PT-AE2000U w/ big yellow spot. Dust blob? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have developed a yellow spot recently. After doing some reading, I thought that I had burnt polarizers and was getting ready to send in for service. However, if there is the possibility that it is a dust blob, I would be willing to investigate that.

The blob appears in the general area and approx. size of the attached picture. Of course, it is not that bold or pronounced and the color fades at the edges. It appears yellow on a white background and it appears nearer to black on a dark blue background.

Is it possible that this could be a dust blob (given the size, it never occurred to me). Are there troubleshooting steps I can take to determine if it is a dust blob?

Thank you!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
im almost sure this is not a dust blob. Sounds more like the optical block only guessing but i have the same on my sharp projector.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

A real picture would help, but it does look like a burnt blue polarizer. If it is under warranty send it in. Otherwise you can open it up and check for yourself (if you're that type like me).
post #4 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Has it changed in shape or size? If so, it's a burned polarizer (or LCD panel).
post #5 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocan View Post

im almost sure this is not a dust blob. Sounds more like the optical block only guessing but i have the same on my sharp projector.

That is what I would have said too!!
DMG
post #6 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. That pretty much confirms my fears. I think I know where I went wrong and it was really dumb. I changed a bulb a few months ago and didn't change over the filter. The projector probably has close to 3000 lamp hours on it now in total on the 1st filter. Not good! When I noticed the yellowing in the center of the screen, I did some searches and thought it might be a burnt polarizer. That's when it dawned on my that I never changed the filter. It's a pity too....the thing was so easy to change. When I took out the old one, it was definitely dirty enough to restrict airflow and cause overheating. Blah....guess I'll send it in.

Anyone have any idea of what the repair might be? I know it costs $130 just for the authorized service center to look at it, but that cost goes towards the repair.

Thanks for the replies.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Not cheap if they don't cover it. Seriously, hundreds most likely.
post #8 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, if were talking hundreds as in 3-400, it may be worth while. If were talking hundreds as in 500 or more, then I'll just get a PT-AE3000U instead. The thing is, they can't give you an estimate until you send in the unit....so it looks like I'm, going to have to pay them $130 to tell me it's going to cost $X00 to fix. Frustrating!!
post #9 of 32 Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

They have to replace the entire optical block. You're looking at several hundred dollars, maybe even upwards of $1000...
post #10 of 32 Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KCWolfPck
Like rickster904 said, if it is not under warranty, get the Service Manual and learn how to open the PJ to check the blue polarizer. If it´s burned, you can buy a replacement part for: one hundred dollars? If the blue LCD is burned, then TF Ghost is right.
If you don't have the manual, PM your e-mail and I will send it to you.
Fernando
post #11 of 32 Old 03-05-2009, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

KCWolfPck
Like rickster904 said, if it is not under warranty, get the Service Manual and learn how to open the PJ to check the blue polarizer. If it´s burned, you can buy a replacement part for: one hundred dollars? If the blue LCD is burned, then TF Ghost is right.
If you don't have the manual, PM your e-mail and I will send it to you.
Fernando

Good call, Ferbal. I should've been clearer. If you send it in Panasonic will replace the entire optical block, even for something simple like a burned polarizer. A DIY fix would definitely be the way to go (assuming it's the polarizer).
post #12 of 32 Old 03-09-2009, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

post #13 of 32 Old 03-09-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to open the pj, take out the polarizer and see for yourself. A burnt polarizer will have a brownish 'stain' the same size as the yellow stain you see on the image. A good polarizer has uniform color.
post #14 of 32 Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I found a post where someone posted a picture of a burnt polarizer. The only problem now would be finding a place that sells the part. I found a place that sells the whole optic block ($1395). The only listing I could find for the polarizer said "discontinued".

I think I'm getting closer and closer to just getting the PT-AE3000U.
post #15 of 32 Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCWolfPck View Post

Yeah, I found a post where someone posted a picture of a burnt polarizer. The only problem now would be finding a place that sells the part. I found a place that sells the whole optic block ($1395). The only listing I could find for the polarizer said "discontinued".

I think I'm getting closer and closer to just getting the PT-AE3000U.

Look here:
http://www.pasc.panasonic.com/ePartr/
post #16 of 32 Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have the AE2000 Service Manual here in my office.
But, for the AE900:
TEEC0040 POLARIZING PLATE/IN (BLUE) 51.84 dollars
TKGP5284 POLARIZING PLATE/OUT(B) 79.31 dollars
TKGP5285 POLARIZING PLATE/OUT(B) 79.31 dollars
Hope that helps
post #17 of 32 Old 03-24-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Ok. I'd like to bring this thread back for some confirmations. I've learned a lot since my last post and want to convey that information in this thread.

I was able to locate the service manual and I've identified the part for the blue polarizer as Part Number TEEC0050 (Blue Polarizer Plate).

I've located a seller for this part located at this link. The cost is $100.40.

I have taken actual pictures of the spot in question and am posting below:

Based on the above information, is it fair to say that a handy person equipped with a service manual could repair the image quality for the cost of the part linked above? The reason I ask is because I have sold the item on eBay and the seller seems alarmed by some of the content of this thread....which is understandable as this thread was missing a lot of information.

Thank you for your opinion.
post #18 of 32 Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on the above information, is it fair to say that a handy person equipped with a service manual could repair the image quality for the cost of the part linked above? The reason I ask is because I have sold the item on eBay and the seller seems alarmed by some of the content of this thread....which is understandable as this thread was missing a lot of information.

Thank you for your opinion.

Yes, assuming it's a burned polarizer and not a burned LCD panel.

EDIT: What exactly is missing from this thread?
post #19 of 32 Old 03-24-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost View Post

Yes, assuming it's a burned polarizer and not a burned LCD panel.

EDIT: What exactly is missing from this thread?

Thank you TF. For sake of argument, can a burnt LCD panel be replaced without replacing the whole optic block?

What was missing was that I found a place that stocked the polarizer plates. My last post indicated they were discontinued. Also, I posted actual photos, rather than a graphic representation.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you TF. For sake of argument, can a burnt LCD panel be replaced without replacing the whole optic block?

What was missing was that I found a place that stocked the polarizer plates. My last post indicated they were discontinued. Also, I posted actual photos, rather than a graphic representation.

Ah! I thought he was saying the answers provided were lacking...

From my understanding you cannot replace a single LCD panel, you have to replace the entire optical block.
post #21 of 32 Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ah! I thought he was saying the answers provided were lacking...

From my understanding you cannot replace a single LCD panel, you have to replace the entire optical block.

Well, let's hope everyone was right when they told me it was most likely a burned polarizer. If I was a handy person, I'd simply take it out and physically confirm that, but I'm afraid if I take it apart I won't be able to get it back together again. I was careful to note in my item description that "I researched what might be causing the haze and from what I've found, it sounds like the blue polarizer is slightly burned." I also provided detailed pictures on the problem so anyone considering on bidding could research the issue themselves prior to bidding (I know I certainly would have done so). Many people asked for the service manual during the auction and I happily provided it to them as well. Personally, I don't think that the problem would bother many people while watching regular programming material.

Franky, the auction value ended up being way less than similar selling items and it was because of the fact that I couldn't say FOR SURE what the problem was. If I could have said FOR SURE than the polarizer was burned and it would only cost $100 to fix, then the auction value certainly would have been significantly more. It appears now that he's won the auction, he is demanding both the assurance and the lower auction sale price....which seems unfair to me as I was honest as I could have been in the item description.
post #22 of 32 Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes and the replacement of the optical block must be made by qualified service.
Because the new LCD panels are inorganics, I don't think that this could be a burnt LCD panel.
post #23 of 32 Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferbal View Post

Yes and the replacement of the optical block must be made by qualified service.
Because the new LCD panels are inorganics, I don't think that this could be a burnt LCD panel.

Thank you for your assurance, Ferbal.
post #24 of 32 Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

On a side note, I agree, it's pretty shady to take the discounted price then demand to know exactly what the issue is...doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the discount? The person that won the auction should pay you full price for a definitive diagnosis.
post #25 of 32 Old 03-29-2009, 03:34 PM

What discount? I bought the projector at the winning bid price; more over, I should have been nervous about paying for the item. After all, the whole "optic block" was never mentioned. Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see! I will find out for sure once the item arrives and the polarizer is replaced.
post #26 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslxic View Post

What discount? I bought the projector at the winning bid price; more over, I should have been nervous about paying for the item. After all, the whole "optic block" was never mentioned. Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see! I will find out for sure once the item arrives and the polarizer is replaced.

Quote:

It appears now that he's won the auction, he is demanding both the assurance and the lower auction sale price....which seems unfair to me as I was honest as I could have been in the item description.

...just going by what's been posted. BTW - welcome to AVS Forum!
post #27 of 32 Old 03-30-2009, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslxic View Post

What discount? I bought the projector at the winning bid price;

This is what was meant by discounted price:

The winning price was as low as it was because the projector is defective (thus discounted as a result of the defect).

Other used AE2000U sell on eBay for $1500-$1700.

If I could have said for certain that the problem was the blue polarizer and that the repair would have cost ~$100 for sure, then one could reasonable assume that the value of said projector would be ~$1400-$1600

However, since I couldn't say for certain what the problem was (only what I believed it to be), any potential bidders were taking a certain risk on their purchase. Since the final selling price of the projector was only $970, that risk potentially saved you $430 - $530.

That was what was meant by the discounted price. The risk you took is the reason why the price was so low. I truly do hope that it is the blue polarizer, but nowhere in the item description did I state that I was certain that was the cause of the problem.

Edit:

Furthermore, this question was presented to me by another potential bidder and answered. This question and answer was posted on the auction page several days before the auction ended:

Q: How will it be packaged and what happens if damaged beyond what you've written as a disclaimer? I will not have a warranty and must be able to use what I buy. Would you take less given the use and the potential $100+ needed to correct the issue? Thanks! Mar-14-09
A: The item is double-boxed and will be shipped in it's original shipping materials as show in the photos. The shipment will be insured, so if there is shipping damage a claim must be processed to recover damage costs. Bidders should take the potential repair costs into consideration when placing their bids. Thank you.
post #28 of 32 Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 AM

I know this thread is old but I still wanted to chime in and say thanks. My Pt-AE2000U developed a yellow 'blob' in the middle. I took it apart and the blue polarizer was burnt. I have a new one coming tomorrow from Panasonic.

Thanks guys!
post #29 of 32 Old 07-15-2011, 01:48 PM

I have the same issue and I am about to take the projector off the ceiling to check out the insides - not looking forward to it.

Out of interest 'thearm' where did you order the blue polarizer part from, looks like I will be following in your footsteps in the next 2weeks !
post #30 of 32 Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 PM

This is absolutely amazing - Thanks to all of you, who posted here.

I had exactly one of those yellow blobs on my Panasonic PT-AE2000E. The guy, who sold it to me said, that I just needed to change the bulb, but this didn't do anything to it.

So I searched and found this thread. I found the Service manual here http://servicemanuals.pro/servicemanuals/panasonic/projector/pt-ae2000u_pt-ae2000e-9996/download.html

and followed the instructions to take the blue polarizer out - and - it had a blob the same shape as on screen (so it was burnt). The part had the number TNEC5384, which translates according to the service manual (p70) to the polarizing plate in blue TEEC0050. Unfortunately it's only available as original part, which I found here: http://www.tvserviceparts.com/

So instead going to Panasonic and paying them $150 for even to look at the problem and then replacing the whole LED set for $1000s - it cost me $140 and a couple hours fixing.

Really proud to have done this - first time I took such an electronic thing apart and fixed it!

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Pt Ae2000u Lcd Hd Proj 16k 1 1500 Lumens Hdmi Component Svid Ser
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page