post #451 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieFan2009 View Post

Since it's a LED DLP it makes sense that it will not be as bright.

I am renevating a 10 year old theater room and need help finding the right PJ for the job. I have a 120" Stewart screen and a 14 1/2 foot throw to it. The room has dark painted walls and blackout screens on the windows. Is the W6000 a good match or is it overkill?

I currently have a 10 year old Sony LCD projector and would like to get a PJ with great contrast, color and black levels. From reading this forum and reviews from other sites the W6000 sounds like a great PJ for the price, but I am concerned that a newer model or another company will put something better out at the start of the new year. I would like to pick one up by the second quarter of 2010.

Any advice would be appreciated

Welcome to the forum!

Since your buying time frame is April-June why not watch this thread and see what we all report.

The W6000 will certainly not be overkill for your setup. It may just be the best pj out there for the $$$.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Liked: 10
I have a 120 inch screen, and looking at the reviews, the options are limited. There are other projectors than can just about handle the size, but once the bulb has dimmed a little, I don't think they will be as good as the W6000.

Quote:

I am renevating a 10 year old theater room and need help finding the right PJ for the job. I have a 120" Stewart screen and a 14 1/2 foot throw to it. The room has dark painted walls and blackout screens on the windows. Is the W6000 a good match or is it overkill?

I currently have a 10 year old Sony LCD projector and would like to get a PJ with great contrast, color and black levels. From reading this forum and reviews from other sites the W6000 sounds like a great PJ for the price, but I am concerned that a newer model or another company will put something better out at the start of the new year. I would like to pick one up by the second quarter of 2010.

Any advice would be appreciated

post #453 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Received my tracking #. It shipped from Tampa, FL and will be here tomorrow.

Gonna be a fun weekend. Better get to work on the honey do list so I can devote the proper time to evaluate the new toy.

Joe
post #454 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

So let's kick this thread up a bit. Calibration findings, HDMI cable length issues, best mode for lots of ambient light. You get the idea.

Definitely up for this! Especially the best living room mode for something like sports viewing. Anyone calibrate a mode for a decent amount of ambient light?

Mine, since ordered Tues, is shipped from PP in FL and will get here tomorrow. I was also told PP's stock were upgraded firmware, so I'll find out tomorrow.
post #455 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Probably way more than bright enough (unless you watch with lots of ambient light). My Planar 8150, my previous W5000, and Infocus IN76 have all been plenty bright on my 110" wide scope screen (1.1-1.2x gain SMX). The screen's a little smaller but not a lot.

Quote:

CEDIA (september) is usually when new projectors are anounced, though BenQ is a bit out of sync. But really the new models for next 6+ months are basically already out, it won't be til summer that we start hearing about new models "en mass".

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #456 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

Definitely up for this! Especially the best living room mode for something like sports viewing. Anyone calibrate a mode for a decent amount of ambient light?

Mine, since ordered Tues, is shipped from PP in FL and will get here tomorrow. I was also told PP's stock were upgraded firmware, so I'll find out tomorrow.

Does anyone know.........

1. How you look up the firmware status on the W6K?

2. What the firmware version was that had the "issue?"

3. What is the version of the firmware with the "fix?"

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #457 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Does anyone know.........

1. How you look up the firmware status on the W6K?

2. What the firmware version was that had the "issue?"

3. What is the version of the firmware with the "fix?"

I'm guessing the service menu like the W5K/20K- don't know the remote command to access it, but perhaps it's still the same. Last menu on right, up down up down.

I haven't seen any firmware numbers. Does anyone have a pre-Nov 9th build with the old firmware that could at least identify that number?
post #458 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 10:12 PM

Well, I got mine today. This seems like a really bright PJ. I don't have my screen yet so I'm going to get some white cloth tomorrow to help finalize my screen size. I just projected onto the black backdrop (black grill cloth stretched over OC703) that will be behind my speakers and the AT screen.

Even on this mateial, I watched serveral scenes of SD-DVD movies and TV with the lamp on econ, cinema mode and brilliant color off - images seem pretty amazing. It almost makes me think I should do a grey screen....

This is my first HT PJ so I don't have anything to compare. Family is happy.

W
post #459 of 2424 Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_1969 View Post

Well, I got mine today. This seems like a really bright PJ. I don't have my screen yet so I'm going to get some white cloth tomorrow to help finalize my screen size. I just projected onto the black backdrop (black grill cloth stretched over OC703) that will be behind my speakers and the AT screen.

Even on this mateial, I watched serveral scenes of SD-DVD movies and TV with the lamp on econ, cinema mode and brilliant color off - images seem pretty amazing. It almost makes me think I should do a grey screen....

This is my first HT PJ so I don't have anything to compare. Family is happy.

W

Gee, throwing an image onto black grill cloth. That is, well, unique.

What size screen are you planning?

Joe
post #460 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 04:23 AM

Yes, that would be unique....impatience got the best of me :-)

I am planning to do a 140-150" wide 2.35...that's the main reason I went with this projector.

I've been waffling around with the best AR and screen size for some time now.

W
post #461 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone have screenshots they could post from a 6000 with the latest firmware?
post #462 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 07:08 AM

Art

On what date did you post your full review of the W6000? I found your preview in September and the DI fix in November, but cannot find the full review you refer to in the later.

Thanks
post #463 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Art

On what date did you post your full review of the W6000? I found your preview in September and the DI fix in November, but cannot find the full review you refer to in the later.

Thanks

If Art reads this, why is the 8500 vs. W6000 competitive section on the review of the 8500 blank? When is that going to be done?

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...petitors.php#4
post #464 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

If Art reads this, why is the 8500 vs. W6000 competitive section on the review of the 8500 blank? When is that going to be done?

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...petitors.php#4

It will probably end up looking a lot like this...

Quote:
W6000 vs. Epson Home Cinema 6500UB nd Home Cinema 8500UB

Essentially, the Epson Home Cinema 8500UB is the replacement for the popular 6500UB. The major differences between the two Epson's, are higher contrast - thanks to a new dynamic iris, and improved creative frame interpolation.

Basically, even the existing 6500UB should still have slightly better blacks overall, compared to the W6000, so the 8500UB will probably be a slight bit better still.

When it comes to color, the Epson's typically aren't quite as film-like, but still really good, and the Epson UB's, in part thanks to their black level performance, will likely have a bit more "pop and wow" to their picture, especially on darker scenes. The BenQ will likely resolve more dark shadow detail.

DLP fans will likely prefer the BenQ for picture quality, as will many purists. In general, though, most enthusiasts will like the Epson package.

The BenQ will have a huge advantage in brightness, in "best mode", and strong appeal therefore to movie fans wanting larger screens.

On the other hand, the Epson should have a slight advantage in brightest output, when you need lumens. And while the Epson at brightest is off on color, with too much green, etc. it is still better color balance wise than the BenQ at similar power (about 1800 lumens). To get respectable color, the BenQ can do about 1250 lumens, and the Epson more like 1500, so give the Epson the advantage (a small one) for maximum lumens.

While placement flexibility of the BenQ W6000 is fine, and will work for most people, the Epson is more flexible, in terms of zoom range and amount of lens shift, but for most people, this will not be an issue

When it comes to fancy features, with Epson you get creative frame interpolation, standard frame interpolation, and other features.

Whether you are sold on creative frame interpolation or not (I like it for sports, and only rarely for movies, but as they refine it, it may be more acceptable for movies.

The Epson's take 24fps movies and can do basic interpolation to 120 fps. Or they can do creative frame interpolation to 96fps. 60 fps content gets taken to 120 fps. There's one aspect of the 8500UB (what it does with 24fps content broadcast over 60 fps. The 6500UB handles that, but not well, The new Epson addresses that, but how it turns out - I'll need a unit to evaluate.

Noise wise, neither Epson nor BenQ are particularly quiet projectors, both on the noisy side of average, or on the quiet side of being noisy. Overall, the Epson is a tad quieter, but more likely it comes down to where you mount your projector. Both have dynamic irises that can just be heard. If you hear it easily, look to your shelf, or mount, it might be resonating, and you can solve that easily enough.

I'm a black level fanatic, like lots of lumens, sharpness, and wow and pop. That splits pretty evenly between these projectors. Last year I favored the Epson 6500UB over the W5000. This year, I'll have to make the call, between the 8500UB and the W6000. It should be interesting. At this point, without having reviewed the Home Cinema 8500UB, it would be a really tough call. I'll wait.

Epson offers a two year warranty with replacement program, BenQ offers a basic one year warranty.

post #465 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, that would be unique....impatience got the best of me :-)

I am planning to do a 140-150" wide 2.35...that's the main reason I went with this projector.

I've been waffling around with the best AR and screen size for some time now.

W

Interesting.........

If you are going with a 2.35 ratio screen... are you only using the projector for Movies?

If not, how are you planning on dealing with the aspect changes?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #466 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM

Since few hours ago Im the happy owner of a w6000 ... its standing on the floor , in its box yet, next to the 120" gray screen. Living room still under refurbishing works, holes on the ceiling for wiring and lights, and wall paper to be picked up tomorrow ...
Wife likes the idea of changing things around in our living room , new sofa also coming , and Im all excited of getting my long- time -dream of doing a true home theather , with the exception of not being in a man cave .. but in our living room, so I ll have to cope with white ceilings and mustard walls , except around the sofas where Im getting approval for a brown wall paper, with some kind of design needed for the likes of the wife.
Well ... cant wait to hook it up, Im so nervous about it. Still A/V receiver to come , shipped already, so this long weekend for me will be spendt projecting from a table through my macbook and plugged to my stereo ... better than nothing !

As soon as I get my receiver to deliver full HD I ll show some screenshots...

Regards and ... you cant imagine how many hours I have spendt the last month reading in this forum ... my eyes actually are hurting

And .. apologuises for my english .. as you can tell by now it´s not my mother tounge
post #467 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 PM

Just received. Two quick pic's, sorry for the quality- just have my iPhone on me. Definitely is smaller and prettier than it's older brothers (W5K/20K)! Gives you an idea how much light it pumps out. That pic is a 9.5 wide image, with 4pm sunlight coming from the window you see, another to the right of it, and two below each downstairs (open loft).

Oh and this is an off-white wall. Standard mode / warm color / BC on. I can't wait to see what the high power will do to it.

Bad news though, mine is manf. August, and menu shows firmware 1.00. It is BenQ, so what do you expect ... but I was expecting more of PP, who claimed all stock they had were upgraded units.
LL
LL
post #468 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM

Thanks LilGator

I look forward to more screenshots from you. Do you think you could take some from directly in front of the screen and when the the room is darker. I have a room with dark walls and blackout shades and would like to get a sense of how the PJ will perform under these contions.
post #469 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 02:22 PM

Good Afternoon!
I'm italian guy, and asap I'll get my W6000!

I's need a favour:
Can someone measure W6000 (WxHxD)?

Thanks!
Marco
post #470 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
LiGator. i'd love to see with more ambient light in the room actually.. can you send pics with more light?
post #471 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogs77 View Post

Good Afternoon!
I'm italian guy, and asap I'll get my W6000!

I's need a favour:
Can someone measure W6000 (WxHxD)?

Thanks!
Marco

ftp://217.21.255.101/projector/manua...0/w6000_en.pdf

prego
post #472 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks LilGator

I look forward to more screenshots from you. Do you think you could take some from directly in front of the screen and when the the room is darker. I have a room with dark walls and blackout shades and would like to get a sense of how the PJ will perform under these contions.

No problem, I'll probably be working on tweaking a night/movie mode tonight, I'll try to get you some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post

LiGator. i'd love to see with more ambient light in the room actually.. can you send pics with more light?

Sorry about that pic, the room was actually a bit brighter than it seems. This is perhaps a closer representation.

I'll see if I can get some pics with a camera showing more ambient indoor light and outdoor light tomorrow.
LL
post #473 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just got mine today. This thing is really bright. I have it throwing a 120" wide 16:9 AT sheerweave screen and it looks fantastic. I have only tweaked contrast, brightness and color a bit and I have it based on cinema, warm and low lamp. I will do a fuller calibration later on, as the theater is not even done yet, but I couldn't wait.

One concern however is the iris. I can see it work very easily...I am not sure that mine has the latest upgraded firmware. It is firmware 1.0 and a manufacture date of Aug 2009. I was specifically told it would be a new firmware unit so I am curious as to if it is or not. If it is, I could imagine the "old" firmware for the iris was awful. Anybody with one care to post their firmware?

Thanks,
Bricktop
post #474 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Played a bit with mine some more today. I made a quick-job fabric screen (white muslin) at 151" wide 2.35 so I could play around with the sizes a bit and this thing is pretty amazing. I have the dynamic iris off, low lamp, and cinema mode. Minor run through with an avia disc to tweek the contrast.
I will attempt a pic tomorrow. Running through a few blu-rays, std dvds and HD tv.
post #475 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So im looking to upgrade next year or in a month or two, im really looking at the 6000 or 8500 ub love to here more comparisons.

Also from the previous w5000 owners.

I love a bright picture but i have a high power and screen is 96 inches. So I think the 6000 would be overkill. I do love brightness, but im finding my w5000 at the moment with 1700 hours on it and iris all the way open (Bc off) to be perfectly bright, I think the 6000 would be to bright especially for a smaller screen.

Love to here more though about w5000 vs 6000 and especially the noise, the most noticeable issue i have is noise in the picture, i have a flea that clears some of it up, but i still find it distracting on some movies. I have no idea how much my flea is cleaning compared to what a typical lcd would show.

I do know it cleans up quite a bit with my low settings, enough so that when I dont have it on, i can tell right away, i dont think i could tolerate the w5000 noise without the flea, and thank god at its low settings it clears up alot of noise, with no loss in detail at least none that i can see with my eyes even when I pause and split screen the picture.
post #476 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post

One concern however is the iris. I can see it work very easily...I am not sure that mine has the latest upgraded firmware. It is firmware 1.0 and a manufacture date of Aug 2009. I was specifically told it would be a new firmware unit so I am curious as to if it is or not. If it is, I could imagine the "old" firmware for the iris was awful. Anybody with one care to post their firmware?

Thanks,
Bricktop

Well the picture is clearing up.....

Apparently the email that Bronco received about their being no firmware since Aug for the US models... is accurate as everyone so far has the 1.0 firmware.... I guarantee you that the initial release DID NOT come with version .9 of the firmware!

Which also means that the information we were given from PP's sales staff was blatantly false. Now I do not believe this was a deception on the part of the sales staff... but rather someone higher up the chain that made the decision to move out the inventory and we will deal with the firmware issue later... so that person made the decision to tell their sales staff the "story" that all their inventory had the updated firmware... when in reality no one except Art and BenQ really had the updated firmware.

What we need is for Art to tell us which version of the firmware his "improved" W6K is running.... now if his also has version 1.0 wouldn't that make my diatribe look silly!!

post #477 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Played a bit with mine some more today. I made a quick-job fabric screen (white muslin) at 151" wide 2.35 so I could play around with the sizes a bit and this thing is pretty amazing. I have the dynamic iris off, low lamp, and cinema mode. Minor run through with an avia disc to tweek the contrast.
I will attempt a pic tomorrow. Running through a few blu-rays, std dvds and HD tv.

I am still quite curious as to how you are handling the aspect ratio changes between 2.35 movies and 1.78 HD.

post #478 of 2424 Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

how are the blacks if not using dynamic iris (ie. manual)?

post #479 of 2424 Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 AM

Anthony

I went through the construction threads of your theater and am very impressed by what you designed and built. Do you have finished photos you could share?
post #480 of 2424 Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Well the picture is clearing up.....

Apparently the email that Bronco received about their being no firmware since Aug for the US models... is accurate as everyone so far has the 1.0 firmware.... I guarantee you that the initial release DID NOT come with version .9 of the firmware!

Which also means that the information we were given from PP's sales staff was blatantly false. Now I do not believe this was a deception on the part of the sales staff... but rather someone higher up the chain that made the decision to move out the inventory and we will deal with the firmware issue later... so that person made the decision to tell their sales staff the "story" that all their inventory had the updated firmware... when in reality no one except Art and BenQ really had the updated firmware.

What we need is for Art to tell us which version of the firmware his "improved" W6K is running.... now if his also has version 1.0 wouldn't that make my diatribe look silly!!

Looks like that last part could be a possibility.

Here is the response from PP about my unit:

Unfortunately there is some inaccurate information out there- here are two emails, one from our product mgr and the other from the head guy at BENQ that state there is nothing to this firmware upgrade. I guess if you did want to discuss it more w/ BENQ you could always contact them. thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 2:08 PM
Subject: RE: Benq W6000
it is a minor change that concerns color implementation and can be achieved with user interface, the questions raised by Art in pre-production sample were "adjusted" and sent to him to amend his review.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 9:32 AM
Subject: BenQ W6000 Information
I finally learned that all the hype about firmware is just that, Hype.* The rumors started as a result of a comment on Art's review stating that he HOPED BenQ would do a firmware change for the Iris in the unit, please see below.
I'm waiting right now to hear back from BenQ, we've been discussing the iris, and I'm hoping to hear that they will be able to make firmware changes to improve it. Other than that, the BenQ W6000 is an extremely well balanced, first class projector for the money
Here is the link to the review, I hope this helps answer the questions about the firmware upgrade.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w6000/index.php
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely, Rodney Laney,*CTS, ISF-C
Vice President -*Display Technology
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page