post #631 of 2424 Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pickering View Post

How I wish for a few static iris settings in a firmware update.

You can change the static iris position in the service menu. It pretty much just brings the white and black down the same (the same on/off CR) for a dimmer image, but if that is what you want it can be done.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2424 Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Mr.Green72: I came from a Sharp Z12000mk2 to the W6000

I also have that Sharp, and am considering either the W6000 or the 8500. I'm throwing 22' to a 140" image on a white wall, so I'm obviously short on lumens now. Especially with my 2000 hour bulb. Are you satisified that the W6000 was a worthwhile upgrade from the Sharp?
post #633 of 2424 Old 01-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green72 View Post

This one is on my short list but I'm very worried about the noise level. How bad is it?

I'm upgrading from a Sharp XV-Z3000 which is one loud mofo and I wouldn't mind silence.

The W6000 is not too loud, in my experience with it. The DI is a bit noisy to me, but it can be turned off. ("Dynamic Black" is the setting that turns it off.)

I've had mine for a couple of weeks and had intended to return it due to problems getting the vertical lens shift to match what's stated in the manual, and rainbows being a bit more noticeable than I'd like. However I've managed to tweak both somewhat, though the image shift still didn't do exactly what I needed and I ended up having to use some keystone adjustment. I'm still not completely set on keeping it - want to and might try the Sony VPL-HW15 if I can confirm that its vertical shift range would work for me.
post #634 of 2424 Old 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

Yea, I got about 4000 hours before the color wheel shattered. My first lamp made it past 2400hrs, the second about 1300hrs and then, with only a few hundred hrs on the new lamp, the color wheel died. Until then, I hadn't had any problems out of it, except the short hrs on that second lamp, that is. I ran my projector on eco mode 99% of the time.

I can't plop down $4000 every 4 years for a theater, and that's not counting lamps. I love this giant screen and everything, but $1000 a year I just can't do. Without paying a bundle for electronics that become obsolete so quickly, I really need to buy quality. Optoma has not impressed me in that regard. The BenQ seems like it will give me too much rbe and I was not thrilled with how long it took to get someone on the phone there that could answer my questions about their products. LCD just seems out of the question with my love for the "Pixar look" of DLP. So, LCOS is being considered. My only reservation is that I keep thinking how much I love that 3D look of DLP.

BTW, I originally had the H78DC3 set up on a 96" 4:3 digital gray screen in a regular white-walled living room, light controlled with windows blocked out. Then we moved and I set it up on a 144" 16:9 CRT white screen in an all flat-black, light-less room. I didn't know if the old H78 could pull it off, but it did - quite impressively - with about a 16.5' throw, fully zoomed out. Everyone that saw the image it threw was amazed - and still all in eco mode.

One thing I learned, without a doubt, is the value of killing all those reflective surfaces. Now, when the light hits the screen, it doesn't bounce off the walls and other stuff causing any kind of wash out. Just like at the movies, but with an even better picture. Very impressive...... 'til the Optoma died. I considered fixing it (for about a grand), but now I'm all giddy to get 1080p.

LCOS, huh? The JVC RS10 is the same price as the HD8200, from what I'm finding on-line. So, I won't miss the DLP "pop", ya think?

This poster ended up going with the Mits HC3800, you can read his review over in that thread...

This page, starting at post #1449>
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...174443&page=49
post #635 of 2424 Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 188
Quote:

This one is on my short list but I'm very worried about the noise level. How bad is it?

At 60Hz it's louder than the Sony, Panasonic and Epson projectors. With the Sony you can't tell it's on and the W6000 you can't miss as it never disappears. I will say it's a low pitch hum rather than being high pitched.

However when you go 48Hz it gets much louder to the point of whole another level. You can make 48Hz even quieter than 60Hz by changing the color wheel to 2x in the service menu (although it keeps resetting itself). I viewed my old projector at 48Hz and it was fine but it might produce more rainbows and whatnot at the slower speed.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #636 of 2424 Old 01-08-2010, 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the answers guys. I think I'll scratch this one off my list.

Probably would have bought the Panny AE4000 by now if they weren't downright laughing at Canadians...

Can't wait for Art's LG CF181D review. Assuming he even reviews it before next year's models come out...
post #637 of 2424 Old 01-08-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for all the answers guys. I think I'll scratch this one off my list.

Probably would have bought the Panny AE4000 by now if they weren't downright laughing at Canadians...

Can't wait for Art's LG CF181D review. Assuming he even reviews it before next year's models come out...

Good luck, have read the posts about Panasonic and Canada. Makes no sense to treat our good northern friends to a different standard.

Why would they want to do that?

The Vancouver Olympics will look fantastic on my screen with the W6000.

Why off the list?

There has been some misinformation around here. To wit all the concern early on concerning the DI function.

After now, 150 or so hours watching, a non issue. Yes I could go back into reviewer mode with audio muted and hear the action of the DI along with the Fan.

Who cares? Not real world conditions.

What is the actual noise floor in your room? Below 30 dB or so?

Then there is the question of RBE.

Must admit I'm not sensitive, but I have no concern that it is a problem with the W6000.

For $2K this is a great pj.

Joe
post #638 of 2424 Old 01-09-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdmb View Post

I also have that Sharp, and am considering either the W6000 or the 8500. I'm throwing 22' to a 140" image on a white wall, so I'm obviously short on lumens now. Especially with my 2000 hour bulb. Are you satisified that the W6000 was a worthwhile upgrade from the Sharp?

Overall I think it was a worthy upgrade. The 1080p is definitely there, and the lens is good enough to resolve it cleanly. I do notice more rainbow, but mostly only when induced. I definitely don't need the extra lumens this has, as I'm only on a 96" diag 16:9 Da-Lite HighPower, which worked perfect for the Sharp in ultra high contrast mode (low lamp and minimum iris). I'll probably dive into the service menu at some point and crank down the maximum as Darin said above.

My main reason for replacing the Sharp was the never ending replacement of $400 lamps at 1900hrs, many of which had flickering issues. I should be able to get 3000 (or more in eco mode) on the $300 BenQ lamps. I kind of see the W6000 as a good way to get 1080p until the LED/Laser driven ones come down in price a bit more.
post #639 of 2424 Old 01-09-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

At 60Hz it's louder than the Sony, Panasonic and Epson projectors. With the Sony you can't tell it's on and the W6000 you can't miss as it never disappears. I will say it's a low pitch hum rather than being high pitched.

However when you go 48Hz it gets much louder to the point of whole another level. You can make 48Hz even quieter than 60Hz by changing the color wheel to 2x in the service menu (although it keeps resetting itself). I viewed my old projector at 48Hz and it was fine but it might produce more rainbows and whatnot at the slower speed.

Very odd, I don't notice any extra noise at 48Hz vs 60Hz on my unit. Source is my HTPC at either 1080p24 or 1080p60. I do catch a bit of extra color wheel whine at 1080p50 when I play the occasional 25fps sources, but its not much more than a slight tone change.
post #640 of 2424 Old 01-09-2010, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can someone post their calibrations in dynamic mode?
post #641 of 2424 Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very odd, I don't notice any extra noise at 48Hz vs 60Hz on my unit.

Darin reported it as well so I believe it's standard equipment.

I also noticed that it was a fair amount louder with 1080p24 input than 1080p60 input.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17657161

| 
|
|
|
post #642 of 2424 Old 01-09-2010, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 1080p is definitely there, and the lens is good enough to resolve it cleanly.

After trying two Epson's 8500UB that had really bad convergence and or color uniformity issues I was really looking forward to the one-chip W6000. However with one unit the entire right side of the image was smeared and on the other unit the blue pixel was out of alignment across the entire screen. I'm guessing it was from chromatic aberration. If so they had it much worse than my old Optoma HD80.

I will say using their enhancement tools you could make the image appear very sharp without any real side affects (edge enhancement) however it did nothing for keeping a single white pixel white across the image. So far surprisingly the Sony VPL-HW15 (after two units) appears to handle that the best.

| 
|
|
|
post #643 of 2424 Old 01-09-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

Why off the list?

There has been some misinformation around here. To wit all the concern early on concerning the DI function.

After now, 150 or so hours watching, a non issue. Yes I could go back into reviewer mode with audio muted and hear the action of the DI along with the Fan.

Who cares? Not real world conditions.

What is the actual noise floor in your room? Below 30 dB or so?

Then there is the question of RBE.

Must admit I'm not sensitive, but I have no concern that it is a problem with the W6000.

For $2K this is a great pj.

Joe

I sold my W5000 to upgrade to the W6000. I liked the idea of more lumens and DC3. But....The RBE and noise issue have held me off. I haven't found a place to demo it to see for myself and there's been too little info to make me take the plunge. Now with several new PJ's coming out I'm kind of in a hold pattern.
post #644 of 2424 Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Liked: 11
Fed Ex just delivered my new W6000 which is replacing a Mitsubishi HC4900. I expect to see quite a difference between this two as far as contrast and I also expect a little bit more brightness out of the Benq. I am however a little weary due to all the negative noise, DI talk... since I am not totally new at this...(my 1st PJ was a PT-AE700U and I also had an Optoma HD20) I hope to have an unbiased "regular Joe" review of the Benq. Now I will not be able to play with it much this week, but I will digg into it starting sunday morning....gotta watch my "Boy's" take down the Viqueens! Wish me Luck...Over and Out!!!
post #645 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

This poster ended up going with the Mits HC3800, you can read his review over in that thread...

This page, starting at post #1449>
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...174443&page=49

If you analyze Art's review, he does agree W6000 throw a better PQ compare to HC3800. At the time of writing, the difference is USD 1.3k (without the smooth iris update). For those getting at special price with USD 500 difference and latest firmware, I think it is a better buy overall compare to HC3800.

Anyway, anyone confirm W6000 is DC3 chip? I suspect it is only DC2 as the ANSI contrast is only measured around 500++:1 compare to Optoma HD82 (680:1).
post #646 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post

LCD just seems out of the question with my love for the "Pixar look" of DLP. So, LCOS is being considered. My only reservation is that I keep thinking how much I love that 3D look of DLP.

LCOS, huh? The JVC RS10 is the same price as the HD8200, from what I'm finding on-line. So, I won't miss the DLP "pop", ya think?

I've just bought a JVC HD100 (RS2) after having had an Optoma HD80 and then very recently (for about 25 lamp hours) an HD82. I found the HD82 threw a lovely sharp image. Just beautiful! However, it's iris (at least the one of my machine which I believe to be faulty) is problematic to say the least. Far too noticeable for me. So I went for the JVC. I found the promise of better blacks and shadow detail over the HD82 to be true. The JVC truly excels in this department. Even in bright scenes the JVC does pretty well compared to the HD82 - and all without an iris. So there's plenty of 'pop' with the JVC - especially in high power lamp mode (but I don't like to use that due fan noise and effects on lamp life). However, the JVC is not as sharp as the HD82 and I'm wondering how long it will take me to get used to the softer DiLA look (many reviewers speak of it as more 'cinematic' and 'film-like' image in comparison to DLP's 'digitally-processed' look). I'm really not that difficult to please. I just want the JVC with the sharpness of DLP. Impossible to achieve?
post #647 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjyap View Post

If you analyze Art's review, he does agree W6000 throw a better PQ compare to HC3800. At the time of writing, the difference is USD 1.3k (without the smooth iris update). For those getting at special price with USD 500 difference and latest firmware, I think it is a better buy overall compare to HC3800.

Well if you further analyze Art's review, you will note that he never turned the W6000's DI off, and he was comparing to a non-DI HC3800. His account of better blacks/contrast with the W6000 had the caveat of the noticable DI action (which the HC3800 obviously has none of).

I myself don't like DI's...or at the least, I'd want the PJ to have good native contrast 1st, so I can have the option of turning the DI off if it annoys me and still get good blacks/contrast.

darinp2 measured LESS than 1000:1 contrast with the DI off on the W6000

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=486

Sorry, that is just pathetic. The HC3800 measured 2400:1 native (cine4home).

If you need super high lumens 'cos you wanna watch sports on a large screen with ambient lighting, then yes, the W6000 will outperform the HC3800 (Art is also partial to high lumen PJ's in his reviews---due to his sports watching). If you don't mind the DI issues, then yes, the W6000 will outperform the HC3800 in contrast/blacks.

Otherwise.....
post #648 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM

Wow that's nice! But a little expensive.
post #649 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

However, the JVC is not as sharp as the HD82 and I'm wondering how long it will take me to get used to the softer DiLA look (many reviewers speak of it as more 'cinematic' and 'film-like' image in comparison to DLP's 'digitally-processed' look). I'm really not that difficult to please. I just want the JVC with the sharpness of DLP. Impossible to achieve?

I'm afraid I found it really hard to agree with those "cinematic" and "film-like" claims after testing the JVCs. These are really mostly just euphemisms for "soft".

When the films we watch are being post-produced at the digital intermediate stage, or telecined & transferred to HD, they're monitored on professional monitors whose role is simply to be "correct" and "accurate", rather than "cinematic" and "film-like". These are the qualities I'm striving for at home, and even in the year 2010 - only DLP cuts it.

Even apart from the overall softness, the DiLA motion-smear alone was a deal-breaker, and I decided that I could never get used to it.
At this stage, it looks like I'll be happily hanging onto my W5000 until an LED / 3-D replacement comes along.

post #650 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

I'm afraid I found it really hard to agree with those "cinematic" and "film-like" claims after testing the JVCs. These are really mostly just euphemisms for "soft".

Having just had multiple (of each type) LCD, SXRD and DLP projectors in my theater within the last month I think the differences are much smaller than the similarities.

I have spent time with the following...
  • Epson 8500UB
  • BenQ W6000
  • Sony VPL-VW15
From normal viewing distance while watching movies any differences are extremely hard to spot. Since my receiver has dual HDMI output I have done several instant A/B comparisons (much more revealing than your bias memory). Now looking at text close up such as the projector's menu or PS3 screens the W6000 will appear sharper. Much in the way a TV will appear sharper set to Dynamic than Cinema. However both will contain the same amount of detail.

It simply comes down to one's preference. I have owned several JVC projectors and my last was a DLP. Currently I tend to see SXRD as smoother than DLP such as it's more relaxing and not as in your face. An image that disappears quicker into the content.

| 
|
|
|
post #651 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Having just had multiple (of each type) LCD, SXRD and DLP projectors in my theater within the last month I think the differences are much smaller than the similarities.

I have spent time with the following...
  • Epson 8500UB
  • BenQ W6000
  • Sony VPL-VW15
From normal viewing distance while watching movies any differences are extremely hard to spot........
.......Currently I tend to see SXRD as smoother than DLP such as it's more relaxing and not as in your face. An image that disappears quicker into the content.

Fair call. Two questions, though...

* Are you bothered by motion smear/blur, and can you not see it clearly on a JVC compared to a DLP?

* Was quite impressed with what I saw of the Sony VW10. Am keen to see the VW15 out of curiosity. Could you see any significant sharpness/motion differences between it and the JVCs?

post #652 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've just bought a JVC HD100 (RS2) after having had an Optoma HD80 and then very recently (for about 25 lamp hours) an HD82. I found the HD82 threw a lovely sharp image. Just beautiful! However, it's iris (at least the one of my machine which I believe to be faulty) is problematic to say the least. Far too noticeable for me. So I went for the JVC. I found the promise of better blacks and shadow detail over the HD82 to be true. The JVC truly excels in this department. Even in bright scenes the JVC does pretty well compared to the HD82 - and all without an iris. So there's plenty of 'pop' with the JVC - especially in high power lamp mode (but I don't like to use that due fan noise and effects on lamp life). However, the JVC is not as sharp as the HD82 and I'm wondering how long it will take me to get used to the softer DiLA look (many reviewers speak of it as more 'cinematic' and 'film-like' image in comparison to DLP's 'digitally-processed' look). I'm really not that difficult to please. I just want the JVC with the sharpness of DLP. Impossible to achieve?

I recently watched Avatar in the cinema and I recall what film like means... soft. I'm use to DLP sharpness.
post #653 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric_Haggis View Post

Fair call. Two questions, though...

* Are you bothered by motion smear/blur, and can you not see it clearly on a JVC compared to a DLP?

* Was quite impressed with what I saw of the Sony VW10. Am keen to see the VW15 out of curiosity. Could you see any significant sharpness/motion differences between it and the JVCs?

When checking out projectors one of the discs I use is Crank (Chapter 7 I think) and I looked for just that... motion blur and I didn't notice any difference between the W6000 and HW15. Not sure I'm the best for spotting it however.

One thing I did notice was how the HW15's image appears cleaner which I'm guessing is from the lack of pixel structure and the lack of dancing pixels DLPs tend to do in large areas (especially dark ones).

Supposedly the HW15 has doubled the native contrast of the HW10 so it should be a good jump up. I never looked at the HW10 so I can't compare.

I haven't owned a JVC in many years so I can't speak for them. I will say back then I didn't have an issue with blurring. I tend to only watch movies so to some extent it wouldn't be as obvious.

One thing of interest to me is how this DLP sharpness is so artificial. I'm not saying it isn't real to the eye or whatnot. What I'm saying is both of the W6000s I tried had more fringing from chromatic aberration than the HW15 did from panel alignment and chromatic aberration.

Such that a single pixel white line was up to 3 pixels on the W6000 but never more than 2 on the HW15 (mostly at the edges). So in reality the HW15 is sharper than the W6000. Of course based on how those pixels are presented our eyes may see it completely differently.

| 
|
|
|
post #654 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One thing I did notice was how the HW15's image appears cleaner which I'm guessing is from the lack of pixel structure and the lack of dancing pixels DLPs tend to do in large areas (especially dark ones).

And the W6000 seems to be known as a noisier (image noise) than average DLP.
post #655 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM
bub
Advanced Member

Is it true the W5000 uses a .95 DMD (is that right?) and the W6000 the smaller (is it .65) panel?
post #656 of 2424 Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I recently watched Avatar in the cinema and I recall what film like means... soft. I'm use to DLP sharpness.

Yes, one of the reasons I stopped going was because I was disappointed by the PQ everytime I went to my local multiplex. I felt that my DLP at home gave me a better picture - in particular a sharper, more detailed picture. But is that what the director intended? Is it, as I've so often heard reviewers say critically regarding DLP, an artificial 'digitally processed' look? Another question with regard to DiLA/LCOS v DLP: when people speak about the former as being 'soft' do they mean by that lacking in resolution? Certainly the DLP picture gives the impression of resolving more detail.
post #657 of 2424 Old 01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Just got my W6000. A bit concern as my manufacturing date is Aug 2009. I check the firmware and it's version 1.00 and in the service menu I can see that the Released Date is 2009/07/02, DLP Compose 0.06. System COntrol MCU a2 - 0.20. Can anyone with Oct 09 manufacturing date post the above as comparison.

DB Aperture position +12
DB Aperture Max. +84
DB Aperture Min. +12
DB Strength +2

Anyway, I haven't calibrate the projector as my current mounting position is too near. Will try to get it done by next week. Initial viewing with Cinema mode, Gamma 2.2, Warm temperature. My first impression is HD82 had more pop compare to W6000 (I do calibrate HD82 so it might not be a fair comparision). The iris is not that obvious compare to HD82 (using Dark Knight at SWAT team chapter). You still can see the iris movement if you analyse frame by frame but normal viewing should be ok. The iris noise and fan noise is not an issue. You are not watching movie with sound off, right?

More update once I have more time to play with the projector.
post #658 of 2424 Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got my W6000. A bit concern as my manufacturing date is Aug 2009. I check the firmware and it's version 1.00 and in the service menu I can see that the Released Date is 2009/07/02, DLP Compose 0.06. System COntrol MCU a2 - 0.20. Can anyone with Oct 09 manufacturing date post the above as comparison.

DB Aperture position +12
DB Aperture Max. +84
DB Aperture Min. +12
DB Strength +2

Anyway, I haven't calibrate the projector as my current mounting position is too near. Will try to get it done by next week. Initial viewing with Cinema mode, Gamma 2.2, Warm temperature. My first impression is HD82 had more pop compare to W6000 (I do calibrate HD82 so it might not be a fair comparision). The iris is not that obvious compare to HD82 (using Dark Knight at SWAT team chapter). You still can see the iris movement if you analyse frame by frame but normal viewing should be ok. The iris noise and fan noise is not an issue. You are not watching movie with sound off, right?

More update once I have more time to play with the projector.

rjyap, I thought you had an HD82. How come you decided on the W6000?
post #659 of 2424 Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

rjyap, I thought you had an HD82. How come you decided on the W6000?

I loan a demo unit HD82 from a local reseller for 3 days. In the end, I didn't get it as my local reseller can't get an answer from Optoma if 3D firmware will be a free upgrade for HD82. The special price from Amazon seal the deal for W6000. I'm thinking if W6000 can last me for few years until LED DLP become mainstream, then I wouldn't want to invest too much into current 1080p projector.

Another strange design on W6000 lens shift as one of the forumer point out, is at zero offset, the lens shift is at lowest. If you shift the lens to the middle, the projector need to be hang below the top of the screen.

As comparison, Optoma HD82 zero offset lens shift is +/- half screen height. For W6000, it is + 1 screen height. Which means for the lens shift to be in the middle, your projector need to be at the center of the screen.
post #660 of 2424 Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 AM

Hi all,

Would this projector be to bright for my condition? I have a 100" Carada Briliant white screen with the projecter being ceiling mounted about 13' away. This is a home theater room with 3 enclosed walls but the back is open and I have some light that seeps in from around 30 feet. Thanks
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page