Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #901 of 2424 Old 08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I was originally thinking about this, but switch to LG CF181D (as I do not want to risk the RBE). I do have the Seymour AV screen. Since they have comparable brightness, my experience with a bright PJ + Seymour AV is quite good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2424 Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fight4yu View Post

I was originally thinking about this, but switch to LG CF181D (as I do not want to risk the RBE). I do have the Seymour AV screen. Since they have comparable brightness, my experience with a bright PJ + Seymour AV is quite good.

Thanks for your feedback. I belive Benq W6k doesn't have RBE as per review in projectorreviews.com and I hope it has a 5x speed 6 segment color wheel if Im not wrong.
post #903 of 2424 Old 08-20-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it only have 4x speed, from some references I read... hence my decision to "not risk" it for the RBE.. since I can't find a place to actually see it myself.
post #904 of 2424 Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I think it only have 4x speed, from some references I read... hence my decision to "not risk" it for the RBE.. since I can't find a place to actually see it myself.

Hi,

Are you sure?....any member who owns can confirm this pls...

Secondly, will there be moire effect on AT screens, say Seymour AV which Iam planning.
post #905 of 2424 Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

If you do a search on this thread, there are people reporting 3x only at 24Hz.
It had 6 segments, but the speed I believe is only maximum at 4x.
Seymour Screen claimed no Moire on their screen. You might get a better answer if you post on that thread instead...
post #906 of 2424 Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM

i like it .this is a good post,how can i connect you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #907 of 2424 Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:

If you do a search on this thread, there are people reporting 3x only at 24Hz.
It had 6 segments, but the speed I believe is only maximum at 4x.
Seymour Screen claimed no Moire on their screen. You might get a better answer if you post on that thread instead...

Thanks for the inputs....

Will post as per your suggestion.
But not got reply about the RBE from other members
post #908 of 2424 Old 08-20-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eummagic View Post

RBE is quite "personal". If you believe in statistics though, most people will NOT see it.. but I guess if you are one of those people, then statistic is useless

Both W6000 and LG are recommended by projectorreview, with LG a slight favor from Arts. To me, W6000 also had a slightly longer minimum throw distance which is borderline in my room, so I don't want to risk it.
post #909 of 2424 Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:

RBE is quite "personal". If you believe in statistics though, most people will NOT see it.. but I guess if you are one of those people, then statistic is useless

Both W6000 and LG are recommended by projectorreview, with LG a slight favor from Arts. To me, W6000 also had a slightly longer minimum throw distance which is borderline in my room, so I don't want to risk it.

Thanks once again for your feedback...
post #910 of 2424 Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eummagic View Post

Most of you people want to buy something and do not know what you are buying. The BENQ W6000 is a 6 speed color wheel. Go to projector central. com and check it out. 3X, 4X,speeds are from older dlp projectors.
post #911 of 2424 Old 08-28-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azblue View Post

Most of you people want to buy something and do not know what you are buying. The BENQ W6000 is a 6 speed color wheel. Go to projector central. com and check it out. 3X, 4X,speeds are from older dlp projectors.

Hi. I have checked projector central.com and could not find any reference as to the speed of the color wheel.. The 2 links I checked are:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W6000.htm

and

http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq...tor_review.htm

Even in the user manual, it only mentioned it had 6 SEGMENT color wheel, but never mentioned it had 6x speed.

So, can you kindly point us the reference on where it said it is 6x SPEED?
post #912 of 2424 Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

In fact, one review I said mentioned it is only 4X speed:

http://flatscreentvstands.biz/benq-w...dlp-projector/

Check the comment by Paul E. Heroy on 3/22/2010...

Dynamic Black seemed to cause little ‘iris too much noise, so I turned off and didn ‘a great difference is observed in the overall picture. But a problem has returned. . . Rainbow. The color wheel is actually only 4x speed, the speed of 6x using the HD80 it.

and from avsforum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1208674
Post #6 ..
The W6000 is sharper(but noisy picture) n brighter(don't need it in a light-control room) than Sony. Plus, I saw the rainbow effect with its 4x speed colorwheel.
post #913 of 2424 Old 08-28-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 87
The W6000 has a 6 Segment wheel, NOT a 6x speed.
post #914 of 2424 Old 08-31-2010, 12:33 PM

Hi 2 all...

Can anyone compare w6000 and w6500 PJs? I think about buying w6000 or w6500 PJ. W6000 price is on 300$ cheaper than w6500. Do the differences between this two models cost 300$? Or they are equal and it doesn't matter what model to buy? I see only one difference in brightness and w6500 is more quiet...

Thanks for any suggestjions...
post #915 of 2424 Old 09-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What is the W6500?
post #916 of 2424 Old 09-07-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

What is the W6500?

An "improved" version of the W6000...

Which BenQ has deemed the USA unworthy of.......

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #917 of 2424 Old 09-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

How was it improved?
post #918 of 2424 Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Good Question......

I have no clue... but the spec's are better if you compare the two side-by-side.

You used to be able to do that on the UK BenQ website... not sure if you still can or not.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

- Use Password = AVSForum
post #919 of 2424 Old 09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Is BenQ supposed to be bringing us anything new at Cedia this year?
post #920 of 2424 Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

Is BenQ supposed to be bringing us anything new at Cedia this year?

That's what I've been asking but no one seems to have an answer. I only want to know b/c I'm hoping for deep discounts on the w6000.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #921 of 2424 Old 09-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any insider info?
post #922 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 04:46 AM

Jrur...

I have the W6500, it has 60,000:1 contrast as apposed to the W6000's 50,000:1.

The W6500 is a great projector, the only issue I have is with RBE and oddly enough as time goes on it is becoming less perceptable. Maybe the lamp is settling down.

I have a query. The W6000 has an updated firmware of 1.01, I believe.

My W6500 is still on 1.00. I have queried Benq UK and they have informed me that this is the most current firmware for the W6500.

Can anyone confirm this?

In addition tryin to find calibration settings for the W6500 is like trying to find rocking horse pooh. Anybody calibrated for a completely light controlled room with a matt white 0 gain screen?
post #923 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidion View Post

Jrur...

I have the W6500, it has 60,000:1 contrast as apposed to the W6000's 50,000:1.

The W6500 is a great projector, the only issue I have is with RBE and oddly enough as time goes on it is becoming less perceptable. Maybe the lamp is settling down.

I have a query. The W6000 has an updated firmware of 1.01, I believe.

My W6500 is still on 1.00. I have queried Benq UK and they have informed me that this is the most current firmware for the W6500.

Can anyone confirm this?

In addition tryin to find calibration settings for the W6500 is like trying to find rocking horse pooh. Anybody calibrated for a completely light controlled room with a matt white 0 gain screen?

Well, is it even possible to get a W6500 in the US? If so, I wonder if there are any really "noticeable" differences with PQ as well. They one thing that projectorreview.com gigged the W6000 on is its contrast level. ANy ideas?

I love the ability of the high lumes and sharp picture in my not so perfect room (ambient light).
post #924 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I've been looking at this one for a while now, especially since you can get it overnighted through Prime on Amazon. I'm still using a 5 year old Panasonic 900, so I'd think nearly anything would be a nice improvement (honestly, I'm not super picky about picture quality like I am sound quality). I can see and hear the iris working in my current projector, so I'm hoping that wouldn't bother me too much with this one. No idea about rainbows, though. If CEDIA doesn't have anything to sway me, I'll probably just give this one a shot (I need a bright image). I'm not sure about Amazon's return policy on projectors, so I'll have to look into that.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #925 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Hi all,

Don't know Iam posting in the right thread, since its related to DLP projectors and a few above posts relate to the same subject. I thought of asking it here so that others members can advise accordingly.

Is RBE in DLP based on ones individual vision in seeing things (eye problem or say like eg. color blindness) or is it a problem in the projector, no matter a person doesn't get RBE also experience if the projector has it?

Iam a newbie to projectors and have not got an opportunity to experience this RBE in DLP, in that case how to determine that I would experience RBE when viewing DLP? Like, to test whether we are color blind there are sites offering various images. Likewise, any such sample videos/images to test beforehand.

Sorry for posting such a silly question and I apologise for that.
post #926 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Not a silly question, the only silly questions are the ones that aren't asked.

You will get a few different opinions to your question. I think it's fair to say that the great majority of viewers do not see RBE, or are not bothered by it. There is another group that sees it and doesn't care. Finally, there is a group that I think is less than 5% who absolutely can't stand watching a picture through the RBE.

RBE is caused by the physics or optics of the moving wheel interacting with the way our visual perception is wired. Permit me an over-simplification of the DLP process. In DLPs, light is shined through a color wheel that spins. Typically the wheel will have the 3 primary colors, or 2 sets of 3 colors, and may have one or more additional colored or black sectors. The spinning wheel is timed with the DLP chip mirrors to reflect blue, green and red signal each time (or two times) the wheel turns one revolution. This creates the needed primary color components of the each frame of the signal which are then combined with lenses and projected. RBE is in part an artifact of this process in a 1 chip DLP. In a 3 chip DLP you won't see it. As it happens, the faster you spin the color wheel, the less visible is RBE. In recent years wheels have been made to spin faster. Originally they spun at 1X per frame. Now they spin at 3X, 4X, 5CX, or even 6X. There are other design tricks as well that can be used to reduce the effect.

I can see RBE on an old DLP if I turn my head from side to side fast--I catch it out of the corner of my eye. I cannot see it on my Benq W5000 which I think has a 5X wheel.

You should view the DLP you plan to buy to make sure that it does not bother you with RBE. If I recall, the white on black credits at the end of a movie are a good place to try moving your head and/or eyes to see if you can induce the effect. Or watch a couple of movies and if you don't see it, forget it. Remember that it is largely a non-issue for most people on modern projectors. But you have to decide that for yourself.

I love the DLP picture. I find it better than LCD or LCOS. It's a question of taste. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to spend a lot of money to have a decent picture if you find a machine that makes a picture you think you can be happy with. The Benq W5000 floats my boat but it may not be your cup of tea. Use your eyes to look at pictures not read forums.

Good luck looking

AudioBear
post #927 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear View Post

You will get a few different opinions to your question. I think it's fair to say that the great majority of viewers do not see RBE, or are not bothered by it. There is another group that sees it and doesn't care. Finally, there is a group that I think is less than 5% who absolutely can't stand watching a picture through the RBE.

RBE is caused by the physics or optics of the moving wheel interacting with the way our visual perception is wired. Permit me an over-simplification of the DLP process. In DLPs, light is shined through a color wheel that spins. Typically the wheel will have the 3 primary colors, or 2 sets of 3 colors, and may have one or more additional colored or black sectors. The spinning wheel is timed with the DLP chip mirrors to reflect blue, green and red signal each time (or two times) the wheel turns one revolution. This creates the needed primary color components of the each frame of the signal which are then combined with lenses and projected. RBE is in part an artifact of this process in a 1 chip DLP. In a 3 chip DLP you won't see it. As it happens, the faster you spin the color wheel, the less visible is RBE. In recent years wheels have been made to spin faster. Originally they spun at 1X per frame. Now they spin at 3X, 4X, 5CX, or even 6X. There are other design tricks as well that can be used to reduce the effect.

I can see RBE on an old DLP if I turn my head from side to side fast--I catch it out of the corner of my eye. I cannot see it on my Benq W5000 which I think has a 5X wheel.

You should view the DLP you plan to buy to make sure that it does not bother you with RBE. If I recall, the white on black credits at the end of a movie are a good place to try moving your head and/or eyes to see if you can induce the effect. Or watch a couple of movies and if you don't see it, forget it. Remember that it is largely a non-issue for most people on modern projectors. But you have to decide that for yourself.

I love the DLP picture. I find it better than LCD or LCOS. It's a question of taste. Don't let anyone tell you that you need to spend a lot of money to have a decent picture if you find a machine that makes a picture you think you can be happy with. The Benq W5000 floats my boat but it may not be your cup of tea. Use your eyes to look at pictures not read forums.

Good luck looking

Thanks for the explanation. I basically knew what caused it, but it's nice seeing it laid out in detail (assuming you're not talking out your a). I've never seen a DLP projector, so I'm nervous about getting one.

Also, was the speed of the W6000's wheel ever actually determined? It seems it's been speculated about, but I'd have to go back to see if there was ever any evidence. I thought all literature on it was rather elusive...

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #928 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioBear View Post

Good luck looking

Thank you AudioBear for answering patiently. Since Iam in India, there are no dealers who has a demo pj for Benq W6000 to show off. I think I need to do more research in finding one for myself before purchase.

Thanks once again.
post #929 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Just check out any DLP projector, preferrable some newer one, as they have higher speed like 3x to 4x. I believe W6000 has 4x. If you can see RBE in a 4x DLP PJ, then it is very likely you will see RBE in W6000 as well. If you do not, then likely you will not see it in W6k.
post #930 of 2424 Old 09-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Actually if there is a DLP projector in a lecture hall at a school or university near you it will most likely have a 2x or 3x wheel at best. Business projectors are usually the same. If you can find a school or business with a DLP projector and can't see rainbows, you'll be fine. Remember most people do not see them.

I would venture a guess that if you've watched 10-20 lectures with different projectors you have seen many different DLPs. They are quite common.

AudioBear
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page