumens, natural colors, sharp--but it doesn't have an auto iris, so the HD8200 should have superior CR in Cine1 AI mode.
guitarman's Avatar guitarman
12:07 PM Liked: 16
post #186 of 211
04-14-2009 | Posts: 12,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post

Guitarman,

Could you also comment on the other features... frame interpolation, super wide, fan/color wheel noise, best vs. brightest modes. Thanks! I use my PJ for gaming much of the percentage of time, so the FI is factor over, say the JVC RS-10, and the ability to utilize the superwide, may allow me to put off CIH for a while.

This PJ is super quiet, it's hard to tell it's even on. I just ran a 24fps signal and movement was smooth it worked well. I also used the advanced picture features and they looked good to me. There's one that gives you a split screen so you can see the difference. And you could see the difference, I liked what it did it added even more dimension.
Alpha10's Avatar Alpha10
08:56 AM Liked: 10
post #187 of 211
04-17-2009 | Posts: 223
Hi all,

I presently have an Optoma HD72 projecting onto a matte white (1.0 gain) 92". My next upgrade is probably to the HD82 (in Europe), I would like to increase the screen size to 106", no problem but I have always thought that I should go for a grey screen this time (0.8 gain) as I have very light carpet walls and white ceiling, resulting in a lot of reflection back into the room and damaging black levels. However looking at projector central calculator I will only get about 13fl image brightness with a grey screen at 106" is this going to be enough as at the moment the HD72 on the 92" is giving about 26fl?

So, is the HD82 going to be bright enough to cope?

Does the HD82 have sufficient native contrast such that I don't need to go for a grey screen, as my blacks will be better compared the HD72?

Cheers for any help, I'm really confused right now....
Sandwedg's Avatar Sandwedg
10:07 AM Liked: 10
post #188 of 211
04-17-2009 | Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha10 View Post

Hi all,

I presently have an Optoma HD72 projecting onto a matte white (1.0 gain) 92". My next upgrade is probably to the HD82 (in Europe), I would like to increase the screen size to 106", no problem but I have always thought that I should go for a grey screen this time (0.8 gain) as I have very light carpet walls and white ceiling, resulting in a lot of reflection back into the room and damaging black levels. However looking at projector central calculator I will only get about 13fl image brightness with a grey screen at 106" is this going to be enough as at the moment the HD72 on the 92" is giving about 26fl?

Does the HD82 have sufficient native contrast such that I don't need to go for a grey screen, as my blacks will be better compared the HD72?

I'll try to answer a bit of your concern. I have the HD8200, now for about 2 weeks. I had a panny ae700u 3 lcd. I have a 92" 16x9 homemade matte white. I mask my screen and can do about 104" 2.35 and have been "zooming". I posted a few pictures in the screenshot thread, and they are zoomed.

The optoma looks way better with moderate lights on than my panny did. Very watchable for sports and casual viewing.

I have a sample pack from Da-lite and have tried taping them up to my screen just to see (cinema vision, HC cinema vision, and pearlescent) and I could not really see any benefit from any of them - I could not see any help from HC in darker blacks. If I get a chance I'll try to take an ambient light shot with the 2 gray samples taped up that I have. I'm working on mounting an anamorphic lens right now, but will try to get to it. I'll try zooming it out to about 106" 16x9 for you as well.
10:15 AM Liked: 16
post #189 of 211
04-17-2009 | Posts: 12,968
My room has white walls and ceiling and I used a dalite high power screen when testing the HD8200. Black levels and brightness were great. If I remember right my light meter got 700lumens on the 106" screen. Not accounting adding for any screen gains, 1.0 calculation. Plus that measurement was at near max throw, If I setup closer to the screen you could add one or two hundred lumens to that figure.

700lumens is quiet allot, a Marantz or Seleco will start out at 350lumens on my screen. The HD82 is bright enough.

I think you would be happier with a white screen for the purer whites. Dalite High Power is a good choice. Or the Firehawk is another, good for refelctions whites are still good.
Alpha10's Avatar Alpha10
10:29 AM Liked: 10
post #190 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwedg View Post

The optoma looks way better with moderate lights on than my panny did. Very watchable for sports and casual viewing.

I have a sample pack from Da-lite and have tried taping them up to my screen just to see (cinema vision, HC cinema vision, and pearlescent) and I could not really see any benefit from any of them - I could not see any help from HC in darker blacks. If I get a chance I'll try to take an ambient light shot with the 2 gray samples taped up that I have. I'm working on mounting an anamorphic lens right now, but will try to get to it. I'll try zooming it out to about 106" 16x9 for you as well.

Thanks for this, I do watch a mixture of sports as well as films, perhaps white is the best way to go. I just get a huge amount of reflected light at the moment and the bigger screen will be even worse, hence my grey screen thoughts.
Alpha10's Avatar Alpha10
10:32 AM Liked: 10
post #191 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

My room has white walls and ceiling and I used a dalite high power screen when testing the HD8200. Black levels and brightness were great. If I remember right my light meter got 700lumens on the 106" screen. Not accounting adding for any screen gains, 1.0 calculation. Plus that measurement was at near max throw, If I setup closer to the screen you could add one or two hundred lumens to that figure.

700lumens is quiet allot, a Marantz or Seleco will start out at 350lumens on my screen. The HD82 is bright enough.

I think you would be happier with a white screen for the purer whites. Dalite High Power is a good choice. Or the Firehawk is another, good for refelctions whites are still good.

Thanks, I was quite surprised using projector central calculator that they reckon the HD72 and the HD82 have the same image brightness, give the lumens being quoted for the HD82.

I'm not too keen on high gain screens as the ones I have seen produce bad sparklies. I want the pop from the white screen, do you think that'll may go missing on a grey screen given that the HD82 appears pretty bright?

Trouble with screens is that it is almost impossible to audition.....
noah katz's Avatar noah katz
12:44 PM Liked: 183
post #192 of 211
04-17-2009 | Posts: 20,776
"If I remember right my light meter got 700lumens on the 106" screen. Not accounting adding for any screen gains, 1.0 calculation...700lumens is quiet allot,"

Depending on the gain you're getting from the HP in your setup, that 700 L could be as low as 250 L.
12:58 PM Liked: 16
post #193 of 211
The light meter is located at the screen distance facing the projector so the 700 lumens is correct. You could add some gain on top of that because I had the PJ mounted down from the ceiling. The lens would be just 3' from my eyes, there's gain from the HP I can see it, I'm not totally out of the cone.
01:07 PM Liked: 16
post #194 of 211
Quote:

Thanks, I was quite surprised using projector central calculator that they reckon the HD72 and the HD82 have the same image brightness, give the lumens being quoted for the HD82.

I'm not too keen on high gain screens as the ones I have seen produce bad sparklies. I want the pop from the white screen, do you think that'll may go missing on a grey screen given that the HD82 appears pretty bright?

Trouble with screens is that it is almost impossible to audition.....

I tried a gray screen and didn't like the muted whites. Look up some reviews on the High Power material you'll find mostly positive talk. No sparklies, non tensioned pull downs show flat images. In the cone you'll get the full 2.8 gain so the closer you can mount the projectors lens to your eye level the brighter it will be. If the HP is out a Carada brilliant white or Dalite Cinema Vision are a couple more choices
blackdragon1's Avatar blackdragon1
10:57 AM Liked: 10
post #195 of 211
04-22-2009 | Posts: 63
all you guys with the 8200 happy ?? as Im about to buy this week in Hong Kong unless you tell me something really bad.......
12:19 PM Liked: 10
post #196 of 211
04-22-2009 | Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon1 View Post

all you guys with the 8200 happy ?? as Im about to buy this week in Hong Kong unless you tell me something really bad.......

I am more impressed with mine with every viewing. Very happy buyer here.
Ben Harper's Avatar Ben Harper
05:02 PM Liked: 11
post #197 of 211
04-22-2009 | Posts: 485
I really like this unit, but am worried about the quality. In another thread, it was stated that Jason said all units sold by AVS were returned, and that they will not sell Optoma due to QC issues.

Can anyone here shed some light on this?

Ben
06:32 AM Liked: 10
post #198 of 211
04-24-2009 | Posts: 63
I Viewed with the Optoma 8200 & the Sim D80e yesterday in Hong Kong. Now Im more confused than ever,,, both looked great, the Sim is a little more expensive than the 8200 in HK. but it has a few more toys like power zoom / focus etc , other than that, both pictures looked almost the same. Optoma was a little brighter i guess.
Any help appreciated....
07:40 AM Liked: 10
post #199 of 211
04-24-2009 | Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Harper View Post

I really like this unit, but am worried about the quality. In another thread, it was stated that Jason said all units sold by AVS were returned, and that they will not sell Optoma due to QC issues.

Can anyone here shed some light on this?

Ben

Like I said, I love it. I love the high ANSI "pop" and "wow". The intrascene blacks are great. The sharpness is great and it's quiet. The lens shift works great. The Frame Interpolation works great. It has vertical stretch. Many, many pluses. I have had it now for about 3 weeks so long term quality is unknown. If you think Optoma has a bad rap... then you decide. If you think that there are no perfect products, and for the price, this unit is a good deal.... then you decide.

There is an Iris mode called cinema2 that is "very aggressive" (term used by Optoma?) that is annoying. Some say it is defective and return the machine. Optoma says it's an aggressive software algorithm and not defective. Cinema1 works great, and to me, it's hard to tell the difference.
10:07 AM Liked: 10
post #200 of 211
04-24-2009 | Posts: 63
Thanks Sandwedg & Ben, Optoma seems to have a good reputation here in HK, its very popular in China and the warranty is 2 years I think. Im 99% sold on this unit. wish it had power zoom though, as Ive bought a 2:355 from Stewart.
Thanks for the info on the Cinema 2, I wonder if a firmware fix may improve this setting in time.
scottyb's Avatar scottyb
10:12 AM Liked: 10
post #201 of 211
04-24-2009 | Posts: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon1 View Post

Thanks for the info on the Cinema 2, I wonder if a firmware fix may improve this setting in time.

Optoma said they were gonna leave the setting where it is in case people want to use it. It's not broken, just too agressive. I've used it a couple times and on some material it works well but on MOST it is too agressive and I don't use it. Cinema 1 is really good.

Scott
Elkhunter's Avatar Elkhunter
11:46 PM Liked: 10
post #202 of 211
04-24-2009 | Posts: 316
blackdragon1,

Note that TrustedReviews gave the Optoma HD82 (which I believe is the same projector as the HD8200) a score of 9 out of a possible 10 in design, features, image quality, value and overall. Only the motion processing su*ked.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...eScene-HD82/p1

Also, Evan, in further testing, has found a technical glich which caused the HD8200 to quote: ".....lose its video calibrations when switching sources. Optoma duplicated the problem, identified a fix and is issuing a firmware update."

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...s&entry_id=238
10:34 AM Liked: 10
post #203 of 211
04-25-2009 | Posts: 331
Quote:

Hi all,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this - was on a trip most of the week.

Here are 3 pics - just of my PS3 home screen zoomed out to 106"d. I put up a sample of Da-lite High Contrast Cinema Vision. It was brighter in the room than the picture of the lights makes it seem.

I was hoping there would be some HD signal on (I only have OTA) but at 10:30 in the morning there wasn't any.
petrolhead's Avatar petrolhead
02:11 AM Liked: 10
post #204 of 211
04-26-2009 | Posts: 54
Strange thing. I have switched Dynamic Black off but it still seeems to be on ie you can see the iris going on and off. Need to check this for sure with no sound so I can hear the iris.

Anyone else heard/seen of this?

EDIT:
OK Have read the review again AI was switched on which I believe would give a similar effect for DB Iris so have switched it off, need to watch a film as a check
11:58 AM Liked: 16
post #205 of 211
04-26-2009 | Posts: 12,968
Now you can really see how good the Dynamic Black is because AI is very noticable. Try Cinema 1 DB choice for most movies, mess around with Cinema 2 just for a test. The other video enhancing options are excellent also.
02:28 PM Liked: 10
post #206 of 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

Now you can really see how good the Dynamic Black is because AI is very noticable. Try Cinema 1 DB choice for most movies, mess around with Cinema 2 just for a test. The other video enhancing options are excellent also.

Out of interet which other enhancement do you have running?

I have tried Pure Motion but often causes artifacts. Iron Man is a good example - Near the begining when he is in the HumVee the soldier next to him asks for a photo by raising his hand. With Pure Motion set to 1 watch his fingers as they move past the glass.

Therefore I tend to keep this off
02:38 PM Liked: 10
post #207 of 211
04-26-2009 | Posts: 331
I like Cinema1, no AI.

PureMotion (FI) is great for HD sports and HDTV, games, and animated movies.
I like the 24fps for non-animated movies so I turn it off for that. I like that you can see that it really works when you put it on high and it makes "iron man" or whatever look like a tv show.

I think I leave pure color on 1, and pure detail off or 1. I use the settings from Art's projectorreviews.com review.
03:13 PM Liked: 10
post #208 of 211
Interesting, I find Pure Detail makes a big improvement, like sharpening in Photoshop Tens to keep Pur Coloiur off as the colours are already slightly over saturated

So did you not see the artifacts when Pure Motion is on
04:08 PM Liked: 10
post #209 of 211
04-26-2009 | Posts: 331
I haven't seen any artifacts when using the Pure Motion - just the fact that it really does smooth things out, gets rid of the choppiness of the 24fps. I did watch the NCAA championship game with it on high and was a bit concerned about artifacts, but it turns out the broadcast quality was regarded as sub-par.
conan48's Avatar conan48
04:35 PM Liked: 245
post #210 of 211
05-05-2009 | Posts: 2,234
anyone compare the 82 to the Epson 6500? I would really appreciate any comments on how they compare.
Tags: Optoma Hd8200 1080p Dlp Hd Hdtv Theater Projector

Gear in this thread - Hd8200 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread