Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
quickly done, SAT HD
no foot, no pause
the deinterlacing is first class! HQV
1080i 50hz and one blu ray shot again
excellent skin tones.(the BBC HD shot "cold" look is the serie itself)
fluidity perfect.
shot taken with lens on (so you get less horizontally)
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2424 Old 09-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Does anyone know how the w6000 handles 24P material?
post #273 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM

After reading Art's review of the W6000 today, I ordered a W6000 and a HW15 for testing.

I'm not a techie, so there won't be any D65 calibration, and I don't have a digital SLR, so I won't be posting any pictures.

And, although I have a copy of the Spears & Munsil, DVE HD Basics, and the original Avia discs, I won't be able to use them becase I sold my Mag 530 BD player last week.

I'll test these projectors by putting them on a rear bookshelf with a TiVo S-3 connected to each of them (I have two S-3's).

With an S-3 connected to each of them, I'll be able to checkout the PQ of the projectors in REAL TIME by blocking the lens of one of them, and then the other. I'll hookup the TiVos directly into the projectors via HDMI, and I'll have the S-3s set to "Native" so that all processing is done by the projectors.

I have Comcast cable (there are four cable cards in the S-3s). I'll record HD shows/movies on both of the S-3s for testing in real time. It's not BD, but it will have to do.

P.S.
It just occurred to me that I could run over to the local evil "C", and "borrow" a Panny 605 BD player so that I could use my BD calibration discs in the testing.

But that would be too evil on my part, when I know that I'd return the player after the testing......right ???

Sure would like to use those calibration discs in the test.......
post #274 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

After reading Art's review of the W6000 today, I ordered a W6000 and a HW15 for testing.

I'm not a techie, so there won't be any D65 calibration, and I don't have a digital SLR, so I won't be posting any pictures.

And, although I have a copy of the Spears & Munsil, DVE HD Basics, and the original Avia discs, I won't be able to use them becase I sold my Mag 530 BD player last week.

I'll test these projectors by putting them on a rear bookshelf with a TiVo S-3 connected to each of them (I have two S-3's).

With an S-3 connected to each of them, I'll be able to checkout the PQ of the projectors in REAL TIME by blocking the lens of one of them, and then the other. I'll hookup the TiVos directly into the projectors via HDMI, and I'll have the S-3s set to "Native" so that all processing is done by the projectors.

I have Comcast cable (there are four cable cards in the S-3s). I'll record HD shows/movies on both of the S-3s for testing in real time. It's not BD, but it will have to do.

P.S.
It just occurred to me that I could run over to the local evil "C", and "borrow" a Panny 605 BD player so that I could use my BD calibration discs in the testing.

But that would be too evil on my part, when I know that I'd return the player after the testing......right ???

What review. I must be looking in the wrong place. I still don't see it. Can you post a link.
post #275 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 PM

post #276 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Hmm...

From the W6000 review...
Quote:
From extensive viewing, the BenQ DI is not one of the smoother out there on today's projectors. True, it's better than some, but more than a few people will not be satisfied with the iris'es action on some types of dark scenes.

I've observed a lot of the same scenes with the BenQ and Epson side-by-side, and also side-by-sides with the BenQ vs. Sony. No doubt about it, both the Sony and Epson have much smoother iris action. In very dark scenes where the BenQ's iris tends to blatantly snap open, the other two projectors handle those scenes just fine by comparison, with the iris action barely detectable. The BenQ as noted isn't the worst out there, but everything else about this projector seems to be first class.

Sounds like they really cranked up the DI to get reasonable black levels with the massive lamp they stuck in it. In comparsion, here's Art's comment from the W5000/VW40 comparison:

Quote:
The W5000 and the VW40 are pretty close to a tie in terms of black levels. Both rely on dynamic irises (the BenQ also has a manual iris, which we normally left pretty wide open for maximum lumens). They will vary more by scene, than overall, as their irises behave differently. If I had to pick a winner, it would be the Sony, but these two are too close for that to be a defining difference.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #277 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 01:31 PM

I must be thick. I do not see the review. All I see is

Next Reviews:
BenQ W6000 (in progress)
post #278 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Liked: 15
I think this is really the best way to decide, side by side. Very interested in your findings, especially regarding the Sony, since its the cheapest LCOS projector out there.

Do you have a projector currently?

Quote:

P.S.

post #279 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 PM

Xavier1:

I have a Panny 200 with 1,371 hours on the lamp.
post #280 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

correction to settings i posted:
Black Level 7.5 (0 is too bright) this is important.
in color management green to 45
brigthness (but that is so dependant of the screen size, type, room) is now 47, contrast 60
this machine is really cleaner than the W5000 in terms of video noise
the W5000 optics maybe we a tad sharper though.
reading Art's review (and I agree) it's a complete different machine than the one reviewed at PCentral.
post #281 of 2424 Old 09-22-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
To set the brightness and contrast accurately, you should use a test disk.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #282 of 2424 Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Art's review was even long for his style. And where are the screenshots?

Does sound promising. The DI issue, time will tell.

I'm more interested in the USB port and the possibility of fw upgrades. My Ben 7700 needed a few to get to the final result. The 8700 had a tortured work around.

Hey, it's almost the second decade of this century. This stuff should be easy.

Joe
post #283 of 2424 Old 09-23-2009, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Bronco70 -- Art's screen shots are coming - it takes him longer to select the right ones, after he finishes the write-up (and that's not really finished either).

It's never easy when you have to come up with a new design, even if it is a "variation on a theme". I know, from personal experience (spacecraft power control equipment design).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #284 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Art's W6000 review is here:

www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w6000/index.php

I really don't understand the calibreted picture here, i tryed the settings on my W6000 and it looks like very unnatrual, to much green and no gray variations just dark and bright areas in the images..

The offsit and gain is preset to +512 in all of mine (ISF menu) can it be that I have to change them so fare down (~50)?
post #285 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post

I really don't understand the calibreted picture here, i tryed the settings on my W6000 and it looks like very unnatrual, to much green and no gray variations just dark and bright images..

I am sorry Mr. Anderson... but you are the victim of a cruel "hope."

That hope is that the settings for one projector can be used on another... unfortunately due to the variations in engines, room environment, lighting, screen surface, and to a great extent each bulb is very very different it is actually "quite rare" for the settings that work for one persons projector to be correct for someone else's.

If it were not so, most if not all of the professional calibrators out there would be out of business.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #286 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post

The offsit and gain is preset to +512 in all of mine (ISF menu) can it be that I have to change them so fare down (~50)?

I bet he is referring to user menu settings where range of the adjustments is different than in the ISF or service menu.
post #287 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Tested the W6000 again last night using Art's calibration settings. I was pleased and detailed movies like Corpse Bride looked simply amazing. It gave me very very good color (although a bit muted compared to the HW-15). It was lacking in depth compared to the HW-15 but was DLP fluid - a good thing! Based on the current calibration settings, the blacks are not very black - this was very evident watching Kong (and being compared to the HW-15 which gave just as much detail but darker shading which made the ape look real rather than CGI inserted).

For me the issue remains the sound of the dynamic IRIS which I may hear and others wont. Its the type of sound you hear when you are a kid getting your ears checked - those high pitched tones. I drives my crazy I tried moving the projector as far as possible away from me to no avail. Dynamic Iris off - no sound. Also, hearing it depends on the material. Where you need the dynamic iris the most, I hear it the most. For example - Corpse Bride - constantly. Dark Knight - less frequently. Prime Time TV shows - much less frequently. Prime Time football - not at all.
post #288 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Actually I was just reading on Art's review that the W6000 has "basic frame interpolation" and not "creative frame interpolation"
Has anyone seen the W6000 can say what impact it has on HDTV sports?
post #289 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

I watched sunday night football. I couldn't see any difference from my previous DLPs (as far as motion is concerned)
post #290 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post

I watched sunday night football. I couldn't see any difference from my previous DLPs (as far as motion is concerned)

thanks - just to check - did you have the motion interp turned on?
post #291 of 2424 Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

I really would like to own this projector. The bright image and dlp motion is what draws me away from my LCOS towards dlp. Is there any sub 3k dlp projectors that do as well as this unit?
post #292 of 2424 Old 09-25-2009, 03:46 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganross View Post

Tested the W6000 again last night using Art's calibration settings. I was pleased and detailed movies like Corpse Bride looked simply amazing. It gave me very very good color (although a bit muted compared to the HW-15). It was lacking in depth compared to the HW-15 but was DLP fluid - a good thing! Based on the current calibration settings, the blacks are not very black - this was very evident watching Kong (and being compared to the HW-15 which gave just as much detail but darker shading which made the ape look real rather than CGI inserted).

For me the issue remains the sound of the dynamic IRIS which I may hear and others wont. Its the type of sound you hear when you are a kid getting your ears checked - those high pitched tones. I drives my crazy I tried moving the projector as far as possible away from me to no avail. Dynamic Iris off - no sound. Also, hearing it depends on the material. Where you need the dynamic iris the most, I hear it the most. For example - Corpse Bride - constantly. Dark Knight - less frequently. Prime Time TV shows - much less frequently. Prime Time football - not at all.

Very interesting. Sounds like the DI would drive me insane, and pretty much makes me cross off the W6000 from my list. How are the blacks if you disable the DI? I'm familiar with the Sony SXRD DI as I have it on my A3000 set, and its practically invisible in operation, but even if I de-activate it, blacks are still very deep.

Have you already sent back the Sharp 15K? I'm still considering it as well as the Sony. The new Epson 8500 sounds really nice, but its not supposed to have a 'film-like' look to it.
post #293 of 2424 Old 09-25-2009, 04:13 PM

I have the W5000 and would love to upgrade.

I think I have it narrowed down to the W6000 if Benq provides a fix for it per Art's request. The Sony HW15 is of interest as well.

I just can't stand the thought of LCD panels going bad after a couple of bulbs -- not sure about the inorganic panels.

Anyway, what a great time to be a buyer.
post #294 of 2424 Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

mirageburbank -- The Sony HW15 uses LCoS panels, they are not LCD panels! They are reflective panels, rather than transmissive as LCD panels are.

BTW, it's the Polarizers that go bad long before the LCD panels do. Unless you run your PJ in high room temperatures (over 75 degrees), and for extremely long sessions (over 10-12 hours), LCD panels/polarizers last for well over 5,000 hours. Most owners replace their PJs well before they have these kinds of problems. Also, the newer panels (since 2008) are less prone to those problems (the inorganic panels, as you noted).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #295 of 2424 Old 09-26-2009, 12:21 AM

i should've known the sony was not lcd. i've read everywhere that it is the cheapest LCOS out there.

It is definitely on my short list.

I am going to wait to see if the Benq W6000 is fixed and really to wait and see what the Benq W30000 is like. That could be the answer.
post #296 of 2424 Old 09-26-2009, 11:28 PM

You know what will help us all here. If someone can post a video of the W6000 to have the camcorder really close to projector to see just much noise we actually get from the projector.
post #297 of 2424 Old 09-26-2009, 11:32 PM

Yet we are all basing our assumptions on miscallaneous reviewers who may or may not have an issue with audio noise levels. If it's not too much to ask, those ppl who already have the projector at hand. A video may just serve justice for us all.
post #298 of 2424 Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashadow10 View Post

Yet we are all basing our assumptions on miscallaneous reviewers who may or may not have an issue with audio noise levels. If it's not too much to ask, those ppl who already have the projector at hand. A video may just serve justice for us all.

Such videos would confuse more than they would clear up. You have no way of knowing how sensitive the mic is, so how on earth are you going to use a recording to evaluate how loud the noise is?

Mvh. Otto, AV Precision
Installer/Calibrator
post #299 of 2424 Old 09-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
This is a DLP pj right? What's the image offset % or in inches? The combo of no offset with v/h lens shift and dlp makes me tingle.

Was able to answer my own question; from http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w6000/tour.php

Quote:
The BenQ W60000 has 0 offset. Translated that means that the projector has just enough vertical lens shift to place the lens even with the top (or bottom) of the screen surface, or anywhere in between.

post #300 of 2424 Old 09-27-2009, 11:50 AM

Are the Brilliant Color and the Dynamic Black settings "universal" with your W6000 ???

When I set either the BC and/or the DB to either on or off, the setting is applied to ALL of the picture modes and ALL of the inputs.

In other words, if I set User1 to BC on, and then set User2 to BC off, User1 (which I had set to on) changes to off also. This really sucks big time.

If you have the time, check to see if this happens with your W6000 too.

Do all of the W6000's have this bug, or is it just mine ???
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page